AOGSR [NaNo17][IntRenAiMo][GxB/G][Romance/Fantasy]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

AOGSR [NaNo17][IntRenAiMo][GxB/G][Romance/Fantasy]

#1 Post by Mama J »

Synopsis
MC, an intelligent college girl intent on becoming a climatologist, travels to the North Pole as an intern with her moms — Karen (an oceanographer) and Tracey (a biogeochemist). One day, after deciding to take a small break from analyzing data, MC goes outside just as soon as a blizzard hits. No way to see where she's going, she ends up getting lost and slipping on ice, injuring her head. Luckily, she's saved and looked after by none other than... Santa's reindeer?!
Characters
MC is a 23 year old, budding scientist. She's smart, level-headed, and tough. Her parents are both professors and scientists: Karen is an oceanographer and Tracey is a biogeochemist.
MC is an intern, studying Earth and Environmental Sciences. She wants to be a climatologist and is currently working on getting her PhD in climatology at University of Millstone (where her moms also work as professors).
You have Dasher, and Dancer, and Prancer, and Vixen. Comet, and Cupid, and Donder, and Blitzen. And that at the end is Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer.
Mom on the left: Tracy — logical, introvert, uptight. Tracy is a biogeochemist and is also a science professor at her daughter's school, University of Millstone.
She was raised in a traditional Christian and military family, which is why she can be a bit intense sometimes. When her family disowned her for being gay, Tracy made it a goal to be an advocate in the LGBTQ+ community.
Mom on the right: Karen — passionate, daydreamer, extrovert. Karen is an oceanographer and a science professor at her daughter's school, University of Millstone.
She had a strange but magical experience as a child, which is what led to her being a believer in the impossible.
Features
-Free to play
-10k+ words (for the demo)
-9 romanceable characters
-Option to mute voices
-18 endings
-PG-13
-CG Gallery
Progress
Writing: 30%
Character Art: 100%
Backgrounds: 30%
Programming: 10%
GUI: In progress
Team
Story & Writing: Mama J, gamerbum, pigionsdeliver, Laera-chan
Character Sprites: Zino
Backgrounds: King-sama
Logo: gamerbum
GUI Design: sasquatchii
Programming: gamerbum
Music: free assets
Questions
1. Your thoughts or comments about the story premise?
2. Who is your favorite character? Least favorite?
3. Any other comments or questions?
Last edited by Mama J on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Mama J
Regular

Re: AOGSR [NaNo17][IntRenAiMo][GxB/G][Romance/Fantasy]

#2 Post by Mama J »

Reindeer Descriptions

Dasher
Personality: incredible speed and stamina; fastest reindeer
Bio: An original member of the "Magnificent Eight" which made their first Christmas Eve flight nearly 2,000 years ago. Dasher is known for his short bursts of speed and his energy, which is mainly attributed to crisp carrots and of course grazing the grass outside of the Reindeer stable complex near the North Pole.

Dancer
Personality: graceful; elegant; nimble; athletic; extrovert
Bio: Displays a certain flair and elegance as one of Santa's flying reindeer. Dancer has the grace of a gazelle, but don't tell her that, she doesn't really care for gazelles that much. A very athletic reindeer, she makes the job look much easier than it is. She is deceptively fast and has great quickness, which helps Santa and his sleigh avoid obstacles in the Christmas Eve sky each year.

Prancer
Personality: proud; strong; aims to please; majestic; confident but not arrogant; team player
Bio: The most majestic of all the reindeer, Prancer is a high-stepping member of Santa's team. Prancer's high leg kicks and perfect posture are a thing of beauty to watch as the deer glides through the night sky, proudly towing the precious Christmas cargo. Prancer displays a tremendous amount of confidence, but is not arrogant in any way.

Vixen
Personality: friendly; funny; flirty; playful
Bio: Vixen is not one of the best-known of Santa's "Magnificent Eight" but this reindeer has been a consistent performer throughout its Christmas career. An absolute flirt when not on the job, Vixen has great strength and stamina and never seems to get tired, even when weather conditions are not at their best.

Comet
Personality: serious; likes peace/quiet; most powerful; stubborn; strong-willed
Bio: Comet has quite a personality. This reindeer can sometimes be rather stubborn, but Comet also has a very strong will, which aids this member of Santa's team when the going gets tough. Comet displays unique leadership ability and is focused on what has to be done.

Cupid
Personality: loving; fun-loving; sweet; good-natured; shy
Bio: Cupid is a very loving reindeer, which is how this animal got its name. A very good running companion for Comet, Cupid has pulled Santa's sleigh for a very long time right beside Comet in Santa's "lineup" of reindeer. Cupid sometimes requires a little extra hug or grooming, but this reindeer is always ready to pull the load on Christmas eve.

Donder
Personality: proud; very confident/kind of cocky; focused
Bio: Donder's name sometimes appears as Donner in books and writings about Santa Claus, the North Pole and his team of reindeer. Donder is a very proud animal that certainly is not cocky, but very confident in his abilities. Donder is recognized as one of the strongest members of Santa's team.

Blitzen
Personality: temperamental; aggressive; determined; impulsive; brash
Bio: One of the most aggressive members of Santa's team, Blitzen never backs down from a challenge. This reindeer is not the strongest or fastest member of the team, but no reindeer has more determination or savvy than Blitzen, who annually wins several events at the Reindeer Games.

Rudolph
Personality: timid; youngest; looks up to Dasher; leads the team in blizzards
Bio: Widely regarded as the "most famous reindeer of all." He is the youngest member of the group, making his first Christmas Eve run in the great snow storm of 63...that's 1863. If you look closely, you can see in his photo that the end of his nose is indeed red. At night and in bad weather, it lights the sky and guides Santa's sleigh.
Last edited by Mama J on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#3 Post by Laera-chan »

Very excited to work on this! Can't wait to see what it comes out like!

Mama J
Regular

#4 Post by Mama J »

Some BGs by the one and only, King-sama!
Cottage bedroom
Cottage outside
Research building

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

Ohhh, goodness, the moms are so cute! ^_^ It makes me so happy not only that you included parents, but that you included gay parents. I think the only other VN that I've seen that in was don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story, but you only really get to see one mom.

1. Your thoughts or comments about the story premise?: It's great! I'm in need of a little Christmas cheer, actually.
2. Who is your favorite character? Least favorite?: In terms of appearance, I like Dancer, Comet, and Donder. In terms of personality, I like Vixen, Comet, Cupid, and Blitzen. So I guess that makes Comet my favorite overall? (Now that I think about it, the glasses should have been a dead giveaway for me.)
3. Any other comments or questions?: You've got a great team!! There's you, of course, Mama J, you're awesome. I've worked with gamerbum before, she's awesome too. Zino and King-sama both have fantastic art (your backgrounds have improved since that contest, King-sama!). And I see sasquatchii's name around quite a lot. I look forward to seeing what you guys can produce!

Mama J
Regular

#6 Post by Mama J »

Ohhh, goodness, the moms are so cute! ^_^ It makes me so happy not only that you included parents, but that you included gay parents. I think the only other VN that I've seen that in was don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story, but you only really get to see one mom.
I'm super glad you like the two moms ^^ We decided on that when we were brainstorming ways on how to differentiate this VN from others, and remembered how you really don't see a lot of games that include the parents, let alone gay ones.
1. Your thoughts or comments about the story premise?: It's great! I'm in need of a little Christmas cheer, actually.
Don't we all? :)
2. Who is your favorite character? Least favorite?: In terms of appearance, I like Dancer, Comet, and Donder. In terms of personality, I like Vixen, Comet, Cupid, and Blitzen. So I guess that makes Comet my favorite overall? (Now that I think about it, the glasses should have been a dead giveaway for me.)
Comet's my personal favorite, too. Mostly because he has a tsundere-vibe, and he is rocking that beige suit! The red glasses are a great thing about him, too ;)
3. Any other comments or questions?: You've got a great team!! There's you, of course, Mama J, you're awesome. I've worked with gamerbum before, she's awesome too. Zino and King-sama both have fantastic art (your backgrounds have improved since that contest, King-sama!). And I see sasquatchii's name around quite a lot. I look forward to seeing what you guys can produce!
Aaa, thank you ^^; And, I agree! Everyone is doing such an amazing job, I couldn't be prouder :D Hopefully, we don't disappoint! Thanks for the feedback <3

nooroodle
Deviantart: nooroodle
itch: nooroodle

#7 Post by nooroodle »

omgggggg

(the background and character designs are legit tho holy jesus)

I just want to know how you guys came up with this concept x'D

Mama J
Regular

#8 Post by Mama J »

nooroodle wrote:omgggggg

(the background and character designs are legit tho holy jesus)

I just want to know how you guys came up with this concept x'D
Aren't they? Zino and King-sama are amazing :D

And, uh-oh, that's the million dollar question right there xD Tbh, it was a totally random idea that sprouted out of our heads. I only remember that Laera came up with the bare bones of it (a game where you can romance Santa's reindeer) a lonnnng time ago, almost a year(?) But the team only really expanded on it, and started to fill out the meat of the story, a month ago. It was one of those moments where you're brainstorming — trying to think of an idea that's original and hasn't been done before — and this totally rando thing happens! :lol:

nooroodle
Deviantart: nooroodle
itch: nooroodle

#9 Post by nooroodle »

Mama J wrote:
It was one of those moments where you're brainstorming — trying to think of an idea that's original and hasn't been done before — and this totally rando thing happens! :lol:
Well...I don't think anyone will contest you on that lolol

But I'm legit curious now, can't wait to see the finished project!

Mama J
Regular

#10 Post by Mama J »

Hi, guys, just sliding in to drop these updates off ;)

Some faceless mom sprites with unfinished coloring by Zino
"OH MY LORDY THE MOMS ARE SO CUTE! i just want to spoon them gently at the same time" -Sasquatchii 2017 :lol:

Also, we've reached around 6k words for the writing. Everything's turning out smoothly!

Last thing: we're looking for voice actors, so if you're interested in auditioning for a role, head on over here and try out for whichever character you're interested in!

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#11 Post by Alcor »

This looks super cute! The character cast is huuuuuuge and the number and variety of available love interests is awesome.

It sounds cute! To be honest, I don't know about Santa's reindeer well enough to even remember all their names, but I'm sure I will after playing this :D

I love both the moms! It's so refreshing to see the parents in an otome game, and it's so nice that they're so cute interesting as well.
Of the love interests, my favorite is probably Donder. I'm adoring the smirk he has in the sprites you posted. I'm also very interested in Comet; he just looks adorable. Well, actually, everyone looks adorable.

Good luck! :D

Mama J
Regular

#12 Post by Mama J »

ALCOR_etc wrote:This looks super cute! The character cast is huuuuuuge and the number and variety of available love interests is awesome.

It sounds cute! To be honest, I don't know about Santa's reindeer well enough to even remember all their names, but I'm sure I will after playing this :D

I love both the moms! It's so refreshing to see the parents in an otome game, and it's so nice that they're so cute interesting as well.
Of the love interests, my favorite is probably Donder. I'm adoring the smirk he has in the sprites you posted. I'm also very interested in Comet; he just looks adorable. Well, actually, everyone looks adorable.

Good luck! :D
Aaaa, thank you! I'm so glad you find the project interesting :D
And it gives all of us warm feelings that both the moms are getting such positive feedback.
Donder, huh? I hope you like how we've portrayed him once the game is out; I admit, he can be very... forward x'D But, I agree, everyone turned out so well, very thanks to Zino.
Thank you so much!

---Update---
Finished mom sprites! As of now, all of the sprites needed for the game are finito :D

We've also finished writing Chapter 2, and moving on to Chapter 3 ^^ Word count so far is 9,400 give or take.

Sasquatchii is working hard on the GUI! There's not much to show, unless you're interested in seeing some concept sketches, haha. If you are, though, let me know xP

Mama J
Regular

#13 Post by Mama J »

*pops in*

Hi, again. Just dropping in to show the first draft of the GUI kit by sasquatchii; enjoy :D

ok, bye *pops out*

buxton1990

#14 Post by buxton1990 »

This looks and sounds amazing. loving all the sprites. Good Luck

Mama J
Regular

#15 Post by Mama J »

buxton1990 wrote:This looks and sounds amazing. loving all the sprites. Good Luck
Thank you! :D
Small sneak peek of some script stuff that yours truly ended up writing:

Prancer slides a cup of something towards me and I suspiciously inspect the mysterious liquid.
MC: What is it?
Prancer and Dasher: Reindeer piss.
I make a disgusted face that makes both of them double over in laughing fits.
MC: Har, har, very funny.
Even though I know they were joking, that doesn’t mean that I’m just going to throw caution to the wind. I take my time, sipping the drink carefully while eyeing both reindeer at the same time.
Dasher: Relax. It’s just hot cocoa.
MC: Indeed it is.
Dasher takes a long drink from his cup. When he puts it down, I snort at the froth moustache that lingers above his lips.
Dasher: What?
MC: You got a little something on your face.
Dasher: Where?
MC: Here, let me get it for you. *slurp slurp*
(ok, this is a troll, sorry, I just-)

Anywho! Actual update stuff:

-Textbox mock-ups by the very talented Sasquatchii

-We've written over 14k words! The estimate day that the common route will be finished is this Wednesday (:
-Zino is working on some CGs that we want to incorporate in the CR, so more on that soon.
-We still need a bunch of auditions, so if you're a voice actor, or if you're a person who knows a voice actor, or a person who knows a person who knows a voic— you know what I mean, please send them our way! Auditions are being held at Casting Call Club.
*backflips away*