Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB

#76 Post by Ran08 »

Currently not in a place where I can freely download stuff (working with sucky 3G at the moment huhu) but maaaan, I sure would love to play the demo right now! <3

Your art style is cute! It reminds me of old-style VNs that I used to love. Aaaah, nostalgia. Hahaha. Hmm, I think the coloring looks a little bit flat, though? I’m not an artist, but I think it could need a little bit of shading or texture or whatever it is that you call it. :D Nevertheless, it looks nice. Hahaha. Ayato is hooooot, yup, yup. My favorite guy is either him or Naozumi. While I like jerk-ish types in VNs (read: guys I’d never like in real life lol) I also like the good ol’ mysterious bookworm (in-game or out), like Naozumi.

And yay, I like secrets! I love it when I have to delve through a whole route just to find out what a certain character’s story is all about. It makes me keep wanting for more. =)

Ah, also, this is just a teeny tiny thing, but… the textbox… it’s simple, but so cute! <3

Anyway, good luck with this! :) Haha, and don’t worry, there’s no need to rush. It’s your first VN, so be sure to savor it. I swear, it’ll all be worth it, haha. There’s nothing better than releasing a game than you worked so hard on, after all!

Impulse
Regular
Projects: Tears of Glass [Romance VN, Supernatural, School, GxB]
Deviantart: mariscribbles

#77 Post by Impulse »

@Ran08

Thank you for the feedback! It's always nice to hear that people like what I do and are interested in my work. I know the colors look pretty flat and the shading isn't very good, but I'm not a very experienced or "good" anime artist. I usually only draw pencil sketches or paintings so this kind of art is new to me. If I knew how to do it I would definitely improve the shading, but sadly I don't have the skills at this point. I'm glad you still liked my art though. I know it's not perfect, but it's the best I can do so I'm really happy with it.

It makes me happy to hear you like the textbox as well! I did make a few different ones, but ultimately this one was the clear winner (I had my family and friends vote for their favorite).

I'll be sure to work hard on this VN and not rush it. Thank you for understanding and supporting me. It really means a lot :)
Current project (on hold):
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523
Demo for Tears of Glass - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38285

Impulse
Regular

#78 Post by Impulse »

Hello. I think it's time I broke the silence.

I'm really sorry for being inactive, and I don't really have an excuse for it. Yes, I've been very busy lately - enrolling in university and studying full time as I work part-time - but I've also lost some motivation for this VN. I still find myself thinking about it now and then, and coming up with new ideas for the plot and the characters, but I don't have the same spark that I used to. It makes me really sad, because I truly care for this game, as silly as it sounds, and I hope to finish it sometime in the future. However, I can't make any promises right now.

I started working on this game because I loved it, I was passionate about it, and I wanted to make something that people would enjoy. It's the feeling I want to associate with working on this game, and right now I can't. I can't find the motivation right now, even though I know it's there. I truly believe I will start working on it again, but not right now. Now I want to do other things. I still have my folder with all of the game assets, and I still have little sticky notes around my room reminding me of what I was working on and how much I have left to do. I still take notes while I'm on the train and a new idea springs to mind. I have not given up on this game, and I doubt I ever will, but right now I need a break - a longer one.

I will most likely not post anymore updates about the game. Maybe I'll make a new thread once it's close to finishing, or maybe I'll keep silent until it's done. I won't start any new projects until I finish this one though - that's for sure.

I'm sorry. I never meant to disappoint anyone, but maybe the next time you hear from me the news will be different. I don't expect anyone to wait for me to finish this game, or even decide. Just know that if and when it comes out, I will love it. I will have spent hours and hours on it and I will have fallen in love with the characters over and over again. I really hope you will be able to see that.

Thank you. I had a wonderful time here on lemmasoft. I learned so much and I even found some friends. I'm looking forward to coming back :)
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#79 Post by Zelan »

Heya, Impulse! ^_^ Thanks for the update. It's good to see you again!

I absolutely understand losing motivation for a project. Take all of the time that you need, for the game and just for yourself as well. And even if you're not posting updates, remember that I'm still supporting you (and some silent lurkers probably are as well).

Best of luck with everything that you do! c:

PuffBun
Regular
Deviantart: kasey-puff

#80 Post by PuffBun »

This looks sooo good!! :D There hasn't been an update in a while, I hope your still making it! ><

Impulse
Regular

#81 Post by Impulse »

@PuffBun
Hi there. I'm glad that you're exited for the game. I don't know if you saw the last post I made, but in it I explained that I needed to take a break from this project. I think this game was just a little too ambitious for a first project (I've written about 50 000 words so far and the writing is maybe 30 % done, but I also have a lot of other work like editing, drawing etc). The work just got a little too overwhelming after a while, and I lost motivation.

I don't want to give anyone false hope by setting a deadline or even promising that I'll finish it, but I'll let you know that I haven't given up on it. I'm working on it whenever I have time and motivation to, and today was one of those days. I wrote almost 5000 words today and spent hours editing and going through the script, so it was definitely a good one :). However, I will most likely not post many more updates unless you really want them. But then they might be weeks apart because right now this is not my top priority (school is). I hope you understand.

Celianna
Veteran

#82 Post by Celianna »

So I tried it out here's some of my thoughts!

The good:
Congratulations, this was a lot of work! Pat yourself on the back, you accomplished quite a bit already. Even if you'll drop the project, don't considering it a waste of time; you did well, and it was a lot of hard work. It's cute and a light read, which I like. I haven't noticed any spelling errors either, or maybe that's simply because the font is all bunched up together that it's hard to notice if my brain is simply filling in a missing letter or not. I liked Hiroki simply because he was being nice, and I'm sick of jackasses at the moment.

Anyways, because you said you're taking a break, and here in developer land that means "suspended until further notice", I'm not going to comment much anymore on the story. Instead, I want to help you with your art!

I know you said you draw with a mouse, but so do I, it's not an excuse :p

Anyways, check this image out for some simple advice.

Ah, another tip I'm going to give you. I really recommend buying a doll so that you can study anatomy. There's Body-kun for example. I recently purchased it myself, and I could draw something like this. Really helps out for CGs you want to draw. That is, if you want to improve your anatomy skills :)

Hang in there! We all suffer through long periods of time where we've lost our motivation to work on our game.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

Impulse
Regular

#83 Post by Impulse »

@Celianna
Thank you so much for the shading tips, it's a really big help. I feel like I've improved my art since I made these sprites, and I've also gotten a tablet so it's easier, but it's still a big struggle for me. Probably because I never bothered to shade when I was younger, and therefore it's still new to me. I've drawn faces all my life so it comes a lot more natural to me than shading and anatomy below the neck does. Which is why I'm really happy that you took notice and gave me some useful tips for improvement. It's a lot more helpful than just telling me I did something wrong without explaining why. :)

And trust me, I'm proud of what I've done ^^ When I first started losing motivation for this project I felt really guilty and bad about it. Like I just gave up. Now I've realized that it's okay to take it slow and not force yourself to work. Yes, I've probably spent over 200 hours working on this game, and it would really suck to leave it unfinished, but I still wouldn't call it a waste of time. From now on I don't want the pressure of finishing it to stop me from enjoying making this game, which is why I want to have fun with it and only work when it gives me happiness. And lately I've gotten a lot of happiness from working on it. Maybe it won't ever be finished, but damn it I'm gonna enjoy it!

Thank you for your kind words and honest critique. I really appreciate it :)

Letitia_L
Regular
Projects: Up until the end
IRC Nick: Letitia
Tumblr: letigame
Deviantart: LetitiaLambrechts
itch: https://letigame.itc

Re: Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB]

#84 Post by Letitia_L »

It's only now that I see your last update, I'm a little ashamed.

I understand that it's difficult to have the motivation and the time to work on your project ( I have the same issues with my own.)
Like you said, the most important thing is that you enjoy working on it, and if you need some hiatus time, it's not a big deal.
Be proud of what you've done, it's a great work!

I hope to hear from you ( and your project!) again, even if it isn't soon :D
Good luck with your future plans, I hope everything works out for you. :wink:
WIP project
Completed project