Way up High [BxB] [Fantasy/Drama] [Yaoi Game Jam 2017]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular
Projects: Tag Dogs
Tumblr: cirrocumulus-cloud

Way up High [BxB] [Fantasy/Drama] [Yaoi Game Jam 2017]

#1 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Plot

For what are feathers, if not tools that write history.

Bailey, a mechanic in the countryside finds a young angel who has fallen from Heaven in his fields.
His child, Sage, and the boy quickly become friends, though it is evident that Luc will never fly again.
It took Bailey years to build what could be the world's first airplane - and now his dream is only a pair of broken wings away.

As history gets written with every plucked feather, Sage finds himself in the middle of something far bigger than he anticipated.
But one thing is clear: He will give everything to see Luc fly again.

Way up High is a story of drama, of friendship, love and of how a single feather of kindness can weigh more than stones filled with hatred.
Created for the Yaoi Game Jam 2017 on itch.io!

Features

- two story endings
- three character endings
- six ending scenes dependent on story and character endings
- multiple poses
- at least two outfits for each character
- at least five CG's
- a way to determine Sage's personality (Kind and Shy; Bold and Hotheaded; Calm and Calculated)

Development Team

Just me, Cirro!

Characters

Sage
The protagonist and son of Bailey. Sage shares the dream to fly one day as much as his father, but would never bury his morals to achieve it.
He is an avid lover of angels, as they are the most beautiful beings that exist in folklore and literature.

Bailey
Sage's father. A mechanic who tries to scrape by, with a wish to change the world.
Bailey is a kind man, though one who tosses away his morals for his own personal gain.

Luc
A young angel who fell from Heaven. Luc is a bit of a scaredy cat, but a bright and happy person with no ill will in his bones.
He can be mischivious at times and quickly becomes friends with Sage.

Lailah
A scary looking man with a motherly personality who often proclaims to be Sage's personal protector.
Lailah is a guardian angel who tries his hardest to change fate for Sage's benefit.

Progress:

Outline: 30%
Script: 0%
Character Design: 20%
Sprites: 0%
CG's: 0%
Music: 0%
Backgrounds: 0%

Questions:

1. Does the premise sound interesting?
2. Any questions as of yet?
Last edited by Cirrocumulus-Cloud on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

Re: Way up High [BxB] [Fantasy/Drama] [Yaoi Game Jam 2017]

#2 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Updates:

03.07.2017:

Little WiP of Luc as a child. =) The game will show Luc and Sage as children as well as adults.
I hope that even through this pretty barebones WiP you can see what kind of visual style the game will have.

- finished pose 1, outfit 1 for child Luc (wings, broken wings, two different hand positions)
- wrote 20% of the prologue
-> next up is pose 1 for Sage, will probably change Luc's hair though since I'm not happy with it

- sketched the first pose for Sage
- wrote some more for the Prologue, around 500 words I guess

- almost done with Sage's child pose 1
- made a very temporary logo, just so I have SOMETHING at all
Last edited by Cirrocumulus-Cloud on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#3 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I was hooked from the premise, especially because of the presence of Bailey (YAY parents in stories! I hope he doesn't die or something), but then I also got interested in the part where you can decide Sage's personality. To clear things up, is this Sage's pov? :'o The game, I mean. Do we decide as we go along his pov or is it decided in a possibly-Bailey's-pov prologue or something of that sort?

Luc looks adorable by the way!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#4 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Ghost of Crux wrote:I was hooked from the premise, especially because of the presence of Bailey (YAY parents in stories! I hope he doesn't die or something), but then I also got interested in the part where you can decide Sage's personality. To clear things up, is this Sage's pov? :'o The game, I mean. Do we decide as we go along his pov or is it decided in a possibly-Bailey's-pov prologue or something of that sort?

Luc looks adorable by the way!
Aww thank you for the nice comment! Parents in stories are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. I LOVE parent-child dynamics so, so much. There's so much potential there and you can portray so many grey areas! (And since my own relationship with my parents is as great as it can be it's something I love to focus on.)

I love the ability to have the main character be someone you can mold to your own desires while still remaining a character with ambitions. I want the reader to be able to identify with Sage, so he can be a multitude of different personalities (though the game will define him as one of three, since his personality effects the story). His dreams (being able to fly) and relationships (Luc as someone important to him, Bailey being a strong influence) are semi-set in stone though. You can mold those a bit, but not entirely.

The Prologue will be from Bailey's POV. All the other chapters (and decision making) will be read through the eyes of Sage. =)

Thank you! I'll update every day considering this is a 1-month-challenge. It will be good to see how much I can do on certain days. ^-^

timepatches
Regular
Completed: When Aster Falls; Were|House; DemiDato: Monster Dating Show; Grand-Nya
Projects: The Bat-Chelor
Organization: Sad Ghost Studios
Tumblr: sadghoststudios
itch: Sad Ghost Studios

#5 Post by timepatches »

Eee quick post to say I adore this concept!! Can't wait to see it done (will be stalking this thread avidly ;w; )
ImageImage Image

★☆ currently: DEMIDATO RELEASED MARCH 14 \ *°▽°* /
i appreciate honest critique!

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#6 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

timepatches wrote:Eee quick post to say I adore this concept!! Can't wait to see it done (will be stalking this thread avidly ;w; )
Thank you so much! I very much adore the concept myself. (Drawing angel wings is so much fun!)

Update:

- finished pose 1, outfit 1 for child Luc (wings, broken wings, two different hand positions)
- wrote 20% of the prologue
-> next up is pose 1 for Sage, will probably change Luc's hair though since I'm not happy with it

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#7 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Cirrocumulus-Cloud wrote:Aww thank you for the nice comment! Parents in stories are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. I LOVE parent-child dynamics so, so much. There's so much potential there and you can portray so many grey areas! (And since my own relationship with my parents is as great as it can be it's something I love to focus on.)

I love the ability to have the main character be someone you can mold to your own desires while still remaining a character with ambitions. I want the reader to be able to identify with Sage, so he can be a multitude of different personalities (though the game will define him as one of three, since his personality effects the story). His dreams (being able to fly) and relationships (Luc as someone important to him, Bailey being a strong influence) are semi-set in stone though. You can mold those a bit, but not entirely.

The Prologue will be from Bailey's POV. All the other chapters (and decision making) will be read through the eyes of Sage. =)

Thank you! I'll update every day considering this is a 1-month-challenge. It will be good to see how much I can do on certain days. ^-^

YAYAY! Parent-children dynamics are such underutilized tools in writing in general, tbh. Especially VNs. It's really great to see the effects of such thing when they're actually, you know, there instead of "parent not there, focus on friendship/romance". I'm really excited now! Bailey's presence would probably affect Sage on his quest, and I'm really curious how it'll all unfold knowing that!

I see! That sounds good :'D Prologue being from Bailey's POV can definitely be a good character-defining section.

I hope to see this project finished one way or the other! Good luck!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#8 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Ghost of Crux wrote:YAYAY! Parent-children dynamics are such underutilized tools in writing in general, tbh. Especially VNs. It's really great to see the effects of such thing when they're actually, you know, there instead of "parent not there, focus on friendship/romance". I'm really excited now! Bailey's presence would probably affect Sage on his quest, and I'm really curious how it'll all unfold knowing that!

I see! That sounds good :'D Prologue being from Bailey's POV can definitely be a good character-defining section.

I hope to see this project finished one way or the other! Good luck!
Ugh, I know. Whenever I see Slice of Life/School Visual Novels I just PRAY for great parental figures. But no. They are conveniently on a 'business trip', 'on vacation' or just straight up dead. o_o

I hope people will like Bailey! He's so much fun to write for and I love his role in the story, even though - or rather because - he is such a grey character. Then again, every character in this visual novel is grey and all of them have pretty fatal flaws. Which is what makes defining Sage's personality so cool, I think, since his fatal flaw changes depending on his personality type and influences the story.

The game itself is planned in 4 Acts and I hope to finish at least the first 2 this month! I think it's definitely possible~ Act 1 is Bailey's POV, so basically just the Prologue. Act 2 is Sage's childhood and the stage where the player determines his personality through choices that they make. Act 3 is Sage's adulthood, with a fixed personality (although you can still choose how to react somewhat, these choices are more to give the player further freedom over how their Sage should be, they do not affect the ending though), where his actions define how the plot unravels and this stage determines the story ending. Act 4 is the ending section, made up of character ending (Sage's personality, basically), story ending and the scene that happens due to the two different achieved endings.

I hope the game becomes rather replayable due to it, as the game has 6 different endings in total. And it has some filler choices that do not affect the ending, but get mentioned later on in the story. Say, for example, you have a scene where Sage can decide to watch the sunset with Luc or go to a pub with him. Luc will reminisce on what they did later on in the story, without it affecting the overall ending. I think this gives the player a lot of freedom, makes them bond in their own way with Luc AND gives them further reason to replay a Sage that is completely different from the one they played before.

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#9 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Sorry for the lack of updates. Personal problems need my attention right now, so time to work on this project is currently almost nonexistent. =(

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#10 Post by Ertal77 »

:( I hope you get them solved soon!

The premise of this game is really interesting, so even if you must put aside for a while, I hope you come back to it when you have the time again.
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#11 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Ertal77 wrote::( I hope you get them solved soon!

The premise of this game is really interesting, so even if you must put aside for a while, I hope you come back to it when you have the time again.
I hope so too! I will know more tomorrow, hope things turn out as good as they can~

Thank you! Currently I don't have the time to draw, but I write down little notes and ideas throughout the day. Worked some more on the Prologue, too.

I hope people will end up liking my rather flow-y way of writing. So to give a sneak peak, here's the start of the Prologue, from Bailey's POV. It starts with Luc's fall from Heaven, which Bailey slowly begins to notice.

Feathers fall, freshly freed. They tumble from the sky as though their grace is untouchable. Yet they hit the ground all the same, become mortal as the grass embraces them with a nightly welcome. All I planned to do was say goodnight to the world. To speak with my breath during these chilly spring evenings, as though a single word could cause the heavens to crash down on me.

So I do not utter a word. Just my fingers stretch out, away from the pipe that blows smoke like a warning signal into the sky. They brush against one white feather, feel freedom against their skin. How I wish to soar through the sky. And yet this gift to my feet could fly away with the smallest of Mother Earth's whispers. Tonight, though, she remains silent. Leaves the instruments alone, lets the first cicadas of the year play for her instead. And in between this musical, there is only me and my pipe. The fields around me, lush with green streaks of nature, become a stage for a man who wishes for nothing but to leave the ground behind. Yet I cannot, and so I simply close my eyes and think of a time when I stood here beside a now lost tragedy.

This body that I call my own thus grabs the wooden wonder again and I take a breath as the silence around me surrenders to a scream.