Should we try to fundraise?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
alleyneangel
Projects: A Trial of Hearts
Organization: Novel Thought Studios
itch: alleyneangel

Should we try to fundraise?

#1 Post by alleyneangel »

My sister and I are planning on making a visual novel in the near(ish) future. ^_^

This will be our very first one and, though we are working extra hard on it, because it is our first and we are relying on some free content for music and a few bgs, I can't say it's going to be super high-end. Not absolutely everything will be original content specifically for the game (although most of the art will). It will be a pretty big game with a lot of gameplay time, and we are hiring a very talented artist for sprites, cgs, and most of the bgs, so we know the art quality will be wonderful at least! ^_^ When it is released, we plan on making it totally up to the readers whether or not they want to donate anything, and if so how much, so we're really not expecting to make any money off of this. However it would be nice to have some money to get it done sooner vs. commissioning the art a little at a time as money comes in. $2000 should more than cover our absolute loftiest dreams (which are totally not necessary), but we would really be happy with just about anything! 😂 Is it even worth trying to raise some funds since it is our first visual novel? Do people actually donate to new visual novel creators or are we pretty much on our own money wise for the first few games? We plan to commission a few sprites and bgs on our own anyway so that we would have something to advertise if we do decide to try and raise some money.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Should we try to fundraise?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

If you're going to fundraise, I would try doing a Kickstarter and selling the game for money. A PWYW model will make barely any money, if other people's experiences are any indication. Otherwise you may as well just give it away for free.

That said, keep in mind that as your first project, if you do succeed you will be expected to actually complete your game successfully, and if you don't you could be on the hook for that money.

alleyneangel

#3 Post by alleyneangel »

Ok thanks! ^_^

We aren't really expecting to make money off of this, it'd just be nice getting a little help covering the cost (though not necessary) and we're fine with that because we're doing this for fun. We love visual novels and we love that more and more people are making visual novels for English speakers. We'd like to add to that database. ^_^ So in that case we'll probably just give it away for free.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#4 Post by Katy133 »

I would recommend that you try completing another, smaller visual novel that you can complete on a shoestring budget, rather than Kickstart/fundraise your first-ever visual novel. The first VN you make is usually your hardest because you're starting from the very beginning, from the ground up.

Crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo generally work out better for creators who have past experience and/or have made something well-known by their target audience. That's what makes them more credible (you wouldn't really want to invest in a project if your not confident that the creator can complete it).
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

alleyneangel

#5 Post by alleyneangel »

That's a good point. Thank you!

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#6 Post by bluebirdplays »

Katy133 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:13 pm I would recommend that you try completing another, smaller visual novel that you can complete on a shoestring budget, rather than Kickstart/fundraise your first-ever visual novel. The first VN you make is usually your hardest because you're starting from the very beginning, from the ground up.

Crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo generally work out better for creators who have past experience and/or have made something well-known by their target audience. That's what makes them more credible (you wouldn't really want to invest in a project if your not confident that the creator can complete it).
I agree with Katy133.

I always have these big ol' lofty ideas for visual novels but there is a lot of work that goes into their development. Programming, Art, Music, Design, and Writing all take up a huge amount of time and for a first game, it's better to get some smaller vns going so you understand your own process of developing (and finishing) a game!

I'd definitely recommend joining a game jam and try your hand at creating a smaller vn within a set period of time. It's challenging but was super helpful for me to take part in as a new visual novel developer. Now I've got two vns made in a month to two month's time under my belt and only with my third am I considering the idea of going commercial to see how that plays out.

Unless I get distracted and join another game jam because they are so addicting and fun xD

alleyneangel

#7 Post by alleyneangel »

Thanks so much for all the responses and advice guys ^_^

I will definitely look into a game jam and try making a smaller one first. I have the tyranobuilder software (as I am at level 0 with coding and ren'py was scary :D) and have been messing around with it for a couple weeks now. It is a lot more work than I initially thought it would be, but tons of fun thus far!

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#8 Post by bluebirdplays »

alleyneangel wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:38 am Thanks so much for all the responses and advice guys ^_^

I will definitely look into a game jam and try making a smaller one first. I have the tyranobuilder software (as I am at level 0 with coding and ren'py was scary :D) and have been messing around with it for a couple weeks now. It is a lot more work than I initially thought it would be, but tons of fun thus far!
If you need any help with Tyranobuilder, feel free to shoot me a pm :> My game jam games were made with it because I liked the drag n drop builder xD It has a few kinks and I'm definitely using Ren'py next, but I still say it's super useful and friendly for beginners to learn :)

alleyneangel

#9 Post by alleyneangel »

bluebirdplays wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:39 pm
alleyneangel wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:38 am Thanks so much for all the responses and advice guys ^_^

If you need any help with Tyranobuilder, feel free to shoot me a pm :> My game jam games were made with it because I liked the drag n drop builder xD It has a few kinks and I'm definitely using Ren'py next, but I still say it's super useful and friendly for beginners to learn :)
Thanks so much! I will definitely send you a message if I need any help. ^_^

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

#10 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

From what I have gathered by observing the independent game industry and some previous clients, games are among the more difficult to crowdfund. First of all, it is hard to create a paying follower-base since games are not considered innovative and useful like many other things. Second, there are way "too" many games wanting to be funded. Third, you often and most likely wont get funding to get quality. You get funding because you already have it and have showcased it.

I guess, what I am trying to say, is that crowdfunding campaign is not the best use of your time until you have a solid follower base. The realities if the market are harsh :/
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio

alleyneangel

#11 Post by alleyneangel »

Thanks, ^_^ I will definitely keep that in mind!