Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Ideas Dump

#1501 Post by indoneko »

gas wrote:
Dark Sentinel wrote:Setting? Oh c'mon, protagoinist is transferred into the school with the girls who are suddenly PLs...
Ow, that's the premise of a famous manga (Assembler 0X).
similar, yet not really. More like the opposite of it....
https://myanimelist.net/manga/19647/Assembler_0X wrote: In A.D. 1997. Having failed to conqer the Earth, Compiler and Assembler from Another World settle down in the residence of Nati and Toshi Igarashi whom they choose as their partners. As they start their literally unworldly community life, various Sudaran assassins arrive from Another World one after another to attack Compiler and Assembler, until, in good time, all of those begin to turn into old memories... Yes, in 2000, the last year of the century, Assembler has started to lead quite a different life --- a life as a "human being"...

Btw, any plan to make it into a real game ?
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Dark Sentinel
Regular
Completed: Five in Frills

#1502 Post by Dark Sentinel »

No. Nonononononono. No. Impossible. Never touching solodev again. If someone picks this idea then great and maybe I'll even ask to let me join, but I don't have enough skills to solodev this.
щ (ºДº ) щ

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#1503 Post by Evy »

I have some very basic ideas that have been floating around in my mind.

-One is a murder-mystery with kemonomimi characters. The protagonist would be an animal that is often viewed poorly by the general public, such as a pigeon or sheep, but is actually very smart. The "foil" character would be a haughty owl who is really not as smart as he'd like people to believe. Other character ideas include a bull, a bear and possibly a snake.

-The other is much more personal to me and would describe the aromantic/asexual experience, with a focus on friendships... but that's the extent of it for now.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#1504 Post by indoneko »

Dark Sentinel wrote:No. Nonononononono. No. Impossible. Never touching solodev again. If someone picks this idea then great and maybe I'll even ask to let me join, but I don't have enough skills to solodev this.
Hm... if you're planning to join such project, which skill(s) are you good at?
I might start a new project with that idea; probably with rpg aspect like stat raising and fighting the PL girls (to turn them into becoming your ally).

Problem is... I don't know much about those programming languages to be able to properly project their trait/personality into my game characters (despite the fact that this game is just a parody). For example, do you think my descriptions below hit the mark ?

- Assembler is a no-nonsense goddess that does everything quickly (although in very old-school manner). Some people couldn't understand her speech because she tend to use short/garbled words
- C (the original one, not her ++ or # sister) is an elegant goddess that can also move quickly (although not as quick as assembler). She always carry a concealed Swiss knife, and sometimes a NULL fry pan. Once captured, she will become very submissive to her master and would never questioning her master's command (even if it's breaking her apart).
- Python is a moody goddess who is more powerful (albeit slower) than C, and sometimes inclined to exaggeration. For example, if C uses a knife to cut a carrot then Python would use a chainsaw. :lol: She has two snakes as her pet (which sometimes she carries around and brags about)
- Renpy is a Python's follower, which also act as a local shrine maiden. An otaku herself, she leads all gamer into a spiritual enlightenment...
Evy wrote:I have some very basic ideas that have been floating around in my mind.

-One is a murder-mystery with kemonomimi characters. The protagonist would be an animal that is often viewed poorly by the general public, such as a pigeon or sheep, but is actually very smart. The "foil" character would be a haughty owl who is really not as smart as he'd like people to believe. Other character ideas include a bull, a bear and possibly a snake.
Yes, more kemonomimi please. We don't have enough of them here....

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#1505 Post by Mammon »

Here's an idea I've been having lately. It feels like a good premise but I'm not getting a good plot from it, or rather not a plot that feels alive and motivates me. I don't know if there's anything like this already done, there probably has been, bt I wouldn't know about it.

Reincarnation is real.
When you die, you're born again in a new body. This happens for every animal, and has been happening for millenia. They die, and they are born again with the memories of their previous life. And the life before that. And the life before that one. Memories of hundreds upon thousands of lives that form a collective consciousness called 'Instinct'.

Humanity...
Humanity doesn't have this. When a human is born, they are born anew with a clean slate. We are not sentient because we have greater brains or a god-given intelligence, we are sentient because we do not reincarnate properly. Our greater skull that needs a soft spot to fit through the womb and the long period of helplessness after birth, they are design flaws that break incarnation. The squishing of our brains during birth acts as a 'hard reset', giving complete amnesia erasing out previous life every time.

Learning.
So no, we are not more intelligent than animals, unlike what we like to believe. Rather, we are not bound to the memories of a thousand ancestors and have to learn life anew every time. We are born, we learn the rules and guidelines, and then we can learn beyond them. We can improve our existence, so the next generation can learn about this as well and improve even further. That, that's our advantage over other animals. Blissfully aware of this advantage, we continue to grow.

But now,
In the year 2050~ (or whatever) humanity has perfected cloning. Many humans are now being born from test tubes and we are on the brink of the next step; fully grown clones. Where we only grew babies before, scientists have now managed to grow humans that are already matured. Humans that only have to be taught what they need to know for their designated job as labor force, without any need for further rights or effort. A new, more docile, working class. A working class that knows nothing... except for their previous life.

Alternatively,
Hundreds of years ago, a Caesarean section is being performed on a dying mother to save the child. A child that, without the natural order of birth, didn't get a hard reset of their previous life. A child that has to grow up with knowledge considered witchcraft in superstitious times. (Can be any of the historically documented first C-sections, from Julius Ceasar to a simple pigfarmer's child, or a fictional character of course.)
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Oracle
Regular
Projects: Freight Train, Moonlight River, Arbitration, Timewave, Stardust, Dead Mistress, Dark Forces
Soundcloud: Sound_Oracle

#1506 Post by Oracle »

hmmm...

I have been throwing this idea around for a short play.
It's about a drag queen and their every day life. It begins with a narration from the main character talking about what it takes to be a drag queen directly transitioning to a chair dance danced to Christina Aguilera's Express.

That's all I have so far....
Don't Judge me...
Let's change the world one note at a time~
Check out my Soundcloud!

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#1507 Post by Shinoki »

Chinese stories set in the old days are so fun. Cultivation, sure. But the stuff about the concubine's daughter and said daughter just going along, watching and dealing with the Madame and the boss concubine's spoiled kids... those are fun. Show your filial duty, kids. Be adherent to Confucian thingies.

A visual novel regarding such a setting. I kind of want it.

Oracle
Regular
Projects: Freight Train, Moonlight River, Arbitration, Timewave, Stardust, Dead Mistress, Dark Forces
Soundcloud: Sound_Oracle

#1508 Post by Oracle »

Cool!
Let's change the world one note at a time~
Check out my Soundcloud!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1509 Post by gekiganwing »

Have some fun with tests other than the Bechdel Test. To be specific...

* The Furiosa Test. What if the protagonist's goal is to intimidate men? How does she benefit from this, and how does this make her life challenging?

Alternately, what if the protagonist meets a woman who's famous because misogynists hate her? How do the protagonist and this woman interact?

* The Sexy Lamp Test. What if the protagonist finds out that their love interest has been replaced by an inanimate object (or a robot, or something similar)? It seems reasonable to assume they'd be horrified.

Alternately, what if the protagonist discovers that they're losing their humanity / individuality, but other people can't perceive it? I assume they would be quite frustrated and depressed.

Dark Sentinel
Regular
Completed: Five in Frills

#1510 Post by Dark Sentinel »

indoneko wrote: Hm... if you're planning to join such project, which skill(s) are you good at?
Random. Can build a game together. Some terrible spritedrawing. Ideas. Terrible threedee (I'm not used to making 3D things for VNs).
If such a project appears, I may or may not ask to join. Depends.
indoneko wrote: For example, do you think my descriptions below hit the mark ?
- Assembler is a no-nonsense goddess that does everything quickly (although in very old-school manner). Some people couldn't understand her speech because she tend to use short/garbled words
Sounds about right, though in "school setting" I saw her as local crafting master, crafty enough to build the robot chassis (since I wanted to add the PROLOG as AI robot girl), but not "smart" enough to program the personality (that's left for R).
I guess I'm borrowing the part about short words though. She's not talking gibberish, just hard to understand.
indoneko wrote: - C (the original one, not her ++ or # sister) is an elegant goddess that can also move quickly (although not as quick as assembler). She always carry a concealed Swiss knife, and sometimes a NULL fry pan. Once captured, she will become very submissive to her master and would never questioning her master's command (even if it's breaking her apart).
I guess that's okay.
indoneko wrote: - Python is a moody goddess who is more powerful (albeit slower) than C, and sometimes inclined to exaggeration. For example, if C uses a knife to cut a carrot then Python would use a chainsaw. :lol: She has two snakes as her pet (which sometimes she carries around and brags about)
- Renpy is a Python's follower, which also act as a local shrine maiden. An otaku herself, she leads all gamer into a spiritual enlightenment...
I saw Python as local goddess with personality split (v2/v3) and enough power to smash this universe since we work with Ren'Py and Python. Enrage her enough and the world crashes because "indentation mismatch".
I guess split personality and exagerration calls for some light mental disorder.
Ren'Py as loyal otaku shrine maiden is a nice touch though.

Next, if you don't mind.
- Basic is you entry level opponent. Nice, simple, sorta effective, easy to begin with, but tends to do things in weird ways (10 RENPY 20 GOTO 10) and generally teaches you to do the same. Since, I guess, Basic (any of it's dialects, be it ancient QBasic or modern FreeBasic) was the first programming language for many of us. In "school setting" she's the proud member of "Welcoming Committee".
Maybe right after the first battle she can be your advisor / aide. Or nevermind, you can ask any of your girls to be your aide.
- Haskell is lazy, she tends to do everything at the last moment, including damage dealing, 'cause "lazy evaluation". "School setting" document describes her as "smart, sleepy, lazy, hipster".
- Java is caffeine-addict and slooooooow, but she can work and fight in competely any conditions and situations without penalties, 'cause Java Virtual Machine.

Something like this.
щ (ºДº ) щ

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#1511 Post by indoneko »

Dark Sentinel wrote:Random. Can build a game together. Some terrible spritedrawing. Ideas. Terrible threedee (I'm not used to making 3D things for VNs).
If such a project appears, I may or may not ask to join. Depends.
Hm... can you PM me your term/condition for joining such project?
I'm also open to any ideas; whether it's the sprite design for the characters, the world setting, the gameplay, or anything that you want to add into this project.
Sounds about right, though in "school setting" I saw her as local crafting master, crafty enough to build the robot chassis (since I wanted to add the PROLOG as AI robot girl), but not "smart" enough to program the personality (that's left for R).
I guess I'm borrowing the part about short words though. She's not talking gibberish, just hard to understand.
Somehow I'm starting to imagine her as Yuuki Nagato from anime "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yutsu" :oops:
I saw Python as local goddess with personality split (v2/v3) and enough power to smash this universe since we work with Ren'Py and Python. Enrage her enough and the world crashes because "indentation mismatch".
I guess split personality and exagerration calls for some light mental disorder.
Yeah, maybe that's the correct way to describe her.... :lol:
I can imagine her resembling the main heroine of anime "Mahoraba Heartful Days", which changes her personality everytime she's experiencing a shocking moments....
Next, if you don't mind.
- Basic is you entry level opponent. Nice, simple, sorta effective, easy to begin with, but tends to do things in weird ways (10 RENPY 20 GOTO 10) and generally teaches you to do the same. Since, I guess, Basic (any of it's dialects, be it ancient QBasic or modern FreeBasic) was the first programming language for many of us. In "school setting" she's the proud member of "Welcoming Committee".
Maybe right after the first battle she can be your advisor / aide. Or nevermind, you can ask any of your girls to be your aide.
Yeah, she's so simple and gullible that we could make her run in circles... :lol:
Somehow, talking about Basic made me feel nostalgic...
- Haskell is lazy, she tends to do everything at the last moment, including damage dealing, 'cause "lazy evaluation". "School setting" document describes her as "smart, sleepy, lazy, hipster".
- Java is caffeine-addict and slooooooow, but she can work and fight in competely any conditions and situations without penalties, 'cause Java Virtual Machine.
I don't know anything about Haskell, so I'll just take your description as it is for now.
And I agree about java being slow.... so slow that she even have delayed response when when surprised her... :twisted:

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#1512 Post by papillon »

I mentioned this on twitter, but seriously, this whole 'fyre festival' story is CRYING OUT to be a visual novel plot in the vein of a zero escape / danganronpa game or something. Lure a bunch of strangers to an island for the 'experience of a lifetime'. Tell them to bring no money or possessions, just to wear this smart band which will clamp onto your wrist...

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1513 Post by gekiganwing »

Evy wrote:I have some very basic ideas that have been floating around in my mind. One is a murder-mystery with kemonomimi characters.
The reader will need reasons to believe that the characters might be sympathetic, *and* that they could be culprits. How much will the characters' animal traits define them? How much will they be individuals who don't adhere to expectations regarding animals act?
papillon wrote:...this whole 'fyre festival' story is CRYING OUT to be a visual novel plot in the vein of a zero escape / danganronpa game or something. Lure a bunch of strangers to an island for the 'experience of a lifetime'. Tell them to bring no money or possessions, just to wear this smart band which will clamp onto your wrist...
The protagonist needs to either be trapped, or have compelling reasons to stay. (If I remember correctly, the characters in Sweet Fuse could have left the amusement park, but that would have resulted in the deaths of hundreds of hostages.) Also, the story needs to establish why the characters can't just call the police or other authorities. I can imagine that a VN with the premise of "characters trapped in a remote festival" would have to occur in a place where the law can't reach. Or maybe the organizers have used bribery and deceit to give themselves a good reputation.

Who would be organizing the event? Do they have good intentions? Are they inept or greedy? Or do their motives lean towards chaotic evil?

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#1514 Post by indoneko »

papillon wrote:...Lure a bunch of strangers to an island for the 'experience of a lifetime'. Tell them to bring no money or possessions...
"Maid with Perfection" has similar setting.
The protagonist is a "lucky" guy who was offered to quit his job and start a new life in a mansion, with a maid, in a remote area designed for government's military experimentation.

Neeka
Veteran
Completed: Hearts & Hexes; Winter Flower
Projects: Hearts and Hexes; Our Mountain; The Last Clan: Tale of Oni
Organization: Ostrich Burger Productions
IRC Nick: Neeka
itch: neeka-of-obp

#1515 Post by Neeka »

I'll never work on this so I hope someone adopts the idea.

It starts out with the typical cliche of a woman driving through the woods and her car breaks down. In the distance is a mansion, and though no one answers she enters, looking for a telephone or outlet to charge her dead phone.

The mansion is home to 3 or so vampire men. They are bound to the estate, only able to leave if they prove they are capable of gaining love. Except this woman is secretly a sadist. Not bothered that they are vampires, she'll 'punish' them for sucking her blood without permission, etc. There are sexual there's but perhaps nothing R-18.

They end up falling in love with her instead of the other way around. So despite her personality they still need he to fall in love with them in order to leave.

IDK, just a weird inkling I had. It's not super original but if executed right it would be a nice comedic romance vn.