B.A.T. [Simulation, Drama, Comedy | NaNo 2017]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

B.A.T. [Simulation, Drama, Comedy | NaNo 2017]

#1 Post by Avior »

~Plot Overview~
You've just been hired as a part time night shift worker at a local conservatory for bats. The conservatory is equipped with state of the art technology that allows for communication between humans and bats! Your job is to watch over them from midnight to six, and make sure they are given food and water and are played with. If you keep them happy, things just might go well for you! And if not... well, who knows what such creatures of the night might be planning...

---------

B.A.T. is a game about cute bats, a part time worker, and other things that go bump in the night! Inspired in part by Hatoful Boyfriend.

~Characters~
[NO PHOTO FOUND]
Malina
Malina is a kind, hardworking young woman who loves to playfully push people's buttons. She has a habit of pretending to be oblivious to avoid dealing with troublesome situations. (Protagonist; can be given a nickname by the player.)

Jesse (Dinky) - Honduran White Bat
Dinky is so small, even a dust bunny is giant by comparison. Full of a rage that his tiny body cannot possibly hope to express, he occasionally loses his cool and shouts totally non-offensive swears. Can his tiny little heart have a hidden soft spot?

Bernard - Grey-Headed Flying Fox
Bernard is a bit of a crybaby and loyal almost to a fault. He will stick by Dinky's side no matter what. The adoration in his eyes is a little startling, so he keeps them hidden. Showing even a little kindness might be enough to win his affection!

Stanley (Wyre) - Common Vampire Bat
Stanley is a proud bat who's not afraid to tell it like it is. He can be stubborn and hard-headed, but he has a sense of honor above all the others. Be candid and keep him entertained and he just might take an interest in you.

Jean - Desert Long-Eared Bat
Jean is an excitable bat who never fails to keep on top of the gossip. Be crazy and spontaneous and take some chances and he'll certainly swoon!

Slaine (Snail) - Spotted Bat
Slaine really just wants to be left alone. He's not interested in drama and he's perfectly happy to spend his time in solitude, but he's not unwelcome to company. Adhere to your sense of justice and you may earn his respect!

~Features~
  • Adorable, absolutely not dangerous bats!
  • Unique tri-screen interface
  • 8 endings
  • 16 achievements
  • 17,000 word script

~Devs~
Avior - Writing, programming, BGs
Haruruniko (Degu) - Concept art, bat sprites, human sprites
Last edited by Avior on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

Re: B.A.T. [Simulation, Drama, Comedy | NaNo 2017]

#2 Post by Rainbow Colors »

This looks adorable! I'll give it a go when I'm free >u> Congrats on the release!

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#3 Post by Godline »

Was playing last night and oh, that Dinky. He's awesome. I just want to take all the bats home and squeeze them. My only complaint is that I want more!!

But you did it in a month so I can't complain too much.

(PS. I remember playing Voeux as well, that was such an intelligent rather existential puzzle game! My kudos to you!)

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#4 Post by pyopyon »

I got a traceback error and I don't know how to proceed D:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/02 FIRST ARC.rpy", line 1805, in script
    $ hab_je = false
  File "game/02 FIRST ARC.rpy", line 1805, in <module>
    $ hab_je = false
NameError: name 'false' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    $ hab_je = false
  File "/Users/jessinia/Library/Application Support/itch/apps/BAT/BAT-1.0-mac/BAT.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 814, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "/Users/jessinia/Library/Application Support/itch/apps/BAT/BAT-1.0-mac/BAT.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 1719, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
    $ hab_je = false

Darwin-16.4.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
BAT 1.0
I fed all the bats and I can't move forward. This is on the day Slaine came...

I fed Slaine, then Bernard, then Wyre, then Jesse and last Jean. Jesse guessed the food correctly. Then I couldn't move forward.

This game is great so far!!
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe

#5 Post by Avior »

Rainbow Colors wrote:This looks adorable! I'll give it a go when I'm free >u> Congrats on the release!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to play!
Godline wrote:Was playing last night and oh, that Dinky. He's awesome. I just want to take all the bats home and squeeze them. My only complaint is that I want more!!

But you did it in a month so I can't complain too much.

(PS. I remember playing Voeux as well, that was such an intelligent rather existential puzzle game! My kudos to you!)
Thank you! We're still considering a possible longer version sometime in the future, but nothing's definite yet. :wink:

And I'm really honored that you remember Voeux (and have positive memories of it, too)! And that you came back to play another game of mine! Thank you so much! :D
pyopyon wrote:I got a traceback error and I don't know how to proceed D:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    $ hab_je = false
    $ hab_je = false

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    $ hab_je = false
  File "/Users/jessinia/Library/Application Support/itch/apps/BAT/BAT-1.0-mac/BAT.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 814, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "/Users/jessinia/Library/Application Support/itch/apps/BAT/BAT-1.0-mac/BAT.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 1719, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
    $ hab_je = false

Darwin-16.4.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
BAT 1.0
I fed all the bats and I can't move forward. This is on the day Slaine came...

I fed Slaine, then Bernard, then Wyre, then Jesse and last Jean. Jesse guessed the food correctly. Then I couldn't move forward.

This game is great so far!!
Ah I'm sorry you ran into an error, and thank you for reporting! It's just a small typo that caused the issue (funny how much trouble they can cause >_>). If you take the script file attached to this post and replace the one in your main game folder, it should fix it! I should also have an updated build of the game up on itch.io in a few minutes!
Attachments
02 FIRST ARC.rpy
(71.85 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Image Image

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#6 Post by pyopyon »

OKAY. SO.

I've gotten 6/8 endings and I am trying to figure out the other two.

I've had my eye on B.A.T. since development and it turned out even better than I possibly imagined! (And I didn't know what to expect but I thought it sounded cool, so that's the highest of complements!!)

The bats are so adorable
and deadly
I was pretty surprised by the endings. The music is amazing but I ended up having the mute it because I'm a scaredy cat. The suspense music made my heart pound too hard to be comfortable, so... but all of the music was very well chosen and I enjoyed all of the tracks!

Maybe it's because I haven't gotten the last two endings but I'm still wondering what 'B.A.T.' stands for. I'm missing the "Till Dusk" achievement (assuming that's what it's called, since there seems to be a pattern.
(^:
But anyway, all the bats are cute, I think that Wyrm was my favorite, though Bernard was pretty cute. Ahh, actually I loved them all. (^:

I'm curious about the mythos of the batworld because of this game! Great entry for NaNo!! I loved every moment of it!

edit: Uhm.... so I hit a glitch.....
I got the 7th ending and it said, 'so you want to know the truth' and I'm like HECK YES but then it quit suddenly!! D: The menu changed but I don't know why ; __ ; Is there a way for me to somehow get that to happen again so I can read what actually happened?
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Avior
Regular

#7 Post by Avior »

pyopyon wrote:OKAY. SO.

I've gotten 6/8 endings and I am trying to figure out the other two.

I've had my eye on B.A.T. since development and it turned out even better than I possibly imagined! (And I didn't know what to expect but I thought it sounded cool, so that's the highest of complements!!)

The bats are so adorable
and deadly
I was pretty surprised by the endings. The music is amazing but I ended up having the mute it because I'm a scaredy cat. The suspense music made my heart pound too hard to be comfortable, so... but all of the music was very well chosen and I enjoyed all of the tracks!

Maybe it's because I haven't gotten the last two endings but I'm still wondering what 'B.A.T.' stands for. I'm missing the "Till Dusk" achievement (assuming that's what it's called, since there seems to be a pattern.
(^:
But anyway, all the bats are cute, I think that Wyrm was my favorite, though Bernard was pretty cute. Ahh, actually I loved them all. (^:

I'm curious about the mythos of the batworld because of this game! Great entry for NaNo!! I loved every moment of it!

edit: Uhm.... so I hit a glitch.....
I got the 7th ending and it said, 'so you want to know the truth' and I'm like HECK YES but then it quit suddenly!! D: The menu changed but I don't know why ; __ ; Is there a way for me to somehow get that to happen again so I can read what actually happened?
Thank you so much!! I'm glad you love the game and that it's exceeded your expectations! :D
I'm especially glad the music fits well, as it's a skill I'm still working on. Degu picked out the tracks this time, so I tried to pick the best fitting ones from those and find good places for them!

As for the scene after the 7th ending, it's supposed to quit like that, so no worries! It just means that the true end is now available.

And as for what B.A.T. stands for... it's a secret. :wink:
Thank you so much for playing and giving your thoughts!
Image Image

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#8 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Congratulations on the release~! I'm so excited when I downloaded it and can't wait to play it out ;;
Just finished playing once and now playing to get the other endings.

The art are so adorable, same with the bats and their characters <3
It's so hard to choose my favorite from all of the bats, they're all too cute! and uhm-- ambitious? x"D
I never guessed that the story will turn out to be like that ;; I can't wait to play more and reach other endings as well, I'm curious on what actually happens.

Really love the concept for the B.A.T system and all, at first it felt like I'm playing a game that made for 3ds/nds platform.
I fell in love immensely with those tiny bats, even though it's a short project for nanoreno.

Although I got error same like pyopyon, I'll re-download/replace the script file later ;;

Hopefully there will be more awesome game like this from you guys in the future, I'll be looking forward to it! Thank you for making this game <3

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#9 Post by Rainbow Colors »

aaaaaaaaaa I've just finished it~

11/10 would get
kidnapped by bats again
Best bat would be Jean - he's just so adorable, always looking happy with those fangs sticking out ;u;

On to more spoiler-y stuff, then~
Ha, so I never really figured out that they were taking your time, not until Slaine explicitly told me in the true end. Although it does make sense considering the several emphases on being tired, not noticing just how much time has passed(but time passed by quickly because I enjoyed taking care of them! D:), that one missing day, etc. I think the game wasn't long enough for the player to conclude by themselves the actual intention of the bats. Or I'm just plain dense :U

At any rate, it was enjoyable! I loved how the interface looked like, although I'm sort of confused: So, uh, I'm working there, and I have this nifty interface I can use to interact with bats. Am I behind a computer screen, interacting with them with another screen installed in their environment? Or am I in their environment, holding some sort of device that can bring up the screen thingy? I'm confused because at first I believed it was the former, but then they knocked me out and ??????

I'm not sure if that was clarified and I just missed it because I tend to skim-read >.>

It was a very nice NaNo game, something I can't describe properly because I'm not eloquent enough >.> It pained me to have to press the punish button because they're all very good bats :( time-sapping aside, anyway

Also, my guess: B.A.T. = Bats After Time???? XDDD (or was that mentioned, too, and I somehow skipped it? D:)

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#10 Post by YossarianIII »

Cool game! I used the nickname Bruce Wayne because he is a very normal person who definitely does not have any sort of weird hang-ups regarding bats. :wink:

It is nearly midnight where I live, and since I'm not a bat caretaker, I should probably be sleeping soon, but I wanted to post a few thoughts here first.

First of all, I really like the bat designs! I think in particular that adding speech bubble emoticons was a cool idea (it's something I wish they'd done in Hatoful Boyfriend). The designs, combined with the story, do a good job of giving each bat a distinct personality. (Jean is my favorite.)

I also liked the whole structure of the game with all the bat interaction options you choose each night. The GUI was intuitive (I liked the baseball "bat" for playing), and it didn't feel too grind-y, which is always a plus.

Also, I wasn't specifically looking for typos, but if you ever do an update, I caught a small one:

"It says Dinky in parenthases" [should be parentheses]

Haven't reached an ending yet, so these are just initial thoughts, but I'm looking forward to playing the rest of this one soon! :)

Image Image

paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

#11 Post by paradigmshifty »

Ah, I really liked this game. The user interface is really cool :D
And the way that
the interface and plot interacted at some points!
It's an entertaining game and I felt the characters personalities come through ^^

I just got one ending, but I am intrigued as to the others!
current project - Departure Lounge
past projects at sleepyagents.itch.io <3 website/blog at http://www.sleepyagents.co.uk <3 collabs etc. listed at projects.sleepyagents.co.uk/all/ <3
Honest Critique

anu
Projects: Guardian Spirit Di-visual-novelin, Four Seconds to Your Death
Deviantart: yoshinavanatala
itch: saydame

#12 Post by anu »

The interface is awesome!
I got the Dinky's ending for the first attempt... and somewhat I really didn't expect it
(he's kinda creepy for my taste)
I like Slaine. He is cool!

I don't play the whole game yet, but I am really looking forward to complete it!
Hey, hey.
Guess if I am really a silly writer.

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#13 Post by Evy »

Oh boy, I'm super late to the party but I finally sat down and played this.
Boy that was some mood whiplash. I got Dinky's ending first and my jaw dropped. I then went for Bernard thinking it would be less horrifying, and I was totally wrong. THESE CRAZY BATS ARE SPOOKY.

That said, I can't seem to figure out how to get the other endings. I got each bat's ending and also prematurely hit the emergency button, which brought me back to the title screen. I'm really stumped about what to do next... Anyone got any hints?
I definitely need to check out your other games now. Awesome work!