Is it possible to make a Ren'py game "Online"?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Gustavs14
Regular

Is it possible to make a Ren'py game "Online"?

#1 Post by Gustavs14 »

I'm thinking along the lines of making an "online" tournament, with diffirent winning/losing brackets etc.

You would be able to sign up for it online and "compete" against others and get some prizes or something, for example.

If any additional info is needed, then I'll respond, but I hope you get my idea. Is Ren'py engine possible of doing something like this?

Thanks!

Saltome
Veteran
Deviantart: saltome

Re: Is it possible to make a Ren'py game "Online"?

#2 Post by Saltome »

Well, renpy does support both multithreading, and sockets. Encryption too, I think. So yes, it should be possible.
But unless you are making a visual novel mmo(Which is still an unfulfilled niche.), you might wanna pick a more specialized approach.
Deviant Art: Image
Discord: saltome
Itch: Phoenix Start

Gustavs14
Regular

#3 Post by Gustavs14 »

Saltome wrote:Well, renpy does support both multithreading, and sockets. Encryption too, I think. So yes, it should be possible.
But unless you are making a visual novel mmo(Which is still an unfulfilled niche.), you might wanna pick a more specialized approach.
No idea how most of that works currently, but that's good to know, I guess!

And I have no intentions of making an "MMO", just an educational game where you can compete with others in a tournament to test your skills against an opponent etc, basically, I'm trying to make something that will help people "study" more efficiently with different means other than school work, and I think this type of experiment could be really interesting and work if people can compete against each other for their skills etc. There will be lessons where to learn all the stuff, different things etc.

Think it could work? :P

pinto minto
Regular
Projects: Skeletons of a Demon

#4 Post by pinto minto »

I'm a newb when it comes to renpy, but I do remember of one or two people taking up on the challenge of making an online game with renpy, so yeah I think it is possible...

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#5 Post by xavimat »

Take a look at Cops&Robbers (in my signature). It's not the same think you want, but it uses a web server to share info between two players that 'compete' to get to the end of the game. The info is not shared in real time though, but with some seconds of delay, so no p2p combat but an actual challenge between them.

I'm currently making (with renpy) a learning program/(pseudo)game that uses this approach too, to learn ancient Greek.
I'm imitating the style of duolingo.com a web+app to learn modern languages with a gamified approach. (Take a look at it, it's great and have an exp points system to 'compete' with your friends)

Internally, I'm using ulrllib2.urlopen in Ren'Py to connect with a page in internet. And php+SQL in the webpage to add/retrieve the data to/from the database.

So, the answer to your question is yes it's possible with Ren'Py. That said, the other question is 'is Renpy the best option to do this?' I can't say, I'm not a pro. I'm using it for reasons (the visual engine is already there), surely there are other platforms to do that (I guess).
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

I was looking into this myself for the purposes of an educational tool.

Good to see its possible and even that xavimat has a working example!
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter