SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG) commercial+demo

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Nayru774
Regular
Completed: SoulSet, Blankspace
Projects: The Elevator Game with Catgirls
Tumblr: NoBreadStudio
itch: nobreadstudio

SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG) commercial+demo

#1 Post by Nayru774 »

SoulSet is a Mystery/Romance Visual Novel, in which you can try to avoid death and pursue a relationship with both male and female characters.
You play as Mariko, who finds herself trapped in an eerie mansion with 5 other people who claim to have no recollection of their past.
Who will you trust?

This game contains content such as:
strong language, blood, violence, disturbing content, use of alcohol, partial nudity and implied sex.
Player discretion is advised.
Note: There are no H-scenes in the game, hence why it's considered 16+ rather than 18+ (no actual Adult Content)

• a total of 7 pursuable characters (both male and female)
  • over 20 possible endings
  • 100k+ words with an estimated 10-15 hours of gameplay
  • multiple story lines with unlockable, alternative paths
  • multiple route mystery (only by playing all of the routes will you be able to learn the entire story behind the game's events)
  • a fantasy setting where magic is a part of everyday life
  • mystery, suspense, romance, comedy, fantasy
  • 18 beautiful backgrounds, spiced with the arcane
  • over 30 character sprites, including alternative outfits
  • a CG, BG and Ending Gallery to help keep track of your progress
  • Steam Achievements and Trading Cards
  • available for Windows, Mac and Linux

You find yourself in a world where magic is a common sight, dragons are rare but exist, spirits roam the lands and people's souls hold a lot more potential than one might expect.

The player follows the predicament of Mariko Blairnot, a young woman who finds herself trapped in an eerie mansion with five other people who claim to have no recollection of their past. Mariko herself can only remember scattered bits and pieces of an event that supposedly happened years ago, involving the death of her mother and the appearance of a mysterious stranger who offered his help to her and her closest dragon companion, Isshin. With both of them nowhere to be seen inside of the mansion, Mariko and the rest of the cast investigate their surroundings, only to find more questions with no answers.

When someone comes up with a way that could help in getting their memories back, Mariko is presented with the option to pair up with someone for the experiment.

Who will you trust?
  • Nayru - Story / Script / Programming / Character Sprites / GUI
  • MstMori - Interior BG / CG
  • Marcianek - Exterior BG / Item Icons
Last edited by Nayru774 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

Bianchii
Regular

Re: SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG) commercial+

#2 Post by Bianchii »

Golly everyone's so good looking! I remember seeing this some time ago, congrats on the release!

Mysterious Friend
Completed: Winter Lover
itch: smud

#3 Post by Mysterious Friend »

I've been looking forward to this for a while! Congratulations on the release :-) It makes for a wonderful Christmas present! Getting this ASAP

Nayru774
Regular

#4 Post by Nayru774 »

@Bianchii, @Mysterious Friend - Thank you kindly! I hope you enjoy the game! c:
Image Image Image

Mysterious Friend
Completed: Winter Lover
itch: smud

#5 Post by Mysterious Friend »

I hate to spam this thread with the presence again but after playing through this with a friend last night i couldn't help myself from coming back and saying how much I LOVE this game. I had such a great time playing it and I found that I enjoyed every second of it (my friend loved it too). I still have a couple of endings left to get, including the ever elusive Yvonne bad end B (I'll get you one day, one DAYYYYYYY) but I've enjoyed the game so much and just wanted to stop by and say that.

I also drew a lil Yvonne because she probably ended up being my favorite character after my friend and I kept screaming "PROTECT YVONNE" was really hard to go back to the game and try to get her bad ends lol

Hope everyone gives this game a shot!

MstMori
Completed: SoulSet
Projects: SoulSet
Tumblr: moridraws

#6 Post by MstMori »

@Mysterious Friend - It's always great to hear that SoulSet lived up to someone's expectations. Nayru truly dedicated a lot of heart and time to make the game a unique experience, one that would have it's own place among other VNs. I guess the higher difficulty of getting to certain outcomes in the story is just one of the consequences of that :D She MIGHT post some helpful tips, though!

EDIT - I knew I forgot something. That's a great Yvonne, Mysterious Friend! Thank you. She does seem to have gathered a small following already! We're proud of out little girl *sniff*

Nayru774
Regular

#7 Post by Nayru774 »

@Mysterious Friend - aaah, thank you so much for the Yvonne fanart! ; u ; Receiving fanart from people is currently one of my biggest joys in life and you have no idea how unbelievably happy you made me by doing it! Thank you so much!! (If you'd be kind enough to send me a bigger version of it, I'd love to print it out and hang it on my wall, next to all the other SoulSet fanarts I got up till now! I'm making a gallery in my room!)

And thank you kindly for your comment! It's always a joy to hear that people enjoy the game one worked on for so long. ; u ; (And playing something together with a friend is oftentimes double the fun, I'm glad you two enjoyed it so much!)

Though I'm a little confused at this point in regards to why some of the players think that Yvonne even has a Bad Ending B. ^^; I'm wondering if it's somehow tied to the order of endings in the Ending Gallery, perhaps?
Image Image Image

lunafreya

#8 Post by lunafreya »

In the description, it says that there are 7 pursuable characters, yet I count only 6 (excluding the main character). :D Is there a secret character?

I can't wait to get this game on steam. Unfortunately, I can't buy it on itch.io since I don't have a credit card.

Nayru774
Regular

#9 Post by Nayru774 »

@lunafreya - Yes, there is a 7th, hidden character in the game. ;3 That character isn't shown in any of the promo arts and they're not mentioned anywhere in the descriptions. You get to find out who it is once you play the game. :)

Itch.io also accepts payments with Paypal (and Stripe), not only with credit card. c:
Image Image Image

lunafreya

#10 Post by lunafreya »

I figured that out soon after posting. :oops:

Anyway, I finished the game and I loved every second of it.
It's rare that I'm interested in every single character route, and even rarer that I end up liking all of them. I loved the multiple route mystery and that you don't figure out everything unless you get all endings. When I started the game, I was sure Feathor would become my favorite, as I love his design and I liked what you saw of his personality at the beginning, but in the end, I like Marco the most. Which is ... kind of like having Feathor as favorite. :D But I'm not sure that he ever loved Mariko, even if he claims to now do otherwise in his true end. It's hard to trust what this guy is saying, and it broke my heart to tell Marco to go back to being his older self. The things you have to do to get all endings. My second favorite is Yvonne. She's such a sweet girl. I like how that contrasts her appearance. Like Shira, I initially assumed her to be confident and flirty because of her design.
The world building in SoulSet feels very real and I get the feeling there's more to the lore than the player gets to experience. I'd love to see another story set in the same world.
Now for some things that I feel could have been improved. I don't get what the point of Isshin's (and to an extent, Lord Mutik's) character was. Or at least, I don't get what the point of his soul having joined Mariko's was. He doesn't play a crucial role, barely appears in any of the routes (IIRC, he only appears in Yvonne's route and Mariko's true ending. He never gets to do anything important outside of the beginning of the game, which doesn't even take place in the present. The same thing (Mariko's lifespan being halved and subsequently lengthed by drinking a potion of dragon blood) could have been accomplished if Mariko had been gravely wounded and the ritual would have been needed to save her life. In that regard, I liked Mutik's role better as he did help out in Apris' route. But he too felt a little out of place, and I'm surprised he doesn't get more of a central role in Yvonne's path. Maybe that's also just me bein disappointed that there's not much of the cute, fluffy kitty haha. I do want to say that the scene where he signs the piece of paper to compare the teams' handwriting was hilarious and made me burst out laughing.
Also, can I say how much I love Mariko's character? I like that she's not a typical, nice heroine, I like that she did some messed up things in the past, I love that she's tall (as a fellow tall woman) and I like that she's mature and experienced. She has got to be among my favorite otoge heroines.

riverbluesbear
Regular
Projects: RTANMUSSB!

#11 Post by riverbluesbear »

Hi! Absolutely love the game so far! The concept is really unique and interesting, and I really enjoy all the characters I've encountered! Which is really rare, since I usually end up hating at least one character out of the bunch in VNs. This time, I thought it would be Shira I'd hate, but I actually love her a lot!

Anyhow, do you think, at some point, you could release a guide? I have tried everyone's route at least once, but have only gotten Apris' true end and all his bad ends (I think)

Maybe I'm just not good at mysteries ^^'

If you can't, that's fine, but I wanted to see if there was an option first! :)

Nayru774
Regular

#12 Post by Nayru774 »

@lunafreya - Thank you kindly for the feedback! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the game so much! ^^ It always brings me great joy to hear that someone liked the characters and enjoyed the whole mystery of the game. :3
I also couldn't be happier that you liked Mariko's character. I'm not fond of "silent" heroines in Otome games myself, and I always wanted to write someone with a bit more spark. The fact that people appreciate it reassures me that it was a good decision to follow through with this kind of idea. Thank you!

In regards to Isshin... The idea was that the player was actually Ishhin all along, and we get to see everything from his POV, instead of Mariko's (which, as Yvonne mentioned in her True Route, doesn't make that much of a difference during the game's events anymore, since they're almost the same person at that point). That's the reason we see the intro with Feathor from Isshin's point of view, why we have insight to Mariko's memories all the time and are able to influence her decisions. Though I suppose the whole thing turned out a little vague and I admit it could have been presented a bit better. I appreciate you pointing it out!

As for Mutik... Well, Shira did say she'd sue him for hogging too much screen time in the demo. Maybe there's some kind of connection here? (I'm glad you enjoyed the kitty laser scene! xD)

@riverbluesbear - Clearly, one does not simply not like Shira! xD I'm glad you hear you like the characters and the game itself! ^^ Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Two people told me that they'd like to make a guide at this point, so I'm guessing they'll appear soon! I assumed some guides would appear once the game made it to Steam, since that's what usually happens.

And while we're already by that topic...
SoulSet's Steam store page is finally up! The game will become available on February 7th! (In a a few hours from now on!) c:
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

#13 Post by Nayru774 »

Well guys, it finally happened.

SoulSet is now officially on Steam!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/589860/

If someone had told us we'd get to where we are now those ~20 months ago, when we started working on SoulSet's very first demo, we wouldn't have believed it. It has been a path laced with sleepless nights, lots of self-doubt and waaay too much coffee and instant ramen (and none of those are any good for you). But we made it and SoulSet is finally out for you to enjoy. This is a huge milestone for us as game developers. We've learned a lot during this little adventure and we'll be sure to carry this experience into our future projects.

Here's to a great, successful year, everyone! We dearly hope you'll have fun playing SoulSet!

Cheers!
- Nayru, MstMori & Marcianek
Image Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#14 Post by Zelan »

Woohoo! Congratulations, you guys! ^_^ I'm unable to purchase it at the moment but it's on my Steam wishlist. :D Next time I get some cash to spare, definitely getting this!

lunafreya

#15 Post by lunafreya »

How do I go about getting the achievements on steam? I've completed SS 100%, but Steam won't register the achievements, except for the normal end for the secret character, for some reason. I'm not aversed to re-playing, but Steam doesn't register me fulfilling the requirements. I can't delete my saves either, since I have no idea where they're located.