Rotating Main Menu Options

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ragnos
Regular

Rotating Main Menu Options

#1 Post by Ragnos »

I've no idea where to start with this, but I have an idea for a VN I'm reviving. I'm wanting to make it to where the player uses his arrow keys to cycle through menu options on the title screen. The options are set-up in a circle starting with start, when you press right (Or left) it rotates to the next option, and so on and so forth. Is this possible in Ren'py?

SuperbowserX
Veteran

Re: Rotating Main Menu Options

#2 Post by SuperbowserX »

Something like this might help:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26511

And here's the documentation entry:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/keymap.html

Ragnos
Regular

#3 Post by Ragnos »

That helps with the keybinds, Thanks. Now to figure out the rotating selection.

Ragnos
Regular

#4 Post by Ragnos »

Okay I made the UI assets I needed for the rotating menu, but how do I have the options move in a circle?
As you cycle through the options I want them to rotate. I've messed with the positioning, but I've no idea how to pull this off. Any help?

Saltome
Veteran
Deviantart: saltome

#5 Post by Saltome »

Well I figure you should define a couple of transforms, to animate the buttons moving in a circle, then use the keybinding to get them to move.

Although, you do realize this isn't RPGMaker? My first instinct won't even remotely be to use the arrow keys on the main menu.
Deviant Art: Image
Discord: saltome
Itch: Phoenix Start

Ragnos
Regular

#6 Post by Ragnos »

Saltome wrote: Although, you do realize this isn't RPGMaker? My first instinct won't even remotely be to use the arrow keys on the main menu.
Well, I need the player to rotate through the selection somehow. I suppose using a the mouse and mouse wheel could work.
Actually where would I find the code to alter the postion of the main menu options.

Saltome
Veteran
Deviantart: saltome

#7 Post by Saltome »

That might work, assuming you don't have any issues with the rollback feature. Since that's also mapped to the mousewheel. But you should be fine.

In the screens file, the main_menu screen.
Deviant Art: Image
Discord: saltome
Itch: Phoenix Start