My art journey~

Art threads specific to a single artist.
King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

Re: My art journey~ ((Critique please))

#46 Post by King-sama »

Didn't post here since January lol

Anyways, here is something I did recently that I am proud of~ Inspired by rosuuri's art 8)
Attachments
night sunset and morning.png

King-sama
Veteran

#47 Post by King-sama »

Beach~
It turned out better than I thought it would XD
Attachments
beach2.png

King-sama
Veteran

#48 Post by King-sama »

Did different times~ o3o Doing sunset was the hardest
Attachments
beach night sunset and morning.png

King-sama
Veteran

#49 Post by King-sama »

Drew a sakura bonsai tree~
will make a rainy night and sunset later~
sakura bonsai2.png
and this is....well, you know
tree practice2.png

King-sama
Veteran

#50 Post by King-sama »

Did this with different times, too~
sunset was the hardest again...
Attachments
sakura bonsai night rain1.png
sakura bonsai sunset.png

bosinpai
Regular

#51 Post by bosinpai »

King-sama wrote:Did this with different times, too~
sunset was the hardest again...
There's a nice harmonic shape in this bonsai :)

I feel the lighting is unclear (lit from outside / from inside?). It looks like the bonsai is glowing rather than reflecting light. That worked for me in your previous bonsai post, but here with dimmer light this feels off.

(btw I keep seeing my nickname instead of "bonsai" when I glance at these picture titles ;))

King-sama
Veteran

#52 Post by King-sama »

bosinpai wrote:
There's a nice harmonic shape in this bonsai :)

I feel the lighting is unclear (lit from outside / from inside?). It looks like the bonsai is glowing rather than reflecting light. That worked for me in your previous bonsai post, but here with dimmer light this feels off.

(btw I keep seeing my nickname instead of "bonsai" when I glance at these picture titles ;))
It's supposed to be lit from the outside, I did dark multiply layer circle above the whole picture in the corners to make the tree the focal point and added a luminosity yellow layer an the middle. I will post a picture without these edits after a while and tell me if it works better

Thanks for your critique ^^ tho, I don't find it very helpful if you don't tell me suggestions to fix my mistakes or give me references that show what you mean exactly, only pointing the flaws won't help someone to improve, but I appreciate your efforts

(And I have always read your nickname as bonsai, too ^^' probably coz the first and last letters are the same)

here is it
Attachments
ver 2.png

bosinpai
Regular

#53 Post by bosinpai »

This was more of a candid reaction following my first impression.
As opposed to: an analytical critique which one'd post after blinding oneself by looking too much at the picture and becoming as clueless as the artist seeking help hehe ;)

Which I am a bit now -- I can't decide between the 2 versions of the sunset set.
However, I can pinpoint that the middle (wooden) part of the window is 100%-pure-white, which probably influenced me into considering it either lit from the inside, or lit from the bonsai itself (since it's behind the bonsai). Same for the bottom of the window, to a lesser extent. These could be darker.
In addition it seems the bonsai's foliage is reasonably dense and not translucent, so such a backlit bonsai would more realistically look like this ^^
http://printsilike.deviantart.com/art/B ... -166467339
https://www.flickr.com/photos/geniusd50 ... 982934@N01

The filter-less version looks more realistic with darker values on the bonsai, but also less appealing.
I can't really say how to "fix" this, it depends on how much you want to push your artistic license.
I'd probably go myself with either a more clair-obscur version (like the 2nd picture), or modify the lighting. If I had the skills in the first place, I mean :mrgreen:

King-sama
Veteran

#54 Post by King-sama »

bosinpai wrote:This was more of a candid reaction following my first impression.
As opposed to: an analytical critique which one'd post after blinding oneself by looking too much at the picture and becoming as clueless as the artist seeking help hehe ;)

Which I am a bit now -- I can't decide between the 2 versions of the sunset set.
However, I can pinpoint that the middle (wooden) part of the window is 100%-pure-white, which probably influenced me into considering it either lit from the inside, or lit from the bonsai itself (since it's behind the bonsai). Same for the bottom of the window, to a lesser extent. These could be darker.
In addition it seems the bonsai's foliage is reasonably dense and not translucent, so such a backlit bonsai would more realistically look like this ^^
http://printsilike.deviantart.com/art/B ... -166467339
https://www.flickr.com/photos/geniusd50 ... 982934@N01

The filter-less version looks more realistic with darker values on the bonsai, but also less appealing.
I can't really say how to "fix" this, it depends on how much you want to push your artistic license.
I'd probably go myself with either a more clair-obscur version (like the 2nd picture), or modify the lighting. If I had the skills in the first place, I mean :mrgreen:
First impression?? I have said that because people tend to point mistakes to me all the time (in general) and I feel if only they told me how to fix it it would have helped me so much ^^" tho, some stuff are easier to understand than others, probably depend on experience of a person
Your critique now IS very helpful! : ) I would have never known what you meant if you didn't describe it this way! thank you soo much, I appreciate you

I did this ver~ does it look better??
ver 3.png
Last edited by King-sama on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bosinpai
Regular

Re: My art journey~ ((Critique for critique))

#55 Post by bosinpai »

OOoh I like it :)

King-sama
Veteran

Re: My art journey~ ((Critique for critique))

#56 Post by King-sama »

bosinpai wrote:OOoh I like it :)
Thanks ^^

I tried to find a good image editor site and glad I found a good one (wasted my life..)

and played around with this
Attachments
ver4.png

King-sama
Veteran

Re: My art journey~

#57 Post by King-sama »

Wow, I didn't post here since December. Actually, it's coz I didn't know whether I should continue posting here or not. DA has been too slow with me lately for some reason, so yeah, I am here again, hopefully I can improve on drawing

Made these doodles some days ago:
clouds1.png
did this in grey then added overlay layer on top of it to give it color
clouds2.png
did this in color dirictly

Photoshop is hard to control..
I really wanna be as good as Mocha from pixiv, or Tazihound and giaonp on Deviantart, but no motivation //sigh
will try to post more here, anyways

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#58 Post by Steamgirl »

Ooo, I have to say the bonsai in post #54 looks really really good! I prefer it over the subsequent one because the detail on the bonsai itself is less washed out from the lighting. I think I prefer the colours in #56 though.

Nice one with the cloud doodles. Did you use a custom brush for that? I do like Photoshop, although nowadays I use a mixture of PaintTool Sai and Photoshop, depending on what type of drawing I'm making. What tools do you use?

King-sama
Veteran

#59 Post by King-sama »

Steamgirl wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:04 am
Nice one with the cloud doodles. Did you use a custom brush for that? I do like Photoshop, although nowadays I use a mixture of PaintTool Sai and Photoshop, depending on what type of drawing I'm making. What tools do you use?
I downloaded brushes from DA for the clouds so I think it's a costum brush? I prefer Photoshop coz Painttool Sai doesn't have a wide variety of brushes that can be very unique like photoshop. Plus, I prefer to finish a whole drawing in one program instead of jumping from program to program. I prefer Painttool sai for pixel drawings coz it's easier to do it there than Photoshop

And about the tools, wacom bamboo pen and touch, Photoshop cs2

King-sama
Veteran

#60 Post by King-sama »

This is a very old sketch I had of mushrooms (maybe two years old) and I just thought I would play with it today to get it over with?

This is the original:
mashrooms.png
This is after using filters in Photoshop:
mushrooms.png
I really liked Exclusion blending mode because it gives that weird? unique? look of it. I would like to use it more if I would ever do a magical like backgrounds. (: