Gaming Questions

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
MoonlightBomber
Regular
Completed: Gravure: A Super Network Wars Prelude, Nothing Happened series
Projects: Deadline, upcoming NaNoRenO 2020 project
Tumblr: moonlightbomber
Deviantart: moonlightbomber
itch: dagitabsoft

Re: Gaming Questions

#16 Post by MoonlightBomber »

1. Conquering most, if not all, of the hidden bosses in the RPG's I've played.
2. I don't remember it exactly, but when I played the MegaMan games (Classic and X in particular) I always try not to fall into bottomless pits and spikes. But sometimes, lack of concentration gets the best of me, and I fall into those vile traps (that's why I couldn't finish MegaMan X8 until now -- darn those spikes in Sigma's Palace!)
3. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Genesis). Uninteresting gameplay. Period.
Korina Sanchez: Ex-sensei Mel, we've met again.
Mel Tiangco: I'm expecting this from my former student.
Korina Sanchez: I know all along the reason for your presence.
Mel Tiangco: Of course. Your hairbrush.
Korina Sanchez: Snatch it again? Well, you're mistaken. It's because my hairbrush's container is packed with security features. What's your say?
Mel Tiangco: If you can do security... (pause) then 120% of my strength will shatter it!

Excerpt from Super Network Wars Omega: Suikoden Pilipinas

Fawkes - Feathered Melody
Regular

#17 Post by Fawkes - Feathered Melody »

ML wrote:I'm assuming there are quite a few gamers here. I came across a couple of game related questions, so I thought I'd share them here:

- What's your greatest/nerdiest achievement in a video game?
One credit clearing Perfect Cherry Blossom on normal mode. Barely.
- What's the dumbest thing you did in a video game?
Smash Brothers Melee. Stage is Final Destination. Everyone plays Ganondorf. Set items to red shells at high appearance rate. Starting damage is 300%. Hilarity ensues.
- What's the worst game you ever played?
Not a bad game per se but sorely disappointing was Star Fox Adventures on the Gamecube.
Writer / Programmer
Crows Project: Released 12/15/07
Noctua: In Development. Demo 3 released.
Project Silk Road: Planning/Story Construction
"Live while awake. Live while dreaming."
We have a [new] website again!

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Showsni »

I don't know whether to count this as "stupidity" or "bad game." When I was younger, I bought a second hand American Football game for my SNES. Now, I know nothing about American Football. It's all very well knowing how which buttons to press, but all I know of the game itself was "it's a bit like rugby, right?" So I could sometimes do okay on the training bit, I think. But had no idea how to play the game. And it stopped for no reason I could see every 20 seconds or so, whilst the men all ran to different positions... I traded it for a tennis game. There's a proper sport. Plus I know how to play tennis.

Co-op games can be fun for doing silly things. Goof Troops on the SNES has a good co-op mode, but you can throw things at your partner if they aren't ready to catch or kick blocks into them. And if you kick a block at them, not only does it really annoy them by stunning them for a bit, but the block is destroyed and you need blocks for some rooms - have to do the old out-and-in-again. Or you can run and take the good items, so you've got the hookshot and they're stuck with the bell. Heehee.

One achievement I've completed is buying and completing all three CDi Zelda games. In fact, I've completed nearly every Zelda game - except for the BS ones, Four Swords and the Game and Watch. And the Game Watch. And I'm only partway through F-PTRR still.

And of course, you always have to try stupid things like killing everyone in games like Baldur's Gate II... The developers even made a joke about in in Throne of Bhaal, with the "Bondari reloads" bit.

Jake
Support Hero

#19 Post by Jake »

Showsni wrote:And it stopped for no reason I could see every 20 seconds or so, whilst the men all ran to different positions... I traded it for a tennis game. There's a proper sport. Plus I know how to play tennis.
American Football is a proper sport. It just has more odd rules than a lodge of Freemasons glued to a three-year game of Nomic. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#20 Post by Blue123 »

I can't think of many nerdy achievements really...

But I do remember in Battlefield 1942, on the Omaha beach level, I was playing as the allies and managed to get the destroyer stuck on the seabed. So all the axis players just shot at us and we sunk. And lost.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#21 Post by Der Tor »

Nerdiest achievement:

i used to be a gamer only in my childhood. I was about nine and back than the long awaited SNES came out and you could test play it in the stores. So we told the younger kids who didn't have an SNES at their homes that they would get a hundred lives if they would push the big button with the word reset on it. And since a 6 year old german kid naturaly has no idea what "reset" means - it worked great. They would allways fall for it and than become so frustrated, that they would stop playing, ginving away the SNES to me :mrgreen:

M12
Veteran

#22 Post by M12 »

Der Tor wrote:Nerdiest achievement:

i used to be a gamer only in my childhood. I was about nine and back than the long awaited SNES came out and you could test play it in the stores. So we told the younger kids who didn't have an SNES at their homes that they would get a hundred lives if they would push the big button with the word reset on it. And since a 6 year old german kid naturaly has no idea what "reset" means - it worked great. They would allways fall for it and than become so frustrated, that they would stop playing, ginving away the SNES to me :mrgreen:
XD! Hm, I might have to try that with the PS3 =)...

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by gekiganwing »

Jake said, "[American Football] just has more odd rules than a lodge of Freemasons glued to a three-year game of Nomic." Indeed. I don't understand "holding penalties" at all, much less why certain penalties result in a 5 yard loss versus a 10 yard loss. Also, you honestly don't want to be seated in an outdoor stadium during winter months.

So when I go to a Super Bowl party in two weeks with friends, I'm planning to set up another television with a video game system capable of using modern games and classics. Tecmo Bowl might be better than the real thing. :lol:

Back on topic... the first question was "What's your greatest/nerdiest achievement in a video game?" For me, the *nerdiest* thing I did would be investing over 90 hours on the first disc of Dragon Warrior 7. I wanted to like that game so much, but it just wouldn't like me back. Worse-than-16-bit graphics, annoying characters, a morose and dry story, and worst of all, the game required that the player search every corner to find objects needed to advance the story. So if anyone's tempted to play it, just get Dragon Quest 6 or Chrono Trigger instead.

Second only to that would be the time I finished Rampage for the NES and thought I'd get an interesting ending. Nope, it was just a conversion of a quarter-munching arcade game.

#2 was "What's the dumbest thing you did in a video game?" That's easy. Try to aim for a good ending in Suikoden 5 without a strategy guide. That was a decent RPG, and perhaps only the second one in the series that I found honestly enjoyable. But uncovering its secrets required a lot of searching and guesswork. And since it had glacial pacing, it required a lot of patience.

Non-RPG stupidity: I've made lots of mistakes in Worms Armageddon. Mostly involving jumping in pits and blowing up myself.

Finally, #3 - "What's the worst game you ever played?" Paladin's Quest, also known as Lennus. That game was appalling. Graphics that looked like a bad imitation of the Beatles' Yellow Submarine. Mediocre music. A cast of instantly forgettable characters. An infuriating battle system in which the heroes used their own HP to inflict more damage. The story dragged and dragged. And y'know what? For some weird reason, I actually finished the game. I don't know why either.

Worst non-RPG... Baseball for Gameboy. A typical bad system launch title. Vaguely similar to real baseball, but much slower. No interesting features either.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#24 Post by Blue Lemma »

Greatest/dorkiest gaming moment: Getting 102% in DKC 2 (yeah, I'm not very hardcore)
edit: I take it back - finishing up Shoujo Attack!, how much more nerdy can you get than creating a game? ;p

Most embarrassing gaming moment: Actually playing Rumble Roses :p

Worst game: Quest 64! GRRRRR! I paid 60 bucks for that thing, and then it turned out you needed a memory pack, too, which was another 20! And I was but a poor middle school student :( I never beat the game, and I don't think I've ever bought another THQ game again.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by musical74 »

I remember Quest 64 <never played it, but heard about it> It seemed like a cheap trick *oh, you need to fork out $80 for a game*....never mind most kids don't have $80 laying around....

Regarding the nrediest thing ever done....does spending all day at a local arcade count?

I remembered another game I really did NOT care for was the original TMNT for the NES....
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#26 Post by Hyperguy »

- What's your greatest/nerdiest achievement in a video game?
Tie: Killing the dragon boss in Phantasy Star Online as a level 1 FOnewearl without taking a single hit.
Defeating MechaSonic in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Genesis in 14 seconds.
In World of Warcraft, I went all the way to Stormwind(one of the Alliance's major cities) to slap their king in the face after a level 40 human warrior(a player) killed an apprentice weaponsmith(an NPC) in Brill. Probably one of the single most retarded/glorious things I've done in a video game recently. My entire guild was cheering me on the whole time, and I by the time I reached the throne room Alliance had gangs of level 70s ready to protect their king. Needless to say, I was massacred outright but not before delivering several slaps to their disgraceful king.
Bartman vs. The World for the Nintendo Entertainment System

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#27 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

lol, ok then. I guess I'll do this one.

-Geeky achievement
Bouncing a frag grenade off a man's head (killing him), having it roll off the balcony onto the enemy team below.

Game: Call Of Duty 4
Mode: Hardcore Team Deathmatch
Map: Showdown

-Most embarrasing

Yelling "FRAG OUT!" Tossing the frag only to have it bounce off the wall and hit me in the crotch, sending me into last stand as i then shot a teammate by accident shortly before the 'nade detonated

Game: Call Of Duty 4
Mode: Hardcore Team Deathmatch
Map: Vacant

-Worst Game
Ok i have 2 candidates for this one....

first is Delta Flyer (i think). It was a modern air combat game for the Dreamcast. The disc was defective and it took SEVEN DIFFERENT DISCS before i was able to actually able to beat the game. The gameplay was Okay (i guess) but the difference in aircraft was speed ONLY. no handling.

Star Trek: Tactical Assault
The gameplay is slow
NO FRIGGEN Z AXIS
Warping is a painfully difficult finger manouver.
Weapons are unbalanced
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png

JFate

#28 Post by JFate »

What's your greatest/nerdiest achievement in a video game?

-In WindWaker, when looking for the TriForce pieces, didn't think of using the map, just sailed for hours trying to find random columns of light....THAT COULD BE ANYWHERE IN THE FREAKISHLY BIG MAP ^^; .

-Phantasy star Universe...auck repetitive and annoyign battle system and they story, saw what's happening a mile away that it's annoying.

renkenjutsu
Regular

#29 Post by renkenjutsu »

Geeky achievement: I made a Jedi that never uses any Force powers in Knights of the Old Republic (the Guardians are dumb that way).

Embarrassment: Lasting 2 seconds in Conter Strike.

Stupid game: DiRT. Don't bother looking it up. It's that bad.
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...

RidleyWright
Regular
Projects: Blue Moon

#30 Post by RidleyWright »

renkenjutsu wrote: Stupid game: DiRT. Don't bother looking it up. It's that bad.
One might say the game lives up to the name. xD Sorry, bad joke, I'm aware. :'<

Nerdiest Achievement - Collecting 180 Emblems in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle / Collecting 249 Pokémons in Pokémon Gold (those were the times).

Dumbest thing - I'm sure there's a lot, but I can't recall any situation worth to mention. Well, in Super Mario Galaxy there's that gravity thing, so once there was this plain edge, so I tried to see what there was on the other side, and ended up falling for good (turns out there was no gravity there).

Worst game - Chameleon (Nintendo 64)