Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale|Fantasy] NEW DEMO

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale|Fantasy]

#16 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Ahhh this is still looking as fantastic as ever, I still haven't gotten the chance to play the original NaNo version, but I'll eventually get to it--will keep me satisfied while I wait for this!
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#17 Post by Windchimes »

@melolee:
No problem! Hope you enjoy it xD

@Kokoro Hane:
Hey! Thanks for leaving a comment! :D
Don't worry! I hear a lot of fans are actually planning to wait till the full game is out before playing it for the full experience. xD Admittedly, some things in the NaNo version are rushed and could be much improved on, which is what we're doing in this expansion, so yeah! But if you do find time to play it, we hope you enjoy it! :)
Thank you again for the interest <3

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#18 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Windchimes wrote: @Kokoro Hane:
Hey! Thanks for leaving a comment! :D
Don't worry! I hear a lot of fans are actually planning to wait till the full game is out before playing it for the full experience. xD Admittedly, some things in the NaNo version are rushed and could be much improved on, which is what we're doing in this expansion, so yeah! But if you do find time to play it, we hope you enjoy it! :)
Thank you again for the interest <3
I love to compare versions, plus if things are changed, I like to spot them ahaha. I'd just been so busy with my own game that it escapes me, but I do plan to play the NaNo for a quick run!
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

MissArel

#19 Post by MissArel »

1. Did you play the NaNoRenO version of LiD? What did you think of it?
Yeah, I played the NaNoRenO version, and im so happy that i will play as Princess Charming again :3 I really like the first version, Prince Mer is my bae <3

2. Any thoughts or comments about the story premise/characters so far?
I like the story and the characters and im so curious about the new ones ^^

3. Who is your favorite character at the moment?
Prince Mer for sure :D

4. Which love interest do you think you will pursue first?
I already played everyone's route except Prince Ellis, so I will be playing his route :D

5. Any other comments or questions?
I would be so happy if I could persue Mulan! <3

Windchimes
Veteran

#20 Post by Windchimes »

@Kokoro Hane:
Haha, I do like to play demos for that reason too, so I feel you. xD Good luck for your own project! :) If you do find the time to play the NaNo version of LiD, feel free to leave any comments if you have any ;; We'd love to hear them <3

@MissArel:
Hello! Thank you for commenting :D
Glad to hear you enjoyed the NaNo version. :)
Actually, Nicholl didn't have a route in the NaNo version xD But he'll have one in this version, along with Ellis (and the routes for the two yet-to-be-announced new chars -- Hood and Beau). So there will be four new routes in total for this version, and each of the three old routes will be 2x as long as before :)
Unfortunately, we won't be doing additional routes because the 7 planned routes are already taking up a lot of time haha. So we won't be doing a route on Mulan. Sorry about that!
Thanks again for commenting!

----
Shameless plugging: Three of us in the Lads in Distress team (the two writers + CG artist) are taking a short break from LiD after finishing majority of our tasks to work on another otome together, called Red String of Fate! It will be free as well, and we should have the demo out soon. Check it out here if you'd like to see more of our work! <3 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=40886

MissArel

#21 Post by MissArel »

Windchimes wrote:
@MissArel:
Hello! Thank you for commenting :D
Glad to hear you enjoyed the NaNo version. :)
Actually, Nicholl didn't have a route in the NaNo version xD But he'll have one in this version, along with Ellis (and the routes for the two yet-to-be-announced new chars -- Hood and Beau). So there will be four new routes in total for this version, and each of the three old routes will be 2x as long as before :)
Unfortunately, we won't be doing additional routes because the 7 planned routes are already taking up a lot of time haha. So we won't be doing a route on Mulan. Sorry about that!
Thanks again for commenting!

----
Well I said everyone but I wasnt talking about Nicholl since he was a support character :P

Oooh I didnt know we can romance Nicholl in this version, I didnt read it very well I guess, lol I am dumb :D

I know 7 is more than enough so im not sad :3 Thank you dor making this awesome game!

Windchimes
Veteran

#22 Post by Windchimes »

Hey guys! It's been a while since I had a major update to post here, but we're still alive and working on the project! Elze has finished another love interest's sprite — Prince Beau, based loosely on Sleeping Beauty:

And this is his character profile:

What do you guys think about Beau?

Next one up is Hood — he'll also be our last bachelor for the full game. Stay tuned~

theshrimplord
Regular

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale|Fantasy] NEW PRI

#23 Post by theshrimplord »

So I was actually about to replay my download of 'Lads in Distress' from your NaNo run when I saw the thread pop up in completed games with new replies. I was curious and oh boy am I glad that I followed the thread! I am so excited to hear you are expanding on the game, it has definitely been one of my favorite otomes to date.

Yes, I did. It absolutely blew me away! I could not stop playing and finished every possible route on my own, then got some help to finish EVERY route. The art and writing together are simply amazing and it is such a unique game. Also, seeing MC as someone other than the 'helpless female' was such a breath of fresh air!
I am excited to see the addition of 3 new princes and expansion on existing routes. Before, I did feel as if the routes were a bit fast, but it was a 'good' fast rather than a 'this is unfinished' fast. Hopefully, though, the speed will be more genuine with longer routes! The story is very intriguing to me (as it was the first time around)
From NaNo: Prince Mer
Out of all the choices in the NaNo version, his was the most 'genuine' I felt. I fell for Mer from our first meeting and his good ending was so, so sweet for me. His backstory with the 'true' prince was such a twist to me
From the preview: Prince Beau. I really like his design and Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite tales. His curse seems so... difficult to overcome. I'm excited to see how his route ends.
Probably Prince Beau just to get a new ending first, then I want to go back and complete Prince Mer's extended route.
Is there any way to donate/fund you guys? Whenever I have extra cash I prefer to put it towards small businesses, artists, and general creators I admire. I would love to give you something, especially with this expansion of the game.
Also, in not-so-happy response, I'm kinda sad to see that there are no POC characters. I would love to see a more diverse cast and I feel that it would make the game more appealing to a wider array of people. Everyone likes to recognized and included.
WIP: Kingdoms Collide (fantasy, otome, gxb)

Windchimes
Veteran

#24 Post by Windchimes »

@theshrimplord:
Hello! Sorry for the late reply (been busy with holidays). Thank you for commenting!
Thank you so much for the compliments about the game :"D Yeah, we agree, the routes were a bit fast and rushed ;_; So we want to fix this in the extended edition. Hopefully, it'll be better and the story will feel more rounded and complete!
Ahh thank you so much for wanting to donate to us! We don't currently have plans to do donations for this project/team, but thank you so much for wanting to fund us ;_; That makes us really happy to hear.
About the lack of POC characters in LiD, we totally understand that diversity is important, especially since half of the team consists of Asian females xD It wasn't a deliberate choice, nor is it any excuse, but the main reason is that since our characters are mostly based off fairy tales, just genderbending them, we kinda subconsciously stuck to the fact that those characters (e.g. Prince Charming, Rapunzel, Snow White etc) were white in the original fairy tales and didn't make them POC instead. We chose those fairy tales because they were the most well-known fairy tales that we felt we could portray them with interesting, fresh twists, so yep ;_; We definitely apologize to any fans that are disappointed about the lack of racial diversity in the characters >< It wasn't our deliberate intention at all. Really sorry about your disappointment! ;_;
Thank you again for leaving a comment and playing our NaNo version of the game!

Windchimes
Veteran

#25 Post by Windchimes »

Forgot to post this earlier, but we're currently doing a character design contest for a side character — Dahlia, the dark witch — to celebrate New Years! Deadline is 24th Jan, 2017, so there's still 2 weeks to go if you want to enter :)

If anyone's interested, please read through this post for more details: http://ladsindistress.tumblr.com/post/1 ... gn-contest

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale|Fantasy] CONTEST

#26 Post by Kumiho »

Hey, everyone!! :) We'll be hosting an AMA on Tumblr, and we decided to announce it on LSF as well!
The full details & background about our team members can be found here! Please send us lots of asks, we're lonely okay ;u;

yundun63
Completed: None so far
Projects: None so far

#27 Post by yundun63 »

Very excited!
Last edited by yundun63 on Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NiKaWo
Regular
itch: NiKaWo

#28 Post by NiKaWo »

And can't believe I never replied to this either....... I know you already know my answers to pretty much all of these, but I wanted to answer anyway.

1. Did you play the NaNoRenO version of LiD? What did you think of it? - Yes! I liked it a lot, the premise was interesting and the character's were very vibrant and engaging. I imagine that their personalities/the story/lore shall be expanded upon even further in the final game, something I am very much looking forward to.

2. Any thoughts or comments about the story premise/characters so far? - 10/10, two thumbs up, 5 stars, etc... Basically I love it and am so excited to see what the final product will be like.

3. Who is your favorite character at the moment? - I, uh, hope you already know the answer to this, but it's Nicholl!! I do also really like Charming, she's very different from most otome MCs (in a good way, not to say that most MCs are bad... You know what I'm trying to say, hopefully.)

4. Which love interest do you think you will pursue first? - Since I go in the order of routes I am least-to-most interested in (though I am excited for all of them, I promise!!) it'll probably be something like Ellis -> Zel -> Mer -> Beau -> Snow -> Nicholl

5. Any other comments or questions? - I love pretty much everything about this project, thanks so much to the entire team for all your hard work! I'm counting down the days to the demo release :) (and hours, minutes, etc... thank you countdown app)

(Also, you may want to make a note on this page that there are now going to be 6 LI's/12 endings, just to prevent confusion)

MiracleCatZ
Projects: pawZ
Organization: MiracleCatZ

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale|Fantasy] NEW DEMO

#29 Post by MiracleCatZ »

I did actually, and I enjoyed playing it greatly! Though I was sad that Nicholl wasn't in the NaNoRenO version. I had fun exploring the different endings though, I do say that Mer's second ending, had guffawing with laughter by the end of it. I feel that though the game itself was finished in a rush, that it was still enjoyable for a laugh -a lot of laughs-. I can't wait to see how your new premise, and demo upload turns out. I am looking extremely forward to it.

To be honest? I've been excited about this game since a friend recommended it to me about two months ago I think. The first of August will make it about three. I am in love with the reverse gender roles in this story. Taking iconic 'princesses' and turning them into dashingly helpless lads in quite a bit of distress. I can't help but get cheery and happy feelings from the game here.

As for characters.. I won't deny that Nicholl does indeed remind me of a whipped puppy dog sometimes, which is why I felt a little sad when he wasn't in the NaNoRenO version. However, I did give your demo a try tonight and he was the first on my mind. Partly why I'm answering the questions is that I'm so ecstatic about Nicholl's and Mer's routes! They were great to read, and I was amazingly surprised at the new content from Mer's route. I hope to be astounded once more once the team completes the entirety of the game!

Well not to repeat myself already but my favorite character is a tie between Prince Mer, and of course the cutest little kicked puppy ever, Nicholl. Seriously the poor guy reminds me of a wounded puppy in all the routes he was part of in the NaNoRenO version. As if he had something in mind to say, but couldn't.

Prince Mer once the full version comes out, the new always excites me. Then Nicholl will be last, because I want to build the tension of not knowing what happens for very last. Since he is the number one lad in distress in my personal book.

I want to know if any of the members of the LiD crew thought Nicholl was in any way similar to a poor kicked puppy? Is it just me who thinks that?

What, how did the team plan the novel? Like how did the idea of reversing the princess roles to princes come to fruition? Was it a random spur of the moment or a plan from the very start?