A Massive, Collaborative Visual Novel-- with a twist!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
pinqo
Regular
Projects: secret Σ(ノ°▽°)ノ
Tumblr: pinqo
Deviantart: pinqo

A Massive, Collaborative Visual Novel-- with a twist!

#1 Post by pinqo »

hello!

i saw the thread that originally mentioned the idea of creating a VN with 100 people or so because lots of vndevs usually can't/don't finish.

what if... there was one project where it started with a small group and give them a time limit (say 1 week), then it moves onto a next group with the same time limit. it will be based off of the last snippet of scenes that was made thus far. of course, it would be hard at the same time because coders have to adapt, art styles will change (which i don't think would be necessarily bad! it'll be unique, for sure), etc. but i do recall seeing several collaborative animation videos done by hundreds of artists (the most recent one i can think of is a sailor moon animation collaboration video). maybe use a similar idea for a visual novel? ^^

sorry if this sounds like a silly or stupid idea! but the last topic got my mind rolling.

what do people think? c:
Last edited by pinqo on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: A Massive, Collaborative Visual Novel-- with a twist!

#2 Post by indoneko »

Hm... a rolling/continuous development game project? I've seen it done for manga and animation, so I'm sure it can be done for VN too.... at least for episodic/short games. The game's world/setting & characters need to be developed first before starting the actual game production, and there should be a coordinating board to manage all of the circles and making sure that the project runs smoothly.
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

pinqo
Regular

#3 Post by pinqo »

yea! that would be cool. there could be a "Main" group who sort of comes up with the core world/setting/characters, and then after setting down the foundation of the VN world, they can start off by developing like "chapter 1" of the VN (it can be a short 10k snippet), and then pass it off to the next group who can spin off their story based on chapter 1. the 3rd group would make "chapter 3" and base it off of the previous 2 chapters if they'd like. Any new group can come up with their own "part" within the world and create new characters, etc.

It definitely does sound like a lot of work, but it gives people a chance to collaborate for a short amount of time without committing to 1 huge project.

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

#4 Post by Divona »

pinqo wrote:there was one project where it started with a small group and give them a time limit (say 1 week), then it moves onto a next group with the same time limit. it will be based off of the last snippet of scenes that was made thus far. of course, it would be hard at the same time because coders have to adapt, art styles will change (which i don't think would be necessarily bad! it'll be unique, for sure), etc. but i do recall seeing several collaborative animation videos done by hundreds of artists (the most recent one i can think of is a sailor moon animation collaboration video). maybe use a similar idea for a visual novel? ^^
This kinda remind me of Star Wars Uncut. The actual movie cut out into 15 second clips, fan can pick the scene they want and remake them in their own style. Then, it all put back together.

I wouldn't say coders has to adapt much, as Ren'Py script would still be Ren'Py script. The GUI however...

Yup, this is do-able, and I do like to see it happen. Even if the group still haven't quite finish their chapter, one week is one week. The next group will have to continue where it left off, I supposed. :twisted:
Completed:

edel

#5 Post by edel »

This sounds like it could be really interesting and has a lot of potential to go some creative places.

I like it! It kinda sounds like a not-date-specific NanorenO

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

I kind of am a bit skeptical about big collaboration threads like this - they seem to never actually produce anything. But I'll see if putting a deadline on this thread brings it to life. Say - 1 week for organization, and 1 to get the first chapter done. If it's not out by then, I'll lock it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#7 Post by Fuseblower »

I think something like this could work if the story itself is episodic in nature and has a single protagonist. The episodes should be more or less self-contained. The story on a whole will probably be quite surrealistical.

Let's say a salary man in Tokyo explains to his boss why he's late for work. The overall story plays in flashbacks (the flashbacks are the episodes).

So, each episode presents a problem that needs to be resolved in order to solve the bigger problem of arriving at work in time. The episodes are knit together by the single protagonist who is constantly worrying about getting to the office in time.

The bridge between the episodes could be a single CG of the salary man talking to his boss. "...And that took care of the tentacle monster that escaped from Ueno Zoo. I realised I was running late for work so I hurried to the station when suddenly I fell into a time vortex. I found myself in the midst of a Viking battle!". Just a piece of text to string together the previous episode that dealt with a fight with a tentacle monster (lots of Hentai opportunities there!) and the next episode that sees our salary man in Scandinavia dealing with Vikings and solving the problem of how to get back to his own time.

Of course, it doesn't have to be a salary man (I'm partial to a hot school girl) but the basic gist is to have an overarching problem and have the episodes deal with sub problems. Allowing surrealism allows for wildly different episodes.

OR : a Doctor Who format can be followed. Just a guy in his time machine.

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Divona »

Fuseblower wrote:A Doctor Who format can be followed. Just a guy in his time machine.
I'm all for a salary man and hot/cute high school girl on a surreal adventure. :lol:
Now, just need someone to fire the first shot (start writing the beginning) to keep the ball rolling.

First scene: A salary man try to explains to the boss, why he is late for work.
Completed:

pinqo
Regular

#9 Post by pinqo »

ahhh! if people are willing to pull together to start something like this, i wouldn't mind participating for the first group! i'd only be able to do a few characters and maybe 1 or 2 CG's > ~ <

if anyone else would like to do this with me, please let me know and we can get the ball rolling! :D

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

#10 Post by TheJerminator15 »

I'd be up for it myself as a writer, but I've also seen a few of these threads with nothing actually coming off of them so I'm quite skeptical.

The actual premise and such would need to be ironed out beforehand so the groups know what they are working with, as would the format used to address the different styles every week. The Dr Who idea is a good, I'd also suggest using a premise similar to Space Dandy, which covers everything up through the statement that each new episode was set in a different universe. It could also be used to explain the differing artstyles.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Divona »

Let's me sum things up:

Organization Deadline: 18 October 2016
1st Chapter Deadline: 25 October 2016

With the above deadline, how would you set the schedule? With organization period, I rather have writer onboard right away and working on the script for the first chapter. Then you will have more time to bring that script to Ren'Py, and pinqo can work on the art.

1. You need to find and assign teams who are interesting to do this, at least one who can start writing the 1st chapter story right away.
2. To keep things moving, would be great to have another team ready to pick up and continue from 25 Oct to 1st Nov, and so on.
3. Start off small. For the first scene I doubt that you need more than three characters. Forget about polishing anything, just need to get it done.
4. Use the build in GUI from Ren'Py. It is functional, and no need to work on them at this point in time.
5. If you can't find anyone to put the script together in Ren'Py, I'll hop in to help out to get thing going for the first week before the 1st chapter deadline.
6. Put everything on this post, script, arts, and make them creative common. This will help avoid problem at later date, and will keep the project going with no side issue. A whole point of this is to actually make something, and get it done, right?
7. With limited time you have, if there is no one else jump on to help out with background arts, sounds, or music. Creative common materials would be your friend.

So, TheJerminator15, if you would help with the script then please start with the draft. At this point all creative input, story wise, will rest in your hands. Once that's completed, pinqo can jump in and sketch up the characters.

@TheJerminator15: Would you like to tell us here of when script will be done by? About the premise, since you're the first who start the story, it's all you as a writer to decide which direction you will begin. Other team will continue where you left of, and you will never know which direction they will take, so no worry about this. It's like Improv Olympic game.

@pinqo, how long do you think it will take you to do the art for 2-3 characters?
Completed:

edel

#12 Post by edel »

I'd be willing to write for whatever chapter, if each group only has one writer.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by indoneko »

It's good to be enthusiastic about this project, but somehow I feel like we're putting the cart before the horse. Since this is the creator's corner sub forum then I think it's better if we focus the discussion on the concept exploration first, followed by requirement specification and design. We can always put the project recruitment later (along with the actual game content discussion) in the WIP sub forum when we have already reached the implementation stage...
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

pinqo
Regular

#14 Post by pinqo »

i definitely agree with indoneko! we should probably flesh out the idea first and then go to the recruiting stage after.

@divona: if they're very simple characters with minimal details, i can pump out 2-3 characters in a (weekend) day or 1 character a (week) day. if they're more detailed, well-- will probably take a lot longer. T ~ T;;

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Divona »

indoneko wrote:It's good to be enthusiastic about this project, but somehow I feel like we're putting the cart before the horse. Since this is the creator's corner sub forum then I think it's better if we focus the discussion on the concept exploration first, followed by requirement specification and design. We can always put the project recruitment later (along with the actual game content discussion) in the WIP sub forum when we have already reached the implementation stage...
It would be nice to have some further input on what thing should be, but just have to keep in mind that we do have deadline of when the first chapter need to be done by, in playable form, which is around a week and a half from now. Many of the project of this kind doesn't get going past the design stage because there just isn't enough fire to push people up and actually working on it instead of day-dreaming.

So from my experience, it's best to have whatever it is out there with the time we have. By then, it will be WIP once the foundation is there for others to pick up and continue on the work.

@pinqo, that's good to know. With the time frame, that should work just fine. Now it's a matter if we will have script to work on, preferably...by Monday or Tuesday. :shock:

This remind me of 48 hours filmmaking competition all over again...

Let's me list up on those wanted to get involves so far:

Writers
TheJerminator15 - Please leave confirmation that you will be working on the script for the first chapter.
edel - Please be on standby, if TheJerminator15 can't work on the script, you shall get to work on the first chapter.

Artists
pinqo
Completed: