Why are you making your current visual novel?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#46 Post by Aviala »

I want to make socially conscious, ethical games that help people understand other people's perspectives. That's why I'm making Your Royal Gayness - it's basically a game to help people understand and emphatize with sexual minorities. I don't want it to be a boring "learning game" tho - so story and gameplay are high priorities too. I think games can be a very powerful tool to let people experience a different point of view.

Like many people here, I also have a powerful drive to create.

RedOwl
Regular
Projects: < /reality >
Tumblr: realityvn

#47 Post by RedOwl »

Hmm... why am I making my current visual novel, specifically? There are many ways to answer this.

- Because I'm a game developer, but the story for this game idea got out of hand, and needed a text-heavy format to be told properly.
- Because I've been a writer my entire life.
- Because I've been an artist for a while, too.
- Because I have a degree in philosophy and have been waiting years to actually put it to use in my work.
- Because I'm interested in how Virtual Reality will affect the future.
- Because I'm a fantasy nerd.
- Because I love games with strong stories and choices that matter.
- Because I think media (VNs, games, etc) can have an important and/or intellectually-stimulating impact on people's lives.
- Because one of the main characters is a magical cat.

...I could go on. :P
chlorofinite wrote:Because I like my OCs.
Yup. >.< This too, now that I've been working on the project for quite a while.
~Please give me Honest Critique!~

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#48 Post by bluebirdplays »

Sometimes I have stories in my head that I know I haven't seen elsewhere and I had a ton of fun taking part in a game jam making my own visual novel in 30 days. That was cool but I've never been able to make another since and I'm hoping that this current story idea turns out the way I imagine it to be.

Plus, I've always toyed with the idea of making a story about animals versus people, and since I'm a bird fanatic, I thought I'd start with a little birdy story that folks could probably find themselves relating to.

artyrambles
Tumblr: artyrambles

#49 Post by artyrambles »

...Is "out of spite" an appropriate response to this question?

I mean, obviously I'm also passionate about writing and enjoy creating things, but spite definitely plays a role here.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#50 Post by wyverngem »

artyrambles wrote:...Is "out of spite" an appropriate response to this question?
Only raises more to be honest.

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran
Projects: Supersize My Heart!
Deviantart: JeremyRawn

#51 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

artyrambles wrote:...Is "out of spite" an appropriate response to this question?
Hah-hah, I know the feeling. Wanting to silence the doubters was a motivation for me, too, but only at first. Unfortunately, stuff like that can't sustain me.

I'm making my current one because I have fun doing it and I think people are going to have fun playing it. My VN began as a book I wrote ten years ago, and I've been reworking it on and off ever since. I feel like I've grown up with these characters, and it's so cool to see them grow up right along with me, changing and deepening. I mean, I've known these guys since I was twelve. Other people should probably get to know them, too - they're pretty dope.
Hey, I'm making a game about kissing cute fast food mascots! Check it out here right here.

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#52 Post by pyopyon »

MORE BROWN PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!!

That's pretty much... it.

I want to play more games with brown people. I want to play more games with brown people in fantasy games especially. There are some, but not enough to align with my interests. I finally have a medium where I could actually do something about the lack of diversity so... I'm taking a step in that direction!

Maybe, eventually, I'll see more varied palettes and cultural backgrounds in more games in a variety of genres but if not, it's cool because I'll keep making the kinds of games I want to see more of.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

banannasquid
Completed: Stalker and Yandere
Projects: Stalker and Yandere
Tumblr: banannasquid
Deviantart: infinitytentacle

#53 Post by banannasquid »

I'm not really sure why to be honest. I thought it would be fun to work with a bunch of people to make a game, but it hasnt worked out. Every group I join seems to fall apart in the beginning stages and I cant even make my first game, let alone many. I guess the more dedicated people would be in the paid projects area, but my drawings are trash and theyre not worth paying for. Idk.. maybe I'm just not meeting with the right people or something
--

Finished projects:

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#54 Post by Sonomi »

pyopyon wrote:MORE BROWN PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!!

That's pretty much... it.

I want to play more games with brown people. I want to play more games with brown people in fantasy games especially. There are some, but not enough to align with my interests. I finally have a medium where I could actually do something about the lack of diversity so... I'm taking a step in that direction!

Maybe, eventually, I'll see more varied palettes and cultural backgrounds in more games in a variety of genres but if not, it's cool because I'll keep making the kinds of games I want to see more of.
It's not a visual novel, but I like the fact that Pokemon has been becoming progressively more diverse in that regard. Pokemon Black/White was based on New York, and the creators at some point mentioned that they liked the diversity there and wanted to put that in the game (if I remember that right! ). The team took a trip to Hawaii before embarking on Sun/Moon, which is hopeful at the very least. There aren't a lot of examples out there, but you're right about being the change you wish to see. I'll do my best to achieve that goal too. :)
banannasquid wrote:I'm not really sure why to be honest. I thought it would be fun to work with a bunch of people to make a game, but it hasnt worked out. Every group I join seems to fall apart in the beginning stages and I cant even make my first game, let alone many. I guess the more dedicated people would be in the paid projects area, but my drawings are trash and theyre not worth paying for. Idk.. maybe I'm just not meeting with the right people or something
Don't give up, because you'll eventually find that team of people who are as passionate and driven as you are. I got my start in indie game development by working with a few teams that never released a game in the end. It's hard to keep your motivation when you feel like the only one putting forth a certain level of effort, but I kept trying. 4 teams later, I eventually found a group that did finish a game. The game wasn't large, but it felt like a major accomplishment all the same. It's absolutely about finding the right people.

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#55 Post by Evy »

... I just really frickin love mermaids, ok

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#56 Post by potouto »

I don't know a thing, my dude (งツ)ว Which one are you talking about?

yeah well | commission | website

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#57 Post by Sonomi »

potouto wrote:I don't know a thing, my dude (งツ)ว Which one are you talking about?
The project you are working on right now. :)

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#58 Post by potouto »

That's the problem (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I work on too many projects at one time I don't even know why I'm still working on them

yeah well | commission | website

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#59 Post by Donmai »

I guess "I'm making it for NaNoRenO" will be the main answer for the next 30 days.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#60 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I am way too attached to my friend's OCs
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!