OverClock Gear [Romance/Adventure/Psychological]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
arcdawn

OverClock Gear [Romance/Adventure/Psychological]

#1 Post by arcdawn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Follow me @OverclockDev for more frequent updates and a link to my dev blog!
Thanks!
Overview of OCG
OverClock Gear is a Romantic Adventure Kinetic Novel about Time Travel/Technology, Fate, Growth, and Justice.

Details:
There is only 1 Route (With several slight changes in text depending on character interactions). The game will be split up into 11 Chapters, 2 arcs, a prologue and an epilogue. It is set in a future where mankind is defending against monster attacks (Dimensional beasts) as well as trying to manage their own politics between zones.

Setting: The world takes place roughly 20 years in the future. There are beings called Dimensional Beasts that suddenly showed up and started ravaging everything in their paths. The core of the story will be told in the Capital of Telexxia, a new country that was founded after a world peace agreement a 10 years prior to the events of OCG. The country is run by a monarch system with various branches of sub-governments for each zone. The protagonist comes from a zone that is well-protected from the DBs as it is far away from the combat location as well as decently isolated via the ruins of a past battle beyond city borders.

Investigators are a group of people that attempt to gather information about anything related to DBs. They carry out direct orders from the King. The main party of the story is a group of such Investigators.

The plan is to get Arc 1 out and to the public by 2019!

Arc 1: The story follows Karin, a terminally ill girl who is suddenly saved from her fate by a mysterious cloaked person. Karin is caught in a series of strange events until one day, her friend Cecilia falls ill due to overworking herself. She decides to join The Troupe in their investigation on the Dimensional Beasts in order to get money to help her friend.
**Brief summary but the story begins to shape into something that is hopefully unexpected and epic.

Dimensional Beasts (DBs): These are unknown life forms that began to show up and terrorize humanity. There is very little knowledge of them other than Qazite, a newly discovered mineral, is the only thing effective against them. However, Qazite is a relatively rare material.

Main Characters:
http://imgur.com/a/RLbBl
Karin: The protagonist of arc 1. She is a caring girl who tends to jump to conclusions, but also naive to the world around her. She is initially in despair over her condition and position in The Troupe but eventually hardens her resolve to help her friend and partake unknowingly in a job that changes her life. She is driven by her desire to be a useful member of society.

Lionel: He is the head honcho of The Troupe, a task force that is following the disappearance of a well known DB researcher. He has lost parts of his memories which he uses this opportunity to search for.

Lafiel Telexxia: Lafiel is the Princess of Terra. She is a bit of an airhead and foreign to the ways of normal people but she is kind and wise and provides emotional support to those who need it. She strives to protect her citizens from the DB onslaught.

Cecilia: Karin's childhood friend. She is a headstrong and caring woman who is the owner of the Orange Store. She tends to go overboard on taking on duties and ends up collapsing on her way back from one of her side jobs.

Buddy: Karin and Cecilia's childhood friend. He provides a foil to Karin's typically level headed and calm demeanor but he is surprisingly mature when it matters. He's a bona fide geek as well as an airsoft enthusiast. He joins The Troupe as a favor to Cecilia as well as to keep an eye on Karin.

Hammer: He is the weapons guy. He provides weapons for the Troupe and is very protective of them.

Ana - A carefree gunslinger girl who wants to fight the DBs. She is a survivor of an attack on her hometown and travels with The Troupe as a way of getting revenge.

The Professor - A mysterious genius whose goals are unknown.

Yuki - An edgy character. She's a master of swordplay and martial arts.
Some Concept Art:
http://imgur.com/a/noYJO
No idea how to get images on forums soo XP
Progress:
Story:
Premise (Done)
Outline (Done)
First Draft (Underway)
Arc 1
- Prologue (100% scripted)
- Ch. 1 (100% Scripted Second draft)
- Ch. 2 (100% Scripted Second draft)
- Ch. 3 (100% Scripted Second Draft)
- Ch. 4 ( 50% Scripted First Draft )
- Ch. 5 ( )
- Ch. 6 ( )
- Epilogue ( )

editing first draft ( )
Final Draft ( )
editing final draft ( )
Finalized story ( )
Gameplay/Coding:
Insert all story text ( )
Insert all effects ( )
Character Design: ()
Visuals:
Logo (drafting)
Backgrounds (5% )
potential animated cutscenes (pending)
Custom HUD design (pending)
Music/sound effects:
Music Planning (in progress)
write music (4/10)
Sound effects (heartbeats,and footsteps ripped. clock ticks are still placeholder)
Voice acting ( )

Staff
:
ArcDawn - Director, Writer, Music, concept art, Programming, PV editing/production, Title Design
OutOfChars - Editor
Josh - Editor
JECW - Music contributor
ASR - GUI and Title Design Assistance
Orangela - Monster Design
Rasel - BG Art
Yoshi K - CG/Sprites
Winnetou - Character Design (?)
Bella - DB Sprite Artist
***Still in need of a lot of help! If interested please let me know!
Features:
Hopefully it will be an enjoyable read. I am planning on a 10-15 hour script for arc 1.
There will be some nice visuals as well as at least 10 tracks of music.
One big thing will be choreography with Renpy's 3D camera in order to make the visual experience more appealing.

soo...yeah that's my thing. It's been an idea I've been playing around with for about 5 years (Only recently tossing about 90% of it away and starting fresh to come up with a compelling story) I've been inspired by a few of the visual novels I read recently so I would like to make a work that, if I read it, I would be like wow...this is incredible!

So my question to you guys are:

-What are your thoughts on the plot?
-What would you like to see?

Also finally, here's a concept video:
Last edited by arcdawn on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Kayseur

Re: OverClock Gear [Romance/Adventure/Psychological]

#2 Post by Kayseur » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:11 pm

- Any comments on the plot?

Well from the premise alone and the quick description of the character, it does sound cheesy to me, or kinda like a synospis I'd have read quite a number of time before (you know, the seemingly weak/clueless hero who's suddenly tasked to save the world) — BUT you seem ambitious (~10h of script!) so you probably have a good idea of where you want to lead your story and how you want to develop your universe.
So regarding your second question, I wouldn't provide more details on the plot, but on that said universe. What about the political zones you talk about? How's the world functioning with all those time travel capacities? Maybe include part of those answers inside your synopsis to create a more unique feeling.

- Would this type of plot be well received?

Again it's quite typical for me, but I admit it's not my cup of tea (not too fond of action stuff, unless it's exceptionally well done) so I'm not the best judge. I do think one or two striking visuals would add a lot to your pitch, as it'd unfog the mystery a bit.

- For script

I'd vote for longer script, but that's just me picturing your story more as a big fantasy novel (or sci fi... or both) than anything else.

arcdawn

#3 Post by arcdawn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:18 am

Kayseur wrote:- Any comments on the plot?

Well from the premise alone and the quick description of the character, it does sound cheesy to me, or kinda like a synospis I'd have read quite a number of time before (you know, the seemingly weak/clueless hero who's suddenly tasked to save the world) — BUT you seem ambitious (~10h of script!) so you probably have a good idea of where you want to lead your story and how you want to develop your universe.
So regarding your second question, I wouldn't provide more details on the plot, but on that said universe. What about the political zones you talk about? How's the world functioning with all those time travel capacities? Maybe include part of those answers inside your synopsis to create a more unique feeling.

- Would this type of plot be well received?

Again it's quite typical for me, but I admit it's not my cup of tea (not too fond of action stuff, unless it's exceptionally well done) so I'm not the best judge. I do think one or two striking visuals would add a lot to your pitch, as it'd unfog the mystery a bit.

- For script

I'd vote for longer script, but that's just me picturing your story more as a big fantasy novel (or sci fi... or both) than anything else.
Hey! Thanks for your feedback! I do admit that the plot seems a bit typical on the front. hmm, I guess the best way to put it would be I'm writing it in a way such that people go in expecting a typical happy-go-lucky adventure and defeating mighty foes. But when the twist happens, the reader will feel surprised and engrossed. Or at least that's the plan. The plot will be a bit more focused on characters than action but I do understand where you're coming from.
I guess I wasnt very clear on the time travel aspect either. Without going into too much detail, that segment is planned for arc 2.
I agree as well on the visuals. I'm still looking for some artists right now since atm I dont think I can do my story justice with the skills I have right now.
Hmm, The original vision was a 30-40hr script, but realistically, I think that I can commit to a 10-15hr one and finish it. The reason I ask though is I was wondering whether or not having a longer script would be meaningful (contribute to worldbuilding/char growth? That wouldnt be possible in 10hrs)
Once again thanks for your input, I'll be trying my best to improve and I'm hoping that by the time I'm done, It will be a story that you enjoy!

arcdawn

#4 Post by arcdawn » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:31 am

updates! We have more people on the project :^)

arcdawn

#5 Post by arcdawn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 am

Updates! CH 1's first draft is complete!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:46 pm

arcdawn wrote:Dimensional Beasts (DBs): These are unknown life forms that began to show up and terrorize humanity.
Are they essentially animals which only exist to survive and reproduce? If they have human-level intelligence, can people communicate with them? Do they have motives which can be discerned?
arcdawn wrote:She ends up joining a group of heroes known as The Troupe on their quest to save the world...
Why do these people work together? Why are they (seemingly) the only people opposing the Dimensional Beasts?
arcdawn wrote:Ana - A carefree gunslinger girl who wants to fight the DBs. She is the only survivor of her hometown...
Can a person be carefree, but also the survivor of a traumatic event? I'm not sure. It might be possible. Show through your story how her personality works, and how she is dealing with her past.
arcdawn wrote:Updates! CH 1's first draft is complete!
I'm glad to know that this project is active.

arcdawn

#7 Post by arcdawn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:31 am

gekiganwing wrote:
arcdawn wrote:Dimensional Beasts (DBs): These are unknown life forms that began to show up and terrorize humanity.
Are they essentially animals which only exist to survive and reproduce? If they have human-level intelligence, can people communicate with them? Do they have motives which can be discerned?
arcdawn wrote:She ends up joining a group of heroes known as The Troupe on their quest to save the world...
Why do these people work together? Why are they (seemingly) the only people opposing the Dimensional Beasts?
arcdawn wrote:Ana - A carefree gunslinger girl who wants to fight the DBs. She is the only survivor of her hometown...
Can a person be carefree, but also the survivor of a traumatic event? I'm not sure. It might be possible. Show through your story how her personality works, and how she is dealing with her past.
arcdawn wrote:Updates! CH 1's first draft is complete!
I'm glad to know that this project is active.
Ah, thank you for your post! I appreciate your comments. I guess I haven't been descriptive enough of certain parts of the story. I will try to explain these parts and see if you have any more opinions on it! :)

DBs represent chaos in times of tension as well as sin (For lack of a better word). In the story, they are completely alien life forms with seemingly hive-mind like tendencies. (Acting independently for a common goal, which is to pillage and expand their territory) part of the mystery of the story is uncovering why these beasts showed up and what purpose they serve in the grand scheme of things. (The reveal is in the final chapter)

The group known as "The Troupe" are a group of "investigators" who are trying to figure out what is driving the DBs, information on if they can communicate or if they serve a greater purpose, and why/how they even came to earth in the first place. The information they are trying to seek will assist in humanity's rebuttle against these savage life-forms. The main character joins the troupe initially out of need, but eventually gets invested in their endeavor. The Troupe's members are all employees of their sponsor, but they have their own personal reasons for their investigation that get elaborated on throughout the story.

Ana's carefree nature is a facade that she puts on to draw attention away from her empty feelings. I do plan on elaborating it further throughout the course of the story.

I should probably update the description as well haha. Although these past few weeks have been nothing but busy!

arcdawn

#8 Post by arcdawn » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 am

updates: Backgrounds have begun production!

arcdawn

#9 Post by arcdawn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Updates! CH 2 is almost completely scripted!
At this rate we might get a draft of the final script by the end of summer.
However, I am in need of character designers now. If anyone with an anime (Ufotable/Production IG/KyoAni) style of art who is comfortable with drawing futuristic-ish art and mechanical stuff is available, please pm me or send me an email at supersmash233@gmail.com

arcdawn

#10 Post by arcdawn » Tue May 23, 2017 4:09 pm

updates! CH2 is completely scripted, CH 3 underway.
Obtained a sprite artist and monster sprite artist! Also working on a few of the OST tracks!

arcdawn

#11 Post by arcdawn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Updates! Ch 3 is under Review and Ch 4 is being scripted!
We have obtained a new editor and are working to produce the demo slated for the end of August!

Stay tuned for more news!

(Also if a mod could move this thread to WIP? That would be awesome)