Looking for a programmer and artists for a VN project

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Looking for a programmer and artists for a VN project

#1 Post by Taleweaver »

The title basically says it all: I have an idea for an unusual visual novel, but as I suck at Ren'Py and even worse at art, I'm looking for a programmer and an artist (at the very least) to bring this idea to life. I'm willing to provide all of the story and write all of the text, but I'm open to ideas as far as the plot is concerned if any who join the project would like to contribute to that part too.

Anyone interested? The project would be titled "Foxtaile" (not a typo ^^).
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#2 Post by rioka »

I would love to help but I can't accept at the moment, unfortunately. Your project sounds intriguing, btw. Foxtaile, huh? Hmmmm...

Wish you all the best, and hey, if you get a team together soon, maybe you guys can join us for IntRenAiMo or NaNoRenO. ;D
Last edited by rioka on Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Looking for a programmer and artists for a VN project

#3 Post by PyTom »

Taleweaver wrote:The title basically says it all: I have an idea for an unusual visual novel, but as I suck at Ren'Py and even worse at art, I'm looking for a programmer and an artist (at the very least) to bring this idea to life.
If you're willing to write the script in a basic Ren'Py format (say, just say, show, scene, menu, label, and jump statements), I can help by providing all of the code needed to declare characters and images.

I can't help with the art, however, as my extremely meager art skills are overtaxed by my own projects.

esperknight

#4 Post by esperknight »

Hey, I'd be willing to help ya out with the programming. If your still looking either email me at esperknight@yahoo.com or contact me via msn (esperknyte@hotmail.com) or aim (EsperKnyte).

EK

Samples of my work : http://ClearWind.web1000.com (and yes the engine is no long in VB ;) )

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

Re: Looking for a programmer and artists for a VN project

#5 Post by Taleweaver »

PyTom wrote: If you're willing to write the script in a basic Ren'Py format (say, just say, show, scene, menu, label, and jump statements), I can help by providing all of the code needed to declare characters and images.
Hmmm.... I guess I could TRY to do that... Ren'Py is simple enough for me to understand, though it's going to be a bit of a drag... I'm used to writing fiction, so I'd probably be writing all the text and then formatting it to fit into Ren'Py. Would take me a few days to figure out if I can work this way, though... I'll get back to you.
Hey, I'd be willing to help ya out with the programming. If your still looking either email me at esperknight@yahoo.com or contact me via msn (esperknyte@hotmail.com) or aim (EsperKnyte).
Yup, more in the mail.
More about me in my blog

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

TW>> Welcome aboard, harrr....

I'd have to encourage you to perhaps reconsider giving RenPy a try - to tell the truth before I made my first game I spent almost a year looking for ways to have an engine. I tried HTML, I tried several game-makers and I put quite a lot of time into learning those programs (before I realized they were not suited well and so on) until I found something that suited me. I understand if you don't have time, but it's really good when you are in total control of at least two main game elements. *encourage, encourage*

EDIT: heh, you posted before me, so... good luck with Ren'Py then!

Foxtaile... is that fantasy?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Yup, it's fantasy, though I won't disclose anything about the plot so far. As with "Metropolitan Blues", I've tried to approach the VN genre from an unusual angle, though. I CAN give away that the game has a female protagonist, for example.

As for Ren'Py... there are a few things I can't get to work the way I want them to with Ren'Py, so anything that spares me from having to code around a fictional text would be great. I WILL give it a try if someone agrees to do the artwork - if nobody does it, the project is dead anyway.
More about me in my blog

qq
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate- BG artist

#8 Post by qq »

TW your project sound very interesting. I like to do the art, but I can't program. My art isn't terribly good, but I like to help. I'll post some examples here, later.

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#9 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

mikey wrote: I tried HTML, I tried several game-makers and I put quite a lot of time into learning those programs (before I realized they were not suited well and so on)

There is a similar...no, TWO similar engines that use HTML-like language for script...

My engine (CWDS-engine V.3.x) and DNML (A Japanese engine, little antiquated, but good).

While the former is still in the works, DNML has certainly established itself for over some...what? 3? 5 years?
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#10 Post by Taleweaver »

qq wrote:TW your project sound very interesting. I like to do the art, but I can't program. My art isn't terribly good, but I like to help. I'll post some examples here, later.
Maybe you could just give me a link or two to examples of your work?
More about me in my blog

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

Yang Sei Fu wrote:[
There is a similar...no, TWO similar engines that use HTML-like language for script...

My engine (CWDS-engine V.3.x) and DNML (A Japanese engine, little antiquated, but good).
I'm kinda curious, from a day-job programming language researcher point of view, how you handle things like branching and variables in an engine that uses HTML/XML as its main input format. Do you have things like goto and label tags, or is it something different?

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#12 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

Like the AVG engine (Kanon, AIR etc.), the script files are on separate files, and the last line of each script file with choices are equipped with a JUMP or CHOICE code to go into separate directions.

As for DNML...
They use HTML's Link anchor and bookmark system. So choices are like A HREF=somewhere and somewhere else they will have A NAME=somewhere.

Simple enough.
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

qq
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate- BG artist

#13 Post by qq »

Here are some samples of my art, my pencil are better though.
BG
Girl
couple
BG

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#14 Post by Taleweaver »

qq: if you're satisfied with being a background artist, I might have a job for you. To be frank, the way you draw characters just isn't my cup of tea, but that last landscape pic had a rather good mood. Do you think you could draw a recognizable bamboo forest?
More about me in my blog

RedSlash
Veteran

#15 Post by RedSlash »

Sounds interesting. You sure you can't give a summary or overview of the plot? I'd like to help, but I've been busy these days, currently on a break, and will be busy again starting next week.