Are there a One-scene games?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
ido
IRC Nick: ido
Deviantart: dardamavet
Github: idoadler

Are there a One-scene games?

#1 Post by ido »

I'm not well informed in the Visual Novels area.
I played and loved Paper Dino's: Save The Date.

I would like to follow this example and make a game that happens with just one character, but also, just in one location.
Do you know of games that done that?

Thanks!

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

Re: Are there a One-scene games?

#2 Post by Sonomi »

I've played a game that's sort of like that, in terms of having just one scene, but there are 2 characters involved (The Dark). Unfortunately, I don't have any examples of single-character games at the moment.

ido
IRC Nick: ido
Deviantart: dardamavet
Github: idoadler

#3 Post by ido »

Thank you for the link.
Cute piece of art :)

It actually makes a good example, my idea also has two characters, I didn't count the player :lol:

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#4 Post by Sonomi »

ido wrote:Thank you for the link.
Cute piece of art :)

It actually makes a good example, my idea also has two characters, I didn't count the player :lol:
Of course!

If there's anything in particular you'd like to learn about visual novel craft, you are welcome to ask. While I may lack experience personally, I am certain someone else may have the answers to anything I can't help you with. But in any case, I wish you luck with your game. It doesn't have to be big or flashy to be enjoyable. :)

Banana
Tumblr: waitingformycoffin

#5 Post by Banana »

I made a game a while ago that primarily takes place in one location, and with one character. It's not strictly what you're looking for though, haha. I think it would be fun to host a VN game jam with this kind of restriction - only one background and only one character! It'd be interesting to see what people come up with. :)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

Depends what you mean by 'one character'. Do you mean only one person talks, or can there be other characters as long as they only talk through a radio, etc.

For example, in Digital: A Love Story you are the only person physically there. Everyone else you interact with is over the internet and you never see their faces, only their usernames and text.

In The Stanley Parable you are also the only person "present", besides the narrator who is talking to you as the "voice of God" omniscient perspective.

I'm pretty sure something like Gone Home or maybe Dear Esther is like that as well. It is more common in games where there is other gameplay to keep the player occupied in the absence of other characters.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

Banana wrote:I made a game a while ago that primarily takes place in one location, and with one character. It's not strictly what you're looking for though, haha. I think it would be fun to host a VN game jam with this kind of restriction - only one background and only one character! It'd be interesting to see what people come up with. :)
//off-topic but this game is really flippin good guys, you should all play it. I cried so much for both endings.

Drew
Regular
Projects: SW-SEG
Tumblr: makefox
Deviantart: makefox

#8 Post by Drew »

ido wrote:I would like to follow this example and make a game that happens with just one character, but also, just in one location.
Do you know of games that done that?
I think it's more about what works with the story that you want to tell. The scenes and characters required are going to be informed by how you want to make it work. They'd likely be atypical for VNs where there are expectations on what the game includes but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work mechanically.

Having a strong focus on what you want to do with the story will make a big difference. Most of the examples here very narrative heavy games for that reason. Though with a VN you could do a lot with conversations in a single setting, ie two strangers talking on a train journey etc.
Peace!

My art blog: http://makefox.tumblr.com/

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#9 Post by Katy133 »

The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car is set entirely inside a car with only two on-screen characters.

Also, I'd like to point out that Save the Date has multiple settings, not just one or two. I just want to clear that up for readers who are unfamiliar with the game.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

tohtamish
Regular

#10 Post by tohtamish »

Yes there are such games, I remember playing such vn, it was kinetic, short and very touching, was romantic story of casual acquaintance in alcove, it had professional art (not free pictures I am sure) and sounds as well, but I dont remember such details, in fact I remember such good kind game - and so it proves that it has value. In my opinion, such games must be very sinsere.

Banya
Regular
Completed: Deep Inside, KOI, ROAR, Dreamquartz, YOLO
Projects: Emerald Wasp
Deviantart: Banya-Laplace-Studio
itch: banya

#11 Post by Banya »

Not properly VN territory, but "Hello? HELLo!" is a One-Scene horror RPG.
Short, fun and with a suprising backstory and finale xD