SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG) commercial+demo

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Nayru774
Regular
Completed: SoulSet, Blankspace
Projects: The Elevator Game with Catgirls
Tumblr: NoBreadStudio
itch: nobreadstudio

Re: SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG) commercial+

#16 Post by Nayru774 »

@Zelan - Thank you kindly! c: We'd love to have you on-board, of course!

@lunafreya - Oh, dear... I was worried there might be some complications with that. But now that you mention that only one achievement registered for you (did it register the moment you started the game anew, after the disclaimers?) I believe I know where the problem might be, since that was the only achievement I forgot to add in the code and fixed it for the Steam version. I'm guessing it was a mistake to have achievement commands in the script in any builds outside of Steam. I will definitely look into this and I'm sorry that such a situation took place.

There's a "Delete All Game Progress" button in the Extras Gallery. Could you maybe check out if that would fix the achievement issue? Going through with it would wipe all your unlocked endings and clues found while at it, of course, so if that would be a problem then let me know. You could try copying your current save files beforehand, just to be on the safe side. They are located in C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\SoulSet-1441322582 (and the AppData folder is hidden, so you need to make it visible in your folder options.)
Image Image Image

lunafreya

#17 Post by lunafreya »

I did find that folder and moved it somewhere else, but it seems that only the saves the users make themselves are saved there, as I'm still able to skip through the next and the endings are still in the gallery. I guess I'll delete the save data the way you described, but I still would have liked to move it somewhere else before I do that.

Nayru774
Regular

#18 Post by Nayru774 »

From what I observed so far, once you press that button to delete all progress, it resets already seen text, CG, BG, Ending and Clue progress, but it doesn't erase any saves you made manually at the save screen. So you start the game anew, but with your save files still intact. I found this really weird at first (to be honest, I still do) and I researched the issue on the forums around here a while back, but Tom pretty much said that he doesn't see why an option for wiping all saves clean should be a concern for many people, hence why it's not a default option in Ren'Py. You can delete a save file by hovering over it with the mouse and pressing the delete button, so there's that, but there's no fast way to actually wipe them all at once.

Either way, once you try it out with the progress deletion, please let me know if the achievements start working for you or not. I am distressed by this whole situation and I'm trying to figure out ways that could fix this. I think I will actually make a thread about this on the forums around here and seek advice; perhaps someone could shed some light for us on this.
Image Image Image

lunafreya

#19 Post by lunafreya »

I deleted everything but I still don't get any achievements. :/

Nayru774
Regular

#20 Post by Nayru774 »

D:
Even after you skip through to an ending anywhere?
Image Image Image

Miyacrown

#21 Post by Miyacrown »

I'm also having trouble getting the steam achievements, I've used the button to erase my progress in the extra menu. Though I haven't played to an ending.

Nayru774
Regular

#22 Post by Nayru774 »

I've been thinking all day about this, and I came up with an idea that I'm hoping might actually fix this. I could try changing the achievement names in the code. Keeping in mind what happened with the Normal End achievement regarding our secret character, theoretically, doing something like this would make Steam believe those achievements are completely new compared to the ones getting granted in the Itch.io build and would grant them anew.

I don't have access to the build tonight anymore, but I will try doing this tomorrow first chance I get and I'll let you know right away once I do!
Image Image Image

lunafreya

#23 Post by lunafreya »

Yeah, I played through Yvonne's route from beginning to the end. I haven't tried any other characters, though, but I suspect it's much the same (as I did try loading saves from other routes and nothing happened).

Nayru774
Regular

#24 Post by Nayru774 »

Okay, I did what I said I'd do and checked it out myself by first getting an ending on the Itch.io build before then jumping over to the Steam version. The achievement unlocked for me, despite me already having the ending unlocked.

Take a look if it works for you now and let me know!
Image Image Image

lunafreya

#25 Post by lunafreya »

Yeah, they work now, but I'm unable to get the achievement for finding all the green clues, even though I've unlocked all endings. o_o Perhaps something got messed up because I mostly took a shortcut and used my saves to unlock the endings? Tthe clue page still looks like this. Which ending should I be getting this particular clue from? I'll try playing it from start to finish.

Nayru774
Regular

#26 Post by Nayru774 »

It seems that you're still missing the Green Clue from Marco's Bad Route. You get it by
cuddling with him for the night (after kissing him in the bath house), but then backing away when he's suggesting to keep a distance.
The achievements always get "checked" after the ending screens/at the very beginning of a new cycle, so be sure to skip through over past that spot in your playthrough.

And yeah, if someone uses their saves from the Itch.io build, they can pretty much get the achievements out of their destined order. (Like you just did with getting Feathor's endings without even having all green clues gathered). But that doesn't break the achievements themselves. I could also use a save from Marco's True Route and skip over to his ending and get that achievement, even though I have all my clue progress wiped.

Either way, this whole experience has been very eye-opening for me and I know what mistakes not to make for our future games, at least. The achievements are one thing, but the Itch.io build and Steam having separate save directories (so that the saves from one build won't work on the other) is another thing. Sadly, if I changed that now, either the Itch.io users or the Steam users would suddenly lose all of their current saves, so I can't do that anymore, but it's something that I'll always keep in mind from now on.

Thank you for bringing all of this up and helping me resolve it! Let me know if that last achievement with the green clues goes through for you. c:
Image Image Image

lunafreya

#27 Post by lunafreya »

Thanks, I've managed to get it now. :) This makes SoulSet the first game I've collected all achievements for, haha.

Nayru774
Regular

#28 Post by Nayru774 »

Great, I'm happy to hear it! c: I'm flattered that SoulSet managed to be your first! ^^

In other news, the SoulSet Prologue Demo is now available on Steam!
It shows the first hour of the game, so if you'd like to check SoulSet out, feel free to download and play!
Image Image Image

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#29 Post by parttimestorier »

Hi Nayru! I just finished reading SoulSet and quite liked it. :) I have a couple questions I was wondering if you could answer.
Is there a canon explanation behind the "How to Be Creepy" book? Did Feathor write it or something? Also, do the events of the "secret ending" mean that you have plans for a sequel?
ImageImageImage

Nayru774
Regular

#30 Post by Nayru774 »

@parttimestorier - First of all, thank you so much for mentioning SoulSet in your Crowdfunding article (I did share it over on reddit, as you've already seen and I'm sorry if I beat you to it, I didn't know you were active over there and simply found it very much worth sharing with the community!)

Second, thank you kindly for writing a review for the game! :3 I'm happy you enjoyed it even with the flaws you pointed out. I could shed a bit of light on some of the things you mentioned, but then again I'm not sure if that won't sound like I'm trying to make excuses and I don't know if you'd like to read my ramblings in the first place. ;3
And if the sex stuff felt the way it did, then it felt the way it did and saying that the characters from the SS universe might have a different approach to sex than we do in general probably won't help things, especially when none of that was really ever mentioned or explained in any way. In my defense, I always left an option and it was up to the player whether they wanted to get close to any of the characters in such a way or not. So at least there's that?
As for the mystery solutions - I am aware it could have been presented better, but I will blame this one on time and budget restrains (you saw our IGG campaign, so you know that our budget was practically non-existent). And this was a 3 people project, with me working on the character sprites, story, script, GUI and programming of everything all on my own. Honestly, with the workload we had, it was a miracle we finished this project in the first place. 8D; (And it was our first, to boot!)

As for your questions...
"How to Be Creepy" book? What book? Did you see some kind of book in the game somewhere? 8D
Jokes aside, the book is more of an Easter Egg thing. Marcianek (the person who drew the item icons for us) felt inspired to write all of those pages and I figured that I don't mind and decided to include them in the game (for the record, Lazor Mutik was also her idea!) So... Its contents are completely up to interpretation. ;3
About the "Secret Ending"... Well, who knows. c:
Either way, a big thank you for playing and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed SoulSet overall. If I ever start to consider making any kind of sequel more seriously, I'll remember that you're another person that would be interested in seeing one. c:

EDIT: Oh, and just out of curiosity (if you don't mind me asking!), what was that one event that got skipped that you wanted to see explained in more detail?
Image Image Image