(Political Talk) Donald J. Trump as the 45th POTUS

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

(Political Talk) Donald J. Trump as the 45th POTUS

#1 Post by Mama J »

Post contains personal opinions and sensitive information.

Late last night, Trump won presidency. I have read a lot of articles that are anti-Trump, making their concerns known for women, minorities, LGBTQ+, Muslims, people with disabilities, and immigrants. Personally, I share those concerns and am fearful of the future of America. I could not describe how extremely disappointed I am with this outcome and have shed tears over it. Hate won. We have let a narcissistic, bigoted, misogynistic, racist, sexist person become president.

What are your thoughts?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: (Political Talk) Donald J. Trump as the 45th POTUS

#2 Post by Mammon »

Trump promised a lot. Don't worry, unless he's going to be the first politician to actually make good on his campaign promises, many if not all his promises will suddenly be forgotten. And the 'most powerful man in the world' is a bit of an overstatement, not only are there several people much more powerful and influential than the president of the USA these days, the president has a lot of restrictions thanks to the senate, congress and high court etc. It's not like one man can really make a real change in just 4 years if their own party doesn't even support them. His claims are just as valid as the claims of celebrities who said they'd leave the US once Trump gets elected.

Things that might happen now that Trump is president: Obamacare getting scrapped and the immigration policies&trade agreements with Mexico taking a huge hit. Is that bad? Off course it is, especially for the working- and middle-class. Fortunately, it's not bad for me as an European :twisted: . For you though.... We expect the refugees on boats to arrive any minute now, just like the immigration stream from Syria a few months ago.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

NialGrenville
Regular
Projects: PaS: The Awakening; The Heart Woods; The Witch and the Fairy
Organization: Gabe Works, Inc.

#3 Post by NialGrenville »

I love a good ol' mud slinging match.

Just like Mammon said. The "worst" (depending on how you see it) thing he can do is scrap Obamacare. Brutally, which I don't agree with one hundred percent, cutting up policies on trade and immigration.

The whole election was mud slinging, so hearing that: he'll oppress all women; all races that aren't white; and the LGBT+ community. Should not really be a surprise. Even though he isn't really enemy to any of those things.

We could do the same with what we heard with Hilary: She'll oppress all men; all whites will be oppressed; and anyone straight will be oppressed. Yet we know neither of these are true, or false. We would never know without it actually happening.

I disagree with both candidates anyway, rendering any fear of their "promises" nonexistent. If Hilary was president we would lose our second amendment, and people would be in extreme tyranny. (Can't say if because Trump is now president) Now that Trump is president we lose our politics' system, and people are going to be in extreme tyranny.

See the resemblance? If I wanted a dictatorship, I'd move to Syria.

Eh, it's whatever honestly.
*Me*, *You, ***Calamazoo: *Singularity-A.I.*: *Proceed to processing
PaS: The Awakening, current status: 42%
The HeartWoods, current status: 0%
The Wonderful Mell! My PFI creator Honest Critique

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Mammon »

NialGrenville wrote: Eh, it's whatever honestly.
A very good summary of all of my thoughts. People will go on with their lives, politicians will continue to protect their re-election chances and companies will continue to strive for profit. Nothing will change by the hands of one man.
I disagree with both candidates anyway, rendering any fear of their "promises" nonexistent. If Hilary was president we would lose our second amendment, and people would be in extreme tyranny. (Can't say if because Trump is now president) Now that Trump is president we lose our politics' system, and people are going to be in extreme tyranny.

See the resemblance? If I wanted a dictatorship, I'd move to Syria.
Ha! Abolishing the second amendment in 4 years? Good one. :lol: That woul'd have happened decades ago if that were possible.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

NialGrenville
Regular

#5 Post by NialGrenville »

If we have to go into martial law it wouldn't matter how many years you're president. You are then king for a period of time.

Like I said, it's whatever.

Just another person in the office shuffling our country forward. Good or bad, it doesn't change who I am. Nor does it affect me personally.

*You may be correct

I just don't care. Just don't take my, or anyone's, life. Then we're fine.

That's honestly how we should all see it. (I don't just mean the ability of existence. I mean what you do and who you are. When I'm talking about life)

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#6 Post by Sonomi »

Mama J wrote:What are your thoughts?
Well, there isn't much else to do but wait and see. :) I also live in the USA, so I understand your concerns. This is a country with people who have different ideas, but there's always a way to make the best of a given situation. Try not to pay too much attention to the media and focus solely on what he does in office. It's probably better to formulate your own opinions on such topics as we move forward. Does he bring good jobs to those who need them? Does he propose a health care system that perhaps works better than what is already in place? There is no way to know right now. And that is the reason why it's important to be impartial for the time being.

I have a somewhat open-minded view of the world (many people in my life describe me as either this or this), so don't take me too seriously.
Mammon wrote:Trump promised a lot. Don't worry, unless he's going to be the first politician to actually make good on his campaign promises
He has said that he is not a politician, but a business man. :wink:

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Speaking as a German, most of my countrymen were behind Hillary, and frankly, many here are shocked that the U.S. would elect an obvious populist who has built his campaign on tirades against foreigners, religious minorities, unattractive women and liberal values. Some understand his appeal to people disgusted by the (both perceived and real) rampant corruption in US politics and the lack of concern about the precarious situation of entire counties in the American heartland. But still, most Germans would still have gone with the more experienced politician and not with a businessman whose lack of self-control is only overshadowed by his unwillingness to conform to even the lowest standard of transparency.

In short, we're basically in a state of facepalm about you crazy Americans.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

neowired
Regular

#8 Post by neowired »

I maintain that they are both equally bad in their own way, and in some sense they are equally bad in the same way.
No matter which one would have been chosen it was, and is, a good reason to complain.
Trump won, so it's time to complain about trump. If hillary won, complaints would be equally justified.
They are simply both that bad.

No matter if it's hillary or trump, it's still a corporate dictatorship, a corporatocracy and a plutocracy working to degrade people's freedoms.

It looks like a lot of people are terrified that trump won, and to them I send my love and care, and hugs. I've seen some people call trump a bunch of idiotic shit like a champion or even literally a "messiah", to these people I send a middle finger and a boot to the head, because that is masterfully stupid. Even though I don't think either trump or hillary is better.

Fortunately I'm not from states
Unfortunately our politicians aren't much better and bad politicians in states are bad for the whole world.

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#9 Post by Sonomi »

Taleweaver wrote:But still, most Germans would still have gone with the more experienced politician and not with a businessman whose lack of self-control is only overshadowed by his unwillingness to conform to even the lowest standard of transparency.

In short, we're basically in a state of facepalm about you crazy Americans.
That is the interesting part about this. More than half the nation stated in various polls that the Democratic nominee did indeed have more experience. So that thought was certainly in the minds of many people in the USA as well.

Just for your reference at this point in time (courtesy of Google, Updated Nov 9, 2016 11:15 AM EST):
Democratic: 59,405,663 votes | Republican: 59,218,283 votes | Difference: 187,380

Compare 2012:
Democratic: 65,915,795 | Republican: 60,933,504 | Difference: 4,982,291

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Mammon »

If we have to go into martial law it wouldn't matter how many years you're president. You are then king for a period of time.

Like I said, it's whatever.
This kind of nihillism is probably the most rational approach here, it doesn't matter until things go so far south that the president gets some actual power. So in the event that the zombie apocalypse begins in the next 4 years, it's a good thing Hillary wasn't elected because you'll still have your 2nd amendment.
It's probably better to formulate your own opinions on such topics as we move forward.
Then you're one of the few US citizens who does that. I'm not saying that the USA doesn't think for itself, but I am saying that FOX news exists... Also most people apparently forgot who Snowden is.
many here are shocked that the U.S. would elect an obvious populist.
As usual, the US is copying the UK. Copying? I mean one-up'ing them. They saw the Brexit and said to themselves: 'We need to do something even more stupid! Find me the two worst possible candidates you've got.'
Even though I don't think either trump or hillary is better.
Said before and now said again: It shows it that the USA isn't really a democracy any more when the people have to choose between two evils. The process of regional electives already suggests this, but who has the time to look into that bureaucratic mess?

I'm glad I live in the Netherlands. No life-crippling student debt, the ideocracy of our political parties is limited to some smaller parties that never get into the 2nd chamber coalition anyways, and we actually have the luxury to complain about such things as our OV. Ah, can you imagine having a 4-year pass for free public transportation throughout the entire country with one of the top three greatest train-and-bus networks in the world, and people can actually complain about the singular 7euro price to get that pass?

We actually had our own Trump a few years ago, called Wilders. He promised a lot and got 33 of the 150 chairs of the 2nd chamber, comparable to Trump becoming the republican nominee, but nothing actually happened. That's because the other parties actually retain a level of power even if they don't get the largest party, rather than the system in the USA where the bigger party can essentially ruin everything the other party worked for.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

chickandnugget
Regular
Projects: circuit/break
Tumblr: chickandnugget
itch: Edelblu

#11 Post by chickandnugget »

Honestly I'm just a little embarrassed because Trump has such an international reputation for being a dumbass.

Campaign season has people saying and promising a whole lot of things, so I think I'll reserve any concrete stances until he actually decides to do something. I'm more concerned that the country is going to be one party for at least the next two years (House and Senate also being Republican and all) which is going to be a hundred times more annoying than Trump being POTUS.

Also @Mammon and @NialGrenville: You do realize that Hillary has never said anything about removing the 2nd Amendment, right?

NialGrenville
Regular

#12 Post by NialGrenville »

Yes, I just like using the mud that people provide me with. IN reality they're both tyrannical. No matter how much you believe or not.

Also nice rib at me Mammon. Just because I'm not relatively fond of the government doesn't mean I am nihilistic. It's just, honestly, the best way to think of politics. People vote, and hope. I vote, and watch. I think on life as an absolute. The country is quickly falling down a waterfall. I just end up being one of the unlucky ducks floating down the violent stream.

Honesty is the best policy, I say. Therefore, if you don't like what I say. Disagree. I take no responsibility over you, nor do you over me.

Individuality is what makes the world go round.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

Politics are off-topic for this forum, folks. You have pretty much the entire rest of the internet to talk about this on.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom