Everyone suggests Snowball and Blue Yeti, but... (More questions here)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

Everyone suggests Snowball and Blue Yeti, but... (More questions here)

#1 Post by Catlip Candy »

Okay. I've made a thread from before. I wanted to voice act. I don't intend to go professionally, full time, but I just want it to be a hobby. I thought that I could record my voice with just using a computer software such as an Audacity, but because of the previous thread I made, I think that what I really need was a decent mic. However, I was still a student at that time who had no part-time job because I wanted to focus on my studies, so I didn't have enough money to buy a microphone.

Time goes by so fast, and as soon as I graduated, I quickly looked for a job, got hired, earned money, yay, and now, I want to buy a decent mic because I can. Of course, I need to budget, too because there are other bills to pay which are much more important than hobbies.

Before I want to buy my own mic, I want to list down some of the things that I know about Voice Acting.

Things I Know (based on the previous thread I made):
- You need to have passion, determination, the talent or experience of acting skills (I'm not confident that I have the 'talent' but no one can stop me, I'm gonna do this bwahahaha), and you have to be ready to take any criticism, anyways, pretty obvious.
- I absolutely have to buy my own mic because recording my voice with just a computer software won't be enough. A lot of people are suggesting to buy Snowball mic or Blue Yeti cos they said it was the "cheapest, yet most decent mic' there is.
- Some of the worst mics are laptop mic, headset mic or USB mic because they're just used for chatting, not used for voice acting, BUT there are also some better USB mics that are used for Voice Acting, that's what they said.
- You need an 'interface' along with the mic or else you'll get a lot of noise (I don't know much about interfaces tho), but I should def consider buying a mic with a "built-in" interface.
- Someone said a "headphone" is secondary needed in Voice Acting.
- Some characteristics of mic (cardioid mic, condenser mic, dynamic mic)
- I'm going to need a pop filter to filter the /P/ or /B/ sounds or breathing sounds etc., but this pop filter can also be made just at home (but I wanna buy one cos I'm not talented in making stuff).
- Putting a sheet over you and the mic can reduce the additional noise if you live in a noisy place.
- To cut and edit your recorded voice, you can use Audacity (I still need to learn more about Audacity, tho).
- CDR King's mic sux.

Here's my situation right now.
- Our house has a lot of people living in it and it's noisy (dad wants to watch TV 24/7) so the only time to record is when everyone's all asleep :/
- Lazada is the only site I know that I can buy from :/ delivery is free, Cash on delivery is available, what more can I ask for? (I don't have any of these cards that are available for payment in Amazon).
- I'm willing to pay
- They say you have to at least pay 30$ to get a decent mic, and that's okay for me, but the lowest I saw on Lazada is 130$! Plus, I don't know if this is the cheapest best mic I can have. Here's the link of the mic in Lazada that I saw.

Now, there are questions that I want to get answered. They may be dumb, cos I'm a slow learner (haha :lol: )

My Questions:
- How do you record your voice?! For example, you have your mic with a built-in interface, headset, pop filter, your own booth, etc, so you have everything you need! All you need to do is just speak. And then what? Do you need to record with your phone's built-in recorder app? Or your laptop's built-in recorder software? Or Audacity? Or if it's a good USB mic, do you just speak and it gets recorded via USB? I heard that a good USB mic has a built-in "preamp" but you can't adjust the preamp since it's inside the mic already, so what others do is just to buy non-USB mics and buying a different audio interface.
- I'm just a newbie, Lvl 0, no experience in VA, just wanting to do this for a hobby. Is it more reasonable for me to buy a USB mic instead of buying a non-USB mic with a different audio interface?
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

D.ray
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams/Painting Your Skin/Garden Of Machines
Projects: Love Therapy /Heart of Thorns/Resurface
Tumblr: drayreedofficial
Soundcloud: drayreed

Re: Everyone suggests Snowball and Blue Yeti, but... (More questions here)

#2 Post by D.ray »

Your questions answered first.

1. Yes you record into your software. So if you have a usb mic, you connect it via USB to your computer, then within the recording software, such as audacity, or reaper (another great alternative), you hit record, a mouse click, or space bar and whatever you speak into the mic gets recorded. If you have an audio interface and mic, you connect the mic to the interface via a XLR cable, and then your interface connects to your computer via USB. Everything else is the same.

2. No it’s not unreasonable to buy a USB instead of a non USB mic. If you record your lines well, perform them well, and edit them well, you can get great results. However, for not much more money, say another $100, you can get a lot better quality from buying a interface and using a non usb mic.. The lowest interfaces go for $100. So pair that with a condenser mic and you have a winning combination. If this a hobby for you, and money is tight, perhaps USB is right for you. I would use an audio technia USB mic over the snowball, but I’m not sure if you have those where you live.

3. The advantage of a non USB mic is that the quality is much higher, and you can adjust volume. So for example in a non USB mic, if you want to get close to the mic, the volume will get loud the closer you get. The only way to control the volume is to either adjust your voice, or record from further away. Sometimes these things are not possible, don’t get good results, or are just plain annoying. And although you can adjust the volume of what you record after it’s in the computer, it’s not the same thing as recording at the proper volume going in. You would have to listen to some examples to understand. With a non USB mic, you simply control the volume via the interface.

Some other tips
- Get a cardiod condenser mic, not a dynamic mic. Condensers work great for recording vocals.
- I would recommend audio technia mics if you can find them. The at2020 for USB , and the at2035 for non usb.
-Yes buy a pop filter. You can buy one for like $10 or $15
-Trying looking at stores like guitarcenter, sam ash, or whatever music stores are available in your area for mics and interfaces.
- If you go to buy an interface, make sure it has phantam power. 99% do, but just to be sure, check. Otherwise you won't be able to use your mic.
- If you buy an interface, you will need a special cable called an XLR cable to connect the mic to the interface. The price varies on the length of the cable.
- I’d say you need to spend at least $100 for a decent mic, but if you can get one on sale, or used, go for it
- Learn your software. It makes recording easier. Also, learn how to edit your lines. Basically, cutting off the silent parts before each line and after the end of each line. In addition, learn how to use noise removal and EQ to get rid of any background noise, like hum, fizz and thuds. I would recommended reaper over audacity for the these very things as it’s much superior for this kind of thing.
- Reaper is free to try for an unlimited trial, but you should buy it if you like it. It's only $60, yet just as power as software that run's in the hundreds.

- If possible, trying recording in a closet. Or empty out a closet and turn it into your recording space. Use some sort of padding on the walls to reduce reverb. If you have a laptop that’s even better, take it in with you to record. If your computers outside, hit record, close the closet door as much as you can, and record your lines. If you mess up, wait a moment and then try again until you think you hit your lines. Otherwise you’ll waste a lot of time going in and out of the closet

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, or PM me.
Get your Voice Over for games to sound the best.

Catlip Candy
Regular

#3 Post by Catlip Candy »

Thanks for your reply, D.ray! I'll definitely look at that Audio technia mics, probably at2020! Non-USB mic PLUS interface is just too much for me right now XD I've just been working for 2 months and my pay's not that great!

We don't have closets here, we just have cabinets but I can't go inside there XD

And I forgot to put in under 'My Situation' but I have an Audacity in my laptop and I can use it because I'm a bit familiar with it. I've used it during one homework back in my college days. Haven't heard of Reaper, but, unlimited trial? o_O? Or maybe there are unlockable features on it once you buy it for 60$

Anyways, I'll take a look at that at2020, but how much did it cost you? I'm still at work right now and sites like Lazada are blocked by our company's internet. I'm really glad they haven't blocked LSF yet XD yay~ I'll look at it after shift!!
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!

Catlip Candy
Regular

#4 Post by Catlip Candy »

@D.ray

Just to be sure, is this the AT2020 that you're talking about? Click me!

Cos if it is, I'll be happy to buy this XD but I hope I'm not just jumping into buying this one :cry: Stop me from buying! I'm an impatient person and I just keep on buying whatever if I can T____T lol

D.ray
Regular

#5 Post by D.ray »

Too bad about the closets. T.T

Perhaps creating a vocal booth could be a thing. Normally they're really nice. Like this. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/f2/72 ... d1e88c.jpg

Instead you could make one out of cardboard and attach padding on the inside. Or at the very least create something like this.
https://cdn.instructables.com/FFF/7IWZ/ ... CT2100.jpg

It'll help with background noise and echo.

And yeah, the company behind reaper has an interesting business model. There are no limitations. They're just so confident you'll love their software you'll buy it. Like I did. But if you're already comfortable with audacity, then stick with that. Move to something different once you require something it can't do, or can't do very well.

And yes that's the mic in the link you posted. Just make sure you buy the USB version since there is an older non USB version. It's price is usually $100. There is a lot of talk online on the blue yeti/snowball being the best USB mic for $100, but frankly I think that's the at2020. You can search online for comparisons people have done between the two, and you'll notice a significant difference. The at2020 sounds more detailed, has depth and handles frequencies better. The snowball and yeti by comparison, lack detail, and sound boxy and muffly.

And I don't own a at202O, but it's clear the at2020 is the better mic. I do own a at2035. It's a large diaphragm condenser mic and it's amazing. I use it to record vocals, drums, acoustic guitar, violin and anything else I can think of. I can vouch for audio technia's mic quality. It's extremely good. The company also makes the at4040 which is a really popular and high quality mic used in lots of studio recordings. Just to give you an idea of their reputation.

Catlip Candy
Regular

#6 Post by Catlip Candy »

Whoa! Wait wait, so you mean to say that the USB version of the at2020 is $100? Or is it the non-USB at2020 is the $100? Just making sure. If the mic in the link is the USB version, then that's kinda pretty cheap, cheaper than that blue snowball, and if it's as good as what you say, then I should def go for it!

I can see the second photo that you wrote here, but I can't see the first vocal booth link. I'm at work. Privacy error. :lol: I'll look at it later! Many thanks!!!~~~

D.ray
Regular

#7 Post by D.ray »

Yep, the USB version of the at2020 usually goes for around $100. Good luck with your purchase and voice acting.

Yolo400
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams
Projects: ----

#8 Post by Yolo400 »

Work on your voice and your voice only. Record on the cheapest microphone you can find, since your voice is the only constant. A good mic won't make you an amazing voice actor, only strong vocal chords and understanding.

So can I recommend-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estill_Voice_Training (learning how to apply your body to the work)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislavski%27s_system (learning in what manner acting is required)

These will be the best advices you get, and if you understand and practise Estill training and Stanislavski you'll be far more in demand than 99% of the "voice actors" on their $300 microphones.

Have a good day.
Working on project "Lightning Cat" - Writing
music for sale
|| Thank you ||