Cupid's Affair [GxB][Otome][Fantasy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
morg
Regular
Projects: Cupid's Affair
Tumblr: n-morg

Cupid's Affair [GxB][Otome][Fantasy]

#1 Post by morg »

Synopsis
Cupid’s job- simply put- is to pair people together. She’s been doing so for quite a while, quiet content with things as they are. That is till one day her childhood friend confesses to her. What now? Her job is to make people fall in love, not fall in love herself! Can she reject him? Or will she attempt to fix the situation?
Characters

Protaganist - Auri
Even though she's only sixteen, she realises the importance of her job and likes to execute everything properly. When she's not busy with going by the orders of Venus, she likes to spend her time on earth, hanging out with Gallant and eating lots of junk food.

Personality: Optimistic, loyal, considerate, immature
Dislikes: Not fitting in with everyone else
Gallant
The sudden confessor and aforementioned childhood friend, Gallant is a shy guy who likes Auri a lot

Personality: Shy, caring, fretful
Dislikes: Exams, unpleasant surprises
Dulcinea
Dulcinea was the girl Gallant was originally supposed to be paired with. She has a pretty face, yet lacks charisma.

Dislikes: Being alone for too long
Levent
The passive and mysterious new guy, there's definitely something off about him.
Personality: Mature, calm, composed
Dislikes: Parties, large gatherings
Venus
Auri's much more responsible older sister. She is also a Deity of love, however, she never leaves the Sky.

Personality: patient, wise, melancholic

Screenshots

Overview
So, first of all, this is my first project and I've decided to be wise and make it fairly short, just so I can get a starter on making visual novels, and so I've settled make it light-hearted using the usual high school setting

since this visual novel will be light-hearted, there will be no warnings and it will be for free.

Game Features

• Six obtainable CGs
  • Four NPCs
  • Three endings
  • around 20k words
  • Custom sprites, CGs, and GUI!
  • Cute pixel art!

Progress

Outline: 100% -
Completed!
Sprites: 5/5 -
Completed!
CGs: 6/7
GUI: 100% -
Completed!
Writing: 90%
Questions
What's your opinion on the story so far?
Who's your favourite character at the moment?
Any suggestions/requests?
Any other comments or questions in general?

Credits

Art, Plot, programming, logo: Morg (me)
Writing: windchimesx
Backgrounds: k-after, annako
Pixel art: Lunacybunny
Engine: Ren'Py
Last edited by morg on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

Re: Cupid's Affair [GxB][Otome][Light]

#2 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

My opinion on the story?

I think the idea of Cupid herself falling in love is adorable, and I am interested to see how my choices change the story.

My favorite character?

Gallant. I love the shy guys, and he is simply adorable. I would give up my job as Cupid for him if I was the protagonist.

I'm not sure about the length, because I have never made a game before. I've written stories though, and all I can say is to make it as long or short as you want; write as much as you are comfortable with. It's your game, so do what you think is best, and have fun with it.

My only suggestion - or should I say request? - is to have the good end be Gallant and Auri ending up together. They would be such a cute couple!

Thank you for making this free! I keep getting disappointed when someone introduces an otome game, and then I find out it's commercial. Haha! I have no money for games, so I look for free ones whenever I can, but most otome games this year seem to be commercial, and that makes me sad.

This looks like a lovely game! I am sure I will enjoy it when it comes out~

morg
Regular

#3 Post by morg »

VocaloidsRCool wrote:My opinion on the story?

I think the idea of Cupid herself falling in love is adorable, and I am interested to see how my choices change the story.

My favorite character?

Gallant. I love the shy guys, and he is simply adorable. I would give up my job as Cupid for him if I was the protagonist.

I'm not sure about the length, because I have never made a game before. I've written stories though, and all I can say is to make it as long or short as you want; write as much as you are comfortable with. It's your game, so do what you think is best, and have fun with it.

My only suggestion - or should I say request? - is to have the good end be Gallant and Auri ending up together. They would be such a cute couple!

Thank you for making this free! I keep getting disappointed when someone introduces an otome game, and then I find out it's commercial. Haha! I have no money for games, so I look for free ones whenever I can, but most otome games this year seem to be commercial, and that makes me sad.

This looks like a lovely game! I am sure I will enjoy it when it comes out~
omg my first reply Thank you very much, and as for your request, I'll see what I can do :wink:
Oh, and you're welcome, since I also suffer from the same problem :lol:

morg
Regular

#4 Post by morg »

Update - 23/06

Sprites
I've made some progress on Venus' sprite, currently I'm at the coloring/shading stage. I've drawn extra expressions for Auri and Levent, one being this blush one for Auri
Writing
So far at I'm 4k words!

Programming/GUI
At the moment I'm designing the choice menu button, so far it looks like this
but I'm having a bit of problems one being the heart looks like it's melting and two, i'd like for the outline of the text to turn lilac when hovered, but it's not working. I have this piece of code;

Code: Select all

style.menu_choice_button.background = Frame("gui/choice_hover1.png",260,64)
    style.menu_choice_button.hover_background = Frame("gui/choice_hover2.png",260,64)
    style.menu_choice_button.top_padding = 20
    style.menu_choice_button.bottom_padding = 30
    style.menu_choice.hover_outlines = [(2, "#FFF", 0, 0)]
    style.menu_choice.outlines = [(2, "#ff80b1", 0, 0)]

If anyone has the solution, I'd be happy to hear it! otherwise I'll just have to compromise and redesign it completely :roll:

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

morg wrote: So, first of all, this is my first project and I've decided to be wise and make it fairly short, just so I can get a starter on making visual novels, and so I've settled make it light-hearted using the most cliche trope I can ever find.
I looked through tags and character traits on the Visual Novel Database today. The closest that I could find was Cupid Heroine, which has only two examples. I had no luck finding protagonists who act as matchmakers or cupids. Because of this, I don't think that your idea is cliche.
morg wrote: Do you think 10k words is too much or too little regarding the plot I have?
It could be fine. Create as much dialogue, description, and narration as you need. Write enough so that people care about your characters and their world.

morg
Regular

#6 Post by morg »

gekiganwing wrote:
morg wrote: So, first of all, this is my first project and I've decided to be wise and make it fairly short, just so I can get a starter on making visual novels, and so I've settled make it light-hearted using the most cliche trope I can ever find.
I looked through tags and character traits on the Visual Novel Database today. The closest that I could find was Cupid Heroine, which has only two examples. I had no luck finding protagonists who act as matchmakers or cupids. Because of this, I don't think that your idea is cliche.
morg wrote: Do you think 10k words is too much or too little regarding the plot I have?
It could be fine. Create as much dialogue, description, and narration as you need. Write enough so that people care about your characters and their world.
thanks! I was pretty sure I've seen this trait many times before, but it seems like was just me..
and I've chosen to have only 10k words because that's how much I've estimated I will need to finish the story. If I end up with more, that would be great.

morg
Regular

#7 Post by morg »

Updates!

Sprites

edited Dulcinea's face slightly
Before

After

Writing

Currently I'm at 5k which is great news - I've already bypassed one menu choice and still have three more left. I haven't gotten to the point where the player earns any CGs yet.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#8 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

Dulcinea looks lovely. Keep up the good work! :D

morg
Regular

#9 Post by morg »

VocaloidsRCool wrote:Dulcinea looks lovely. Keep up the good work! :D
thanks! heres an update;
Update
Sprites/Writing

I've done a load of expressions for each character, including an angry one each. I actually start out with just the basic expressions and as I write the script I take note of every time I need a new emotion. So I'm just at a point in the story where everyone is angry at eachother :D that calls for the wise Venus, who doesn't even have a sprite atm x.x

GUI

I've redone the choice menu button. It looks like this now
it's kinda lame, especially since it only becomes less transparent when hovered, but it's better than melting hearts or wonky ticks. (I made a version that showed a correct sign when hovered and it ended up looking messed up to say at the least. It wouldn't behave no matter how much I altered the padding)

Progress will be kind of slow this week because my friend's birthday is nearing and I'd like to make something nice :D

morg
Regular

#10 Post by morg »

Updates!

Okay, so it's been a long time and there's obviously gonna be a bunch of updates..

GUI

So I finished the GUI for the CG gallery and here it is!

and on the topic of CGs I've completed one already! here's a preview

that's it! I'll also be recruiting a co-writer because I'm not 100% on the writing. I just feel it's too rushed and to help me put my all in the art. so yeah, that's it!

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#11 Post by Windchimes »

What's your opinion on the story so far?
I like it! I've actually always been into the idea of an otome MC being a matchmaker for other people. Actually had a story idea for it before, so it's really cool to see a story about Cupid being the MC.

Who's your favourite character at the moment?
I think Gallant. I really like the shy guys xD

Do you think 10k words is too much or too little regarding the plot I have?

It really depends. From just your synopsis it sounds pretty simple, just one love interest and a light-hearted romance story, so 10k could probably be fine — as long as the romance doesn't feel too rushed. So it depends on your execution and whether you can make the romance develop realistically with only 10k — it can be done, imo, but it's usually harder obviously.

Any suggestions/requests?

C-can we date Levent? ;_; He makes me so curious about him haha.

Any other comments or questions in general?

Man your art is really pretty! It's so soft and beautiful! That CG preview omg.

Good luck on your project! Looking forward to playing it when it's done! :D

edel

#12 Post by edel »

What's your opinion on the story so far? The story fits the artstyle: they're both really cute :>

Who's your favourite character at the moment? ...levent.

Do you think 10k words is too much or too little regarding the plot I have? I don't think that's a bad number as a word count. As you write it might end up changing based on how the story goes, and that's fine too.

Any suggestions/requests? When I look at some of your screenshots, the font can be kinda hard to read because it's white on pink.

Any other comments or questions in general? Lookin forward to this coming out :D

morg
Regular

#13 Post by morg »

@windchimes Thanks a lot for your feedback! and yes well Levent will have a few scenarios to say at the least, haha

@edel, hi, thanks for your response! Yeah, you're right about the outline. I actually changed it to purple a while back but I still don't like it so I'm planning to revamp the GUI

the next update will either be a new CG or GUI update!

morg
Regular

#14 Post by morg »

Updates!

GUI

so a week or so later, there has been a GUI Revamp! here's the new quickmenu, textbox and choice menu

and the save/loads, main menu and confirm screens!

that leaves only the preferences (which is near completion) the gallery, and credits! it won't be long till they're done since I've gotten used to making the screens

Writing

the amazing windchimes has written around 10k words already- which means that the script will be extended to some 20k words! so basically the script is around 50% done

as for the other aspects such as finishing sprites and CGs, they won't be touched till i finish the GUI

morg
Regular

#15 Post by morg »

Updates!

the updates are a bit delayed because they consume their own time, but the project is being worked on!

Sprites

the Venus sprite is, after long delay, finally complete. I struggled a bit with the anatomy so I had to redo it a few times which is why it took ages
the best part is that she only has three expressions

I've also completed a batch of sprites for Dulcinea, Auri and doing a set for Gallant.
My favorite one this is one for Auri. Although I doubt i'll be using it, lol.

Sprites

One more CG complete! here's a preview;
who's she talking to? we'll never know

GUI

The GUI is complete! the only things left to preview are the preferences + gallery screens, but those will come in once I make the necessary tweaks to their bars.