Plain [Romance/Drama/GxG] Yuri Jam 2016 (Released!)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Plain [Romance/Drama/GxG] Yuri Jam 2016 (Released!)

#1 Post by minyan »

Download it here: https://fablesoft.itch.io/plainvn

Story:

Riley is a completely unremarkable woman, if you were to ask her.
A plane ride towards a job that could change her destiny ends in disaster
when there's a critical engine failure during flight. It would be the end
for Riley too, were it not for a remarkable woman who claims to be
from the year 2165.

Yup, it's a time travel story folks.

Characters:

The protagonist. Riley was a sous chef for years, mistreated and underappreciated in the kitchen.
The very day she was going to interview for a position as head chef at a fancy restaurant, she was
in a plane crash and died. Or she would have been if she wasn’t brought to the future. But in this
world, cooking is a dying art, and she's the only one who can revive it. She decides to attempt being
a professional chef again in an attempt to prove she can make a significant contribution to society.
If she can't, however, the consequences could be far more severe than just having to go back to school.

A historian from the year 2165. Her job is to travel back in time and investigate events that happened in
the past without disrupting the future. She's a fun-loving woman who knows what she wants, and isn't
afraid to go after it. Finding Riley has made no significant contributions to society, she decides to bring her
into the future to allow her a second chance after hitting it off on the plane.

The head historian and a very strict, serious woman. She doesn't appreciate Max's nonsense and if the
woman wasn't so good at her job Cecilia would have fired her long ago. She respects confidence and intelligence.
Her outwardly frigid demeanor might make it hard for people to get a read on her, but Cecilia isn't afraid to
speak her mind and make her thoughts known.

Stats:

Word count: 40,000 words
Rating: 16 + for alcohol use and suggestive themes
Price: Free!

Team:
Head writer: Averxy
Second writer: Minyan
Sprite artist: Minyan
BG artist: Ludeshka
CG artist: pinkllama
GUI artist: Minyan
Programmer: BáiYù
Composer: warmsundae
Last edited by minyan on Sat May 06, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 19 times in total.
ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Plain [Romance/Drama/GxG] Yuri Jam 2016

#2 Post by Zelan »

Oh, you put this one up! :D

Are Cecilia and Max both potential love interests or is it just Max? Will there be any side characters? (I love Max's design, by the way.)

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild

#3 Post by minyan »

Zelan wrote:Oh, you put this one up! :D

Are Cecilia and Max both potential love interests or is it just Max? Will there be any side characters? (I love Max's design, by the way.)
Thank you!

Both of them, providing the writing can get done in time! As of now there are no important side characters but we shall see where the story takes our writers.
ImageImage

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

#4 Post by Avior »

As an avid fan of both time travel and airplanes, I'm really excited to play this! Haha :D

I really like the character designs and the art style; I think I'm most interested in Cecilia atm, but Max seems interesting too!

Anyway, best of luck with the jam! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished game.
Image Image

BáiYù
Regular
Completed: This Life Escapes Me, Up All Night, Lotus: The Self-Made Witch
Projects: Various
Organization: tofurocks, Fiendish Fiction, Spider Lily Studios
Github: baiyu-dev
itch: tofurocks

#5 Post by BáiYù »

Rubs my gay little hands together because the team is super great, we're actually ahead of schedule with some of the art thanks to Minyan and pinkllama, warmsundae has a few songs in progress, and Averxy is pushing on the script. At the rate they're going I'll have something to put together in Ren'Py soon, so I'm really excited about that!

For the time being, I have a temporary(?) page for the game up on my website here. It's pretty much the same as the thread OP, but yeah B^)
Games and supplementary Ren'Py codes

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by minyan »

Avior wrote:As an avid fan of both time travel and airplanes, I'm really excited to play this! Haha :D

I really like the character designs and the art style; I think I'm most interested in Cecilia atm, but Max seems interesting too!

Anyway, best of luck with the jam! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished game.
Thanks! I love both of our ladies >w< I hope both of them live up to your expectations!

I'm excited too, this is the first project in a while with a large team and everyone's just so great!
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by minyan »

Progress Update

Everything has been going amazingly well! For only four days into yuri jam we have one CG completed (which you can see the WIP of below) one in progress, all sprites and expressions, over 3,000 words of script, four amazing songs, and two lovely backgrounds! In addition to various GUI work complete. Yay for teamwork!
Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 8.46.13 PM.png
Will Riley get tired of those muffinflipping peanuts on that muffinflipping plane? Find out at the end of October!
ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

Huh, I wasn't aware that Samuel L. Jackson was going to be in this VN. cx

Wow, that's an amazing amount of progress for just four days! What do you guys plan on doing if you finish early?

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by minyan »

Official list of stretch goals from the Plain team:

BáiYù: Stretch Goals:
-2nd poses
-More CGs
-Lip Flaps and Blinking
-TRUE ROUTE
-Voice Acting
-Animated opening and ending video
lantern: voice acting!
BáiYù: -Become a 13 episode anime animated by STUDIO TRIGGER
Averxy: That's what we'll do if we finish early
Averxy: Become an anime
BáiYù -live action ice skating performance
Averxy: - full theatre production
lantern: an opera?
BáiYù -games based on source materal
BáiYù: wait
Minyan: -movie directed by michael bay
Averxy: - live action tv show that has 10 seasons
Minyan: - reboot by steven spielberg
Averxy: - be bought out by microsoft
Minyan: - never work again
ImageImage

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#10 Post by Crazy Cactus »

I like the sound of Riley as the down-on-her-luck underdog who's gone through quite a bit, and will really have to fight her way to achieving her dreams. It'll be interesting to see how the whole dynamic between her and Max goes down, plus (what I assume to be) the balance between history and cooking in the story.

I had a question about your logo though. I see what you're going with in terms of the name itself (Plane for plane crash, and Plain to describe Riley herself), but feel like it the actual design itself might need a bit more polish. Using the negative space like that for the "A" and the "N" for example is a neat idea, I just think it needs a bit more refinement, which maybe you already plan to do.

Will keep an eye open for poor Riley.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by minyan »

I'm glad you're interested in the game! I really like how the logo turned out, and the rest of the team did as well, but I'll try to tweak it to see if there's anything I can do to refine it more, thank you for your feedback.

Update
Here is a sneak peak of the start screen!
Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 6.11.26 PM.png
ImageImage

Averxy
Regular
Completed: Heartbaked, Ellaria: Cotton & Cream, Plain
Projects: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Organization: fablesoft.itch.io
Tumblr: FablesoftStudios

#12 Post by Averxy »

Everything is going amazingly well so far for this game. We have an amazing team and everybody is so fun to work with!!
Writing update!
So I'm really close to 9,000 words everything is pretty well outlined, and it's going at an amazing pace!

For music we have a lot of songs finished! Our composer is really good and pretty fast. We have a few CGs done/being done and the BGs are super cute. This game so far is gorgeous artwise, everybody is so talented and I really hope everybody who plays it will enjoy it!! I'm so excited to see the finished project.
WIP: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Check out Arena Circus, The Pretenders Guild, and Mnemonic Devices by Minyan!

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by minyan »

Art update! The start screen is just about done! Thank you to our bg artist ludeshka for the lovely time machine!
Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 11.01.26 PM.png
Almost forgot- Riley and Cecilia have one additional outfit now! Max has... half of one...
ImageImage

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#14 Post by Crazy Cactus »

minyan wrote:I'm glad you're interested in the game! I really like how the logo turned out, and the rest of the team did as well, but I'll try to tweak it to see if there's anything I can do to refine it more, thank you for your feedback.

Update
Here is a sneak peak of the start screen!
Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 6.11.26 PM.png
Actually, seeing the logo in the start screen helps a lot, since there's a lot less negative space and it works really well with where you've placed it. In addition, the overall design and color scheme (especially the circle with the similar shade of green) helps the logo/title to stand out much better.

Averxy
Regular
Projects: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Organization: fablesoft.itch.io
Tumblr: FablesoftStudios

#15 Post by Averxy »

Crazy Cactus wrote:Actually, seeing the logo in the start screen helps a lot, since there's a lot less negative space and it works really well with where you've placed it. In addition, the overall design and color scheme (especially the circle with the similar shade of green) helps the logo/title to stand out much better.
Ludeshka did an amazing job on the time machine! (The circle with the green is part of that.) It really pulled together the start screen and made it look amazing. Thanks for your input! We really appreciate it!!
WIP: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Check out Arena Circus, The Pretenders Guild, and Mnemonic Devices by Minyan!