Cal's Art - Your thoughts?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
CALbalacrab
Projects: Love in the Sea
Tumblr: calbalacrab

Cal's Art - Your thoughts?

#1 Post by CALbalacrab »

Ehi everyone!
I'm working on some character's sprites for a VN I'm making with my cousin. We would like to put it on mobile as an otome game, so I'm wondering: do my babies look enough good / attractive? LOL.
One of my fav artist is Suzuhito Yasuda so my art style is inspired by his works, but of course I'm not good like him right now :lol:
they are still WIP, as I have to decide if adding more shades etc.and clean better the BG.

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

Re: Cal's Art - Your thoughts?

#2 Post by Dovahkitteh »

I think your art's really cute! I like the style you used for the boy especially. Your coloring on the hair is nice as well.

The girl's face (eyes specifically) does seem slightly off to me, maybe due to proportions/space between facial features.

Still some good work though, I'd say it'd be just fine in an otome game :)

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

CALbalacrab

#3 Post by CALbalacrab »

Thank you!
Now that you mention it... maybe there is too much space between the eyes mmmh

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#4 Post by runeraccoon »

I think the quality of your shading in the hair far surpasses anywhere else, which hurts overall quality. Come and fix it! Because your lines are really cool!

For example, the gray fabric on the pirate boi's torso. The shine is overwhelming while there are no shading at all. Whereas in the rest of the mermaid's body, there are almost no sharp shading, such as when comparing their arms.

The mermaid's face's shading is also a bit "dirty". Unless that's the intended result, I think you use Airbrush/Soft brush too much. For your lining style, just give simple shading for the nose and lip. And I think you're set!

Also, in some parts you seem to be afraid of going over the edges, such as the mermaid's hair's washed out blue color near her tail, and the boy's gray fabric's shine on his shoulder.

What program did you use? Have you properly utilized the layers and "Lock Alphas" or "Clip Layers" function? If you're coloring everything in the same layer, use Lock Alpha. If you're shading in different layer, use Clip Layer/Clip Group/Make Clipping Mask function.

As for the proportions, I actually have no problems! I love how their faces look. It reminds me of some JRPG that I'm not too familiar with. I also love the cute and polished starfish in the mermaid's hair.

seirrehc

#5 Post by seirrehc »

They both look great! I really like the simple coloring :D But I do agree with what runeraccoon said.

There were also somethings that I noticed:
- The girl's left boob profile shows the fullness of it, but other than that, her boobs look really flat.
- The lighting on the clothes seems to be off, specifically the light ones.
Ex) (I know runeraccoon mentioned this but I also want to add a bit of my two cents in too.) The girl's bra's shadow is overwhelming the base color, which makes the lighting off. Doing shadows on the creases of the seashell and on the bottom half of her bra will make it look more natural, but otherwise, I like the subtleness of the highlights. Speaking of which, the highlights on the gray clothing piece (not sure what it's called) over the guy's shoulder is a bit too bright and would have looked better for it to be the base color instead.

They just need some tweeks but overall, they're good.

CALbalacrab

#6 Post by CALbalacrab »

Thank you both :)
I deleted the blue light on the hair, and tried to shade the bra and body!
Not sure how good it is, honestly. I really hate shading LOL

cedes
Regular
itch: cedes

#7 Post by cedes »

Aw but shading is awesome, it sculpts that character from flat lines and colors! And I really like the colors you used on the bra, but the shading in general is rather random!! Make sure to find a constant light source when shading~