Belle - Visual novel maker

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
freemind
Regular

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#136 Post by freemind »

VideaVice wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 am 2 - Okay so I'll try the fade in/out later. I was just using my .ogg and .wav files from the RenPy version but yeah maybe I should make sure all my codecs are present.

4 -
I used to have similar issues sometimes when i was developing the 0.7 version, but i was able to fix that and it never happened again. So i'm not sure what's going on there. But you notice problems just in some days or everytime you use it?
As I said pretty random.
Sometimes I start the program and it works fine.
Sometimes it doesn't work and then I tempt my luck, try it and it works for a while then stops working.
Sometimes it doesn't work at all.
So regarding this issue, it's pretty much I cross my fingers before I start working in hope to get the least weird scenario.
I will switch to an alternative browser as suggested. And yes I always just click the index.html.

Thanks.
4- By "doesn't work" you mean the window doesn't appear?

About clicking on the index.html, usually it should work fine, but sometimes i guess it may misbehave a bit, because browsers are very restrictive when you open local html files with it. In the next version of Belle i will probably do it differently, by maybe bundle an executable to launch the game. What do you think?

VideaVice
Projects: Rowan Reed(comp)-A Hunter's Tale(comp)-Paranoid Kid & The Shadow(comp)-Purity(InDev)
Github: videavice
itch: videavice

#137 Post by VideaVice »

4 - The window appears but it displays the FPS Dummy message only.

Yep, an executable would be great. The only thing I need to know is, as .exe, would it still be possible to upload the project on itch.io because they seem to have a strict format limitations for html games. By that I mean the site will accept a .zip file(a high quality one) but not a .rar.

Could it be possible to have a list of exporting options to fit the requierments of this kind of hosting websites? At first, you could give us the choice between a regular export, a .zip, an .exe for instance and expand slowly if it turns out there're other formats often requested outside of the original list.

freemind
Regular

#138 Post by freemind »

VideaVice wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:32 am 4 - The window appears but it displays the FPS Dummy message only.

Yep, an executable would be great. The only thing I need to know is, as .exe, would it still be possible to upload the project on itch.io because they seem to have a strict format limitations for html games. By that I mean the site will accept a .zip file(a high quality one) but not a .rar.

Could it be possible to have a list of exporting options to fit the requierments of this kind of hosting websites? At first, you could give us the choice between a regular export, a .zip, an .exe for instance and expand slowly if it turns out there're other formats often requested outside of the original list.
4 - That's really strange. I thought the window didn't appear, like it happened to me sometimes when i was working on 0.7 version. However that bug i have never experienced. It seems like it's not loading the CSS, because that text shouldn't be visible.

Regarding the exe, at least at first, the exe would be another file in the files of your game. In other words, your game wouldn't be converted to a single executable. The exe would be for launching a game offline, instead of opening in a browser. This will probably be needed for technical reasons but also potentially improves offline gaming, for who may prefer this way. So yea, it makes sense when exporting to provide different options, at least one for offline and another for online. These options, as you said, could be regular, zip or maybe exe in the future for offline version.

VideaVice
Projects: Rowan Reed(comp)-A Hunter's Tale(comp)-Paranoid Kid & The Shadow(comp)-Purity(InDev)

#139 Post by VideaVice »

Regarding the executable, I can't wait to see how it'd play out in the next versions.

1 - One last thing I've noticed. It's still about the sound. When I was finishing the VN and I saved then exported the game, all the audio files disappeared from the folder. The blocks and actions were still visible in program but not a single track made it in the export file.

At first I try to manually add(copy/paste) the files in the export file but it didn't work so I had to remove all the sound from the resources and pretty much start over the placing of the sounds.

My VN is fairly short so that was annoying but easy to fix. However if something like that happens to a longer project it might discourage the user from proceeding with Belle.

Here's the zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh7e0jlv1j4hb ... G.zip?dl=0

The exact same .zip was upload to two different websites.
You can compare the final results of that latest export on NG and itch.io. 2 - Also can you explain to me how I can set conditions in the game. Is it even possible ? Normally the player should get the good ending only if they eat one particular food in the kitchen.
So how do I make the if ... = True statement in Belle

freemind
Regular

#140 Post by freemind »

VideaVice wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am Regarding the executable, I can't wait to see how it'd play out in the next versions.

1 - One last thing I've noticed. It's still about the sound. When I was finishing the VN and I saved then exported the game, all the audio files disappeared from the folder. The blocks and actions were still visible in program but not a single track made it in the export file.

At first I try to manually add(copy/paste) the files in the export file but it didn't work so I had to remove all the sound from the resources and pretty much start over the placing of the sounds.

My VN is fairly short so that was annoying but easy to fix. However if something like that happens to a longer project it might discourage the user from proceeding with Belle.

Here's the zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh7e0jlv1j4hb ... G.zip?dl=0

The exact same .zip was upload to two different websites.
You can compare the final results of that latest export on NG and itch.io. 2 - Also can you explain to me how I can set conditions in the game. Is it even possible ? Normally the player should get the good ending only if they eat one particular food in the kitchen.
So how do I make the if ... = True statement in Belle
1- Sorry for the problem you had. Of course in a bigger project those errors cannot happen. However i'm not sure what caused it. Can you give me more details? For example, you said you saved and then exported to another folder, right? So the sounds files disappeared from the save folder and were not copied to export folder? Also by export file, are you talking about game_data.js?

The dropbox link is down, but i was able to check the 2 other sources. Nice work.
I didn't notice any sounds issues in Firefox. What kind of issues did you experience?
I did notice however that the game wouldn't load in Chrome, which is strange. I need to look more into it. Did you have any problems with Chrome?

2- Sure, it's simple, you can use variables for that. So, in that case, you can add a "Set Game Variable" action in the actions of the Menu option that leads to the good ending. Then in that action you set, for example, variable as "good_ending", operator as "Assign" and value "1" (note: use variable and value without quotes).
Then just use "Branch" action where you want the player to go to one ending or the other. To do this, when you create the "Branch" action, open the condition editor (click on Condition box) and add a condition like: "good_ending" (as variable) "equal to" "1" (as value) (again, without quotes). It should appear like this in the Condition box: $good_ending equal to "1".
Now you just need to put the actions you want to execute if that's true and others if false. So you could simply put in the "If True" actions a "Go To Scene" action to go to the good ending scene and to the "If False" actions a "Go To Scene" action to go to the bad ending.

Hope this helps and thanks again for your support.

VideaVice

#141 Post by VideaVice »

Oh boy, Lol. Go have a look at the comment section on Newgrounds. Best test ever!

1 - The sound was in the save folder but not in the export folder. When I was adding the name boxes and the side images, I was constantly saving my progress. So when I was done I saved one last time then I exported the game. The game_data.js was not missing.

And the loading issues are often happening in chrome.

freemind
Regular

#142 Post by freemind »

VideaVice wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:58 am Oh boy, Lol. Go have a look at the comment section on Newgrounds. Best test ever!

1 - The sound was in the save folder but not in the export folder. When I was adding the name boxes and the side images, I was constantly saving my progress. So when I was done I saved one last time then I exported the game. The game_data.js was not missing.

And the loading issues are often happening in chrome.
I saw it, sorry about that. However i'm trying to find out the problem. Can you send me the zip again?

1- So you didn't loose the sound files in the save folder? If that's the case couldn't you have exported again to "fix" the problem?

Thanks.

VideaVice

#143 Post by VideaVice »

1-
So you didn't loose the sound files in the save folder? If that's the case couldn't you have exported again to "fix" the problem?
I did it a couple of time because I clearly remember deleting the folder. The first export didn't have sound playing when I ran the game so I thought I messed up. I deleted it and created a new export file. I ran the game, there were still no sound. Then I checked in program if the sound was still placed and apparently everything was still where I put it. Then when I looked a little closer inside the export file I noticed all tracks were missing. I tried to add them by copying them from the save file but it didn't work (Also I picked the sound in the save file because in the asset file not all sounds were used in game. This is how I can remember the save file had the sound I needed and why copied from here).

Last I deleted all the the sound resources and went back to re-added each sound in program.

Here's the zip

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9MDE ... kNUQ2w5Nms

Thanks. :)

freemind
Regular

#144 Post by freemind »

VideaVice wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 am 1-
So you didn't loose the sound files in the save folder? If that's the case couldn't you have exported again to "fix" the problem?
I did it a couple of time because I clearly remember deleting the folder. The first export didn't have sound playing when I ran the game so I thought I messed up. I deleted it and created a new export file. I ran the game, there were still no sound. Then I checked in program if the sound was still placed and apparently everything was still where I put it. Then when I looked a little closer inside the export file I noticed all tracks were missing. I tried to add them by copying them from the save file but it didn't work (Also I picked the sound in the save file because in the asset file not all sounds were used in game. This is how I can remember the save file had the sound I needed and why copied from here).

Last I deleted all the the sound resources and went back to re-added each sound in program.

Here's the zip

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9MDE ... kNUQ2w5Nms

Thanks. :)
1- Strange. Just to clarify by "export file" and "save file" you mean the "export folder" and "save folder" or are you actually talking about the "game_data.js" file?
Anyway, you could've tried closing the program and reopening it with the saved project and then do the export again. Maybe then it would export correctly.

Thanks for the zip. I've been trying to figure out the issue with Chrome and i've found it's because of the sounds. For some strange reason Chrome is stalling the download of some of the sounds, that's why people get stuck on the loading bar. I'm going to look more into this tomorrow.
Although this is not exactly an issue in Belle, i'm sorry about this problem.

freemind
Regular

#145 Post by freemind »

freemind wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 pm 1- Strange. Just to clarify by "export file" and "save file" you mean the "export folder" and "save folder" or are you actually talking about the "game_data.js" file?
Anyway, you could've tried closing the program and reopening it with the saved project and then do the export again. Maybe then it would export correctly.

Thanks for the zip. I've been trying to figure out the issue with Chrome and i've found it's because of the sounds. For some strange reason Chrome is stalling the download of some of the sounds, that's why people get stuck on the loading bar. I'm going to look more into this tomorrow.
Although this is not exactly an issue in Belle, i'm sorry about this problem.
Hey,

I've been researching about this problem, but i haven't been able to find a good solution yet. However i found a way to prevent the loading bar from getting stuck and allow users to play the game normally. For this to work i had to disable the preloading of the audio, so it will be downloaded as it plays, but if you have a good connection you won't notice practically any difference.

Anyway, if you want in the meantime, you can download the file i attached and place it in your export folder, so you can zip it and send to itch.io again, to try it out.
Let me know if it works better this way.
Attachments
asset_manager.js
(7.13 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

VideaVice

#146 Post by VideaVice »

Hi,

I changed the asset_manager.js. It works well for me.

But somebody else has to play the game since it loaded properly on my laptop. So it might take some time to get a response from the players. I'd let you know if the people who had this loading issue can access the game and see an improvement(or no improvement).

Thanks for your work.

EDIT:

Hey, I got an update for you.

The players managed to load the game on both platforms(itch.io,NG). Thanks for the fix.
I will keep an eye on Belle next version.

Good Luck with that.
See ya :)

freemind
Regular

#147 Post by freemind »

VideaVice wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 am Hi,

I changed the asset_manager.js. It works well for me.

But somebody else has to play the game since it loaded properly on my laptop. So it might take some time to get a response from the players. I'd let you know if the people who had this loading issue can access the game and see an improvement(or no improvement).

Thanks for your work.

EDIT:

Hey, I got an update for you.

The players managed to load the game on both platforms(itch.io,NG). Thanks for the fix.
I will keep an eye on Belle next version.

Good Luck with that.
See ya :)
Good to know. Thanks.

Karl_C
Veteran

#148 Post by Karl_C »

VideaVice wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 am But somebody else has to play the game since it loaded properly on my laptop. So it might take some time to get a response from the players. I'd let you know if the people who had this loading issue can access the game and see an improvement(or no improvement).
I played your game on a Linux machine with Chromium browser without problems.

BTW: The game is really good. I like your graphics and writing. But "kid searching for his missing grand-mother" isn't a perfect description for a 16+ (?) game, is it? ;)

VideaVice

#149 Post by VideaVice »

I played your game on a Linux machine with Chromium browser without problems.

BTW: The game is really good. I like your graphics and writing. But "kid searching for his missing grand-mother" isn't a perfect description for a 16+ (?) game, is it? ;)
Glad to hear it worked.

Also yeah maybe the description is ... a little *lite* ... but I couldn't let the people know what grand-ma is doing on her free time, could I?

I see if I can come up with something else later.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

MZT66600

#150 Post by MZT66600 »

how do i use the user input to give the player a name