Raidaa no Asahi

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: Raidaa no Asahi [v1.0 released]

#61 Post by Jake »

Samu-kun wrote: The next game will just have the working title of "The SunRiders" now to avoid confusion with Raidaa no Asahi. (Besides, the Japanese in it's appearently wrong, I've been told. -_-;) I'm getting tired of always referring it to it with "my next game" or the "next Raidaa game." XD
So... is it going to follow on from the three episodes we've seen so far, or are those more like a prototype that you're going to work from?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#62 Post by Samu-kun »

Mm... I guess I better clarify that. :3

Well, originally Raidaa was supposed to be a single kinetic novel. The original 33 000 word long script for the entire game is indeed complete and is sitting in my hard drive right now. But then it turned out it was going to take too long to create a game of that length and I really needed a completed work to show to the community to atleast have some evidence that this was a real project and not just an idea, so I just cut up the script up into five volumes and decided to release them by installments. But once I finished volume 1, it turns out I've gained so much experience from it that I can improve pretty much every aspect of the game if I were to rewrite it from scratch, so now I've decided to stop working on volume 2 and instead opted to rewrite the script, the VN and the gameplay engines, do a major art overhaul, and release a game that's ultimately much higher in quality than Volume 1.

As stated before, the majority of the changes will attempt to address the issues of
-lowering the number of required CGs
-adding a branching storyline so that you can atleast pick which girl you end up with
(Was going to be a problem in the original Raidaa no Asahi script, since Asaga was the only romanceable girl. XD)
-fixing the VN engine so that it more resembles a real VN

In addition, there will be some major plot related changes. I won't get into too much detail since the new script hasn't even been written yet, but overall, I think that there will be a more serious and somewhat more darker tone in the new script. I'm not saying that the light hearted humor will be totally ripped out and summarily shot with its back against a fence... it's just that maybe there'll be more to the plot than just three girls having fun in space. XD

But to answer your original question, the events of volume 1 will indeed be rewritten in the new script. The events that happen here will be once again happen in The SunRiders, except under different circumstances with some of the details changed. So it is indeed a part of the story... It's just that there are going to be some modifications to make it fit more coherently in the new script.

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#63 Post by bloodywyvern »

I think it's very easy upon writing a script to have your skills increase mid way through, or at the end as you yourself become involved in the story. When you begin to grow attached to the characters things are much easier to write.

Striking a balance between seriousness and fan service is very important, because alone they make sub par games, but together it's anime heaven.

As for overhauling the game, I think it may be a good idea just to make sure things are smooth and polished for the next. While rewriting the entire script wouldn't have been my first suggestion, it is certainly a viable option. As a note to you mentioning volunteers to disappear...I think the higher you put your expectations, the less who volunteer but the better and more dedicated still do. So if you plan to overhaul the entire game to be of a much higher quality, who knows maybe you'll fill all the positions that people dropped from :D
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#64 Post by Samu-kun »

Look around, I think you'll probably be surprised at the quality and variety of music that's available under applicable CC licenses. I know we found enough tracks on places like Jamendo or CCMixter when looking for MorningStar BGM that we could have filled the game three or four times over without much searching effort.
So I finally got around to exploring those sites and I can say I'm pretty happy! Woaahh... Looks like finding music certainly won't be a problem anymore! ^_^

All the work's now totally focused on getting the new storyline written. The story's taken a rather... uhh... drastic change in setting, tone, and content. I have no idea what exactly is going on, but it looks good so far, so I'll keep rolling with the flow. I can't really guarntee what will come out will be anything like the source material, but I hope everyone will like it. XD But the story kind of took the exact opposite direction I was trying to send it. Instead of becoming more politically charged and serious, now it's even more light hearted and even more silly. I'm not even sure I can add violence to this any more. @_@ It's officially reached LUCKY STAR levels... -_-; I have no clue what I'm doing, what's going on, and how this happened, but the script is moe, cute and progressing very well (but in the exact opposite direction I was expecting it to progress ._.), so I'll leave the story in Asaga, Ikkari, and Chigara's hands and see what comes out of it! XD

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#65 Post by rocket »

Wah... I'm bummed I can't try this game! I even finally updated my install of VMware but no joy... similar problem to Mikey but complains about my graphics card.
DaFool wrote:To me...
* enthusiastic WIP response + enthusiastic Completed response = win
* nonenthusiastic WIP response + nonenthusiastic Completed response = nothing lost
* nonenthusiastic WIP response + enthusiastic Completed response = blowing everyone away, the best case scenario
* enthusiastic WIP response + nonenthusiastic Completed response = did not meet expectations, the worst case scenario.
That's why if you try not to make a WIP thread, then you would lose nothing.
Nothing perhaps but the motivation that comes form people cheering you on!

P.S. According to the mathematical definition fanservice = WIN so there's not much you can say to that. (^_-)

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#66 Post by Samu-kun »

Wah... I'm bummed I can't try this game! I even finally updated my install of VMware but no joy... similar problem to Mikey but complains about my graphics card.
Uguu... Does your graphics card happen to be the Prosavage chip...? And of course, this is a Windows system we're talking about right?

Eh... Maybe I should consider just using Ren'py from now on if more people seem to be having more problems and I decide not to have significant gameplay portions... >_>; Considering that my fanbase is going to be pretty small, two people not being able to play the game isn't really good. -_-;

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#67 Post by mikey »

Samu-kun wrote:Eh... Maybe I should consider just using Ren'py from now on if more people seem to be having more problems and I decide not to have significant gameplay portions... >_>; Considering that my fanbase is going to be pretty small, two people not being able to play the game isn't really good. -_-;
I should say that it does work on my wife's laptop, so it's possible for me to play it, but unfortunately my love plays Turtle Odyssey 2 and I can't really get to it (well, I could, but I really want to give it the time, not just whizz through it).

^_^ as for Ren'Py, you could always release the VN-only version with it, that would be great for people who can't play (don't like) shooters... I imagine that should be an easy port, but it's an extra effort that I won't blame you for not taking.

Jake
Support Hero

#68 Post by Jake »

Samu-kun wrote: And of course, this is a Windows system we're talking about right?
I could be wrong, but I thought Rocket was a Mac user; I expect he's using VMWare to run a Windows environment...
Samu-kun wrote: Maybe I should consider just using Ren'py from now on if more people seem to be having more problems and I decide not to have significant gameplay portions... >_>;
If you were to move to Ren'Py, could you not implement similar gameplay in renpygame? (I'll admit that I have no idea what development with GM is like, mind...)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#69 Post by chronoluminaire »

Samu-kun wrote:Eh... Maybe I should consider just using Ren'py from now on if more people seem to be having more problems and I decide not to have significant gameplay portions... >_>; Considering that my fanbase is going to be pretty small, two people not being able to play the game isn't really good. -_-;
Well, it'd be very good to get to take advantage of the savegame mechanism, platform-independence, interface standardisation, and everything else that Ren'Py offers, certainly. But it'd be rather a pity to lose out on the shooter gameplay, because that's probably the most unique thing about Raidaa so far. The girls are great, the setting is shaping up to have a lot of potential for politics and so on; but the SHMUP is the single most distinguishing factor, and it'd be a shame to miss out on the potential for more of that.

Of course, if you're planning a rewrite of the shooter engine anyway, then do it in PyGame and get the best of both worlds :D
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#70 Post by Samu-kun »

I could be wrong, but I thought Rocket was a Mac user; I expect he's using VMWare to run a Windows environment...
Ahh... If that is the case, then no wonder it doesn't work. Sorry, GM only works on Windows operating platforms, so there's not much I can do about it... >_<;
If you were to move to Ren'Py, could you not implement similar gameplay in renpygame? (I'll admit that I have no idea what development with GM is like, mind...)
Mm... I'm afraid I can't really give you an answer to that, for the exact opposite reason that I have no idea what development is like in renpygame.
Well, it'd be very good to get to take advantage of the savegame mechanism, platform-independence, interface standardisation, and everything else that Ren'Py offers, certainly. But it'd be rather a pity to lose out on the shooter gameplay, because that's probably the most unique thing about Raidaa so far. The girls are great, the setting is shaping up to have a lot of potential for politics and so on; but the SHMUP is the single most distinguishing factor, and it'd be a shame to miss out on the potential for more of that.
Yeah, I would definately have to agree with you there. Mmm... But obviously, since The SunRiders is a doujin WIP, all the plans for the game have a tendancy to change multiple times over the course of a single day where major content cuts, rewrites, and insertions are made not as a last resort, but as the only resort... So, cutting the gameplay or changing it significantly is always something that's considered. I'm already pretty positive at this point that the gameplay will not be a shmup this time around. Good bullet patterns take such a long time to create. XD

But having an already made VN engine is certainly a huge incentive to use Ren'py, as well the cross-platform compatability and the better user support from the community.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Raidaa no Asahi

#71 Post by monele »

After many days of hesitation (not feeling good enough to play a shooter), I finally tried it ^^.

- The girls are cute. I like Asaga the most for her cheerfulness and rather "out there" ways.
- The shooting was too difficult to me (moderate) and I switched to Visual Novel because I did want to know how the story went. I like Jake's idea of having less bullets with lower difficulty levels. I played a shooter doing that and it was really nice ^^
- Using a french keyboard, the Z key ends up where your W key is... far from the X, not easy to deal with ^^;... I don't know if I can change the keyboard layout just for this application... maybe.
- The story is very cliché but it works.
- Two of the boys have an obvious identical template, which is a bit strange.
- The fanservice is fun but try not to overdo it. The groping joke was pretty much dry at the end of ep 3.
- The turn based concept is interesting, but I'm not sure if it brings a lot to the game. You actually removed it for one of the bosses and I didn't notice until halfway through ^^;. One good point is that it allows you to build up your charge.. but if most enemies are going to have attacks during your turn, you might as well be able to attack too... thus making the turns useless.
- The one hit = lose charge is a bit harsh. Maybe have it go down a lot for each hit? This way, taking one or two hits would not be a complete loss. Well, if bullets are less numerous in easier difficulties, this is not needed. Otherwise, it would help (and the loss could be related to the difficulty level).
- I think it would be fun to have more weaker enemies. I really liked the first level on that point, but even the first enemies had too many HPs :)
- Oh and yeah, shorter fights, definitely :)

This said, it was enjoyable overall but I might be put off playing the second episode if the shooting stays the same :/.

Ureshii

#72 Post by Ureshii »

Umph... "Unexpected error" right after splashscreen. It's really pity 'cause the game is great, judging from the comments ^_^ If somebody had similar problem (on WinXP, DirectX 9 or newer) and solved it, could you please let me know?

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#73 Post by Samu-kun »

Can you tell me your system specifications? Sometimes GM gives the "unexpected error" message if your computer does not meet requirements. It could also mean a corrupted file, in which case I would advise you to redownload it.

Ureshii

#74 Post by Ureshii »

It's Pentium 4 (3GHz), 1GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS video card, Win XP Pro Service Pack 2 (Russian version). If more information is needed, please let me know.

Re-downloading hadn't helped, unfortunately :( It keeps on writing "Unexpected error occured when running the game" and then "Access violation..." on all three episodes.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#75 Post by Samu-kun »

Well, that should be more than enough to play the game. Since I'm no expert in the internal coding in GM, I really don't know what's wrong with it. Generally, if it's a problem with my coding in the game, you would atleast get a traceback of which object and script line the error occurs in. Seeing how that's not the case, I'm at a loss on what to do. Sorry about that. -_-;;

But I've finally decided to switch over to Ren'py now, so you'll be able to play future games from me! ^_^