KIGAEA Tactics [RPG][4x][In Development]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

KIGAEA Tactics [RPG][4x][In Development]

#1 Post by SypherZent »

---
Update - July 17, 2018

KIGAEA Tactics is currently postponed pending capital.
Check my other works in progress, if interested in my personal developments.
By supporting my other developments, I'll be able to continue (afford) this one much sooner!

https://sypherzent.itch.io/

Thank you.

---

Hello all! I'd like to present my current project in Ren'Py.

The realm of KIGAEA is based on the same Universe as my book, titled: KIGAEA: Effervescence of Reality.

KIGAEA Tactics
All images are from the in-game developer console.

Genres

Single Player
Squad Management
Tactical RPG
4x

Synopsis

Magic has been reborn in a world that had forgotten its very existence.
KIGAEA Tactics revolves around your personal adventures within this new realm.
KIGAEA Tactics is based on the lore of KIGAEA: Effervescence of Reality

Gameplay

Travel system similar to FFT, with a lot more focus on the 4x aspect of the World Map.
The world will be living, as all 4x Universes, with Factions interacting within varying regions.

The first map is fully hand crafted. Characters properly travel down hand crafted paths.
More maps will come in the future.

Squad Management will remain true to the essence of the original Final Fantasy Tactics, which has greatly inspired this game.

Note: This screen will drastically change, prior to the game's early distribution release.

The world of KIGAEA is also inspired by the Suikoden series (especially Suikoden 2!).

There will be other elements of gameplay such as 1v1 duels (bar fights, event fights, cooking challenges, etc.), and planning for small scale wars.
The world map also has an encounter system.

Custom Tile Engine

KIGAEA Tactics runs on a custom Tile Engine.

This is an entirely new tile engine, developed from scratch.
I have developed this using Ren'Py's Spritesheet Manager and UDD, as well as PyGame.

Stress Test has worked with...roughly 2 seconds lag using 10,000 map tiles. 5 seconds with 35,000.
With 5000 map tiles there is no lag on my relatively slow and outdated PC.
System is capable of procedurally generated maps, to be explored in the (very) long term.

Project Details

Begin Date: January 2nd, 2017
Currently working on Demo!
Early Distribution, Tentative Release Date: Winter 2018

-----

Thanks for checking out the WiP for KIGAEA Tactics.
If you would like to see the development progress, check the posts in this thread.

Feel free to ask any questions related to the development!
Also, feel free to leave a comment, suggestion, or simply ask a question about the game concept. ^^
Last edited by SypherZent on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 61 times in total.

SypherZent
Veteran

Re: KIGAEA Tactics [RPG][4x][In Development]

#2 Post by SypherZent »

Latest Development Video - 12/30/2017

Last edited by SypherZent on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 152 times in total.
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

SypherZent wrote:I do not think a demo is required for Kickstarter.
If it is not, then I doubt there will be a demo of actual gameplay this early into the development.
For this reason, I will not be marketing the crowdfunding campaign on these forums due to the demo policy.
Technically, a demo isn't required. But realistically, it is "required" if you are hoping to get funded. You have a far lower chance of people backing your project if there's no demo, because otherwise there is no way to know whether the developer has the technical know-how to follow through on their promises. It isn't a very high bar to pass for even an amateur developer so it may also have people wondering whether the person can handle the stress of game development.

Preferably a Kickstarter should have a "vertical slice" demo. That is to say, a demo that is almost totally representative of the final game in artwork, music and gameplay, even if it's only a 5-10 minute segment.

SypherZent
Veteran

#4 Post by SypherZent »

Thanks for the feedback, SundownKid. I'm starting a video-based developer blog for that purpose, as people will be able to see all of the gameplay as well as appreciate the music. Since it is a 4x game, without Events programmed, and without full AI Logic, it would not be much of a demo.

I would prefer not to release something representative that leaves people with the impression that the game will be shallow in content, as there will be new gameplay mechanics unlocking beyond 100 hours gameplay, such as Mount and Blade, where the Political system is quite late into the game, and it is hard to transmit that potential with a shallow demo release. Space Pirates and Zombies 2 is also a good comparison to the genre, as is Halcyon 6.

Ultimately, it needs to be said that I'm developing this game, more for myself, than for any market, so even if the Kickstarter does not succeed, I still need something to play. Everyone who wants Tactics games, already knows what to expect from this genre. It is something that nobody has delivered in 20 years, since the original FFT.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

It looks pretty nice so far! I haven't played too many tactical RPGs, but hopefully I can get the hang of it when this game comes out.

My one thing to note would be that I agree with what SundownKid said about a demo being pretty important for a Kickstarter, but your videos might work just fine. Personally, I'd always rather that a project has a demo that I can actually play, but seeing that you know what you're doing in regards to programming and such is a pretty close second. c:

SypherZent
Veteran

#6 Post by SypherZent »

Thanks Zelan! I would honestly prefer not to deviate too from in order to prepare a demo, which also come with its own cons such as issues on varying operating systems. Taking the time to test the demo, and prepare something that has a "playable" format (like a beginning, tutorial, and an actual ending presentation). It could detract from development time, as I am working alone on the programming and I can't simply outsource that aspect while having others help with the continual development.

However, if I am able to progress without many obstacles and get to the point where it is all content creation, then I would gladly put together a small adventure within the starting region, something to showcase the different aspects of gameplay mechanics like visiting a town and gearing a crew, and perhaps examples of a normal battle and a 1v1 battle, like a bar fight. Most of it is event scenes that will be "moddable" in a sense. The original FFT had small story scenes on small maps like the grid I showed above, with no exploration, but it really gave the game life.

However, games like FFT and 4x also have so much depth of gameplay that people will get much more information from the videos.

I will consider the demo, though, as it has been mentioned a few times already, not just here but have a few others who would like to test and play the game in RL.
Still nothing to play yet, aside from just, walking around the map and hearing the music of the different countries.

...which I admit, I actually do myself, lol.

At the least, I will release one post-funding, if not before. ^^

Thanks for the feedback, Zelan and SundownKid!
Will keep posting updates as I finish up the remaining systems. ^^

SypherZent
Veteran

#7 Post by SypherZent »

Just wanted to drop by. I am toying with shadows, zorder, and layers.
This post is to showcase the engine capabilities with regard to buildings.

So far so good! Here's a peek. ^^

The engine automatically places the character in the shade or in front of the building based on coordinates.

Even if image+shade is same file.

This allows for versatility in map design, building design, and procedural map generation (a long term goal).

Last edited by SypherZent on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

Wow, that looks really nice! I love the detail of the moss on the building.

SypherZent
Veteran

#9 Post by SypherZent »

Thanks, Zelan! For the buildings, I am using public domain art resources for now as placeholders.
Once the engine is complete, the main focus will be to make custom buildings for the town and dungeon maps. ^^

SypherZent
Veteran

#10 Post by SypherZent »

Just finished Chat Bubbles! Chat is variable and read from a separate file.
Camera centers in on the speaker and returns to the original location after the dialogue.
The actual bubble art is just placeholder for now. ^^
The building too...and the sprites...and tiles... xD

SypherZent
Veteran

#11 Post by SypherZent »

Last edited by SypherZent on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SypherZent
Veteran

#12 Post by SypherZent »

Last edited by SypherZent on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#13 Post by Ghost #9 »

I highly recommend that you avoid referencing too many other games when discussing the features your game. The biggest reason I'm mentioning this is because anyone who is not familiar with the games you're referencing will have no comprehension of the features you're trying to get across. This definitely will not help when it comes to funding your game!

Using acronyms is probably not a good idea, either. If someone isn't particularly familiar with the referenced game, they most certainly won't recognize an abbreviated title. Then, it might be difficult for them to even look it up.

SypherZent
Veteran

#14 Post by SypherZent »

Thank you, Ghost #9, I will keep it in mind!

I usually reference other games because, as an autodidact, it is the references that make it possible for me to investigate further and seek more information on the topic.

Especially with something in production where the features currently only exist in my mind, until I can produce them, the closest examples I can mention that would allow people to further investigate, are the common titles I constantly mention.

As for kickstarters, I think many such as Children of Zodiarcs, and Halcyon 6, reference the titles of which they capture the spirit.

In essence, I am capturing the spirit of the titles I mention.
Even though the features are not currently present, my videos are sort of an "in-the-making", as I go between technical details, my vision, what is accomplished, my recent progress, and any present obstacles I am overcoming.

I guess I just try to get as much information out, as I can. :D
As new videos come out and the features are actually completed, they will be seen and I won't have to reference so much. ^^

I will also bear in mind the acronyms, though I don't think I mentioned any other than PSX.
To clarify, that is the acronym for PlayStation One.

The titles I reference are actually all PlayStation One titles:
Suikoden, Suikoden 2, and Wild Arms in this video.

Highly recommended games, if you like rpgs! :)

I may also reference Mabinogi (an mmorpg) as well, at some point, based on how their dungeons are constructed.
Can't really think of another way to easily refer to a game mechanic that not all games possess, haha.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ghost #9!
I will definitely remember for future videos, and be sure to reference less, or perhaps include links to referenced titles to make it easier to find the information on them. ^^

SypherZent
Veteran

#15 Post by SypherZent »

Working on a new, more original art style!

Getting the hang of drawing sprite art, little by little (until I can get artist full time).
I need the format for the walking animation template in the meantime, therefore this guy shall be done soon! :D

(Note, the white guy is reference material ^^)

3/6 - Edit - Front facing frames drawn!

^ Wish I could find the source for the reference character. Forgot where I got it.
Thanks to whoever made it! Just looking at it really helps me draw the angles.