which are the most popular (complete) VNs on LSF?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
jikkibot
Projects: "Love, Zazie"

which are the most popular (complete) VNs on LSF?

#1 Post by jikkibot »

Hey guys,

forgive me (and feel free to delete this topic) if this topic is in the wrong place. I tried searching through the forum for an answer/previous discussion, but no luck...

Anyway, I was reading through Player's Pavillion > Completed Games. There are so many completed projects! Very impressive :)
After reading through the first list of recently completed projects, I started to wonder how I could find the most popular/most loved visual novels produced by members here. Can anyone help direct me?

How can I find the most popular VNs completed by LSF members?

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

Re: which are the most popular (complete) VNs on LSF?

#2 Post by firecat »

moonlight walks is one popular game, many found it before any other games they played here: http://games.renpy.org/game/mwalks

long live the queen is a copy of princess maker: http://games.renpy.org/game/long-live-the-queen

Highway Blossoms is a nice tale about two girls on a roadtrip: found at Steam

There was more but i cant remember.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#3 Post by Caveat Lector »

Hmm...that may be a bit tricky to figure out off-hand. One strategy I can suggest is calculating popularity by number of replies/pages, but even that's not a total guarantee, because a) popularity can be fickle, and b) it's possible for a VN to receive not much buzz or huzzah on lsf but still be widely praised or popular elsewhere. I assume you're looking for relatively popular games released on lsf, not just most popular commercial OELVN's, correct? Off the top of my head:

. That cheap and sacred thing: A sweet little drama about a girl remembering her robotic nanny, and the impact this friendship had on her: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10574

. Knife of the Traitor: A comedy about a princess who struggles to find out how and why she wound up with a knife in her neck: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14640

. The Dreaming: A psychological horror about a psychiatrist who finds her own sanity unraveling the more she attempts to understand her patient: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5590
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

CaveatLector, I have never hear of the three games you mentioned...not even once!

I suppose what the OP might be looking for is downloading statistics...but I don't think that is something we can get because people download from different places: the LSF boards, the Renpy games database, itch.io, Steam, personal websites. How are we to judge downloads.

What does popular mean?
Is it downloads?
Is it sales?

Or does the OP mean critical reception? There are games that may not have been downloaded as much as others, but have won awards, or been praised by critics, or that are taught in university classes. Do we mean that?

Also, what does th OP mean by VNs on LSF?
There are games that wer not advertised heavily or at all on LSF, but that are Ren'py games which makes me think of them as part of LSF. There are so me games that are not made with Ren'py but that were heavily advertised on LSF.

Does "popular VNs on LSF" mean popular in the wilder world or popular only on LSF? So popular with whom?

I ask all these questions because it changes the possible answers.

For example:

Long Live the Queen and the works by Winter Wolves like Loren Amazon Princess seem to be very financially successful and successful in the broader world.

But there are LSF locals that seem to be very popular here though they aren't on Steam, like the works of Cyanide Tea and Donmai and so many others.

On the other hand, works like Analogue: A Hate Story or Cinders have great critical acclaim.

Cave Cave Deus Videt has won an international award.

Coming Out On Top seems really popular in gay male spaces (not VN spaces) that I frequent.

I mean...how to answer that question?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#5 Post by Rinima »

@trooper6
How have you not heard of That cheap and sacred thing? The other two fair game, I've not heard of them either XD

I think Alistair++ is one most have heard of/was once very popular. I think Break chance memento is fairly well known as well. 2nd Cinders and Analogue: A Hate Story, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't heard of at least one of those two. I believe Love's newest game has done fairly well as well "Ladykiller in a Bind"?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#6 Post by Donmai »

jikkibot wrote:I was reading through Player's Pavillion > Completed Games. There are so many completed projects!
I believe that's the universe the OP is talking about. As trooper6 said, there are many ways we can understand the word 'popular'. If I was to pick some of the games released here (they are so many I could list, say, ten, and many people will say "never heard of it" :lol: ) I would remember some games that had a great impact on the forum community (most of the members here are also game developers) and on people that come here simply after good games to play. From the top of my head, I would list:
  • RE: Alistair++, by SakeVisual
    Hierofania, by ludeshka
    Ristorante Amore, by Cyanide Tea
    Locked-In, by saguaro
Never heard of them? Really?
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#7 Post by Mammon »

I think the best way to find out what VN's to read would be the same as what most people do for movies, anime series, etc. Find a reviewer who shares your opinions: someone whose comment says pretty much the same things as you where thinking about a VN you already played. Then play a few VN's they gave praise and see if your opinion matches theirs still. Then you'll have a list of VN's worth trying based upon someone's fresh and accurate opinions from back when they just played it, and because it's their own opinion rather than a recommendation of what they think you might like it's more reliable too.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Kuiper
Regular
Completed: Cursed Lands, Trial by Fire
Projects: Necrobarista, Idol Manager
Organization: Route 59 Games
Tumblr: kuiperblog

#8 Post by Kuiper »

trooper6 wrote:Long Live the Queen and the works by Winter Wolves like Loren Amazon Princess seem to be very financially successful and successful in the broader world.
I think it's also worth pointing out that both of these developers (which are two of the largest developers that have their "roots" on LSF) have their own separate community forums. If you want to talk about LLTQ, you can go to the Hanako games community forums, and likewise, if you want to talk about any Winter Wolves game, you can find a specific forum for that as well. I imagine this has the effect of causing their threads to get less discussion on LSF than they might otherwise, especially since each of their games has its own separate board, whereas on LSF each game tends to be condensed to a single thread.

VNDB popularity can be an interesting metric to look at. If you check VNs tagged as "NaNoRenO" and sort by popularity, the top two titles (Digital: A Love Story and Don't Take it Personally Babe) are both Christine Love games. If you just look at VNs that were originally written in English, the most popular ones excluding Nekopara are Katawa Shoujo, Go Go Nippon, Juniper's Knot, Analog: A Hate Story, and RE: Alistair.
Necrobarista - serve coffee to the living and the dead
Idol Manager - experience the glamour and dangers of the pop idol industry
Cursed Lands - a mix of high fantasy and gothic horror

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#9 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

I would look at the VNDB masterlist under the English + popularity filters, and see which VNs have topics that originated on LSF via search.

Honest Critique

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#10 Post by Rossfellow »

My list seems to be quite different from the ones posted so far. They're Ren'py origin titles that are either not advertised in LSF or didn't receive as strong a reception from LSF, but have been highly successful outside of it.

SC2VN by Team Eleven.
Va-11 Hall-A by Sukeban Games.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

jikkibot
Projects: "Love, Zazie"

#11 Post by jikkibot »

Hi everyone,

thank you all so much for your helpful contributions. I really appreciate all of your answers.
Sorry I went quiet for a while. It's wedding season now, and I don't have as much free time to attend properly to fun things like this.

Still, after reading through all of your replies, I found Green Glasses Girl's answer the most helpful:
Green Glasses Girl wrote:I would look at the VNDB masterlist under the English + popularity filters, and see which VNs have topics that originated on LSF via search.
This is the most objective answer to my poorly phrased, subjective question.
The filtering really helped, but I couldn't find many VNs that were related to Ren'Py or LSF.

I'm going to check out all of the other VNs that people listed in their answers too.
Thanks again everyone.