Band Camp Boyfriend [Otome] [GxB] [Dramedy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Xandra
Regular
Completed: Band Camp Boyfriend
Projects: Band Camp Boyfriend
Tumblr: http://lovebirdgames.tumblr.com/
itch: lovebird-games
Discord: xandra42

Band Camp Boyfriend [Otome] [GxB] [Dramedy]

#1 Post by Xandra »

[Marching Band] [Otome] [GxB] [Romance, Comedy, Drama, Friendship, Mystery, Psychological Thriller]
Rating: T (Language, Suggestive Humor, Violence, Instrument Abuse)

-UPDATES-
9/25/18 - KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!!!
8/10/18 - The BCB Demo is now playable! We have released the first 2 1/2 days of the game. Please see the most recent post by Mello-knight for more details!
6/24/18 - We have nailed down a demo release date! Look out for it on August 10, 2018!
1/21/18 - Added a small collage of new CGs below!
1/1/18 - New Video Out! How to Survive Band Camp 101 by our very own Blue Mountain Marching Band. ;) Check it out below.
10/22/17 - Character Intro Trailer is out!

-STORY-

"Band, Atten Hut!"
Hello there! My name is Cadence. I’m a junior in high school and the new drum major of my school's band: The Blue Mountain Marching Bandits! I’m so excited (and a tad nervous...) for my first year in such an important role. I’ll try to be the very best conductor and leader I can!
To be honest, the past few years have been rough for the Bandits...it’s been pretty demoralizing. Directors have been coming and going, students are dropping out, and competition scores have been lower than ever.
But all of that is about to change! This year, we're getting a new band director named Mr. Victor Wiley, a passionate alumni of Blue Mountain High School. I can tell he's determined to salvage the declining band program and take us to new heights when competition season arrives, just like I am!
For Band Camp this year, Mr. Wiley said we'll be going away to a literal camp in the middle of nowhere--to "focus on learning this year’s field show and attain the ultimate level of band bonding." Words cannot describe how much I’m looking forward to this! I’m going to use this precious time to grow as a leader and make tons more friends. After all, it’s a fresh new year filled with hope and opportunity.
I hope the band is ready to experience plenty of blood, sweat, and tears, because this is going to be a marching band season unlike any other!

-GAMEPLAY/FEATURES-

In Band Camp Boyfriend, the player’s choices will greatly influence day-to-day events, Cadence's leadership style, and her relationships with other characters. Eventually, her choices will determine which boy’s route the player ends up on.

FEATURES
-At least 7 Story Routes
-20+ Endings
-20+ Unique Sprites with a Wide Range of Personalities and Expressions
-At least 24 CGs
-Original Soundtrack
-Partial Voice Acting
-Unlockable Sidequest
-Band Geeks

STATS? - Stats will remain mostly hidden from the player as we would like the focus to be on the unfolding story. We believe stat systems should serve the story first and foremost, and will be using them behind the scenes to assist in creating the most authentic and engaging experience possible.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL - The game will be difficult enough that players have to use their heads when making decisions, especially in the latter half of the game. But it will not be so difficult that everyone will be absolutely required to use a walkthrough to reach all the true/good endings. There is some room for error. We're a bit traditional in the way that each character has one good or "true" end and one or more bad ends, with no "neutral" endings. However, we hope the bad endings will be satisfying in their own twisted way. They should be experiences players won't want to miss out on!

-CHARACTERS-

Each of the dateable guys is based on the popular personality stereotype of the instrument they play. For example, Peter the trumpeter has a huge ego and Clark the clarinetist is a no-nonsense perfectionist. There are many other personalities band musicians will recognize!

Sprites by FloraDrawz

-CG ILLUSTRATIONS PREVIEW-

Some CGs will have Light Animations. Check it out here!

-CURRENT DEVELOPMENT TIMELINE/PROGRESS-

We are aiming to release our full game in June 2020! Here is our current progress, broken down by asset...

The script will undergo a number of revisions over the next year, but here is the current progress on the draft for the full base game. As of October 2018, only Poptart's arc needs to be finished. Every other route is completely drafted and in the editing stage.

WRITING
Common Branch: 100%
Peter Arc: 100%
Clark Arc: 100%
Doug Arc: 100%
Garth Arc: 100%
Tom Arc: 100%
Samuel Arc: 100%
Poptart Arc: 100%
DLC: Draft Stage

SPRITES: 100%
CGS: 100%
BACKGROUNDS: 60%
GUI: 70%
MUSIC: 50%
PROGRAMMING: 80%

-STAFF-

CO-CREATORS/CO-DIRECTORS
Mello-Knight - Writer, Video Editor, Co-programmer, Character Design, VA (Felicity)

Xandra - Composer, Programmer, Co-writer, Character Design, VA (Sabrina)

ARTISTS
FloraDrawz - Character Artt

BunnyVoid - Background Art

Potouto - GUI & Logo Design

mayunnaise - Chibi Art

VOICE CAST
Joe Goffeney - Tom & Clark
Jonathan David Bullock - Peter
Devon Kay - Samuel
Jared Raman - Poptart
Richard Barcenas- Doug
Joseph Ryan - Garth
Mark Coutu - Victor Wiley
Emily Woolf - Susie
Melody Muze - Marian
Daisy Guevara - Alex
Daniel Acosta - Aaron
Lasli Tran - Olive

-RECRUITMENT-

We are not recruiting new staff members at this time but we will definitely have needs in the future. Check back periodically!

-FEEDBACK-

Don’t feel obligated to answer every question if you don’t always have something to say. :) Every bit of feedback matters!

1. What piqued your interest in this game? Are you/were you in band or do you play a musical instrument?

2. What do you think of the premise and setting?

3. What are your initial impressions of the dateable characters? Which one(s) stands out to you most, or which do you think you would pursue first?

4. What do you think of the protagonist?

5. Do you have any expectations?

6. Would you consider supporting the Kickstarter? Any particular rewards you'd like to see? (I have several ideas but want to see if anyone comes up with something I didn't think of. :P)

7. Any other questions, comments, suggestions or feedback?

Apologies for the length of this post; I still have work to do making some new graphics and streamlining things. :lol: Thanks so much for taking the time to check out our game and keep an eye out for more news!
Last edited by Xandra on Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 49 times in total.

Mysterious Friend
Completed: Winter Lover
itch: smud

Re: Band Camp Boyfriend [Otome] [GxB] [Romance, Comedy, Dram

#2 Post by Mysterious Friend »

lol I think I was immediately interested in this because I was apart of my school's band. Though it was not a marching band and those are uncommon here BUT STILL. I think the art is really cute and the premise sounds sweet. I definitely like Doug the most so far, but they all seem like really nice dudes. Good luck on the project! :) I'd love to see where this project goes
Artist on Winter Lover (a game created in 48 hours)

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#3 Post by potouto »

Woo ★ Hope you don't mind me stopping by and dropping a comment ★

1. What piqued your interest in this game? Are you/were you in band or do you play a musical instrument?

Band things aren't my things but the premise and the characters are super cute so I cannot help myself ( ⭐ v ⭐ ) Also, nyoom, the protagonist is very adorable ★

School band really isn't a thing where I come from so I can't draw any thoughts from experience. It's certainly lovely though, I have never seen one about summer camp for band before.

3. What are your initial impressions of the dateable characters? Which one(s) stands out to you most, or which do you think you would pursue first?

I like the dynamic on-going here, there seems to be a variety of characters to choose from and they all seem interesting. I must say, Poptart caught my attention the most ★ But my heart goes to characters like Clark, so we shall see, but I will play all routes of course, completionist blood :v

As mentioned before, she's adorable! I feel like she'll lead an interesting story to follow so I'm excited to play the game when it comes out ★

Hmm, I'm most looking forward to see the writing, I hope it will be fluffy and cute, not to mention humorous! I'm a die hard for good humor to be honest, I think it's mentioned that there'll be mystery and thriller so I hope the writing would work out well with that theme as well!

6. Any other questions, comments, or feedback?

Good luck with the game! Excited to see its release ★

yeah well | commission | website

Dark Sentinel
Regular
Completed: Five in Frills

#4 Post by Dark Sentinel »

I'm not even a fan of otome games, just an ex-musician. Dropped it, not my thing anymore. Just an orchestra, not a marching band though.

YES! Is this enough?
Like, I mean, I can't ignore this as a musician myself, and I sorta want to see how it turns out. How much realism would you put into this?

I guess I'm looking at them through my experience with other musicians with same instruments...
Tom: bro.
Peter: I don't trust you.
Clark: I can work with you as long as you don't get in my way.
Samuel: I don't like you. It's kinda personal, I don't trust those sax guys even in real life here.
"Poptart": little bro.
Doug: bro.
Garth: who are you to command me?
She's believable. Adorable.

As long as you succeed in releasing it, it's gonna be great.

6. Any other questions, comments, or feedback?
/me checks the roster once again
I sorta wonder if there is a BIG, BIG tubist at least amongst the supporting cast. Tuba is an instrument too big just to abandon it completely. Or one of it's relatives, like sousaphone or helicon.
Oh well.
Best luck with the production and release.
щ (ºДº ) щ

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

1. What piqued your interest in this game? Are you/were you in band or do you play a musical instrument?:
I play mallet percussion in my school band (and I am VERY TIRED of it). But yeah, having been in band for nearly 8 years, this caught my attention.

2. What do you think of the premise and setting?:
I love it.

3. What are your initial impressions of the dateable characters? Which one(s) stands out to you most, or which do you think you would pursue first?:
Tom is my freaking favorite. That quote is perfect, especially because most of our trombonists embody that stereotype pretty much perfectly.

4. What do you think of the protagonist?:
She's adorable, like people have been saying, and I admire her dedication. She seems like she'll be a fun MC. ^_^

5. Do you have any expectations?:
A cute, fun game, I guess? That shouldn't be too hard with your premise. c:

6. Any other questions, comments, or feedback?:
I'm so tempted to show this to my band director.

Xandra
Regular

#6 Post by Xandra »

lol I think I was immediately interested in this because I was apart of my school's band. Though it was not a marching band and those are uncommon here BUT STILL. I think the art is really cute and the premise sounds sweet. I definitely like Doug the most so far, but they all seem like really nice dudes. Good luck on the project! :) I'd love to see where this project goes
@Mysterious Friend - Thank you for your comments! Flora’s art is adorable, isn’t it? :) Most people I’ve pitched the game to seem drawn to the brass boys at first glance (Tom, Poptart, ...Peter though he's gotten mixed reviews xD) so it’s nice to see someone mention Doug for a change. Doug is special and I can’t wait for people to see him in action~
Woo ★ Hope you don't mind me stopping by and dropping a comment ★
@potouto - Of course I don’t mind! I'm thrilled you stopped by. I haven't gotten the chance to speak with you directly since you had been corresponding with my sister, but I love your logo more every time I see it! Thanks so much for working with us! Also, I’M SO HAPPY YOU LIKE CLARK! That boy needs more love, haha.
Hmm, I'm most looking forward to see the writing, I hope it will be fluffy and cute, not to mention humorous! I'm a die hard for good humor to be honest, I think it's mentioned that there'll be mystery and thriller so I hope the writing would work out well with that theme as well!
We consider humor to be one of our strongpoints as writers. We're huge fans of shows like The Office with character and situational driven humor, so expect lots of that! :wink:
YES! Is this enough?
Like, I mean, I can't ignore this as a musician myself, and I sorta want to see how it turns out. How much realism would you put into this?
@Dark Sentinel - Good question! It’s not typical for kids to go away for Band Camp, but we thought it would be more fresh and...adventurous? Than just holding band in a typical high school setting. There's also a lot more writing freedom and time for characters to interact with each other while living in close quarters in a focused area, rather than going back and forth between a school. I suppose there are a few other aspects of the plot that require players to suspend their disbelief a little, but generally it’s VERY true to real life marching band experience. And of course, we make an effort to create characters that seem like they could be real people.

Your list amused me! Now I'm curious what on Earth happened to make you so distrusting of saxophone and trumpet players, being a trumpet player myself. :lol: I’m thrilled people who don’t even play Otome games are showing interest in this. Even though that's the framework it's built upon with the character routes, there’s a lot more to it than romance.
I sorta wonder if there is a BIG, BIG tubist at least amongst the supporting cast. Tuba is an instrument too big just to abandon it completely. Or one of it's relatives, like sousaphone or helicon.
Rest assured our instrument representation is pretty darned solid. Our tuba player will be in our next update. Oh heck, I can't keep my mouth shut.
"Susie"
6. Any other questions, comments, or feedback?:
I'm so tempted to show this to my band director.
@Zelan - If you do, I would be very curious to know the reaction. xD And I promise we didn't forget about the mallet percussion players either.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and well wishes! Have a wonderful day!
Last edited by Xandra on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dark Sentinel
Regular

#7 Post by Dark Sentinel »

Your list amused me! Now I'm curious what on Earth happened to make you so distrusting of saxophone and trumpet players, being a trumpet player myself.
Eh.
I don't have anything against trumpeters.
Like, all the trumpeters I knew were bros, more or less. Fine, trusted, reliable guys. It's more like I don't trust personally Peter's huge ego.
All the sax players I knew (except one, him being a military musician) had their egos inflated beyond any sane limits. "I'm the sax God, and you all are dirt under my divine nails". They kept that attitude towards us brass section, each other, their teachers, conductor - everyone, so I don't trust them in real life.
"Susie"
:3
Hell.
If this wasn't an otome - or if suddenly it's GxG - I would be going for her. Absolutely. Too cool. Too smug. Too sousaphone. One love.
She's not even a bro. Okay updating list:
Susie: divine sister in arms, since I'm tubist myself.
(incoherent speech of awesome)
щ (ºДº ) щ

Mello-Knight
Regular
Tumblr: lovebirdgames

#8 Post by Mello-Knight »

I'm loving all of the feedback so far! Every time I see a new response, it brightens my day. <3
All the sax players I knew (except one, him being a military musician) had their egos inflated beyond any sane limits. "I'm the sax God, and you all are dirt under my divine nails". They kept that attitude towards us brass section, each other, their teachers, conductor - everyone, so I don't trust them in real life.
So with your dislike of people who play saxophone...one might say you are...a saxist.

Okay, that's going in the game.

Inferno

#9 Post by Inferno »

Hi, everyone. Inferno the concept artist here. I've known Xandra and Mello-Knight for ages, even long before our days in the same high school marching band. When they approached me with the initial game idea and asked if I wanted to make concept art, I jumped right on it. I'll certainly post my concept sketches and all kinds of other goodies in the future, most likely on tumblr if/when we get that set up.

It's great to see so many interested people! <3

Xandra
Regular

Re: Band Camp Boyfriend [Otome] [GxB] [Romance, Comedy] [UPD

#10 Post by Xandra »

Hey hey everybody! I've updated the main post with a brand new CG from Flora, as well as images and profiles of our Supporting Characters!
"You saxists!"
So WOO. Check em' out. In other news:

*Just want to take the time to mention that our Casting Calls on BTVA and CCC will be closing in less than two weeks. We got a little excited and cast the female characters already since we felt we found the perfect voices for those roles. But all the male roles will remain open until June 10th. We've received a lot of stellar auditions and we're SO excited to cast the rest of the characters, but we're keeping an open mind until the deadline. ^^ Links to both casting calls can be found in the main post.

*Last but not least, WELCOME MAYUNNAISE TO THE BAND CAMP BOYFRIEND STAFF! She is our new Chibi Artist and she's doing a fabulous job! Here's a preview:
Last edited by Xandra on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Sentinel
Regular

#11 Post by Dark Sentinel »

Yay, I guess?
Mr. Wiley: I'm watching you carefully, sir. I sorta wonder how you turn out, so I'm not commenting on you. Would you be like the conductors I knew or no?..
Bandit: Please go away, I don't have any items of interest.
Susie: Sister in arms, because the divine made it so.
Felicity: Attention you say? Fine, you're receiving none, we're here to work, not to... er... "attention".
Marian: Tough work, sis. Want me to buy you some vodka bring you some coffee?
Alex: Just tell me honestly, you're here to drive me mad? Oh, you are. Great.
"You saxists!"
Well awch, that stings.

But so far the supporting cast looks solid. Just awesome. Looking forward for more updates and good luck.
щ (ºДº ) щ

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#12 Post by potouto »

I'm dying because I like Alex more than Peter and that's just...wait, do I have a thing for cute young boys. Maybe. But he's adorable, what a brat I'm going to pinch his cheeks. Other characters in supporting cast look great as well. I actually like Felicity and Marian, I love diva type of characters, especially those with depth. Marian is basically the female example of my favourite trope so of course she catches my eyes. Great job so far! Cheering for you guys <33

yeah well | commission | website

Xandra
Regular

#13 Post by Xandra »

Mr. Wiley: I'm watching you carefully, sir. I sorta wonder how you turn out, so I'm not commenting on you. Would you be like the conductors I knew or no?..
@Dark Sentinel Aghhh you got me curious about your band director...story time? :]
Alex: Just tell me honestly, you're here to drive me mad? Oh, you are. Great.
The sax god has arrived. ;)

I'm dying because I like Alex more than Peter and that's just...wait, do I have a thing for cute young boys. Maybe. But he's adorable, what a brat I'm going to pinch his cheeks.

@potouto
I swear I'll stop treating this place like a tumblr blog once we get the dang tumblr going.
Last edited by Xandra on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#14 Post by minyan »

Oh man all those beautiful sprites! I've gotta say I'm most interested in Clark because I have a weakness for the no-nonsense types. >w< Good luck with this you guys.

To answer a few of the questions, I was never in band but so many of my friends were, and they were constantly making band 'in' jokes and talking about how great it was. I was a choir girl xD I'm not usually a fan of high school settings, but I guess what drew me was the idea of focusing on one particular aspect of high school, i.e band, and having it be a major part of the plot, rather than just 'well we're in high school, yup, that's a thing'.

If I see the kick starter around in the future I'll definitely help out!
ImageImage

Mello-Knight
Regular
Tumblr: lovebirdgames

#15 Post by Mello-Knight »

Oh man all those beautiful sprites! I've gotta say I'm most interested in Clark because I have a weakness for the no-nonsense types. >w< Good luck with this you guys.

To answer a few of the questions, I was never in band but so many of my friends were, and they were constantly making band 'in' jokes and talking about how great it was. I was a choir girl xD I'm not usually a fan of high school settings, but I guess what drew me was the idea of focusing on one particular aspect of high school, i.e band, and having it be a major part of the plot, rather than just 'well we're in high school, yup, that's a thing'.

If I see the kick starter around in the future I'll definitely help out!
I'm SO happy that Clark is getting some love! He's one of my favorites. I was worried everyone would bypass him since he looks so unfriendly.

Yeah, there are plenty of high school dating sims out there already. Focusing on a particular niche will hopefully help us stand out more and appeal to lots of "band kids" haha. :)

Thank you so much! <3 We really appreciate it!