Audio Composition Dumpage Circle! Show your inspiration ^^

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Audio Composition Dumpage Circle! Show your inspiration ^^

#16 Post by DaFool »

Heh... I sort of promise to contribute to this and other art dumpage threads, but majorly fail... :? Because if something's good enough it's going into a project, leaving the rest not good enough in my opinion for sharing.

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by Cybeat »

I'm glad this thread was made. I'm better at being a music producer than an artist....I think. Take a look at one of the songs I made. It's for a game I'll be making after my next project. It's not a peacful song. It's more of a "Let's go!" music. For some reason I think the song fits for a menu screen or something.
Attachments
Menu.zip
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#18 Post by Efreet »

yummy wrote:I thought since we had a thread on drawings/painting/CG, why not a thread on music?
As there are people who excel in drawing, there might be people here who are good in composing music or tunes.

Please post your tunes!

Anyway, here's some of mine.

Solitude in the Rain

If you're paranoid, you can even include your Creative commons authorisations.

Like this one I use for this tune: CC
Nice piece, strangely enough, it sounds as though it was influence by Kanon's music. Something like Last regrets, or more specificallyToudo Kougen.

Ah I'd like to create pieces like these.. All I got is eJay Dance 3... :? I reckon I could create a few horror/atmospheric pieces just using the beats...

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#19 Post by Blue123 »

Heh, I do write music but currently am too poor to afford any VSTs etc. so I can't export my stuff as audio. In the meantime, I'll give you the first few bars of the score to my last project:

And don't steal anything!
Last edited by Blue123 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#20 Post by Efreet »

Blue123 wrote:Heh, I do write music but currently am too poor to afford any VSTs etc. so I can export my stuff as audio. In the meantime, I'll give you the first few bars of the score to my last project:
And don't steal anything!
Aren't you running Sibelius 5? Isn't that like an expensive program? Costs over £200... <_<''

Blue123
Veteran

#21 Post by Blue123 »

Yup. At last check it's £595.00. But I liked the program, and could sort of work it, so I bought it!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by DaFool »

Blue123 wrote:Heh, I do write music but currently am too poor to afford any VSTs etc. so I can export my stuff as audio.
I've been meaning to ask, aren't there any free VSTs out there at all? I've been wanting to upgrade from plain midi and collecting synthfonts for a while now, but couldn't find something I can actually understand how to use and is free.

Blue123
Veteran

#23 Post by Blue123 »

There are bound to be a few, but I haven't been able to find much. It's quite confusing.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#24 Post by yummy »

Efreet wrote:Nice piece, strangely enough, it sounds as though it was influence by Kanon's music. Something like Last regrets, or more specificallyToudo Kougen.

Ah I'd like to create pieces like these.. All I got is eJay Dance 3... :? I reckon I could create a few horror/atmospheric pieces just using the beats...
Well, I do listen to some of Key music, but I'm really careful not to create anything that looks like what the composer did. I can't say I'm not influenced by the music they do though. If you felt it looked like one of the music they made, it's probably because I try to depict some kind of atmosphere that fits well with the same thing they try to tell.

Unfortunately Blue123, I just can't read what you composed :p (yeah I should relearn my solfege but oh well)
It'd be great if you exported it into audio instead. Anyway, seems like it's a heavy construction and I tend to appreciate that.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by yummy »

Here's one of my latest music compositions, inspired from the well known Kanon D dur from Pachelbell.
Enjoy.

(Under the same cc licence as my other ones)

storm-and-fire
Regular

#26 Post by storm-and-fire »

A little bit out of topic, but I need to ask...
How do you guys make your tracks loop "fluently"? T_T

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by yummy »

Well, it depends on how you define "fluently".
If you meant something like, how the tune doesn't look like it's been rushed, then all I can say is that you simply play it many times so that you keep the same pace, the same harmonics (also known as key tune) or else you end up with something weird.
You can also make it so you define something like a movement into your tune. There are crescendo styles, decrescendo styles, etc. You can also play with the instruments, introduce new ones, remove some, play with the panning (left and right)...
For loops, I tend to conserve some key movements that I place at some special portions.
I hope it helps.

Blue123
Veteran

#28 Post by Blue123 »

yummy wrote: Unfortunately Blue123, I just can't read what you composed :p (yeah I should relearn my solfege but oh well)
It'd be great if you exported it into audio instead. Anyway, seems like it's a heavy construction and I tend to appreciate that.
I think it would be great if I could export too! But I can't :( I'm too poor to afford any VSTs or sounds...

Anyway, on the topic of looping, I kind of get what he means- how do we construct tracks that can repeat over and over again seamlessly?

storm-and-fire
Regular

#29 Post by storm-and-fire »

Blue123 wrote:Anyway, on the topic of looping, I kind of get what he means- how do we construct tracks that can repeat over and over again seamlessly?
Exactly! That's what I meant! ^^
Adjusting them to also sound like that in Ren'Py... There have been a couple of tracks that loop perfectly in my sound software and yet that can't be repeated in Ren'Py.

And another question... Let's say I make a track, but I want it to play fully once and then loop from the middle... How do I do that? ^^;

Thanks in advance!

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#30 Post by Alessio »

storm-and-fire wrote:There have been a couple of tracks that loop perfectly in my sound software and yet that can't be repeated in Ren'Py.
In my experience, if the loop is perfect as such, then it will also play perfectly in Ren'Py. The "sound software" (= sequencer?) you use might be the culprit. In the end, the wav/ogg file must loop perfectly when played on its own, whereas a sequencer might be trying to make it sound smooth.

To make loop points smooth, you must consider the 1. technical side (= making the loop seamless) and 2. the musical side (= keeping the theme):

1. Compose smartly so that loop start and end sound roughly the same. If the loop starts with a piano, also make it end with one, otherwise the loop point becomes obvious. Also, the loop should be cut as precisely on the beat as possible (down to a few single samples or so) where the wave hits the 0-crosspoint (otherwise you get pops). I found TWE a good help for that.

2. For the theme, try to avoid building up a climax like in your average pop song. It won't sound good when a full orchestra gets looped back to the piano intro. It's a good idea to compose an ending that leads back to the beginning.
storm-and-fire wrote:Let's say I make a track, but I want it to play fully once and then loop from the middle... How do I do that? ^^;
Cut it in two parts - the intro and the loop part, and play one after the other (so that the first one won't loop, and the second will).