choosing scenes for CGs

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

choosing scenes for CGs

#1 Post by Scribbles »

I'm totally not procrastinating right now... but how do you guys go about choosing which scenes to convert(?) into CGs or Illustrations? I'm curious as to how other creators decide this :)
Image - Image -Image

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: choosing scenes for CGs

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Moved to Creator Discussion.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Sleepy
Regular
Projects: Camera Anima
Organization: EXP-resso Mutt
Tumblr: sleepy-does-games.tumblr.com
itch: https://expressomutt

#3 Post by Sleepy »

My thoughts on CGs/illustrations are they represent some of the more striking parts of the game or moments that can't easily be represented through text and character sprites. CGs usually don't pop up often (unless it's a big budget VN) so when they do, it instantly draws the player's attention. So scenes I'd pick are generally ones I <i>want</i> to most stick out in players minds or are meant to emphasize a particular theme or point in the game.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

I expect CGs for events and scene changes as well as things like costume changes or items entering the scene.
Its very frustrating when the game explains how x character got a necklace etc and it looks so good whatever, without seeing any visual representation of that.
Or something a little less nitpicky like a character trips and breaks a table (don't ask how) but the scene continues on, showing a perfectly unharmed table yet the dialogue goes on about "oh no, the table is broken. Now where do I put this vase of flowers?"
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#5 Post by YonYonYon »

I'd expect CGs for important characters introductions, for sure. Other than that, CGs point out important events and scenes.

Which scenes are important? You gotta decide it on your own.
ImageImage

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by indoneko »

but how do you guys go about choosing which scenes to convert(?) into CGs or Illustrations?
I tend to choose certain scenes which were expected to deliver a huge emotional impact to the player (which most of the time can't be achieved using only the usual Sprite+BG combo).

Imagine a scene where your most loved one was killed in front of you... in a gruesome manner.
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#7 Post by Mammon »

All of the above, I guess. Scenes that can't deliver a certain description or action-packed, comedic etc. vibe without using a CG should use a CG. Death scenes, kissing scenes, etc. Personally I'd say that character introduction CG are optional, you can add those once you actually finished the other CGs without being way behind on schedule.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#8 Post by Scribbles »

oh, I like everyone's responses! I completely forgot about the "character introduction" type of CG. I'm still trying to decide which things I want CGs of for my game, so this gives me some stuff to think about. My brain has just been so fried lately lol

plus I like hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions about stuff
Image - Image -Image

Jain
Regular

#9 Post by Jain »

Character introductions and anything epic.

Not being an artist, my ambition definitely exceeds my wallet in this regard, so I'll have to settle for the truly epic moments requiring illustration as opposed to epic moments of the general variety.

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#10 Post by Sonomi »

In my opinion, anything that you as a creator want to show the audience qualifies as a CG-worthy moment. So if it highlights a climax of any scene, I wouldn't mind seeing one (no matter how mundane it may seem): characters eating together at a restaurant, a father playing with his son in a park, a major argument between best friends, or a battle between sworn enemies. I love all types of CG.

cricketbat
Projects: Payback 2015, Badd Blood 1997
itch: cricketbat

#11 Post by cricketbat »

I personally love having CGs for important character intros, and anything that would be better served seen rather than explained. It's much easier to draw a person climbing scaffolding (or anything even vaguely dramatic) than it is to write it, in my opinion :p I'm definitely artist first, writer second, though.

Also, when I want them in a pose that's a little too different from their sprite. I get super lazy on sprite making, so it's easier to just make a full illustration than it is to slowly and carefully make small changes...