About CG art

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
animalia

About CG art

#1 Post by animalia »

I am trying to decide whether to look for a hand-drawn artist or a cg artist for a project I am working on and as such I have a question. Do programs like poser allows for such detail as squeezing the butt?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: About CG art

#2 Post by Mammon »

I took a quick look at the promo video Poser has at their site and judging from the way they could make horns and mushrooms, acts such as squeezing should be possible with that program as well. The more detailed the model however, the more work off course. I however have no experience with Poser or anything 3D related, so don't assume my words to have any more meaning behind them than the absolute minimum.

P.S. When you're saying CG, do you mean the VN term for CG or the animation term CGI? There may be a misunderstanding in the making here if you mean the latter.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#3 Post by Katta »

As it seems 3d character art and especially cgs are less popular among the readers and considered much less aesthetically pleasing. May depend on the quality of 3d though, I've seen awesome work too.

Biomass
Regular

#4 Post by Biomass »

I am one of those people who feel 3DCG in a VN is detrimental. It is not based in logic, it is just how I feel. For instance, I will absolutely not mind if the backgrounds are done in 3D, but if any of the foreground characters are 3D it instantly feels bad. The best use of 3D hides the fact that it was 3D at all. Why the discrimination for the 3rd dimension? I couldn't tell you.

animalia

#5 Post by animalia »

Mammon wrote:I took a quick look at the promo video Poser has at their site and judging from the way they could make horns and mushrooms, acts such as squeezing should be possible with that program as well. The more detailed the model however, the more work off course. I however have no experience with Poser or anything 3D related, so don't assume my words to have any more meaning behind them than the absolute minimum.

P.S. When you're saying CG, do you mean the VN term for CG or the animation term CGI? There may be a misunderstanding in the making here if you mean the latter.
CG like Poser

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#6 Post by Tempus »

The OP is using "CG" correctly. It's the entire VN community that's using it wrong. (This isn't sarcasm btw.)
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#7 Post by SundownKid »

Biomass wrote:I am one of those people who feel 3DCG in a VN is detrimental. It is not based in logic, it is just how I feel. For instance, I will absolutely not mind if the backgrounds are done in 3D, but if any of the foreground characters are 3D it instantly feels bad. The best use of 3D hides the fact that it was 3D at all. Why the discrimination for the 3rd dimension? I couldn't tell you.
Mainly because 3DCG usually falls into the "uncanny valley" phenomenon. Especially if they are realistic, but also if the 3D model is of low quality. It's possible to make nice looking 3DCG but only if cartoony and using a high quality model. Realistic 3DCG looks weird if it is static.

Generally it's better to use 2D art unless you are absolutely sure that your 3D art isn't creepy.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Mammon »

Tempus wrote:The OP is using "CG" correctly. It's the entire VN community that's using it wrong. (This isn't sarcasm btw.)
If we use CG in this forum, it will be referring to a CG in a visual novel. There is no reason to prioritise CGI's bastardation over the local slang that has being used around here for years just because newcomers think it's a more common use of the word. If we were to use the term CG in a forum that discusses movies or animation then the visual novel term would indeed draw the shortest straw but here on Lemmasoft you cannot claim CGI to be the more important definition. In fact, if there's confusion about the term during discussions I'll start using CGI's old term: Photoshop, rather than change the term CG.

Yours is the kind of idea that says that whatever the crowds around you think, has to be the only way. The kind of idea that leads from the USA calling themselves America because it rolls of the tongue easier, suddenly turning into them thinking that they are America (a.k.a. the continent which at least contains Canada and Greenland as well, if not also all the Latin American countries.)
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

animalia

#9 Post by animalia »

Mammon wrote:
Tempus wrote:The OP is using "CG" correctly. It's the entire VN community that's using it wrong. (This isn't sarcasm btw.)
If we use CG in this forum, it will be referring to a CG in a visual novel. There is no reason to prioritise CGI's bastardation over the local slang that has being used around here for years just because newcomers think it's a more common use of the word. If we were to use the term CG in a forum that discusses movies or animation then the visual novel term would indeed draw the shortest straw but here on Lemmasoft you cannot claim CGI to be the more important definition. In fact, if there's confusion about the term during discussions I'll start using CGI's old term: Photoshop, rather than change the term CG.

Yours is the kind of idea that says that whatever the crowds around you think, has to be the only way. The kind of idea that leads from the USA calling themselves America because it rolls of the tongue easier, suddenly turning into them thinking that they are America (a.k.a. the continent which at least contains Canada and Greenland as well, if not also all the Latin American countries.)
America is TWO Continents not one

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Mammon »

animalia wrote:
Mammon wrote:Yours is the kind of idea that says that whatever the crowds around you think, has to be the only way. The kind of idea that leads from the USA calling themselves America because it rolls of the tongue easier, suddenly turning into them thinking that they are America (a.k.a. the continent which at least contains Canada and Greenland as well, if not also all the Latin American countries.)
America is TWO Continents not one
That's why I said it would at least refer to Canada and Greenland as well: North America, if not also the Latin countries: N America + Middle and South America. I already implied that there were two continents, however the united states are neither of these on their own. Can we get back on topic here? I mentioned the continent thing as an example, not an invitation for political debate.

Edit:
MExico and central America are part of BOTH North America AND Latin America
Jup, it's a bit of a gray area.
Last edited by Mammon on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#11 Post by Tempus »

Mammon, what does the acronym "CG" stand for in the context of the visual novel community?
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#12 Post by Taleweaver »

Tempus wrote:Mammon, what does the acronym "CG" stand for in the context of the visual novel community?
I'm not Mammon, but its literal translation is "computer graphic", and it's used to describe a piece of artwork that is shown during an especially poignant scene in a VN, instead of the usual combination of character sprite and background art.

And I really think this thread is getting a little heated in tone altogether. Cool it down a notch, everybody.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Mammon »

Taleweaver wrote:
Tempus wrote:Mammon, what does the acronym "CG" stand for in the context of the visual novel community?
I'm not Mammon, but its literal translation is "computer graphic", and it's used to describe a piece of artwork that is shown during an especially poignant scene in a VN, instead of the usual combination of character sprite and background art.

And I really think this thread is getting a little heated in tone altogether. Cool it down a notch, everybody.
Yes, theoretically speaking the CG for Visual Novels and the CG of movies are both an acronym of the same meaning 'Computer Graphic', but they represent two different ideas. And ironically very few people know what the acronym actually stands for in both cases. However, as this is Lemmasoft rather than a forum that discusses movies or animation etc., I will keep using CG as a way to refer to VN CG's and refer to the rest as CGI or Photoshop.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Mellanthe
Regular

#14 Post by Mellanthe »

In my personal opinion, both CAN technically work. If you are really tight on money and have a program like poser already, then I would go ahead and use that. You most likely can add the same amount of detail with either type of artist.

The problem I find with 3D cg though is that it can be 'flat', as in the images lack a lot of visual interests because you can't bend the rules the same way as a hand drawn artist can. In short, 3d can look very stiff and expressionless if not done right.

animalia

#15 Post by animalia »

Mellanthe wrote:In my personal opinion, both CAN technically work. If you are really tight on money and have a program like poser already, then I would go ahead and use that. You most likely can add the same amount of detail with either type of artist.

The problem I find with 3D cg though is that it can be 'flat', as in the images lack a lot of visual interests because you can't bend the rules the same way as a hand drawn artist can. In short, 3d can look very stiff and expressionless if not done right.
I was worried that finding a good 2D artist of the style I want might be hard