Signed and Sealed with a Kiss (Romance/Comedy) (G/BxB)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Anomalis
Projects: Lovelie Deception; Beauty and the Brothers; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Holiday♥Lovers
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

Signed and Sealed with a Kiss (Romance/Comedy) (G/BxB)

#1 Post by Anomalis »

You get an unexpected package delivery one day. When you open it, there’s a man inside - but luckily, he comes with instructions! You have your own impressionable boyfriend. It’s your duty to shape him into a proper person… since he’s actually a “doll” with no past exposure to people.
However, this delivery wasn’t meant for you. Will you fall in love with the person he turns out to be? Will you be able to keep him by your side?

• Choose your name, Boyfriend's name, and your own pronouns
  • Influence Boyfriend by choosing what pastimes and jobs he takes 
  • Raise your affection with Boyfriend during visual novel sections
  • Watch as his looks change depending on his personality 
  • Partial voice acting for each personality 
  • An array of random events, allowing for better replayability 
  • Two distinct endings per personality 
  • Special, unlockable sexy scenes (R17), unique to each personality

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

CG PREVIEWS
Image Image
Image Image

Mama J [graphic designer, writer]
gamerbum [concepts, editing, programming]
pigionsdeliver [concepts, writing, Kickstarter graphics]
Jonah Scott [Boyfriend's voice]
Maddie [audio management]
Poloski [misc. Kickstarter help]
MukangASO [sprite artwork]
mootecky [CG artwork]
gin-1994 [background artwork]

QUESTIONS
-Does this game sound like something you would play? Why or why not?
-Which character appeals to you the most?
-General feedback/comments?

Mikomi
Veteran

Re: Signed and Sealed with a Kiss (Romance/Comedy) (G/BxB)

#2 Post by Mikomi »

Yes, I think it's interesting and a bit unique! I also really like the art style.

Probably his "Prince" side- I would normally probably go with "Fashionista", but his design seems a bit more try-hard and slightly tacky compared to the other personalities- maybe that's on purpose since he's a "Fashionista"?

Basically what I said above. I like the idea, the art, and everything, but maybe not the Fashionista's design so much.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Anomalis wrote:You get an unexpected package delivery one day. When you open it, there’s a man inside - but luckily, he comes with instructions! You have your own impressionable boyfriend. It’s your duty to shape him into a proper person… since he’s actually a “doll” with no past exposure to people.
My first reaction is "Hey, it's reverse Chobits." If you aren't familiar with that series, then you might benefit by reading it. I read and liked it quite a bit in the mid-2000s. It's finished, and official English localizations are easy to find. A couple of off-topic things I enjoyed about the series...
* Worldbuilding: the comic shows what a variety of characters think about humanoid computers, and it shows how fictional people interact with them.
* Several plot-relevant relationships. For instance, a college student has a romantic interest in his professor, and a boy is concerned about the computer who is a replacement for his sister.
* Character growth. The major characters change as events unfold.
Anomalis wrote:Influence Boyfriend by choosing what pastimes and jobs he takes
Raise your affection with Boyfriend during visual novel sections
It sounds like there will be quite a bit of gameplay. It's interesting to see a raising simulation in which the player's actions influence male characters. This has not been done often. There was a freeware computer game of Chinese origin called Prince Maker - Braveness, which has a fan translation. There were also a couple of untranslated console titles called Dear My Sun and Hop Step Idol, but I can't think of much else.
Anomalis wrote:However, this delivery wasn’t meant for you.
Sounds like a plot hook. I assume that the person who was supposed to receive Boyfriend will eventually realize that something went wrong. Might this individual become a rival or even an enemy? Can this situation be defused if the protagonist chooses to give Boyfriend away?
Anomalis wrote:General feedback/comments?
Is the protagonist a blank slate, or someone who has a personality? Will the player have any influence regarding what sort of person they are?

Anomalis
Projects: Lovelie Deception; Beauty and the Brothers; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Holiday♥Lovers

#4 Post by Anomalis »

@Mikomi:
Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm glad this game piques your interest (: Fashionista's design is the way it is because of his character type in the game itself, so a lot of it is on purpose but thank you for sharing your thoughts! Prince is a great character and we can't wait for you to find out more about his personality.

@gekiganwing:
Personally, I am not familiar with Chobits, but I will definitely take a look at it because it sounds incredibly interesting and on par with the plot of the game. We do intend for there to be a lot of gameplay, yes. As for the "delivery wasn't meant for you" line, you're on the right track with your guesses! We can't reveal more for the moment, but you have the right idea. And then the answer to your question is that MC does have a definite personality, so the player wouldn't influence their character in that way. It's an option to edit the script with options to allow more of a customized personality but the prose part defines their personality quite a bit so even with options, it's hard to imagine that would be significant enough change to say "player influence them." Thank you for the feedback and thoughts, we greatly appreciate it!

Jain
Regular

#5 Post by Jain »

This sounds and looks neat. Remind me a bit of Absolute Boyfriend.

I'm most interested in the bad boy and the flirt, mostly.

The art looks good and I like the setup. I'll deiniftely keep an eye out for this.

Anomalis

#6 Post by Anomalis »

@Artalija:
We've actually gotten that a lot! And you can say that Absolute Boyfriend was one of our inspirations for this game. Between you and me, the bad boy and flirt are my favorites, too (; Their routes, imo, are the most fun but that's probably only because I'm biased to their character trope, haha. Thank you for the comment, we appreciate it!

pikabyunn
Projects: webcomic : Chronicles of Esteria (WIP)

#7 Post by pikabyunn »

YES! A game slightly inspired by Absolute Boyfriend. I didn't know I needed it until I saw it. I am usually not the greatest fan of prince/princess-raising esque games but this one just has a premise I can't resist.

The bad boy. Mostly because of the tattoos and how good his entire design looks. Personality wise probably the flirt. Just because I like to see where the route takes me if I get the option to be feisty / the opposite of your average meek Otome protagonist.

considering AB was only an inspiration for it I can't wait to see where this world you've created will take us, how deep it goes and how the boyfriends personality changes - will it be slow or sudden? Little scenes here and there where for example the fashionista starts taking interest in fashion or the badboy starts getting into trouble. The art also looks very nice. Especially the CG previews.

Anomalis

#8 Post by Anomalis »

@pikabyunn:
We're so glad to know you've taken an interest in the game! That makes us much more excited to let you see what else we have in store. The bad boy trope is my personal bias, so I'd always choose him in a heartbeat. The flirt definitely does offer some challenges for the MC just based on how different their personalities are, but that really applies for all of the personalities. We made sure to give our MC a good, strong character type because we've gotten tired of seeing, what you call, the average, meek otome protagonist, so I'm glad that stands out. I can't reveal too much but I can promise you that you WILL shed tears by the end of this game, guaranteed. We've got events and scenes that will rip your heart to shreds, so that's something to look forward to, eh? (; Thank you so much for the feedback!

runadial
Regular
Completed: My Only Sunshine
Projects: CrossDol (BL), Forsaken
Organization: astellic

#9 Post by runadial »

Sure, it reminds me of another game, I forgot the title though. Something about a quiet boyfriend and the girlfriend is determined to change him, so his personality and appearance will change throughout. If I can get my already-long game list played (including a whole bunch of commercial games) then this is the next game.

The fashionista. Why? Because I'm a sucker for multi-colored hair. And the bad boy. Why? Because I'm a sucker for tattoos. But I'd play all of them, to be honest, in the end.

I've shed tears only in a few games. Actually, I can only recall two games where I cried pretty hard. One of them is Nameless -the one thing you must recall-, and the other one is Cinderella Phenomenon. I wonder if this game will also make it to the list, too.

Unicorn_Magic
Regular

#10 Post by Unicorn_Magic »

Hi, firstly the game's premise sounds wonderful, I already want to play it so bad haha
I wonder how the Boyfriend's looks and clothes change, does he like go to the tattoo shop, salon and buy particular clothes, looking forward to see how that plays out!
It's definitely an amazing idea, of course I'd want to play it haha, who wouldn't? The art is so pretty *squeals* and I haven't seen or played this particular premise before, so it's very intriguing!
I'd probably go for the bad boy first haha, there's something about his tattoos and his feisty look that brings all the girls to the yard ;)
The thrillseeker and fashionista come in second and third place respectively, I wonder if there's a scene where we're drinking tea and Fashionista teaches me all the etiquettes (drinking tea with the pinky finger up lol). Also, the base guy looks pretty cute too haha.
I'm so curious about the sneak peak of the badboy's CG haha, he probably looks adorable!
Also, is this going to be a free or commercial game?
That's all for my super long review *shy* I hope the making of the game goes smoothly and I'll be anticipating it, Good Luck! :D

PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

#11 Post by PMscenarios »

No. The "build-a-boyfriend" concept just doesn't appeal to me, sorry. I like my characters to be complicated, coloured by their experiences and have their own goals/views. Getting a blank slate and molding it into my "ideal" just isn't for me, and I've read a few mangas with this set-up by now.
(this is not a critique btw. I've read/seen tons of vampire stories, and thought the concept was pretty played out, and yet this year I read a story that quickly became my fav take on the genre, period. It is completely possible to write a good, interesting, unique story with a well-worn set-up)
BUT (big "but" here), I'm a cynical, unromantic, jaded person, and not the target demographic for this pitch, so my opinion shouldn't hold much weight, if any at all (you just asked why not, so...).

The bad boy and the fashionista I guess.

The 2 biggest caveats for me reading the pitch is 1 - that all the boyfriend personalities seem very boiler-plate. They're generic stereotypes I've seen before, and don't indicate a "real" personality. 2 - There is no conflict here. There's a hint to something with the mention of the "mistaken delivery" and us maybe losing him in the end, but nothing that tells me about the story. If there is more to it, I'd recommend putting in a bit more hints towards the main conflicts in your pitch.
I'd be more interested if the boyfriend starts overriding my choices as his personality solidifies, and there was a chance he might reject me and run away on their own/with someone else. Watching someone I grew from the ground up go their own way and make a life without me sounds heart-wrenching and intriguing.

But, again, this only matters if you want to target ppl like me who prefer story and conflict over romance, so please take every part of this feedback with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people out there who love love stories.
ImageImageImage

Anomalis

#12 Post by Anomalis »

The demo for Signed and Sealed with a Kiss is now LIVE!!

We hope you enjoy! Please let us know what you think! Thank you to everyone for the support (:

Doomzilla
Regular
Tumblr: punchysporkk

#13 Post by Doomzilla »

Well. Played the demo. Pre-ordered it. Mission successful!

Definitely. I was immediately drawn to the concept; it's one that's new to me. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the execution, but I really enjoyed how light-hearted it is so far. That first option list once you open the box cracked me up. I'd be more specific but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say that word on this part of the forum. You can probably guess what made me laugh though! I buy and play games because they're fun, and your demo is, simple as that!

The beta boyfriend, of course! Which version hmmm... probably the bad boy for the tattoos and cg sneak peek. A blushy bad boy is all kinds of fun. I'll definitely play them all though.

Oops, I kind of already posted this under the first question. Hmm. Spoilers for specific feedback.
Well, I was surprised that I enjoyed prince-mode. I usually think of princes as being very gentle and romantic and perfect and sparkly, but he was also serious and surprisingly intense. In flirt-mode, I liked how natural he felt. He was being a brat, but in a very easy-going way. Bad boy did not disappoint, but did manage to shock me! I wasn't expecting a drug dealer career option! That is absolutely not a complaint, I love seeing adult options as well as options that break the usual mold.
I'm curious how far along you are in development? No pressure intended, and I'm not looking for a release estimate or anything (though I'll take one if you've already got it), I'm just wondering roughly where you're at.

Keep up the good work! :D

kawaiinekochama
Regular
Projects: Change Me!
Organization: nekollection
itch: nyankochama

#14 Post by kawaiinekochama »

Of course I would play this game! I love games that have unique features and interesting plots. This game reminds of a slot in SNL Korea that I've watched and actually, I really hoped that this kind of game is real and now, it is!
I've gotta say that I love them ALL. (I know I'm greedy :wink: ) But deep down actually I favor the thrillseeker and the bad boy because I love those kinds of guys hoho.
I didn't play the demo yet but I just wanna say good luck to you guys! :D
My first game :
My website :

Anomalis

#15 Post by Anomalis »

@runadial:
Thank you so much for the feedback! Considering the things we have planned for the routes, none of us doubt that you will have tears shedded by the end of the game. ^^

@Unicorn_Magic:
If you've played the demo, I'm sure what happens kind of answers your question of how his personality changes. We're so happy to hear this game interests you! We were all excited to work on this and it turned out better than, I think, even we expected. I agree, personally, the bad boy is doing things to my heart with his reckless look and tattoos (; The idea of the fashionista teaching MC etiquette sounds like a good event scene! Who knows? As for your question, the game is going to be commercial. Thank you for the feedback!

@PMscenarios:
We weren't expecting to reach everyone's interest in the VN community, but we still appreciate you taking the time to write down your thoughts and share your critiques! We'll definitely see to making sure the conflict is prominent and that it's not your usual love story.

@Doomzilla
That's so good to hear that you enjoyed it enough to pre-order! That makes the whole team happy and feel accomplished. Thank you so much :D I'm also glad the personalities weren't too cliche and that they kind of went against the norm. (: That's always a goal of ours. As for your question, I'd say we're about 25% done. We've already got all the routes and events and endings planned, all it takes now is the writing and a couple more assets and bam. Thanks again so much for the support and encouragement!

@kawaiinekochama:
I haven't heard of SNL Korea before, I'll definitely have to check it out and see the resemblance! But I'm glad this game reminded you of something that you enjoy! I love those kinds of character tropes, too, they're my bias, especially the bad boy (; But they're all great personalities! Thank you so much for the feedback!