Mkv's Embedded Subtitle not appear when play in Ren'Py, why?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
saruri
Regular

Mkv's Embedded Subtitle not appear when play in Ren'Py, why?

#1 Post by saruri »

As subject, could anyone kindly advise: how to show (display) the embedded subtitle of mkv in Ren'Py please?

I tested with MPC, the subtitle I made display properly, but not in Ren'Py, ToT~

Thanks in advance!

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

Re: Mkv's Embedded Subtitle not appear when play in Ren'Py,

#2 Post by Divona »

I don't think Ren'Py support displaying subtitle from MKV due to the subtitle is in a separate file inside the MKV package instead of burned in on the image (therefore, you can turn the subtitle off, or change subtitle language in media players). You will have to encode and force burn that subtitle right on the video itself to have them display in Ren'Py.
Completed:

saruri
Regular

#3 Post by saruri »

Divona wrote:I don't think Ren'Py support displaying subtitle from MKV due to the subtitle is in a separate file inside the MKV package instead of burned in on the image (therefore, you can turn the subtitle off, or change subtitle language in media players). You will have to encode and force burn that subtitle right on the video itself to have them display in Ren'Py.
Sigh, guess I'll have to do the hard way then; It's such a pity that Ren'Py can't play mkv's subtitle like MPC, as it plays the mkv perfectly.

Anyway, thank you very much for your kind reply! (bow)

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#4 Post by Kia »

if you're not planing to create an entire video player out of ren'py, I think you can add the text to a screen and show the subtitle as text over the video with a little coding