Average playtime in a single seating

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sleepy
Regular
Projects: Camera Anima
Organization: EXP-resso Mutt
Tumblr: sleepy-does-games.tumblr.com
itch: https://expressomutt

Re: Average playtime in a single seating

#16 Post by Sleepy »

It's interesting you bring up FSN. I've never been able to get past the prologue, since while I know there's more to the game the hook's never been enough to make me sit down and power through.

Meanwhile, Ryuukishi07's works tend to have dry first acts but the hook is usually enough to get me through that and get to the meat of the work. And once I'm there, I start trying to blaze through.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#17 Post by Sonomi »

The average time for me is about 3 hours in the evenings. When I don't have anything else to do, I usually read for several hours at a time. I tend to go through them so quickly that I regularly run out of things to read.

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#18 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

Just depends, really. If the story is just amazing and I have the time, I will spend hours, if not a whole day, on a VN or a game. I'm a gamer at heart and, with my arthritis, I'm limited to what I can do for fun. For some reason, computer work is really easy on my arms and hands, so I play games a lot. Story and characters with personalities that I love are the biggest reasons I am drawn into a game and am willing to put time into playing it.
Last edited by kistnerelizabeth on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by indoneko »

No specific play time limit for me; assuming that I like the game (and I have time), I'll continue playing until either I reached the end of chapter/route or my body gave up (whichever comes first). It also happens when I read manga (I recall blazing through a hundred chapters of "The World God Only knows" in one sitting).

VN games are not as bad for me as they tend to have chapter/route ends which act as natural break for longer games. Strategic/simulation games (like civilization) are worse because it used to give me "one more turn" syndrome which could drag for several hours...
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Anyubel
Regular
Projects: Project Miasma
Deviantart: AnyuBel

#20 Post by Anyubel »

I think the best I can really do is about 2 hours. After that, if I feel like I'm near the ending, I usually skip out on some of the stuff and get lazy. Though, if I know that it's long, I usually just leave it and go back to it some other time.
Though, I feel if a game is really immersive, I should be able to finish it in one sitting, even if it's 3+ hours. Then again, I usually only binge play when I have a school break, or something.

I think a good game to look at for immersiveness is probably Amnesia memories. It really kept up its pace on the emotional side. It also had a lot of choices, so that's a plus.

chickandnugget
Regular
Projects: circuit/break
Tumblr: chickandnugget
itch: Edelblu

#21 Post by chickandnugget »

I usually don't stop playing until I'm done with the route that I'm on.

If it's a really good game, I can very easily sit there until I finish the whole thing, no matter how long it takes.

Vegeluxia
Regular
Projects: The Exorcynic (WIP), CPU-CITY (WIP)
Tumblr: lemonylulu
Deviantart: Vegeluxia

#22 Post by Vegeluxia »

Depends on the game, for me, but I am mainly a marathoner and tend to do entire routes (or half, if it's super long) in single sittings.

Then there's stuff like Zero Escape, where I either play until I can't stand it, or play for 10 minutes and stop to think about what I just saw.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#23 Post by Shinoki »

It depends on the game.
I'll usually play in 15-30 minute intervals, with a minute break in between here and there to check facebook or manga.
For serious, plot-driven games (not nukige or light hearted comedies), I end up playing around 1.5 hours, I suppose.