misleading username [ critiques welcome! ]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: misleading username [ critiques welcome! ]

#31 Post by Zelan »

Wow, I really like that last one, even though it's only a sketch. The crossed legs can't have been easy to draw. ^_^ And I'm especially noticing the light and shadows in the other two! They all look great.

robovelociraptor
Regular
Deviantart: robovelociraptor

#32 Post by robovelociraptor »

Zelan wrote:Wow, I really like that last one, even though it's only a sketch. The crossed legs can't have been easy to draw. ^_^ And I'm especially noticing the light and shadows in the other two! They all look great.
Aww, thank you! The sketch did take quite a while.. I'm not looking forward to lining it. ;;
Lack of contrast has been a critique I've gotten quite often, so I tried really hard to make the shadows darker and the highlights lighter, I'm glad you like it! ^^

robovelociraptor
Regular

#33 Post by robovelociraptor »

Hah... I had to take a hiatus from the project because I was so busy with all of this stuff. ;; At least I've completed 3/5 of the drawings I absolutely needed to get done:
cold.png
rey.png
contest entry 07 v 2.png
Welp, the next two shouldn't be as time consuming! (I hope.)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Zelan »

I love the pale pink color in the first one! It offsets the dull colors in the rest of it really well.

The details in the hair and the flower bouquet are amazing in the second one, and it's just really pretty overall.

The lighting in the third piece is fantastic! Honestly, I'm astounded by how good of a handle you have on light and shadow.

robovelociraptor
Regular

#35 Post by robovelociraptor »

'Sup! It's been a while, sorry! Last month was probably one of the worst months I've had in a long time lol, so I didn't get much done. Anyway, here's some things I've completed and am working on! (I'll probably be posting again soon-ish, since I've been really working hard on stuff this month.) In the future (as in, after I finish my last owed piece, which is about 80% done) I will be making a shift to more realistic work and studies. I've still got plenty of time left before I'll probably have to stop drawing regularly, so I'd like to improve as much as I can in that time.

--
DONE
contest entry
contest entry
messing w/ color. picta jarta i won on DA
messing w/ color. picta jarta i won on DA
my ocs simone and daedra!!
my ocs simone and daedra!!
random sketch of simone
random sketch of simone
--
WIP
simone at the beach~ ^^
simone at the beach~ ^^
swimsuit design (not mine) - goo.gl/1KZLq0

(saving the rest of my wips for my next post lolol)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#36 Post by Zelan »

I really like Simone and Daedra! c: Is Daedra half-person, half-snake? Are they dating or just really close friends?

robovelociraptor
Regular

#37 Post by robovelociraptor »

Zelan wrote:I really like Simone and Daedra! c: Is Daedra half-person, half-snake? Are they dating or just really close friends?
I'm glad you like them!! ^^

Yep, Daedra's a naga (I think that's what they're called, at least lol) and they're dating! :mrgreen: I'll definitely be making more drawings with them~ (I want to draw them in cute outfits!!) Maybe I'll even write up some poorly-written story or something of them.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#38 Post by Zelan »

robovelociraptor wrote:
Zelan wrote:I really like Simone and Daedra! c: Is Daedra half-person, half-snake? Are they dating or just really close friends?
I'm glad you like them!! ^^

Yep, Daedra's a naga (I think that's what they're called, at least lol) and they're dating! :mrgreen: I'll definitely be making more drawings with them~ (I want to draw them in cute outfits!!) Maybe I'll even write up some poorly-written story or something of them.
I think naga's right, yeah. ^_^ I'd love to see more drawings of them! Cute outfits are always a good thing.

robovelociraptor
Regular

#39 Post by robovelociraptor »

Back again, this time with all my wips... there's a lot ahah.. ^^;

But first! That contest prize I was working on:
prize 02.png
I'm proud of the coloring on the character, but that's about it honestly. >>
I started this back in March (?) and I just got back on it again recently.  There's still a lot to fix, as you can see.
I started this back in March (?) and I just got back on it again recently. There's still a lot to fix, as you can see.
May or may not be a sprite with 3 pose variations and 2-3 arm positions for each.
May or may not be a sprite with 3 pose variations and 2-3 arm positions for each.
my son
my son
Fanart of CHARIKO's characters, Zucca and Rancha.
Fanart of CHARIKO's characters, Zucca and Rancha.
character sheet wip 2.png
character sheet wip 3.PNG
wip 223493.png

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Zelan »

Ha, you're like me. Working on way too many different things at once. cx

The contest prize looks awesome! I can't help but notice the lighting again, you paid great attention to those shadows. And you're right to be proud of the coloring, it's spot on. c:

And that one of Simone in the swimsuit is looking fantastic. You've done a great job on the shading. ^_^

robovelociraptor
Regular

#41 Post by robovelociraptor »

Zelan wrote:Ha, you're like me. Working on way too many different things at once. cx

The contest prize looks awesome! I can't help but notice the lighting again, you paid great attention to those shadows. And you're right to be proud of the coloring, it's spot on. c:

And that one of Simone in the swimsuit is looking fantastic. You've done a great job on the shading. ^_^
Yes!! It's a painful process lol. I generally start with one piece and then I get stuck on it (whether that be because of lack of skill, or boredom), so I start working on something else... which eventually leads up to this. Probably the most [active] WIPs I've ever had. Though, this past year has also probably been the most I've ever drawn. There's still a lot I want to get around to doing, but I don't really know if I have the motivation haha.

Thank you so much!! I'm really happy to hear you like it. I redrew and recolored her like 4 times, so I'm glad it paid off! xD

Thank you~ I'm really excited to finish it, but I know it's probably going to end up taking me forever.. ;;

Drew
Regular
Projects: SW-SEG
Tumblr: makefox
Deviantart: makefox

#42 Post by Drew »

Hi robovelociraptor,
I cannot offer much advice on the character art but I might have some thoughts for the images with a lot of background in if you're interested. Do you mind if I do a paint-over/mark-up?

Cheers
Peace!

My art blog: http://makefox.tumblr.com/

robovelociraptor
Regular

#43 Post by robovelociraptor »

Drew wrote:Hi robovelociraptor,
I cannot offer much advice on the character art but I might have some thoughts for the images with a lot of background in if you're interested. Do you mind if I do a paint-over/mark-up?

Cheers
Hey, sorry for the late reply! You're free to do so! ^^

Drew
Regular
Projects: SW-SEG
Tumblr: makefox
Deviantart: makefox

#44 Post by Drew »

robovelociraptor wrote: Hey, sorry for the late reply! You're free to do so! ^^
No worries, I've been busy as was.

I've gone some quick mark-ups with notes on the drawing, I hope they make sense and are helpful. If you have questions, please let me know. I based my mark-ups around the characters, taking it that the figures were correct in the scene.

I've done my mark-ups around a basic single point perspective, but there's not much to throw that out in this image. Also, I'm no Da Vinci, but I think everything I'm telling you is good - any errors, my apologies.

Some of my comments would change if the scene was on a hill, as with the road not disappearing to nothing at the horizon, ie if it is the visible horizon line, though there would still be perspective issues.
robovelociraptor_20170516.jpg

It wasn't very clear how I'd project back to redraw the house, so I made a quick animation about a simplified scene.
EDIT: Mmm - the animation doesn't play well on-line, let me see why.
EDIT-2: Won't play through lemma but you can see it on my tumblr: http://makefox.tumblr.com/post/16073870 ... i-tutorial
Peace!

My art blog: http://makefox.tumblr.com/

robovelociraptor
Regular

#45 Post by robovelociraptor »

Thank you so much for the markup and the gif you made!! It's very helpful!!

It is actually on a hill, so how much does that change it from the markup you did? Should I make the horizon more curved to reflect this, too? Does the vanishing point always have to be in the very center?

Also, I tried to fix the perspective for the car, did I do it right? (note that the car is sorta turned, with the back end being closer to the viewer)
1298312.png
Thanks again, and sorry for so many questions... I know it's just an excuse, but I didn't really start working with backgrounds at all until around a year ago. >>