Alehaeus: The Radiant Kingdom [GxG/B] [Fantasy]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

Alehaeus: The Radiant Kingdom [GxG/B] [Fantasy]

#1 Post by SilverHyena »

General Info:

Title: Alehaeus: The Radiant Kingdom
Genre: Fantasy
Pairings: GxG/B (Possible BxG/B relationships between npcs)

Concept:

A high school kid from Earth is summoned to a magical world to save it from an encroaching darkness and somehow wins the affection of everyone along the way. Sound familiar? Well, this is totally different! Okay, not really, but there is a bit of a twist to this game. You are not the high school kid. Instead, you are the magical world's princess and it's your job to make sure that the high school kid is up to the task which, honestly, you have your doubts about. I mean, he definitely doesn't look like the legendary hero you imagined as a little girl. And he doesn't have any special traits or abilities as far as you can tell. It'll work out somehow though. Right?

Planned features:

- Save your world by lending the hero your aid. (Or let it fall to chaos. Whatever.)
- Protect your status as best girl or steer the hero into the arms of another woman (Or man. Whatever.)
- Not interested in the hero of prophecy? Date someone else! (Or stay single. Whatever.)

Characters:
(just sketches for now since by the time I finish the script I'll be a better artist. If history tells me anything. :P)
gxgb_cast.png
(From Left to Right: Alder, Frayne, Brier, Alena, Hiro, Nariko, and Chandra)

Alder
Teacher Scum of the Earth
A perverted old man who has reverted to his early twenties after messing up a potion meant to turn him into a young woman. Seriously. Anyway, apparently it's permanent which is fine because his good looks make him less creepy. Maybe. Either way, he's still one of the most talented magic users in the land which unfortunately justifies him being assigned to you as your teacher. He does actually give you good advice from time to time though and there are some moments where he's almost bearable.

Frayne
Maid
A recently hired maid. Thus, you don't know too much about her. What you do know is that she's super shy and has a hard time communicating with others. It's kind of cute when it's not frustrating. Anyway, she does have a knack for cleaning and seems harmless enough.
Spoiler:
Is a dude
Brier
Body Guard
Your best friend and play mate when you were a child. While your duties as princess drove you the two of you apart, you've always remembered her fondly. That's why you were thrilled when you learned that she was going to be your new bodyguard. In your time away from each other, Brier became a peerless warrior so she could once again be at your side. She's a bit more crass than you remember, but she's still got that laid back and easy going attitude you've come to appreciate.

Anthea
Princess
The daughter of the current King of Alehaeus. Also, you. You might not be the most demure of princesses, but you do care a great deal about your kingdom and want to see it prosper.

Hiro
Hero of Prophecy
Some kid from another world that's supposed to be able to save Alehaeus from darkness. He's smaller than you imagined. And as far as you can tell his combat ability is... Lacking. He is really nice though. As a person, you like him well enough. You're just not sure he's qualified to save the place you call home.

Nariko
Tsundere
Some girl that got caught up in the summoning spell. She's got a serious attitude problem. It's not like you're seducing the man of her dreams on purpose. And if she was so serious about him why didn't she confess ages ago? I mean, she was his childhood friend, right? She had plenty of time to do it! You really don't deserve the level of animosity she directs towards you.

Chandra
Reformed(?) Villain
Some hussy that is a little too into Hiro. Apparently, he convinced her to come over to your side, but you aren't sure that her intentions are pure. No way are you going to let her walk around your castle unsupervised!

And that's what I've got so far! Any feedback is welcome but I do have a few specific questions I'd love to get answers to if you're game:

- So, it should be obvious that this game is inspired by harem anime that would generally be aimed at males. Problem is, since I changed the protagonist to a female, I'm not sure who my audience is now. Would you prefer it if I tried to stay true to the harem anime feel or would it be better if I slanted it more towards what you'd expect from a traditional otome game?

- I'm thinking about adding the type of fanservice scenes you would see in harem style anime (think hot springs or beach episodes). Is this a good idea or a bad one? Since it's kind of an otome game now, would that sort of thing turn you off? Or would you prefer to have it? And if so, would you want said fanservice to be geared towards male or female characters or both?

- Is there any type of character that I didn't include that you'd like to see in the game? As a romance option or otherwise? (For example, I don't have a beefy, muscular guy yet. I might need to add one of those... Hmm...)

- If I ended up making this a commercial game (as in, it'd cost money) would you be interested enough to buy it? (It is okay to say no)

That's all for now. Thanks for taking a look at my crazy concept!
Last edited by SilverHyena on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Alehaeus: The Radiant Kingdom [GxG/B] [Fantasy]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

SilverHyena wrote: Alena
Princess
The daughter of the current King of Alehaeus. Also, you. You might not be the most demure of princesses, but you do care a great deal about your kingdom and want to see it prosper.

1. Does Alena have an established personality? Will the reader be able to shape her personality through choices?

2. Does she have political power? What skills does she have -- combat, magic, strategy, languages, or anything else?

3. When I saw the character's name, I thought about Dragon Quest 4. In that video game, one of the major characters is Princess Alena. She's a tomboy has two bodyguards.
SilverHyena wrote: Hiro
Hero of Prophecy
Some kid from another world that's supposed to be able to save Alehaeus from darkness. He's smaller than you imagined. And as far as you can tell his combat ability is... Lacking. He is really nice though. As a person, you like him well enough. You're just not sure he's qualified to save the place you call home.
1. The character's description makes him sound like an ordinary guy who lacks abilities, and who needs training. Perhaps some of the conflict in your story should be whether Hiro can improve enough to fight villains.

2. How much personality will he get? Since he isn't a point-of-view character, I believe that the reader should get a good impression of who he is, and what he wants. Maybe he wants to enjoy his time in another world, or maybe he would prefer to go home as soon as possible. Maybe his main goal is redeeming Chandra. (Kind of like what happened in the El-Hazard OAV series, in which the harem protagonist Makoto was quite focused on redeeming Ifurita.) Maybe he's better at formulating strategies -- thanks to video game experience? -- than fighting battles. (Shiroe from Log Horizon thinks and plans instead of running into battle.)

3. Another possible angle to consider: maybe some of the story should focus on who will help Hiro train for combat. I noticed the sentence "Protect your status as best girl or steer the hero into the arms of another woman (Or man. Whatever.)" Perhaps the reader could get to decide which people will assist Hiro. If Alena has combat skills, then perhaps she can teach him. Alternately, she can ask Alder or Brier to train him. (Maybe he'll be attracted to his teacher. Or maybe not.)

4. When I saw the character's name, I was reminded of the video game Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and the novel Snow Crash.
SilverHyena wrote:Save your world by lending the hero your aid. (Or let it fall to chaos. Whatever.)
Will there be at least one villain? If there is, then your story will probably benefit. It's easy to build conflict around fighting a human enemy, and being afraid of their abilities.

Will the reader learn who summoned Hiro and Nariko into the world? If so, then you can choose to keep it a secret for a while, or show the person responsible early on.
SilverHyena wrote:So, it should be obvious that this game is inspired by harem anime that would generally be aimed at males. Problem is, since I changed the protagonist to a female, I'm not sure who my audience is now. Would you prefer it if I tried to stay true to the harem anime feel or would it be better if I slanted it more towards what you'd expect from a traditional otome game?
One potential goal: write the visual novel equivalent of a four-quadrant movie. Aim for the largest possible audience, in a good way. In other words, it should be a compelling story which appeals to people, and which doesn't seem designed by committee.

Another potential goal: write your protagonist's perspective regarding a fantasy harem story. What does she think of her friends and rivals? Does she care about the main guy, or would she rather fight evil / develop relationships with others?

One last potential goal: write your VN in order to show that your protagonist's POV is interesting. She isn't just one of four heroines for a guy to choose. Instead, she's a fictional person who can make her own decisions and influence her world. Her perspective has merit.
SilverHyena wrote:I'm thinking about adding the type of fanservice scenes you would see in harem style anime (think hot springs or beach episodes). Is this a good idea or a bad one? Since it's kind of an otome game now, would that sort of thing turn you off? Or would you prefer to have it? And if so, would you want said fanservice to be geared towards male or female characters or both?
For what it's worth, Fruits Basket has hot springs as well as beach chapters. Both My Love Story! and Ouran Host Club have beach chapters.

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)

#3 Post by SilverHyena »

Whoo, boy. Sorry if this isn't as organized as it could be. (And thanks for the great response!)

Alena

1- She will have an established personality. Sure, there will be some wiggle room as far as choices, but I'm the type of writer who likes developing their characters. I know all the current ones sound like stereotypes (because that's all they are in the descriptions), but they should come off as unique and likable enough before I'm through with them. Hopefully. I will say that I'm planning to give Alena a lot of agency so, even if she does have an established personality, there will be a lot of options regarding how she can effect the story. After all, I really dislike it when the whole story could have happened without the main character.

2- As for her powers... She's definitely a magic user. She's not as skilled as Alder, but she's probably pretty talented in her own right. I'll think about giving her other strengths too as I come up with some actual plot points. I really like the idea that she knows multiple languages. And some skill in strategy could be interesting too. I'm leaving combat to Brier though. (And Nariko actually)

3- Ah, didn't realize Dragon Quest already had a princess Alena. I had a different name for her originally but ultimately decided to derive it from the kingdom's name. :P So yeah, I'll probably change it back if I can remember what it was. Or make a new one. Either way, we can just side step that awkwardness all together. (Thanks for the heads up)

Hiro

1- That is the idea. Since I want him to be the typical protagonist coming off as ordinary is kind of important to me. That being said, I'll be sure to give him lots of opportunities to grow. After all, I do want people to want to do his route. (And it needs to make sense for the other characters to find something attractive about him)

2/3- There's some good ideas in there! I'll definitely consider them! (Also, on a side note, watching El Hazard was what made me want to do this particular project)

4- Haha, yeah. I'm not surprised. I picked Hiro because it's cliche and it sounds like hero. So yeah. I'm not too worried about his name in particular.

Villain - I'm in the very early stages of this idea so I haven't settled on a main villain just yet. However, I do agree. (I was actually thinking about making the villain a romance option too actually. :P)

Summoning - I was actually thinking it'd be the Princess herself (or Alder). So there wouldn't be a big mystery as to who summoned him. How the hero is chosen could be one though. (And how to get him and Nariko back)

Goals - Those are some cool ideas. I'll definitely give them a shot. I do already have ideas on how Alena and Hiro will relate to the rest of the cast. After all, I feel like they need at least some connection to base their relationships on. ;)

And fair enough. I guess most anime series do have beach/hot springs episodes. :P I think I'll just do them and not worry about it. It sounds like they'd be fun to write.

Agashi
Regular
Completed: Celestial Crossing, This My Soul
Projects: Queen's Crown
Organization: Code: Silk
Tumblr: queenscrownvn
itch: agashi

#4 Post by Agashi »

SilverHyena wrote: - So, it should be obvious that this game is inspired by harem anime that would generally be aimed at males. Problem is, since I changed the protagonist to a female, I'm not sure who my audience is now. Would you prefer it if I tried to stay true to the harem anime feel or would it be better if I slanted it more towards what you'd expect from a traditional otome game?

- I'm thinking about adding the type of fanservice scenes you would see in harem style anime (think hot springs or beach episodes). Is this a good idea or a bad one? Since it's kind of an otome game now, would that sort of thing turn you off? Or would you prefer to have it? And if so, would you want said fanservice to be geared towards male or female characters or both?

- Is there any type of character that I didn't include that you'd like to see in the game? As a romance option or otherwise? (For example, I don't have a beefy, muscular guy yet. I might need to add one of those... Hmm...)

- If I ended up making this a commercial game (as in, it'd cost money) would you be interested enough to buy it? (It is okay to say no)

That's all for now. Thanks for taking a look at my crazy concept!
Interesting premise! I'm always up for more fantasy/medieval themed games! I do have a couple concerns though:

1 - I wouldn't worry too much about conforming to "traditional" otome game tropes, especially since the spin you've put on this is what makes it sound so unique... :wink: My concern is mainly that your approach puts your central plot at risk of being unfocused or confusing. If done well, I have no doubt that this can be great, but if a lot of emphasis is placed on the MC's choices, and those choices lead her AWAY from Hiro (because he doesn't sound all that appealing to me as a character at the moment, tbh, but that's just me), you could run into the problem of the central conflict feeling like an afterthought...

2 - Fanservice in general can be great! If you want to include it, do! :mrgreen: That being said, since the MC is female, I definitely feel like you should keep that audience in mind. If the fanservice-y bits are meant to center around and cater to HIRO, that would irk me as a player. I'm not Hiro. Now if the fanservice centers around appealing to the MC, I'm all for that! Personally, I would ensure that only those scenes that pertain to whichever romance interest MC is pursuing are unlocked in any given playthrough. Some people don't like GxG, GxB, or BxB, after all, and I wouldn't try to force them on anyone who doesn't want to see them...

3 - I actually like all the characters you have listed here. A little more depth to the ones you have would be preferable to jamming in as any different ones as possible, to me, at least... :lol:

4 - I would need to know more. I'd want to play a demo of the game before I made my decision, and it also depends on the price you're planning to put on it. Based solely on what you've shown here - and provided the price is somewhere around $20 - I guess my answer would be a tentative... sure? :mrgreen:
Current Projects:

Image [GxB][Fantasy][Drama][Romance] Play the demo here!

Image [GxB][Sci Fi][Romance][Drama] Nanoreno '17 winner! Now COMPLETE!

Proud writer of Celestial Crossing! [Fantasy][SoL][High School][BxG] COMPLETE!

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#5 Post by DarkSin »

Your concept sounds very interesting! I love the character designs, especially Alena and Chandra!

Mmm I don't have any special suggestions, other than perhaps a reiteration of the thoughts behind Agashi's points 1 and 2.

Also I would definitely be interesting in buying this! In fact, given the apparent scope of the project, I would feel bad if were to download and play the game without supporting the creator D:

Good luck! :D

Hojita
Regular
Projects: sidérea
Tumblr: hojitasdelimon
Deviantart: limolimonera

#6 Post by Hojita »

This one really got my attention, so I gonna answer the questions!

- Would you prefer it if I tried to stay true to the harem anime feel or would it be better if I slanted it more towards what you'd expect from a traditional otome game?

The fact that MC is actually a girl and specially the guy who got transported to another world, is one of the things that got mky attention. It would be nice to have another point of view of the generical harem fantasy otome/galge.
Also, you had said that romance is not obligatory and I think it can lead to a lot of options and endings, and it would make it very replayable.

Maybe some satiric fanservice? Like, playing with generic fanservice and making humor. I don't know how much humor you wanna put on it, but i have the feeling this story will be more interesting and original if use as parody some clitches and tropes.
Anyway, some little fanservice of every character in theirs specific rutes would be nice for the fans.

Maybe some kind of half animal of kind of spirit character. I would be nice anothe guy too.

Yes, I don't know how much longer this could be, maybe... around 3-5 hours per character? I think this should cost at least 15 dollars if can give al least 15-20 hours of lecture.

SilverHyena
Veteran

#7 Post by SilverHyena »

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I really appreciate it! :mrgreen: They had a lot of good feedback in them too.

(Also, I changed Alena's name to Anthea. Thank you gekiganwing for pointing out that there was already a Princess Alena in Dragon Quest. No need to compete with that. :P)

@Agashi: I think Hiro will turn out interesting in the end considering some of the plans I have for him, but I do get that he sounds a little plain from the description. While I'm a little worried about that, I also think it's okay since he is supposed to be your typical protagonist (a.k.a. not very notable at first glance). I'll definitely keep that point in mind as I write it though. I'd rather give him some actual traits than have him end up completely boring. :shock:

I'll probably go ahead with the fanservice idea but have it linked to the character you're pursuing so hopefully you're seeing stuff you actually want to see. There might be a few exceptions since I don't know how doable that will ultimately be, but I'll try not to excessively throw everything at everyone. No need to alienate people when I don't have to I guess. :P

And on your final point... Thanks! I'm glad they sound interesting. I probably will have to add some characters for story reasons as I go so I might make one of those characters romanceable to some extent, but I think I'll take your advice and keep the main focus on this group.

Also, thank you for the pricing input. I'm still on the fence about what I want to do. I mean, I kind of want to keep it free, but at the same time if I was getting something out of it more than satisfaction I'd be more inclined to take on bigger projects like this one in the future. I was thinking about the possibility of doing two versions too. One for free without the fanservice stuff and a paid one with fanservice. I obviously couldn't charge much for that minor difference though. I dunno. I'm still thinking about it.

@DarkSin: Whoo! DarkSin! Hey! XD Thanks for looking at my silly little game idea. I'm glad you like the character designs. I do try. :D And yeah, Agashi made a lot of good points. It might be good to check out my reply to Agashi if you want to see my responses to those points.

@Hojita: Comical fanservice it is! Haha! But yeah, I definitely want the story to have quite a bit of humor in it so that works nicely. Taking advantage of fan service tropes is definitely a good idea. Also, you inadvertently reminded me that I do not have a mascot character! I'm sure I'll find a place to include some half animal characters in the story too, but for now... I have created a cat bird thing! Mwahahaha! (It's not as cute as mascots should probably be but whatever. :P) (Also, thanks for the pricing info. I'm really out of my depth on that so any suggestion is helpful!)
princess.png

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#8 Post by runeraccoon »

SilverHyena wrote: - So, it should be obvious that this game is inspired by harem anime that would generally be aimed at males. Problem is, since I changed the protagonist to a female, I'm not sure who my audience is now. Would you prefer it if I tried to stay true to the harem anime feel or would it be better if I slanted it more towards what you'd expect from a traditional otome game?

1. I have no idea what kind of scene will constitute harem anime feel or traditional otome game in your mind. Possibly because it's almost 3 AM now and I can't think clearly, but I don't see how they'll be different... xD Also because nowadays, my taste has broadened, so I don't mind either way. Unless you're deliberately saying that it's inspired by harem anime, though, I don't think that audience will flock in based on the premise + art style. So I'm leaning towards more otome feels.

2. If those fanservices are to MC's interest, I'd say go for it. xD The fanservice should depend on which route we pick. So... it's probably not in the common route, but going to the beach with the girls will make us see them in bikini, while going to hotspring with the guys will adorn our screen with many topless bishies.

3. I like the cast regardless.

4. Commercial game based on this premise only? It's a no for me, for now. If the price is cheap enough when it's out, I'll consider take it to support you, though! (When I have the moolah)
But to buy it as a real commercial game, I'll need either more elaborate plot to ensure I'll enjoy the story for a length of time, or unique/beautiful artwork that I want to see being played in the game itself. (Not that I don't adore your artworks.)

This is a bit strange, but as a BxB lover, I think a side pairing that progresses with your storyline between two male characters will be nice, whether they're capturables or not. Also I love that spoiler on the new maid www.

Rhea07
Projects: Shadowed Hearts
Organization: BlueBird Studio
Deviantart: Eternal--art

#9 Post by Rhea07 »

- So, it should be obvious that this game is inspired by harem anime that would generally be aimed at males. Problem is, since I changed the protagonist to a female, I'm not sure who my audience is now. Would you prefer it if I tried to stay true to the harem anime feel or would it be better if I slanted it more towards what you'd expect from a traditional otome game?
I personally don't quite like the harem anime feel and I would rather see something more from a traditional otome. Or you could combine the two somehow. But anyways, if I were you I wouldn't go the harem route.
Ummm, well I wouldn't mind seeing some shirtless hotties lmao. But I wouldn't mind as much as long as it doesn't detract from the story too much. And I'd say both so it's fair for those who might prefer to play the boys routes only or vice versa.
Hmmm, I think you have enough romance options. You should really focus on bringing the ones you have to life rather than add more. I know you're just giving us the bare minimum of what your characters are like, but I'm still sure you have a lot to work on with them.
Lol at the beefy muscular guy. Not my type of guy but don't add him for that reason alone. Make sure your characters are an integral part of the story otherwise not many will care for that said character.
You have completed many games so I'm sure you'd have people buying, but for me personally at the moment. no. Your story is interesting but nothing really sticks out. I don't see a plot, and I'd like an established plot that I know will interest me enough to pay for it. As with the characters, same with your story. Again, I can't judge them too harshly since I know barely anything, but they don't quite stand out to me. I'm not trying to be mean here though as I really think you can do good to this game. Art wise, I'd pay for it depending on the price. Your characters are well drawn and look nice. ^_^

Overall, I wish you much luck!

Steamy Beard

#10 Post by Steamy Beard »

yes,make harem game...i like my lesbian orgies.
on a serous note...male protags became boring millennia ago...what there is to make ? 75%~(10% potatoes,10% otome) VNs are male lead. it became boring AF very fast.
i'm here for teh yuri only.
depends. too early to say.
since we already estabilished my point of view about lesbian orgies,i think the answer is obvious :twisted:
- Protect your status as best girl or steer the hero into the arms of another woman (Or man. Whatever.)
that made me feel like a pimp...i like it.

Blue Mythic
Organization: Blue Mythic

#11 Post by Blue Mythic »

Before I begin answering your questions, I have a bit of feedback for you!

First, I love the twist of not playing the human brought into the magical world, but instead playing somebody witnessing it happen. I'm not sure if it was done before but this is the first time I've seen it! If executed correctly I think it could be quite a fantastic concept.

Moving forward, I love the pervy old man, and the fact that his creepy spell didn't work already has me hooked hahaha. He's the character I'm most excited to see, to be honest.

Anyhoots, onto your questions~

Though I love Otome games, I think that keeping the harem feel would be better. That's just because I enjoy the comedy and hijinks of harem animes. Though, I guess you could mold those sort of things into an otome game. But, my vote is for a Harem style.

Fanservice is always a good idea in my book. Bring on the beach scenes! I'd say gear it toward both sexes, since you have dateable males and females.

The cast looks good to me, I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Yes, I would, it's such a unique concept!