Cloudnovel - The Easiest and Most Powerful Visual Novel Maker

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Sonya
Veteran
Completed: Café Rouge, Skights, High School Otome
Deviantart: winechan

Re: Cloudnovel - Create, publish, and play online visual nov

#16 Post by Sonya »

camisteja wrote:I love the UI and how user friendly everything looks but wouldn't it have made more sense for Cloudnovel to be software you could download like Ren'Py or potentially buy? It seems a little wasted to keep something like this limited to only browsers. I imagine some people might have liked to use Cloudnovel to make commercial games and that sort of thing. Would you ever consider making Cloudnovel into a downloadable program?
Hey there, actually we have downloadable visual novels now. It's the newest feature we have! ^^

If you want a sample, here's a downloadable version of my visual novel/quiz game "Eevee quiz"

This is the downloadable version (above link is to the original online version of the VN): http://www.mediafire.com/download/giag0 ... e+Quiz.zip

Sonya
Veteran

#17 Post by Sonya »

Downloadable visual novels are officially here! For only $2.99, download your visual novels to your desktop! (a tutorial on youtube will be posted soon, so stay tuned everyone!)

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#18 Post by firecat »

Sonya wrote:Downloadable visual novels are officially here! For only $2.99, download your visual novels to your desktop! (a tutorial on youtube will be posted soon, so stay tuned everyone!)

what if you not allowed to sell the music and art that you upload on cloudnovel? what can you do if a user uploads art from lets say official pokemon game (pokemon is heavy looked on by nintendo) ?

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Sonya
Veteran

#19 Post by Sonya »

Under the digital millennium copyright act we will take down all visual novels that infringes upon copyrighted work. Fan novels are okay as long as the art and assets is made 100% by the creator, but official pokemon art is prohibited. That would be violating nintendo copyright.

camisteja
Regular

#20 Post by camisteja »

Sonya wrote:
camisteja wrote:I love the UI and how user friendly everything looks but wouldn't it have made more sense for Cloudnovel to be software you could download like Ren'Py or potentially buy? It seems a little wasted to keep something like this limited to only browsers. I imagine some people might have liked to use Cloudnovel to make commercial games and that sort of thing. Would you ever consider making Cloudnovel into a downloadable program?
Hey there, actually we have downloadable visual novels now. It's the newest feature we have! ^^

If you want a sample, here's a downloadable version of my visual novel/quiz game "Eevee quiz"

This is the downloadable version (above link is to the original online version of the VN): http://www.mediafire.com/download/giag0 ... e+Quiz.zip
Wow, I am impressed that you included this! Thank you very much. :D

Sonya
Veteran

#21 Post by Sonya »

camisteja wrote:
Wow, I am impressed that you included this! Thank you very much. :D
No prob! :)

Bryy
Veteran
Completed: 30+ games so far
Projects: Furry Shakespeare
Organization: Stegalosaurus Game Development

#22 Post by Bryy »

How easy does it work with Steam? (Acheevs, etc.)

Sonya
Veteran

#23 Post by Sonya »

Bryy wrote:How easy does it work with Steam? (Acheevs, etc.)
Hi well I'm not sure how Steam works, since CloudNovel is mainly a web visual novel site, we have few people downloading their visual novels because they get more traffic via browser.

All I do know is you can download your visual novel (it's free on CloudNovel now via point purchase) put it together and sell it on steam. That's all I know, I don't know how to set up achievements in the game itself with Steam.

If you want you can suggest it in our questions and suggestions forum, I just set it up today because a few users on the site wanted one: http://cloudnovel.net/viewforum.php?f=30

Sorry if I can't be of much help, if you want it THAT badly I can probably figure it out.

Sonya
Veteran

#24 Post by Sonya »

Hey guys, so I've realized I've been really lazy, and for a while now Ren'Py has had some features that CloudNovel lacks, like the screen feature, multiple textboxes, etc etc etc, and I've come to terms as to why we don't have them is because, well, I'm a lazy bum who didn't bother adding them in months ago.

I apologize, I know because of this, Ren'Py has more capabilities than CloudNovel does (for now).

But things are going to change. From today on out, I will be copying EVERYTHING Ren'Py has to CloudNovel, and I will be making a user interface to build with it, so nobody has to learn code at all, and graphic user interfaces make people's lives much easier. One example is the screens Ren'Py has, as you can see on this page: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html where you can make title screens, extra screens, CG screen, and other types of useful screens.

WEll I'm in the process of building a graphic user interface to build screens, and it'll work just like the scenes, where you can add images, characters, sound, buttons/hotspots, and you can have a timeline to even animate your screen. Take a look at my prototype:

Anyway seeing as how soon (and surprisingly easier it was to make the prototype), we'll be having the screens available on CloudNovel definitely before the end of the year, probably before Thanksgiving time (yay turkey!)

Anyhoo, I won't rest until everything is copied from Ren'Py to CloudNovel, so be prepared for lots of new features coming soon to CloudNovel :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#25 Post by PyTom »

Sonya wrote:Ren'Py has more capabilities than CloudNovel does
nobody has to learn code at all
I'd dare say that the latter is the reason for the former.

First off all, calling it code is really a bad name - it's programming, which is really the composition of simple functions into more complex ones. It's programming regardless of how you do it - you can use your choice of one of the many text editors, or you can use a bespoke GUI editor, but you're still composing simple functions (Display dialogue, play music, show a picture, create button) into larger ones (chapters of the game, gui screens, and the game itself).

Ren'Py gives you the capability of extending Ren'Py itself. You can put together a custom action, and add that into a screen. The custom action is no different than many of the actions included with Ren'Py itself. (The same pattern repeats in a lot of other places - ATL, CDDs, ImageDissolve, BarValues, InputValues, Screens, Characters, Transforms, Transitions - and probably a few more that I'm too tired to think of.) That lets sophisticated creators extend Ren'Py in ways I didn't anticipate. (I can make educated guesses about how the 3d camera works - but I haven't looked into it enough to know, yet.)

I don't mind people making other engines - it's good that people have a choice. But it is important to understand why Ren'Py has the capabilities it has.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

кролик девушка

#26 Post by кролик девушка »

please no make downloadable a buy thing, idea of broswer is good but only in website is not ok.

Sonya
Veteran

#27 Post by Sonya »

Just an update, you can now make screens on your CloudNovel, that's right, CG screens, extra screens, etc (and right now the main menu/opening screen is not available yet, but I will probably finish that tomorrow)

Also, CloudNovel had a camera function LONG before Ren'Py did: http://cloudnovel.net/play?n=b1469df3c6 ... a78b5b244e

This animation was made before CloudNovel was even released, back in 2013.

We're still working on the parallax effect, but that can be easily implemented to our system. :wink:

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#28 Post by LizardRobot »

Really excited to see the expansion in Cloudnovel's capabilities, I might have to see if it can handle what I'm doing! (I've been trying to hold out for Degica's VN Maker but there's still no update on its release.)

Sonya
Veteran

#29 Post by Sonya »

LizardRobot wrote:Really excited to see the expansion in Cloudnovel's capabilities, I might have to see if it can handle what I'm doing! (I've been trying to hold out for Degica's VN Maker but there's still no update on its release.)
Hey there, if I can ask what are you interested in having in terms of CloudNovel handling the capabilities of your visual novel? If you can tell me now the faster I can work on it to add it to our website!

Also to some people wondering, I'm currently copying the live composite feature of Renpy, we already have sprite sheet animation for character and image assets, but we will add layers of animation to a character so it can be blinking, hair moving, or other small animations. Once we have live composite on CloudNovel, I will be able to copy even more features to CloudNovel! CloudNovel's live composite will be mostly likely done beginning of November, so stay tuned!

Sonya
Veteran

#30 Post by Sonya »

here is our first tutorial on how to use the new screens feature!