Hospitalized [Horror][VN with point and click elements]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
KarmaLarma
Projects: Deadly Vice
Tumblr: karmalarma
Deviantart: karmalarma
itch: karmalarma

Hospitalized [Horror][VN with point and click elements]

#1 Post by KarmaLarma »

(This is an early WIP as I'm trying to focus more on the writing and coding before doing final visuals. However, some of the assets are complete. I'll update here when I get things more polished up, and once I have a playable demo.)
"Amy is the nurse who has been caring for me for the past couple of weeks. She runs a small clinic all by herself."
"It must be hard work. But at the moment, I'm her only patient."
Hospitalized is a horror VN about a patient of a small, isolated clinic ran by a caring nurse named Amy. The patient enjoys her company but finds no matter how long they are there, they don't seem to be getting any better. Could it be that they are more sick than they thought, or is Amy not as committed to their recovery as she says she is?
This is my first full project which will be pay-what/if-you-want once complete, as well as my first work using Ren'Py. It originally started out as a TyranoBuilder project, but I realized that some of the parts I wanted to implement into the gameplay (An inventory and the ability to move between rooms) was actually more complicated to do with that software than with Ren'Py's coding.
There are currently two endings implemented, since as a horror game it will have several short bad ends and the good end will be the longest route, but I won't be posting any demos until I have all of the core features up and running within the game.
(Progress coming along on backgrounds!)
My next step is to add the room navigation, which will require replacing some of the placeholder backgrounds with ones that accurately show where the clickable doors are. I hope to make quick progress so that I'll have something playable to share soon!
Last edited by KarmaLarma on Wed May 17, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Hospitalized [Horror][VN with point and click elements]

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

Ooh, sounds fun. There's definitely a lot of horror potential in being stuck in a suspicious hospital and being especially powerless because you're ill. Is the patient going to be nameless, or do you just not have a name yet? And do we get to know why the patient was hospitalized in the first place, or is that part of the mystery?
ImageImageImage

KarmaLarma

#3 Post by KarmaLarma »

parttimestorier wrote:Ooh, sounds fun. There's definitely a lot of horror potential in being stuck in a suspicious hospital and being especially powerless because you're ill. Is the patient going to be nameless, or do you just not have a name yet? And do we get to know why the patient was hospitalized in the first place, or is that part of the mystery?
I was going to leave them nameless, but I'm thinking it might be better to have the option to name them instead. And yes, you find out why the patient is there early in the game.

KuroPan
Projects: The Town
Deviantart: KuroYaakhu

#4 Post by KuroPan »

That's look very nice !
I love horror games. But, is Amy a real nice person ?
I think all the Amy in games are in fact bad people (one of my character is called Amy and she's an assistant, and she is here for... some reasons...)
Maybe your Amy is here to kill people in the hospital ????
Th'at's just a silly theory (or maybe not :)).
I was searching too a way to make this "point and click action" like Professor Layton 'cause I'm working on a similary game. Did you find any way ?
- Mystery Time -

"This story took place at the very beginning of our collaboration."
"At the time when everything seemed to be normal."

Oh, my ! Please, the story is in french.
But it would be nice if only there was an english version.
Maybe, a day, I will do a traduction.
A day.
When I finish the first chapter.
A day...
Peace !

THE TOWN (1.0)

KarmaLarma

#5 Post by KarmaLarma »

KuroPan wrote:That's look very nice !
I love horror games. But, is Amy a real nice person ?
I think all the Amy in games are in fact bad people (one of my character is called Amy and she's an assistant, and she is here for... some reasons...)
Maybe your Amy is here to kill people in the hospital ????
Th'at's just a silly theory (or maybe not :)).
I was searching too a way to make this "point and click action" like Professor Layton 'cause I'm working on a similary game. Did you find any way ?
The poor nice Amys are gonna get a bad rap from these gals! And for the point and click parts, my intention is to make the rooms work like a clickable map which there are tutorials for on this site. Clicking doors takes you to other rooms, and clicking objects that are part of the background will get you some kind of commentary.

The items to be picked up I'm still working out how to do. But ideally I'll draw them in such as way as that they'll look like they belong with all the background items and once you click them to pick them up, they won't show up again since they'll now be in your inventory. I'm thinking of giving each usable item a variable so that when you enter a room, the engine can see if you've picked it up already. If you already have the item, it skips to the next one and checks that and so on until it's sure to only show items you haven't taken. Plus, this will also make it convenient for making certain dialogue/action options only available if you have the right item. Hopefully it will work the way I think it will work.

KuroPan

#6 Post by KuroPan »

The items to be picked up I'm still working out how to do. But ideally I'll draw them in such as way as that they'll look like they belong with all the background items and once you click them to pick them up, they won't show up again since they'll now be in your inventory. I'm thinking of giving each usable item a variable so that when you enter a room, the engine can see if you've picked it up already. If you already have the item, it skips to the next one and checks that and so on until it's sure to only show items you haven't taken. Plus, this will also make it convenient for making certain dialogue/action options only available if you have the right item. Hopefully it will work the way I think it will work.

It seems to be a real good project, but a bit hard to do if you don't know what code you must use ! So it would be closer to Ace Attorney ? (I mean to present profils and it's not that; and more and more until you notice after a few hours that you forgot to take something in this place/ask someone something in this room... x) )

PS: I saw your latest deviantart. The place is very good and cute, I thought that would be more creepy !
PSPS : And Amy's hair looks like Justice Call (I find him very very cool). Is it a wink ?

I wish you a very good luck !
- Mystery Time -

A day.
A day...
Peace !

THE TOWN (1.0)

KarmaLarma

#7 Post by KarmaLarma »

KuroPan wrote:

It seems to be a real good project, but a bit hard to do if you don't know what code you must use ! So it would be closer to Ace Attorney ? (I mean to present profils and it's not that; and more and more until you notice after a few hours that you forgot to take something in this place/ask someone something in this room... x) )

PS: I saw your latest deviantart. The place is very good and cute, I thought that would be more creepy !
PSPS : And Amy's hair looks like Justice Call (I find him very very cool). Is it a wink ?

I wish you a very good luck !
Yeah, somewhat like that! But the game will be on the short side so if you miss something and get a bad end, it shouldn't be hair-pullingly frustrating to get back to where you were hehe. And I know it will be hard but I'm using bits and pieces from the info people put here on the forums. It's working well so far with the other functions of the game, so hopefully it will go well when it comes to the items. I'm using this project to learn some of the core coding I'll be needing for a larger one!

And thanks! The clinic is meant to be fairly cute and cozy looking until things start to get tense. And Amy's hair is similar to Justice Call (I'm so glad you like him!) but it isn't really meant to be a nod toward him. I tried a few looks for the nurse before settling on Amy.

I thought her hair gave her an interesting silhouette, and by pulling it up more and making it sharper she would a little bit of a cat-like look to her.

KuroPan

#8 Post by KuroPan »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Waah !
The three are really good ! It is clear that the three styles give something different every time!
And so, the pink-haired Amy is the official design if I understand well.
And are you going to incorporate the other two people into the game as a "pnj" ? ("ncp" in english i believe)
- Mystery Time -

A day.
A day...
Peace !

THE TOWN (1.0)

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#9 Post by Ertal77 »

I love how comfortable and cute everything looks... One doesn't think anything bad can happen in a flowery wallpaper room, right? And a nurse that cute with PINK hair on top of it must be lovely and caring, RIGHT?

...I'm already feeling bad for the poor protagonist.
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

LuckyCats
Regular

#10 Post by LuckyCats »

Ohh I like how this is looking I enjoy playing escape the room games, visual novels,and eerie settings plus plus plus :D will be keeping an eye on this project

How will your interactions with Amy go? Will you be able to press her for details as you grow more aware that something is amiss or play it off hoping that you don't disturb the status quo and plot an escape?