Selfish [GxB][Fantasy][DEMO NOW AVAILABLE]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Selfish [GxB][Fantasy][Kemonomimi][18+]

#16 Post by Zelan »

Aw shit, he's a lot more adorable than I thought he would be. cx Nice job on that art!

Valhalla
Regular

#17 Post by Valhalla »

Zelan wrote:Aw shit, he's a lot more adorable than I thought he would be. cx Nice job on that art!
Right! I think because of his lop ears they make him look sweeter then he actually is, haha!
Image Image Image

LunarNoir

#18 Post by LunarNoir »

Hi! This seems like a dark story; it may have caught my interest... that aspect, I mean.
I would like to make a short comment on the art. It looks fantastic! It seems to really fit the story in general.
Though, Octavius seems more sweet than cold to me though, as you mentioned before.
At first, I thought it was my imagination, but I guess it is confirmed here then as well. Anyways, great art!
I will go ahead and answer your questions here and all - hopefully they help, and best of luck in Selfish!

Story
Reading the synopsis, it seems... bland? Possibly, it's just because I'm not into royalty and political things.
Or maybe it is because the synopsis didn't really hook me up like crazy. I like one that just leaves me hanging.
The ones that end with a question, a thoughtful phrase, a quote, or even ellipses are my most favorite.
That is when I know someone really put in the effort to hook people in just from the synopsis. However!
What really interests me is the characters. You seem to have a diverse cast; I have to appreciate that.
You have a lot of supporting cast - I'm curious to see their true significance within the story.
Also, the character relationships. I find that those are important in stories like yours.
I look forward to see these kinds of things develop throughout the story.

Favoritism
Keeping this short and sweet, I will just briefly rank the characters based on my thoughts.
I nearly always have a favorite when it comes to characters. This is no exception.
When this game comes out, I am definitely pursuing certain characters first over others.
Unless you plan for it to be like Nameless ~the one thing you must recall~.
You have to read in a certain order because each route reveals something.
The left-hand side represents my most favorite, and the right is my least.
Theodore > Ivor > Nairn > Leon > Ronan > Petre > Magnolia > Octavius > Selene > Quinn.

Other
I just wanted to comment that this seems like a long project, but you only have one editor.
Like, okay, it feels like a lot. Even editing 100K words solely by myself would feel a little much to me.
Also, I would like to point out something. You have a simple grammar error. You may choose to fix it or leave it be.
In Jolene's profile, you say "Kamilla and her often spend their time together..."
Instead, it should be, "Kamilla and she..." or "She and Kamilla."
After all, it doesn't make sense to say, "Her often spends her time..." That's why she is the proper word.
Sorry for being a grammar cop, but I can't read a story without its perfect/stylish grammar. I just can't.

Valhalla
Regular

#19 Post by Valhalla »

LunarNoir wrote:Hi! This seems like a dark story; it may have caught my interest... that aspect, I mean.
I would like to make a short comment on the art. It looks fantastic! It seems to really fit the story in general.
Though, Octavius seems more sweet than cold to me though, as you mentioned before.
At first, I thought it was my imagination, but I guess it is confirmed here then as well. Anyways, great art!
I will go ahead and answer your questions here and all - hopefully they help, and best of luck in Selfish!
First of all, hello! I'm glad we've captured your interest! And yeah, I think it must be Otto's ears as I said earlier. My artist and I discussed it at length, but I think the sweet face hiding the cold demeanour is actually also good in it's own right.
LunarNoir wrote:Story
Reading the synopsis, it seems... bland? Possibly, it's just because I'm not into royalty and political things.
Or maybe it is because the synopsis didn't really hook me up like crazy. I like one that just leaves me hanging.
The ones that end with a question, a thoughtful phrase, a quote, or even ellipses are my most favorite.
That is when I know someone really put in the effort to hook people in just from the synopsis. However!
What really interests me is the characters. You seem to have a diverse cast; I have to appreciate that.
You have a lot of supporting cast - I'm curious to see their true significance within the story.
Also, the character relationships. I find that those are important in stories like yours.
I look forward to see these kinds of things develop throughout the story.
I can't write a synopsis well, even when I put a lot of effort into it like this one. But I'm glad that the characters at least hooked you in. The characters all have important parts to play, some in certain routes more then others obviously.
LunarNoir wrote:Favoritism
Keeping this short and sweet, I will just briefly rank the characters based on my thoughts.
I nearly always have a favorite when it comes to characters. This is no exception.
When this game comes out, I am definitely pursuing certain characters first over others.
Unless you plan for it to be like Nameless ~the one thing you must recall~.
You have to read in a certain order because each route reveals something.
The left-hand side represents my most favorite, and the right is my least.
Theodore > Ivor > Nairn > Leon > Ronan > Petre > Magnolia > Octavius > Selene > Quinn.
I am so sorry that Theo is your favourite. LOL. He is an interesting character for sure, and definitely important to the story. For the moment, Otto, Nairn and Leon are the only routes which will be available, but you can do them in any order. Depending on how we progress we may add Ronan and Ivor.
LunarNoir wrote:Other
I just wanted to comment that this seems like a long project, but you only have one editor.
Like, okay, it feels like a lot. Even editing 100K words solely by myself would feel a little much to me.
Also, I would like to point out something. You have a simple grammar error. You may choose to fix it or leave it be.
In Jolene's profile, you say "Kamilla and her often spend their time together..."
Instead, it should be, "Kamilla and she..." or "She and Kamilla."
After all, it doesn't make sense to say, "Her often spends her time..." That's why she is the proper word.
Sorry for being a grammar cop, but I can't read a story without its perfect/stylish grammar. I just can't.
Thank you for pointing out that grammar mistake! I'll definitely fix it. In terms of editing our editor feels she will be able to cope with the work load on her own, plus with three writers I'm sure we're happy to help if she does become overwhelmed.

Thank you for all your comments and feedback!
Image Image Image

Valhalla
Regular

#20 Post by Valhalla »

Hello again! Just a quick preview of the chibis being drawn by ricuu

Image Image Image

Valhalla
Regular

#21 Post by Valhalla »

Hello! Just a quick update with our completed chibis! For more frequent updates follow us on twitter, facebook or tumblr!

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Valhalla on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

Elmvine
Regular
itch: elmvine

#22 Post by Elmvine »

?? These Chibis are to die for. My heart has been warmed.

Valhalla
Regular

#23 Post by Valhalla »

@Elmvine Thank you so much. We're glad that you like them =)

Hey everyone!

As you may or may not know we had a brief break for March. Our writers were all working on NaNo projects, but with that over we now are back to working on Selfish.

The first third of the common route is written and awaiting editing while the second part is being written.

The variations for the castle background are above, and aren't they amazing!?

Current Word Count for Selfish pre-editing: 16, 147
Image Image Image

LuckyCats
Regular

#24 Post by LuckyCats »

What do you think of the story/characters so far?

It reminds me a bit of Yoshiwara Ohgiya/Kikuya in that they both have a courtesan/red light settings
Having the mc a courtesan herself will be interesting. Seeing everything from the point of view of someone within the house instead of as a free individual/customer like the mc in Yoshiwara.

I'm happy to see that you've included a large supporting cast. A lot of otomes phase out everyone except the love interests and the worlds can feel rather empty and bland when they do that.

2. Who are your favorite characters at the moment?

Kamilla
She seems like a personable wolf creature
with a thoughtful and selfless personality.
I like that she is a predator animal rather than a prey one
maybe she could eat Otto if he stays a jerk X'D

Otto
The gap between his sweetheart appearance and his kuudere/cold personality is appealing (he look soo darn cute argh!) but also think he could use a swift kick in the balls from his quote where he's trying to devalue the mcs worth as an individual. I think he has a lot of room for character growth. I'm most curious as to how the mc and his relationship is going to play out.

Nairn
Brash overly confident characters can be pretty amusing plus that hes singled the mc out as the only person he doesn't flirt with makes me wonder if its a matter of taste or does he feels shes not someone he should treat carelessly.

Ivor
I love sweetheart types every otome needs one in my opinion. I feel like he may be dangerously adorable X3
You mentioned that you might give him a route yet he's in an exclusive contract with Theodore. That could turn out to be pretty engaging him being contractually bound yet falling in love despite that.

Ronan
Him being cheery and easygoing outwardly but it possibly being a front triggers my interest. Characters that arent necessarily what they appear to be at first glance are a plus for me. Also im a sucker for fox demons in general kamisama kiss-tomoe, enchanted in the moonlight-miyabi, fire emblem-♥kaden♥, Gugure!Kokkuri san - Kokkuri XD

3. Any other comments or questions?

OMG those background cgs are just gorgeous incredibly well done! My favorite is the scene with the rain. I look forward to seeing more art from the artist :D

I noticed this has a 18+ tag do you have another otome to compare it to that's similar in regards to explicitness? Like more so/less so than dogenzakas games?

How many endings will there be?

Will there be bad endings?

When will the rest of the cast get their profile art?

Please tell me which chibi is which I may be mixing some of them up lol

Valhalla
Regular

#25 Post by Valhalla »

@LuckyCats Wow! Thank you for your thorough response.
LuckyCats wrote:It reminds me a bit of Yoshiwara Ohgiya/Kikuya in that they both have a courtesan/red light settings
Having the mc a courtesan herself will be interesting. Seeing everything from the point of view of someone within the house instead of as a free individual/customer like the mc in Yoshiwara.
I have played Yoshiwara Kikuya I think briefly but couldn't get into it. It had such pretty art though...
I think the power dynamic between Kamilla and the other characters definitely plays an important role in the story.
LuckyCats wrote:I'm happy to see that you've included a large supporting cast. A lot of otomes phase out everyone except the love interests and the worlds can feel rather empty and bland when they do that.
I agree! I like to involve the other characters stories into the plot until everything is interwoven. Even in the individual routes the other characters all play important parts.
LuckyCats wrote:Kamilla
She seems like a personable wolf creature
with a thoughtful and selfless personality.
I like that she is a predator animal rather than a prey one
maybe she could eat Otto if he stays a jerk X'D
She may have to in the end. LOL. That bunny wouldn't stand a chance. I think she's tries to play herself off as harmless but when push comes to shove she's more then able to stand up for herself.
LuckyCats wrote:Otto
The gap between his sweetheart appearance and his kuudere/cold personality is appealing (he look soo darn cute argh!) but also think he could use a swift kick in the balls from his quote where he's trying to devalue the mcs worth as an individual. I think he has a lot of room for character growth. I'm most curious as to how the mc and his relationship is going to play out.

Nairn
Brash overly confident characters can be pretty amusing plus that hes singled the mc out as the only person he doesn't flirt with makes me wonder if its a matter of taste or does he feels shes not someone he should treat carelessly.

Ivor
I love sweetheart types every otome needs one in my opinion. I feel like he may be dangerously adorable X3
You mentioned that you might give him a route yet he's in an exclusive contract with Theodore. That could turn out to be pretty engaging him being contractually bound yet falling in love despite that.

Ronan
Him being cheery and easygoing outwardly but it possibly being a front triggers my interest. Characters that arent necessarily what they appear to be at first glance are a plus for me. Also im a sucker for fox demons in general kamisama kiss-tomoe, enchanted in the moonlight-miyabi, fire emblem-♥kaden♥, Gugure!Kokkuri san - Kokkuri XD
I think Otto and Kamilla's route is going to be a real rollercoaster. I think I'll leave it at that, lol. Nairn is a bab. Cocky, but a total sweetheart at the core of that. Ivor is my secret fav and every day brings me closer to being like "Yes, we're doing this route" Haha. Ronan definitely has a lot going on, which will be explored to some extent within Nairn's route, but giving him his own route will really allow him to shine.

LuckyCats wrote:OMG those background cgs are just gorgeous incredibly well done! My favorite is the scene with the rain. I look forward to seeing more art from the artist :D
Every time I receive one it really improves my day. ReFiend does incredible work =)
LuckyCats wrote:I noticed this has a 18+ tag do you have another otome to compare it to that's similar in regards to explicitness? Like more so/less so than dogenzakas games?
Hm... After a little research I'm gonna say about the same level. In short, highly suggestive without explicitly stating.
LuckyCats wrote:How many endings will there be?
Will there be bad endings?

Currently, each route will have a good and bad ending. There may be secret end or neutral ends if they feel right but for now that is it.
LuckyCats wrote:When will the rest of the cast get their profile art?
Our artist is working away at it slowly. I will update as I receive the art.
LuckyCats wrote:Please tell me which chibi is which I may be mixing some of them up lol
Whoops, I thought I labelled them.
(top) Kamilla, Otto, Leon, Ivor
(bottom) Jolene, Quinn, Nairn, Ronan

Thank you for the feedback!
Image Image Image

LuckyCats
Regular

#26 Post by LuckyCats »

Valhalla wrote: I have played Yoshiwara Kikuya I think briefly but couldn't get into it. It had such pretty art though...
I think the power dynamic between Kamilla and the other characters definitely plays an important role in the story.
I know what you mean yoshiwaras art was super pretty but a lot of the stories were too formulaic.
There were a few that stood out though. (But also a few routes I had to rush through)

Valhalla wrote: She may have to in the end. LOL. That bunny wouldn't stand a chance. I think she's tries to play herself off as harmless but when push comes to shove she's more then able to stand up for herself..
Right right I got that feeling from her too! Quiet strength isn't always apparent since its not showy but its just as impressive as any other kind o(≧∇≦o)

Valhalla wrote:I think Otto and Kamilla's route is going to be a real rollercoaster. I think I'll leave it at that, lol. Nairn is a bab. Cocky, but a total sweetheart at the core of that. Ivor is my secret fav and every day brings me closer to being like "Yes, we're doing this route" Haha. Ronan definitely has a lot going on, which will be explored to some extent within Nairn's route, but giving him his own route will really allow him to shine

I'm cheering for Ivor and Ronan to be added to the main routes as well! Especially now that I know which chibi is which lolol Ivor really is as dangerously cute as I imagined. They really all are though its hard to pic a favorite
(。>‿‿<。 )

Valhalla wrote:Every time I receive one it really improves my day. ReFiend does incredible work =)
Do they have a tumblr or deviant art where I can see more of their work? Are they the sprite artist as well as background artist?

Valhalla wrote:Our artist is working away at it slowly. I will update as I receive the art
I look forward to it :3
Valhalla wrote:LuckyCats Wow! Thank you for your thorough response.
you're very welcome happy to share my thoughts on the game(*^ワ^*)

Valhalla
Regular

#27 Post by Valhalla »

LuckyCats wrote:Do they have a tumblr or deviant art where I can see more of their work? Are they the sprite artist as well as background artist?
Yes, please check out his deviantart here. He is just our background artist.
Image Image Image

Valhalla
Regular

#28 Post by Valhalla »

Hey guys!

Just wanted to show you the first few tracks of the OST which have been made by Beatsonic.

You can listen to them all here
Image Image Image

Valhalla
Regular

#29 Post by Valhalla »

Hey!

Just popping by to show off the new character art. Unfortunately we had some problems with our previous artist and we had to replace her, but in exchange we got the wonderful Novclow! Look forward to more of her work soon XD
Image Image Image

chiharuchi
Regular

#30 Post by chiharuchi »

Aaaa yaayy~ Keep up the good work gais. You are contributing to the otome community for the 18+ tag. You shall be in the history. = u =