//TODO: today [Slice of Life, Romance][NaNo17]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
eZombo
Regular
Soundcloud: eerron
itch: ezombo

//TODO: today [Slice of Life, Romance][NaNo17]

#1 Post by eZombo »

Hey there, first time NaNoRenO participant here and this is the project we've been working on:
  • //TODO: today is a Slice of Life Visual Novel with some Romance.
    It tells the story of the struggling artist and college dropout Teal who finds themselves in the situation of knowing that they won't have enough money to pay rent.
    On top of that Teal is suddenly faced with an almost tailor made AI inhabiting their computer, claiming they'll tend to Teal's every need.
    And with a new co-worker who seems to be everything Teal aspired to be, the chaos is complete.
    So with their private life thrown out of balance Teal has to figure out how to make enough money to keep their apartment, find happiness in the work they do, and just in general... find out what they want from life.
Characters:
Teal - The Protagonist, an aspiring artist who isn't always as productive as they'd like to...
Joyce - The cheerful AI companion, whose only wish is to make Teal happy.
Phoenix - The stoic co-worker with a professional facade that might hide their true emotions.
And more...
  • Features:
  • Choose your pronouns and romantic preference
  • Two main routes with more variations along the way
  • Manage your part-time job and your work as an artist without completely neglecting your personal life
  • The Team:
    We're a team of two Animation & Game Students,
    Pectin: Who does all the art and also works on story development,
    And me: Who handles writing and programming with some work on UI and music.
  • Progress:
    The story is completely planned and we have outlines for every day in-game.
    Programming and game logic are pretty much done so content is our main focus right now!
    Latest screenshot:

We're also on itch.io now! https://boyslaughplus.itch.io/todo-today
Last edited by eZombo on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eZombo
Regular

Re: //TODO: today [Slice of Life, Romance][NaNo17]

#2 Post by eZombo »

Oh, and here's a screen-shot of our current UI:

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#3 Post by pyopyon »

Whoaaa!!! So many characterization choices!!

Wow, I wish I'd thought of this kind of customization! I look forward to your game! Especially that AI ayeee because romancing robots is everything my life needs to survive each day--

LOL hope it goes well with you guys!
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

This seems cool! Does it have stat-raising/sim elements? That's what it seems like based on the bullet point "Manage your part-time job and your work as an artist without completely neglecting your personal life."

I like the idea of being able to choose the genders of the protagonist and of the love interests. Will there be significant differences between stories depending on gender choice, or will it be mostly the same story but with art and pronouns swapped out?

Male Teal and Female Phoenix are both really cute. I think they have my favorite designs. c:
an aspiring artist who isn't always as productive as they'd like
Me too, Teal. Me. Too.

eZombo
Regular

#5 Post by eZombo »

pyopyon wrote:Whoaaa!!! So many characterization choices!!

Wow, I wish I'd thought of this kind of customization! I look forward to your game! Especially that AI ayeee because romancing robots is everything my life needs to survive each day--

LOL hope it goes well with you guys!
Thanks! We figured it would make the game a little more inclusive and enjoyable for more people. And the romance-able AI is pretty much how the brainstorming for the story started :lol:

Zelan wrote:This seems cool! Does it have stat-raising/sim elements? That's what it seems like based on the bullet point "Manage your part-time job and your work as an artist without completely neglecting your personal life."

I like the idea of being able to choose the genders of the protagonist and of the love interests. Will there be significant differences between stories depending on gender choice, or will it be mostly the same story but with art and pronouns swapped out?
Yes, mechanically you could think of the jobs as additional "romance options" and depending on your choices Teal will end up doing different work regardless of the actual romantic route.
We're also planning to include a basic mood system so Teal is happier (and more productive) if they take some time off every now and then instead of working non-stop.

The story will mostly be the same for either gender and preference but there are small variations in the dialogue when it makes sense. So the differences are a little more than just pronouns and art, but not enough for a completely different experience.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#6 Post by Alcor »

This is looking fantastic! The character designs are absolutely terrific, and the GUI preview is great as well. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Also, the available character customization looks awesome :D

pectin
Projects: //TODO: today, Defaction, Brassica
Tumblr: pekuchin
itch: pectin

#7 Post by pectin »

ALCOR_etc wrote:This is looking fantastic! The character designs are absolutely terrific, and the GUI preview is great as well. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Also, the available character customization looks awesome :D
I'll just drop in to say - Thank you!! ヾ(。・ω・。)

Amy_oai
Regular
Tumblr: obsessionaboutillusions

#8 Post by Amy_oai »

I'm in love with the character design and GUI ♥ And as for the story, who doesn't love slice of life? Good luck with NaNo, this looks amazing!
Image Image Image Image

pinto minto
Regular
Projects: Skeletons of a Demon

#9 Post by pinto minto »

This is SO COOL! I seriously can't wait to try this! I love the character designs and their names!

eZombo
Regular

#10 Post by eZombo »

Amy_oai wrote:I'm in love with the character design and GUI ♥ And as for the story, who doesn't love slice of life? Good luck with NaNo, this looks amazing!
pinto minto wrote:This is SO COOL! I seriously can't wait to try this! I love the character designs and their names!
Thanks for all the kind words! I can't really take credit for the character designs but Pectin surely appreciates that they're so well received :D

As for the lack of updates, I've been busy with fleshing out the writing which isn't exactly exciting to show, but as there's more art being made we'll be sure to update this thread!

Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

#11 Post by Desichan »

Ooh this looks super cool! I love the idea that you can pick genders of everyone, that'll definitely help you reach a decent sized audience! (Also really happy that it looks like Joyce will have pink no matter which gender)
But yeah this looks cool, I'm pretty excited to get a chance to play!

Do your best, and I hope your game goes well!

eZombo
Regular

#12 Post by eZombo »

Desichan wrote:Ooh this looks super cool! I love the idea that you can pick genders of everyone, that'll definitely help you reach a decent sized audience! (Also really happy that it looks like Joyce will have pink no matter which gender)
But yeah this looks cool, I'm pretty excited to get a chance to play!

Do your best, and I hope your game goes well!
Thanks! We're happy to hear that :D

And a quick update since we haven't shown much recently, here's our new main menu:

The notes on the right will be replaced with images of Joyce and Phoenix depending on which routes have been completed!

Glitterbark
Regular
Projects: Best Wishes
Tumblr: glitterbarkgaming
itch: glitterbark

#13 Post by Glitterbark »

*pets the main menu* it looks..... so good...

Like, seriously. I really love it! It's fun, it has personality, it's aesthetically pleasing, and it really seems to match the feel of your game. Bravo! (I love how the land lord is depicted. So, so very relatable...)
WIP: Image

eZombo
Regular

#14 Post by eZombo »

FoxTrotMuffin wrote:*pets the main menu* it looks..... so good...

Like, seriously. I really love it! It's fun, it has personality, it's aesthetically pleasing, and it really seems to match the feel of your game. Bravo! (I love how the land lord is depicted. So, so very relatable...)
Thanks! I'm happy you like the main menu :D

And a little about our progress content-wise:
We just passed 20k words today! (Still quite a bit to go though...)

pectin
Projects: //TODO: today, Defaction, Brassica
Tumblr: pekuchin
itch: pectin

#15 Post by pectin »

Some art progress from the last days/weeks :3

Usually I only draw characters, so this is a nice change of pace for me:

Some new character designs:

Aaaand colour designed the crew: