Exit/Corners [Mystery] [Puzzle] [Free] - Ep. 8 Now Available

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Percon
Regular

Exit/Corners [Mystery] [Puzzle] [Free] - Ep. 8 Now Available

#1 Post by Percon »

Five strangers find themselves trapped in an abandoned hotel that’s set to collapse in 24 hours.
To escape alive, they'll have to solve their captor’s riddles and unravel the mystery behind their abduction.
Trailer:

Screenshots:
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
A word from me
Hey, LSF! This is an episodic game I’ve been working on for… well, for far too long, if I’m going to be honest. But, hey, the first arc is done! I hope you all enjoy it.
Episodes are short - around 20 minutes each, maybe - but new episodes are released every week. For the first week of release, new episodes are released every day.
The first arc is a 17-episode series, with new episodes released every week until September 17th of this year.
I’m happy to answer any questions you all might have.

Play Exit/Corners

Play on the official site: http://exitcorners.com/play.html
More Useful Links

Troubleshooting
If you’re having trouble with some aspect of the game, please let me know on social media (reddit or twitter) - it’s the fastest way to get in touch with me.

Oh, and if you’d like to report a bug (oh, the bugs), the subreddit is a good place for that, too.
UPDATE: 1.0.2 is out now; includes some minor fixes. Details here: http://bit.ly/2u6pGlO
Last edited by Percon on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

schivafrecce
Regular
Completed: BLACK
Projects: /!\Work in progress/!\
itch: schivafrecce

Re: Exit/Corners [Mystery] [Puzzle] [Free]

#2 Post by schivafrecce »

This was very interesting. I'll look forward to next week for a new riddle :)

Percon
Regular

Re: Exit/Corners [Mystery] [Puzzle] [Free]

#3 Post by Percon »

schivafrecce wrote:This was very interesting. I'll look forward to next week for a new riddle :)
Hey, thanks for playing! As a heads-up, for the first week, there's a new episode every day, so you can check back tomorrow for a new episode.

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

Re: Exit/Corners [Mystery] [Puzzle] [Free] - Eps. 1-7 Availa

#4 Post by Kinjo »

I wanted to play more than one episode before laying out my thoughts, so I went and played through the whole first week's worth of episodes. Honestly I'd play each one as soon as the clock hit midnight because I just wanted to see what happens next!

TL;DR: I'm waiting with great anticipation for the next episodes (waiting a whole week now for each one is gonna be killer, no pun intended)!
First thing's first -- I really love the music. Especially how every song kinda has that same theme in it if you listen closely. It's also nice just to listen to when you're thinking about how to solve the puzzles. The art is well-drawn. It's not the usual anime style, so it stands out a bit more as unique and memorable. I especially like Sent's 3D-ness. And the writing and presentation are both solid so far.

These first few puzzles haven't been too difficult, as I'd expect from the opening stages. There were a few times where I felt the hints were too extreme. The "greenhouse" one in particular was a dead giveaway. On the "ten" puzzle, I spent a long time trying to make a diagonal 10 out of the pieces, and then when I asked for a hint someone just flat-out gave the answer. After that I became cautious about using hints, so for the Celsius puzzle (it's spelled wrong on the Episode Select, by the way) I decided not to use any. And I got it right, but only because I paid attention to the title. Still don't know what the other two letters stood for, I just guessed like Ink did!

But the latest puzzle really had me stumped for a while. I didn't want to use any hints, so I spent a lot of time thinking about it. Eventually I used them, but they didn't tell me anything I hadn't already figured out. I'm really just not sure how Rae figured out which button should have been pressed first, since the first two buttons are identical when rotated. Was there a way to figure that out on my own, or did I need to use a hint for that? I felt like the hints in this puzzle were more evenly spread, not too spoilery, plus a skip button appeared out of nowhere in case I got stuck. And I actually did skip the puzzle, then went back and got it. I realized that even though I had read all the hints, I accidentally pressed the buttons in the wrong order anyway, so when I went to do it a second time I got it in a matter of seconds. So that was the most confusing one so far, but it was a nice challenge. I think that one had the right amount of difficulty, the hints just enough to help you get started but still need to apply some thinking to solve the puzzle.

Regarding the characters, their trust levels (for me) are all roughly the same, but I've usually been favoring Aether over the others. And as for the story, I think it's developing nicely. Every episode ends with a cliffhanger, so I'm enjoying the pacing. I also like the reminders at the beginning that tell me what happened last time. The structure does get a little repetitive though: recap, move to the next room, solve a puzzle, cliffhanger. Maybe it'll be changed up in later parts? Each episode also seems a little too short, but that's usually a good thing to hear!
Anyway, I suppose I'll have more things to say as the story develops, but congratulations on releasing everything so far! It's a lot of fun!

Percon
Regular

#5 Post by Percon »

Thanks for playing, Kinjo! Glad you're having fun with it. Some answers to your questions/comments below!
Kinjo wrote:
First thing's first -- I really love the music. Especially how every song kinda has that same theme in it if you listen closely. It's also nice just to listen to when you're thinking about how to solve the puzzles. The art is well-drawn. It's not the usual anime style, so it stands out a bit more as unique and memorable. I especially like Sent's 3D-ness. And the writing and presentation are both solid so far.

These first few puzzles haven't been too difficult, as I'd expect from the opening stages. There were a few times where I felt the hints were too extreme. The "greenhouse" one in particular was a dead giveaway. On the "ten" puzzle, I spent a long time trying to make a diagonal 10 out of the pieces, and then when I asked for a hint someone just flat-out gave the answer.
Hints have been pretty tricky to write since a lot of the riddles are "you know the gimmick or you don't" kind of affairs. I'll try to watch it going forward.
Kinjo wrote:
(it's spelled wrong on the Episode Select, by the way)
oh geebus how did nobody notice that

>"Hey Ink I bet your spelling and grammar are good"
>Next bit of text in the game has a spelling error

kill me
Kinjo wrote:
But the latest puzzle really had me stumped for a while. I didn't want to use any hints, so I spent a lot of time thinking about it. Eventually I used them, but they didn't tell me anything I hadn't already figured out. I'm really just not sure how Rae figured out which button should have been pressed first, since the first two buttons are identical when rotated. Was there a way to figure that out on my own, or did I need to use a hint for that?
It's totally possible to figure it all out on your own; the trick is the final transformation. Once you know what's going on there, you should be golden.

Technically, the only way Rae could've figured out what the first three buttons were is if he deducedwhat the final transformation was, but I didn't want him to outright give you the answer. So I cheated a bit and had him only give the first three button presses. I'm, uh, chalking that one up to his "good intuition".

I will say, though, that there's a bit more to this puzzle than meets the eye. Might be worth giving it another look down the road.
Kinjo wrote:
I felt like the hints in this puzzle were more evenly spread, not too spoilery, plus a skip button appeared out of nowhere in case I got stuck.
Hmm, the skip button should only appear if you've already cleared that episode. Sounds like a bug! (unless you used the "O"+"P"+"E"+"N" trick)
Kinjo wrote:
Regarding the characters, their trust levels (for me) are all roughly the same, but I've usually been favoring Aether over the others. And as for the story, I think it's developing nicely. Every episode ends with a cliffhanger, so I'm enjoying the pacing. I also like the reminders at the beginning that tell me what happened last time. The structure does get a little repetitive though: recap, move to the next room, solve a puzzle, cliffhanger. Maybe it'll be changed up in later parts? Each episode also seems a little too short, but that's usually a good thing to hear!
The episode structure is the same for most, but not all, episodes. Hopefully that helps the subversive episodes stand out, though!

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

#6 Post by Kinjo »

Percon wrote:
Kinjo wrote:
I felt like the hints in this puzzle were more evenly spread, not too spoilery, plus a skip button appeared out of nowhere in case I got stuck.
Hmm, the skip button should only appear if you've already cleared that episode. Sounds like a bug! (unless you used the "O"+"P"+"E"+"N" trick)
Oh, is that what caused it? Makes sense. I did have to use that trick, because suddenly after I cleared Chapter 6 and came back the next day to play Chapter 7, the chapters were reset back to only the first one. Then I went and skipped through Chapter 7 and when I re-loaded the game to replay the puzzle it had me back up to Chapter 6, so I had to use the trick again. I'm playing on the website (not itch) and the version appeared to be 1.0.0. I'm not too sure what went wrong there; I'm using the same computer and browser too.

Percon
Regular

#7 Post by Percon »

Oh, hmm, that's not good. I'll have to look into that...
Exit/Corners development blog: http://www.exitcorners.com/

TellerFarsight
Veteran
Projects: Vora, Secrets Untold

#8 Post by TellerFarsight »

Very clever puzzles. I'm really enjoying the music and the characters. It does have the great feel of the original Zero Escape. You can be sure I'll be back when the next episode is out! Keep up the good work!
Current Project: Vora
Also Check Out: Devil Survivor [Reverse-Engineered]

Percon
Regular

#9 Post by Percon »

Episode 8 is out! Go play it! Also fixed a few minor bugs.

If anyone else gets a random loss of save data like Kinjo described, let me know - I'd like to try and nip that issue in the bud, whatever it is.
Exit/Corners development blog: http://www.exitcorners.com/