Stat-raising games!

For the rest of your otaku life.
n0tgin
Regular

Stat-raising games!

#1 Post by n0tgin »

Like the title says, this thread is about stat-raising games. Specifically, your favourites (or any that sound interesting/that you know of tbh, I love them!). I've played a good chunk of the ones available and am looking for more!

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Stat-raising games!

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

I personally think Long Live the Queen is one of the best stat-raising games out there. I know some people don't like it because the stats can get *really* complicated and it's quite hard to avoid a bad ending, but I think it handles stats a lot better than other games in the genre do. I love that it always shows you which stat it was checking, that there are usually several ways to get through something with different stats, and that it can sometimes be helpful to be close to the stat you needed even if you're not quite there. I can't remember all the specifics exactly, but for instance, there's a point where you can get shot by an arrow. Dexterity or something might help you totally dodge it, or battlefield medicine might help you patch yourself up and still survive if you get hit. Or you might not have quite a high enough battlefield medicine stat to totally recover, but you'll at least make an effort to do something about the wound, as opposed to not knowing what to do if you don't have any battlefield medicine at all. In too many other VNs with stat-raising elements, you might miss an opportunity because a stat is too low without even realizing it, and it won't make a bit of difference if you were only a point or two lower than you needed. Or your stats won't really come up as specific knowledge you use in the story - it will just be something like "the nerdy love interest will date you if you have a high intelligence stat". It can get really annoying and doesn't feel very immersive at all.
ImageImageImage

Mikomi
Veteran

#3 Post by Mikomi »

I'm not too big into stat-raising games, but I did enjoy Long Live the Queen- it was simple-ish for someone like me to understand, and got me hooked for a while, not to mention the cute art. I think the art and the fact it was made on Ren'Py are what drew me into it and made me want to buy it in the first place.

abby
Regular
Projects: Memento Amori

#4 Post by abby »

I agree with the others, Long Live the Queen. It was one of the first VNs I played, and I loved it. The art was great, and I liked how it was not super easy to get a good end. It required a lot more thinking than some other games.
Be sure to follow us on twitter
https://twitter.com/MementoAmorivn

barefootchuck39
Deviantart: barefootchuck

#5 Post by barefootchuck39 »

tales of berseria. jrpg. the way stats are influenced and increased depend on the weapon choice, weaponry mastery skills, title skills and special item skills. its a bit too detailed to elaborate, recommend going to gamefaq to check guides.

true, not really a game focusing on "stat-raising", but is an important element of this game, or rather all Tales of games.