Any ideas to incentivize a protagonist to play RSP?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Any ideas to incentivize a protagonist to play RSP?

#1 Post by mugenjohncel »

Long story short... I've been working on this side-project we'll temporarily call "RSP - Rock, Scissors, Paper... I know, lame name"

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=44832#p459712

Thanks to a breakthrough provided by Renpytom, I was finally able to get out of a technical deadlock that I was stuck in for a long time and managed to reach a point where I now am in a good position to start filling in the story... basically, the very meat content of any Visual Novel... but there was a problem... in the original RSP Game made by LVUER, the player has a huge incentive to engage in RSP fights because the protagonist gets to see naked girls... back then, games of this type is OK but we now live in a Politically Correct world and I don't think I'll get away with it if I went the same path...

I'd rather be honest up front... I'm not exactly gifted as a writer and creative thinker and I could use some ideas and possible suggestions to give my protagonist (who conveniently happened to be a Japanese high School student in a Japanese High School setting) some convincing reason (and expand it to a plot) to engage in a rather crazy RSP battles where you and everybody else actively cheats on each other...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Re: Any ideas to incentivize a protagonist to play RSP?

#2 Post by Scribbles »

Possibly as part of a tournament? Where the characters want to win for some kind of prize or title. It could be run by the school, and would probably benefit from some over-the-top humor to take advantage of the unique premise. You could even make it crazier and make it part of a detention death game (if detention is over full the students have to play rock paper scissors to see who dies), or they could compete to see who gets out of detention. I think the key would be to create a fun and campy environment and treat the subject as being perfectly natural in it's setting. (Like in the world you create this happens all of the time and is perfectly normal)

Hope that gives you some ideas! Good luck with your game it looks really cool
Image - Image -Image

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

mugenjohncel wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 am Long story short... I've been working on this side-project we'll temporarily call "RSP - Rock, Scissors, Paper... I know, lame name"

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=44832#p459712

Thanks to a breakthrough provided by Renpytom, I was finally able to get out of a technical deadlock that I was stuck in for a long time and managed to reach a point where I now am in a good position to start filling in the story... basically, the very meat content of any Visual Novel... but there was a problem... in the original RSP Game made by LVUER, the player has a huge incentive to engage in RSP fights because the protagonist gets to see naked girls... back then, games of this type is OK but we now live in a Politically Correct world and I don't think I'll get away with it if I went the same path...
This statement makes no sense to me, as we have a lot MORE games with naked girls being much more mainstream these days. In 2017 you could dump "Strip Rock Paper Scissors" on steam with the 'naked' pictures being lingerie and a patch for full nudity, and sell it just like that, no problems. It's now much EASIER to distribute naked content.

I mean if you don't want nudity that's one thing but blaming it on the current world seems very silly. :wink:

Graff
Regular

#4 Post by Graff »

Maybe have them all be ninjas but instead of handsigns, it's RSP. Lol

As Scribbles said, a tournament seems logical. Maybe the protagonist lacks the talent to participate in a skill-based competition and wants to prove his or herself with something...entry-level. XD

Qwxlea
IRC Nick: qwxlea
Github: Qwxlea

#5 Post by Qwxlea »

Depending on the kind of game, you could let them play for money. Working in games gets boring real fast, and being able to make some (or a lot of) extra money playing RPS would be the logical thing to do.

As an extra incentive, you could do a 'Marty McFly' (from back to the Future): just call out your player and call him a chicken if he doesn't play. After he looses an NPC can show him how to cheat, and get back at the horrible person that just (took most of) his money. Any time the player refuses to play you just call him (her?) a chicken :twisted:

You could,make it a status symbol in the game, all the really cool kids are good at RPS. If the hero wants to get anywhere (with his/her romantic interst...) he *must* play.

It could be used as the normal way of fighting in the school. There are cameras everywhere nowadays, so hitting somebody in the face is impossible, disputes are solved by RPS.

The school could be an experimental school based on the Ayn Rand selfish capitalism ideas: instead of grades and good deeds you get school-dollars. These can be used in the school for food, to get out of detention or to but your final grades. Your protagonist needs to graduate with honors but doesn't like to study... RPS is a great way to earn school-dollars from other students.

The RPS demo looks great. Looking forward to more of your stuff :)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

In Kaiji, the protagonist gets dragged into a series of increasingly sadistic games, one of which is a variation on RPS played with cards instead of the hand signs. Losers become slaves for the rest of their lives. So I suppose "win your freedom" also works.

Actually, any motivation works in the right kind of setting.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Sleepy
Regular
Projects: Camera Anima
Organization: EXP-resso Mutt
Tumblr: sleepy-does-games.tumblr.com
itch: https://expressomutt

#7 Post by Sleepy »

It depends on what kind of tone you want? I think something like Kaiji or even Kakegurui, since it's based on making seemingly mundane games really intense. Or you could take the opposite track and go parody mode, like in ProZD's "Tic-Tac-Toe as an Anime" skit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCukwjjhhg.

Another question is audience and where you plan on distrubuting it. Like, if you want the audience who are into the MC doing it to see naked girls, there's technically nothing really stopping you from doing it since it's not the first concept to have "non-politically correct" content.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

#8 Post by PMscenarios »

Could do a twist on the original idea and have the protag join for the possibility of naked girls (strip RPS?) but end up becoming engaged in the competitive aspect of the whole thing.

I really liked Qwxlea's Ayn Rand idea, that sounds fascinating!
ImageImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#9 Post by Katy133 »

Idea 1) You could take "Rock-Paper-Scissors" and translate it to "Fire-Water-Earth", similar to games like Pokémon and Pocket Mortys. This structure is known as "Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors." Each of the three Elemental Powers (or whatever you choose to change RSP into) have different strengths and weaknesses against other the elements. It's basically RSP re-skinned to look like a battle between two people/creatures/etc. That way, it'll look like an exciting Battle Royale-style plotline.

Idea 2) You could make this into an anime-inspired world where RSP is treated as Serious Business (similar to anime like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Beyblade, and Bakugan). If you do this, you can go really out-there in terms of parodying the typical character stereotypes/archetypes commonly seen in game anime (the plucky everyman hero; the love interest; the hero's younger sister; the old, grumpy mentor; the jerk rival, etc). Sleepy already mentioned it, but ProZD's Tic-Tac-Toe anime skit totally illustrates this idea. If UNO Was an Anime also does this.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#10 Post by Lesleigh63 »

You die if you don't play.

Winston_Nguyen
Projects: VR Heaven

#11 Post by Winston_Nguyen »

Lesleigh63 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:14 am You die if you don't play.
GENIUS!
Follow my Twitter

Graff
Regular

#12 Post by Graff »

Saw beats paper.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#13 Post by Imperf3kt »

So, Danganronpa, but with a classic hand game?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

timepatches
Regular
Completed: When Aster Falls; Were|House; DemiDato: Monster Dating Show; Grand-Nya
Projects: The Bat-Chelor
Organization: Sad Ghost Studios
Tumblr: sadghoststudios
itch: Sad Ghost Studios

#14 Post by timepatches »

Imperf3kt wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:41 am
So, Danganronpa, but with a classic hand game?
What if you die (or something horrible happens to you) if you don't play, but the consequences of playing itself get steadily higher and higher as you progress?
Something happening to your opponent if they lose when the stakes are higher, for example - or it costs the player something/ they have to sacrifice something from their own life in order to earn the right to play?
Could be a nice way to ratchet up the tension a little~
ImageImage Image

★☆ currently: DEMIDATO RELEASED MARCH 14 \ *°▽°* /
i appreciate honest critique!

hoihoisoi
Regular
Projects: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory 「煉獄の亡羊」
Organization: House Of Duematrix
Tumblr: HouseOfDuematrix

#15 Post by hoihoisoi »

I really like how Kakegurui (The gambling manga thinger ber jig) does it by incorporating a culture of gambling in the school as a premise of why they gamble in the first place. Taking that concept and extrapolating it with RPS is a way I see how it can probably be done with little issue. But in this case you need to find an incentive to play (such as obtaining free meal vouchers from such challenges, a competition to select the next student council president, sporting event, not getting kicked out of school, etc.). Overall, I think wacky/comedy is probably the way to go with the script if RPS is the main focal point of it.

Good luck man! :D
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

Check it out by clicking on the siggy above!