RenTarot(COMPLETED!)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
herenvardo
Veteran

Re: RenTarot

#46 Post by herenvardo »

Jake wrote:But that said, I was under the impression that the illustration didn't really matter all that much for any of the uses of tarot cards, and so long as the viewer could make out which card it was supposed to be it would be fine regardless? ;-)
Generally (although there are several exceptions), "professional" tarot decks try to use images whose details are reminders of the side concepts and the subtleties involved in the card's meanings. I know this is not a "professional" project (once again, I insist in the plain fact that our artists' talent could perfectly afford a professional project of any kind, but I guess that is simply not the goal for this one), but I feel the "pro" previous works on the topic are an obvious reference source.
However, there are some decks that can be really abstract, like the Osho zen, where it can be really hard to identify the cards unless you are very familiar with their unique symbology... I'm quite sure that the aim of this project is not an osho-like thing. While having an image that just identifies the card would be fine, I think that having some symbols tying it to its meaning as well won't hurt; and Vatina's art seems to prove the point.
Vatina wrote:Well as mentioned I originally wanted to bring some of the symbols along, since I thought it would look good ;) I even tried to dig up some of my mother's tarot cards to look at, but they were so abstract and weird that I discarded them in the end ^^;
As I pointed out, some tarots can be really abstract... unless you are both used to that tarot and the classic tarot's symbolism, then it's quite hard you might find a useful reference on it.

About the symbols on the Hierophant's card itself, the throne is normally used to denote authority, while the pillars reference a connection with the "above".
About the final result of this card: I can only say I love it :P However, I just reached Yurika's endings in the game yesterday, and some similarities with real life experiences make my appreciation for that character quite subjective.
herenvardo wrote:Finally, about the chariot: I already said that the background works very well with the meaning of the card, but I can't say anything about the character: I haven't played the game, and the girl as depicted doesn't show the essence of the chariot. Maybe, depending on the whole story behind the character, she might be a good match for the card; if so, people who have played the game would see the meaning when seeing her. Since I don't know, I'm downloading the game now; I'll update after I get to know her better :P
After finishing the game, I have to agree with the choice:
Phaedra's straight-forwardness and determination make her a good match for the chariot card.
On the overall, I want to say that (despite some of my critic comments) I really like how this whole thing is comming out. Great work everyone!!
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#47 Post by musical74 »

I really like Yurika as heriophant...I like her expression, and also how she has her two squaddies with her, kind of protecting them....LOL
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#48 Post by Vatina »

Thank you, I'm happy you liked how it turned out ^^

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#49 Post by chronoluminaire »

Yes, she looks absolutely awesome! SunKitten and I are really impressed ^.^
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Mr. E
Regular

#50 Post by Mr. E »

Great work, everyone. Quite impressive to see so many people embarked on this little project head-on. Maybe the Tarot is more popular than I thought? Anyways, keep it up! :D
( And why Kikered's Victoria is a lot cuter than my version...? :? Gah. Must. Train. My. Art. *goes away to draw a bit more of N&L artwork* )

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#51 Post by F.I.A »

And you guys expected me to do nothing when I planned it?

Funny note: When I scale down to fit the 64:89 scale, the height of the cropped image is precisely 890 when I scale the width to 640. Talk about precision.

Other note: I will be away starting 4th for a whole week, so I might not be updating it. Good luck to all volunteers in completing their pieces.
Attachments
The Traveling Maiden MKII
The Traveling Maiden MKII
The Traveling Maiden
The Traveling Maiden
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

M12
Veteran

#52 Post by M12 »

Awesome work FIA, and everyone else! Sorry about my slowness. Still haven't found time to work on that second card.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#53 Post by lordcloudx »

I hope this card is to the liking of The Defender of Moe Justice.
Attachments
cindy_final.png
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#54 Post by Kikered »

FIA: Yay, Solangel! :P

I really like how these last few cards had elements commonly found in the actual tarot cards! I would have liked to incorporate elements from a typical Judgement card (trumpet, angel, dead people), but unfortunately, I wasn't creative enough to think of a way to incorporate them without losing Victoria, Hubris, and Nemesis in the process. ^^;
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

M12
Veteran

#55 Post by M12 »

Hey good job lordcloudx! TDOMJ is proud =D.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#56 Post by F.I.A »

And thus, here's the card as something for v-day. Credit goes to lordcloudx for the excellent template design.

Yes, some rather weak texts among a few. Pm me if you have a better one!
Attachments
[s]Da[/s] The Fool
[s]Da[/s] The Fool
V The Hierophant
V The Hierophant
VII The Chariot
VII The Chariot
X Wheel of Fortune
X Wheel of Fortune
XIII Death
XIII Death
XV The Devil
XV The Devil
XVIII The Moon
XVIII The Moon
XX Judgement
XX Judgement
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#57 Post by Vatina »

Oooh that looks cool :D The card templates are good!

I always wished I could be one of those awesome card-game illustrators.... so this is really cool xD
Last edited by Vatina on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#58 Post by lordcloudx »

FIA: you forgot card #00
templatetest.png
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#59 Post by Samu-kun »

Waahh... They all look so good! We should give them all attack and defense points like Yu-Gi-Oh! ^_^

... ...

Okay... On second thought, maybe not... >_>;;

(I'm still working on mine)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#60 Post by PyTom »

Pffft. Yu-gi-oh.

Now, if you want to say that Mary is a 2/2 with phasing for 1 blue, 1 colorless... well, then we can talk.

Of course, probably the most appropriate magic card for a Ren'Ai deck is "Proposal":

"Allows Richard to propose marriage to Lily, If the proposal is accepted both players win; mix the cards in play, both libraries and both graveyards as a shared deck."

(Although there's a ruling that says it won't resolve unless one of the players is named "Richard" and the other "Lily".)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom