Pastel Rain[GxB][Romance][School Life][Drama][Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

Pastel Rain[GxB][Romance][School Life][Drama][Free]

#1 Post by Sayumi101 »

Download:
https://sayumi101.itch.io/pastel-rain

Genres: Romance, School Life, Drama (?)
Emi is a serious, no nonsense art student who plunges herself into her work with everything she has. Stoic, closed off and guarded, she veers away from people as much as possible. The only thing that bothers her is how people say her artwork often "has no soul" to it" and are "beautiful, but not moving."
Very soon, she crosses paths with Kou, a cheerful and outgoing boy who says he has to "join the art club NO MATTER WHAT". His desperation sickens her, as he seems one of those aloof geniuses and she doesn't want her hard work to be outdone by someone so mindless.
But as time passes and they interact will things get better?
Will the mere presence of him not cause her to roll her eyes or scoff anymore?
Will she be able to quell her first instinct, which is to punch him in the gut every time he flashes that cocky grin?
Will she be able to infuse 'soul' in her artwork?
And why does he have such strangely coloured eyes?
Screenshots:

Credits:
Le awesome Silveth who cranked out super awesome cute chibis. A.k.a the CGs
Made with: Ren'Py
Background: Kimagure After School, sei-chan
Silhouettes: konnett
Music: Josh Woodward,Kavin Macleod, Eric Matyas
Sfx: Soundbible
Itens: Openclipart
Sprites, Writing, Coding, the weird CGs, Everything else: Yours truly.

Author's Note:
This was supposed to be last year's NoNoReNo project but a bunch of stuff happened and almost a year later on Valentine's Day here it is! *cries a river of tears as it is my very first project. Contains about 11,000 words with one major path, one game over and four achievements.
Please leave your thoughts below!~
Thank you for your time~ ^^
Last edited by Sayumi101 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Pastel Rain[GxB][Romance][School Life][Drama][Free]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Yooooo this is out!! :D I'm downloading it now! I've got a busy next few months ahead of me but hopefully I can squeeze this in. Congrats on your first release!

Cera L. Hendry
Regular
Completed: Ex Astris 1-9 & Rules They Abide By
Deviantart: cera-l-hendry

#3 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

Yaaaaay! Congrats!
I shall download it now. :3

Zelheim

#4 Post by Zelheim »

OOOMG IT'S SO GOOD <3 <3 <3

The game is short but it balances humor and angst beautifully! I adore Emi's character development. She is noticeably flawed, but her gradual change makes her quite endearing.

Sensei and Sakura are really cute haha :D So many shoujo moments, ah~

I'm looking forward to playing more of your games!

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#5 Post by Alcor »

Congrats on releasing your first game! I just played it because I'm procrastinating and I think it's super cute <3

I enjoyed Emi's character development, and Kou was such a sweetheart! I loved the dynamic between those two (I just really enjoy seeing sassy interactions between characters, I think). And I definitely felt for Emi's angst/backstory; it's not an issue I've really seen discussed in other VNs, and I thought it was an interesting plot point.

Also I really like the main menu of the GUI. I think it looks fantastic (and the button sfx are definitely great too)!

Kirlett
Regular

#6 Post by Kirlett »

Such a nice Valentine's Day present <3
I will play it later, thank you!

Sayumi101
Veteran

#7 Post by Sayumi101 »

Zelan wrote:Yooooo this is out!! :D I'm downloading it now! I've got a busy next few months ahead of me but hopefully I can squeeze this in. Congrats on your first release!
Thank youuu!!! For downloading and the well wishing!
You go ahead and tackle those busy months like a champ, now!!
Cera L. Hendry wrote:Yaaaaay! Congrats!
I shall download it now. :3
Thank you!!! ^.^)/ And double Yaaay.
~internal screaming~ Waaah, its Cera-san again!
^ I call this the Ash effect XD
Do let me know what you think whenever you get around to playing it! It's not that elaborate and maybe a bit weird...but uhm... yeah, lol >.<
Kirlett wrote:Such a nice Valentine's Day present <3
I will play it later, thank you!
Aw, that is so sweet of you, thanks.
Take your time and do let me know what you think!~
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

#8 Post by Sayumi101 »

Zelheim wrote:OOOMG IT'S SO GOOD <3 <3 <3
The game is short but it balances humor and angst beautifully! I adore Emi's character development. She is noticeably flawed, but her gradual change makes her quite endearing.
OMGGG, Really? Hearing/reading that makes me so happy!
Emi kept getting more and more Emo with almost each scene I wrote, so it was kind of a very huge concern going forward. Main reason it never made it for NaNoReNo release. The snarkiness and the weird comedy-ish(?)parts were added as a sort of counter balance. So it's nice to hear it had some effect!

ALCOR_etc wrote:Congrats on releasing your first game! I just played it because I'm procrastinating and I think it's super cute <3

I enjoyed Emi's character development, and Kou was such a sweetheart! I loved the dynamic between those two (I just really enjoy seeing sassy interactions between characters, I think). And I definitely felt for Emi's angst/backstory; it's not an issue I've really seen discussed in other VNs, and I thought it was an interesting plot point.

Also I really like the main menu of the GUI. I think it looks fantastic (and the button sfx are definitely great too)!
Haah the procrastination bug. Shoo it away, quick!.... But in this case, I'm glad for it, lol.
I'm glad you liked the back and forth between them! I wanted to make Kou more of an airhead, tbh but it just didn't seem to work out too well.
The backstory was the only concrete thing I had together when this project was initially started. It's pretty common over here, early on, for unrealistic expectations to crush you. Though thankfully, have never come across a parent who even mildly psycho yet. So all's good. <-- Stopping the ranting, now.
The button noise actually felt a little weird but was too lazy to find a more professional sounding one. -is shot-

-------------------------------------------------
Thank you both so much for playing and taking the time to review!!! ^0^)/// I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.
ImageImageImage

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#9 Post by bluebirdplays »

This looks incredibly adorable! I can't wait to check this out tonight! :D And of course, grats on your first release!

*Edit* Alright, this was incredibly endearing. I could relate a bunch to Emi and omgosh the
family feuding
brought a single tear to my eye. Oh, and Kou is ADORABLE. I absolutely loved his character :D Great work!

Sayumi101
Veteran

#10 Post by Sayumi101 »

bluebirdplays wrote:This looks incredibly adorable!
*Edit* Alright, this was incredibly endearing. I could relate a bunch to Emi and omgosh the
family feuding
brought a single tear to my eye. Oh, and Kou is ADORABLE. I absolutely loved his character :D Great work!
Woop!!
Thanks a bunch for playing! ^0^)/

I'm glad to hear that it appealed to you! (Even with how weirdly she was made, lol)
Also, Kou was aimed to be a Cinnamon roll from the start!! So mission sort of accomplished (?) :3

Thanks again.
ImageImageImage

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#11 Post by Rainbow Colors »

Ahaha, I can't believe I only got to playing this just now. You did a great job, I cried ;u;
because the mother's plain toxic >:( I'm glad Emi's dad noticed the pressure on Emi and did his part to help
Also: Kou and Emi are cute together >u>
another also: i like the character art :D

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#12 Post by bluebirdplays »

Hi again! Just thought I'd let you know that I wrote up a quick little article featuring Pastel Rain ^_^ Right Here!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#13 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Hehehe, it's out! I will have fun playing this~
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#14 Post by ebi-hime »

Aw, this was a cute little game u///u
Thank you for taking the time to create it!
Actually, I think I was aware of this since NaNoRenO last year, and I was wondering when it would be out... so I am glad I can play it now u///u

I think the story was handled pretty well. It short but paced pretty well with the character introductions, comedy, and then moving into drama. It also wraps itself up nicely (though Kou's backstory kind of comes out of nowhere haha. The rain effects were nice though).
I also really liked Emi's character. I just imagine her being like ':I' most of the time. I'm really fond of these deadpan/sarcastic female characters... especially when they have hidden cute sides >w<

There are a few technical things, though. The ctc icon is pretty huge, and takes up more space than it needs to. The font keeps randomly changing in the textbox, which can be a bit distracting, and the mother character is sometimes labelled as 'mother' and sometimes as '???'. Also, I think the centered text would look better if the quick menu was hidden.

Aside from that, this was a pretty nice VN. You did a good job! u///u
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Sayumi101
Veteran

#15 Post by Sayumi101 »

Rainbow Colors wrote:....
Thank you for playing and for your kind words!!! T^T~~
Really happy that you think my two little dorks fit well together! XD
But really, thank you so much for taking the time for this! I really can't express the joy it brings to read such an expressive review! T_T And I really think I overused the word 'really' here... But really, I can't even... XD
Also, Dawww, that Cinnamon Roll comment of mine... EXPOSED. >.<)/
ebi-hime wrote:....
No no no. Thank *you* for taking the time for this review.
The technical stuff you mentioned are spot on! And will definitely tweak them if I end up doing a revision!! Thank you for bringing all this to attention.(though I never really realized how big my ctc icon actually was until I stared right at it for a good few seconds >.< Ah the tricks of the mind.)
Aha, sarcastic characters FOREVER! I myself always...ALWAYS end up pursuing the deadpan delivering romance option first... So it was like, why not make the MC the sarcastic one instead, lol.
And I know, Kou's backstory cut was so sudden. It was ridiculous enough that even I couldn't help but comment on it in-game. His circumstances just seemed like it needed more explanation but for the life of me there didn't seem to be any smoother way of doing it... So went for the 'BAM! Surprise! Take this backstory that you never even thought existed or wanted' approach.
Thank you again for all your kind words!!! (>.<)/
ImageImageImage