Requiescence [BxB][Romance][Fantasy]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

Requiescence [BxB][Romance][Fantasy]

#1 Post by Dovahkitteh »

>>DOWNLOAD ON ITCH.IO<<

>>DOWNLOAD ON STEAM<<

>>DOWNLOAD ON GOOGLE PLAY<<

Requiescence is now available for purchase on Itch.io and Steam for $10! The free demo is still available (and voiced!).

Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Adventure, BL
Rating: 16+ [General Version], 18+ [Full Version]
Progress: ~98% complete

124,000 words
3 different (romance) routes
6 different endings
23 CGs
・ A 13-track OST
Partial English voice acting
・ An experience of adventure, mystery, and trials

Requiescence follows the story of Kymil, a young mage who
sets out on an adventure to discover the mystery behind his uncle's death.
Along his journey through an arcane, mysterious cathedral, Kymil meets
a number of powerful friends - and enemies.

Inspired by the famous Nitro+CHiRAL games, Requiescence aims to present
a spiraling story and intriguing characters along with engaging romance routes,
all entwining to form a rich experience.

Kymil is a young ice mage on a quest to unravel the mystery behind his uncle's
death. Somewhat reserved and slow to trust others, he is a curious and
determined young man -- with a mysterious secret he isn't even
aware of.

Carrault is a cold, detached man with a strong hatred for mages.
His brusque, straightforward manner can make him seem
callous and unfeeling, but he's extremely perceptive
and attuned to those around him.

Damian is a spirited, playful young fighter who loves to make fun of
others. He's got a sharp wit and enjoys using it at every opportunity
possible. He comes to the cathedral with a hidden goal that
would be impossible to guess from his cheery exterior...

Kaul is an experienced adventurer and renowned fire mage.
Suave and confident, he knows many secrets and yet rarely
shares them. He also happens to be entirely blind, but luckily,
a mage always has a few tricks up his sleeve.

It's been a year of hard travel, but finally, the young mage Kymil arrives at his destination.

He's a Cyromancer - a spellcaster who wields the power of ice to smite down his enemies. Kymil learned how to harness his power thanks to his uncle, a well-renowned adventurer who hunted down treasure on every corner of the continent.

But his uncle was murdered in his home by an unknown assailant, and Kymil is driven to uncover the mystery behind his death. The only clue he has is an unfinished entry in his uncle's notes about a mysterious cathedral in the middle of the sprawling Dead Plains...

When he arrives at the cathedral, Kymil has no idea what he's searching for or where to go. But something in him presses him forward, and he's determined to figure out the cathedral's secrets, no matter how dire the cost.

For future updates, follow us on

Twitter

Facebook

Tumblr
Last edited by Dovahkitteh on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

Hoosha
Regular

Re: Requiescence [BxB][Romance][Fantasy]

#2 Post by Hoosha »

I just finished my first route!! This was a very well put together game considering how low you guys set your kickstarter goal thing ($1500 goal but you got $1900).

=] The story is pretty interesting so you guys can play even if you aren't super thrilled about romancing cute boys. It has a pg-13 version and a 18+ version which has hot sex if you're into that but the cgs aren't that explicit. I think I saw the beginning of a shaft of a penis maybe?? I'm glad the game is actually good because there aren't that many BL games being released in english nowadays =[ not that there've ever been that many released anyway.

Carrault was the first route I beat so now I'm gonna go do Kaul's hehe. I'm just a little sad you can't romance the monk but w/e =[

buy the game

bye

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#3 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Hoosha wrote:I just finished my first route!! This was a very well put together game considering how low you guys set your kickstarter goal thing ($1500 goal but you got $1900).

=] The story is pretty interesting so you guys can play even if you aren't super thrilled about romancing cute boys. It has a pg-13 version and a 18+ version which has hot sex if you're into that but the cgs aren't that explicit. I think I saw the beginning of a shaft of a penis maybe?? I'm glad the game is actually good because there aren't that many BL games being released in english nowadays =[ not that there've ever been that many released anyway.

Carrault was the first route I beat so now I'm gonna go do Kaul's hehe. I'm just a little sad you can't romance the monk but w/e =[

buy the game

bye
Thank you so much!! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it :mrgreen: We plan to set a higher goal next time so we can afford more art and music!

Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

Dovahkitteh wrote:
Hoosha wrote:I just finished my first route!! This was a very well put together game considering how low you guys set your kickstarter goal thing ($1500 goal but you got $1900).

buy the game

bye
Thank you so much!! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it :mrgreen: We plan to set a higher goal next time so we can afford more art and music!
I saw the Steam trailer, and woooo boy those kiss CGs. Question: just how explicit are the sex CGs? i.e. what are we seeing and not seeing?

MilanaWalters
Regular

#5 Post by MilanaWalters »

Voted on Steam! though i already bought it:P

I had a blast playing it, Carrault, as expected, is my favorite, i want to try Damien's route but i cant, it feels like cheating lol im so weird:D

Thank you so much for all your efforts and i hope you keep making more games!

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#6 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Zelan wrote: I saw the Steam trailer, and woooo boy those kiss CGs. Question: just how explicit are the sex CGs? i.e. what are we seeing and not seeing?
Asking the important questions! :wink: The 18+ CGs are uncensored and show the nude characters fully, with some being more explicit than others (i.e. showing our lovely uke's dangly bits).
MilanaWalters wrote:Voted on Steam! though i already bought it:P

I had a blast playing it, Carrault, as expected, is my favorite, i want to try Damien's route but i cant, it feels like cheating lol im so weird:D

Thank you so much for all your efforts and i hope you keep making more games!
Thank you for the kind words and for supporting us! <3 Carrault seems to be the growing favorite, because who doesn't love tsunderes?

Image Image

Makina1994
Deviantart: Makina1994

#7 Post by Makina1994 »

I just purchased the game, so I haven't seen any gameplay, but it looks amazing, and I really wanted to support any games in this vein that were in English. We need more of them; there's just not enough for me to fangirl over yet~ I'm looking forward to playing this game!

shadowkazaki
Regular
Projects: Descendant of the Moon

#8 Post by shadowkazaki »

I finally finished the game.
3 days after I purchased it, I have completed it!
I started out with Damian, Carrault, then Kaul with both endings.
I admit a lot of the story made me cry, every bitter death for the amazing characters and the emotions tied to them.
Thank you so much for making such a beautiful, memorable, and unique game! <3

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#9 Post by Dovahkitteh »

We're thrilled to say Requiescence has just released on Steam! Check out the game and let us know what you think!

We’re also very happy to say that we’ve released some merchandise for Requiescence! You can check out some of our fun products on Zazzle and Redbubble.
(Now you can get the chibi Requiescence necktie you’ve always wanted.)

Image Image

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#10 Post by Lesleigh63 »

The look of the characters drew me to this, plus it's BL, 18+ and you mentioned nitrochiral (although I prefer the softer treatment in your VN to what nitrochiral can dish up).

Really enjoyed the writing style - it was compact and concise.
Lovely atmosphere created with the music.
Didn't mind the voice acting - I think it added to the experience.
Didn't see Carrault's bad ending, although I think it is hinted at earlier (so a nice surprise there) - the other endings I was expecting although there were still surprises in Kaul's route.
Plotwise - I felt the fighting scenes were becoming a bit monotonous - would have preferred to have seen something different thrown in to help break it up and move the plot along.
Lovely art with respect to sprites and CGs.
Nice looking UI.
Enjoyed the game.

Things that could be visited next time...
Better backgrounds.

Keep up the good work.

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#11 Post by Dovahkitteh »

(As you can tell, we spared no expense on a celebratory birthday picture)

Happy Birthday, Requiescence!
Exactly one year ago today, we released our first visual novel into the world – Requiescence! It’s pretty hard to believe; we’ve come a long way since then and learned so much during development that Requiescence seems like a distant memory. Now, as we prepare to release our second game within the next couple of months, the two of us at Argent Games wanted to celebrate Req’s birthday with a few goodies.

For one day only, Requiescence is available at 50% off on Itch.io! If you’ve wanted to give it a try but never had a chance to purchase the game, here’s your golden opportunity!

We’ve also released the character backstories for the very first time. In the game itself, the love interests discuss their own histories to a limited extent, so if you’ve ever been curious about Kaul and Carrault’s spicy past or Damian’s inner turmoil, you can download the free PDF on our Itch page!

Finally, the Requiescence artbook – formerly only attainable through Kickstarter – is now also available on Itch! It contains some sketches and WIPs, along with a few lore tidbits and fun behind-the-scenes snippets.

A giant thank-you to everyone who supported us during Req’s development back in 2016. Without you, we wouldn’t have been able to make Chess of Blades – a project with much more art, voice acting, and higher production quality all around! Req lifted Argent Games off the ground, and we plan to keep improving the quality of our projects with each new release.

Image Image

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#12 Post by illuminate001 »

Oh wow, Happy birthday!!! :D

That's a really monumental milestone for you guys. Congratulations are definitely in order.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jain
Regular

#13 Post by Jain »

Liked the art so I decided to check out the demo, and I'm glad I did. Here's my overall impressions as I moved through the demo.

Intro felt way too long for me, too "disconnected". I would have liked the history of everything worked into smaller sections, more naturally into the story. The pacing in the beginning might flow better if the VN began instead with Kymil is on his horse. Kymil remembering a good memory with his uncle to sort of illustrate why he's making his dangerous trek now would have been very welcome here.

Age intro in a puddle of water is weird. Why not just have another character ask? (Edit: there's plenty of characters later, so it's really just not needed here).

"The arches are reminiscent of the ancient grand temples that used to be revered places of worship" I would have liked to see more casual references to the greater world instead of bland ones (or overlong overexposure from the prologue). Revered by who? Where? Did the people or temple locations have a name? Does it remind Kymil of places he's been to? I know it's essentially a throwaway line but this would have been a quick easy place to throw in more detail to flesh out the world.

"I wonder if he's watching me from whatever afterlife there might be." Again, another missed opportunity to flesh out the world. Do these people believe in an afterlife? Does the religion have a name? Was the uncle religious? A few extra words again, could have gone a long way.

Maybe would have liked to see the uncle's note or see a recap of it.

Also hah, running through a strange and seemingly abandoned location. Don't go slowly or check for traps or anything.

Starting to wonder about this place. Why hasn't it been looted or locked up. Why was it so easy to access?! Is distance and the hostileness of the region enough deterrence for all but the hardiest of explorers (and grief driven nephews)?

"This is not what I was expecting" actually what WERE you expecting? Lemme get a look at that note!

If this place is empty who turned on all the lights-is Kymil expecting this place to be unoccupied? What is the name of this place and if it's supposed to be unoccupied why isn't Kymil worried that the lights are lit?

Oh sure, go do blood ritual without any further exploration or knowledge as to what it might result in. I'm sure it'll turn out just fine-it usually does in Dragon Age.

Is blood magic common? Is it commonly seen as a good art or a bad art? Has Kymil done blood magic before? Is he comfortable with it? He doesn't seem to know what he's doing-here would be a few good places to spend a few extra sentences on details like this.

Maybe K should have read ALL the runes before opening the door to hell, dude.

"His voice is deep and thick like an old and neglected instrument, full of dust." What kind of instrument? Drums? Cymbals? Harp? If I'm being serious I'd suggest Cello but since I'm feeling silly I'll say Harp. Also, the description here is mixed- it starts out as a comparison of the way the man's voice sounds to an instrument, and "old" as an additional description could maybe work, how does a voice sound full of dust?

"Who are you and what is this place"? Uhh, shouldn't K have even the faintest idea where he's spend all this time traveling towards? Why does he need to ask this guy?

Is blood magical spirit summoning Demon-eyes-Kyo a common thing? Kymil is taking this spirit summoning remarkably well.

What the hell is a frigid spark? Why not just "a bolt of unease, or a shudder of repulsion/fear/insert reaction here?

Also it's random but funny but it looks to me like the Monk is holding a broom and is about to do the street sweeper song from Mary Poppins.

"It feels like I'm descending into the bowels of the earth" yes, yes you are. That usually happens when you open a portal to hell.

"I'm so far from the rest of humanity no one would ever find my corpse if I died here." Well there's probably no one else stupid enough to wander into a random cathedral in the middle of nowhere and follow the blood magic instructions of some random runes written by who-the-hell-knows for who-the hell-knows what purpose so you're right that no one would ever find your corpse.

Kymil shudders "at the morbid picture" -- at the thought of dying alone in that abyss but not at the prospect of a blood ritual to accomplish a completely unknown end?

"I've been descending for a while...." anyone remember that SCP with the unending stairwell?

"I can detect magic from the door but it's not normal magic" What IS normal magic anyways? Blood magic?

Wait, we get a random "abandon all hope he who enter here" note from some poor dead bastard but we don't get to see or learn the details of the uncle's note that started this whole quest?

"I have to re-read the note a few times to process it fully". Our hero's not too bright, is he? How hard is it to understand "Run bitch, run for yo life, get some help!"? Speaking of brightness, how is our hero able to read the letter at the bottom of a dark stairwell ? A torch? A candle? A magical hand light? Few seconds later it's mentioned that it was "incredibly dark inside the stairwell" so unless he has Tremor Sight or something I'm calling bullshit that he could read that scrap of parchment.

"Concentrate." I just wanted to note here that the screen with the flashing light legitimately made me wince. I might be blind now. Your bill is in the mail.

There's a lot of extra detail in places that doesn't really add anything for me. For instance "The pale flame flickers from side to side as I start to quietly make my way down the stone path". Try adding something else-maybe the way the light wavers throws strange shadows across the uneven surfaces of the walls.

"I can hear scuffling and shouting echoing in the distance" male voices? Female voices? Too faint to tell? Are they shouting in a language he understands? Details damn it!

"My boots practically glide along the icy stone, faster and faster" I'm expecting him to slip and fall any second now, unless he cast a spell of sure footing someplace and I didn't notice. Running to reach the fighters section seems like it goes on a bit too long. Is he that out of shape? A few too many descriptions of him just running-he not even slipping or anything. Get to the damn point! Edit: "this place distorts time in some strange fashion" okay that section makes a bit more sense this time. I would probably add in a line that K has the sense that it's taking longer to get to where the man is fighting the dogs than it should as a little hint because it seems a little sloppy.

OMG a fight scene! Bring on the babes!

"He has a head of long blond hair and a band of cloth over his forehead keeps it out of his eyes" (lol and yet I still see some hair draped artfully quite close to his eyes). In addition, I feel like this description is unnecessary- we can see the character sprite clearly. Some details could be useful- like the fact that he's covered in blood but here the focus should be more on K's impressions of this Zenos yae Galvus look-alike.

"I can already tell he's someone who lives south of my homeland" Also, where is K's homeland and where in what "south" region is he assuming this person is from? Does it not have a name? How far from this location is this cathedral?

"His fine outfit, his regal posture... he's certainly a Noble of some sort." The outfit I'll give you. Would probably save the regal posture bit (having trouble imagining that, actually) until after he opens his mouth.

"How in the sky's name did you get past Bella?" Silly. I didn't read those awful vampire books.

"I've traveled for a year to get here. I am not going back" K traveled for a whole year and didn't give a single thought as to finding anything out about the place while on the way?

"I tense. A long story by this man's definition would kill me before the cathedral could." I giggled.

"The strange, abrupt transition from a massive hall into an icy cave" uhh, it made sense to me. Didn't he go down an endless staircase and then enter the icy cave? Nothing seems strange to me, that the blood magic runes-monk-spirit-cathedral has an unfinished basement.

Damian: "Perhaps they're borne of a magic known only to old wizards with their noses buried in ancient, dusty tomes." At this point I'm saddened because while Damian seems to know a bit more about this place by trial and error it seems he's about as clueless as K. Getting annoyed by all these questions without even a suggestion of a few possible answres. Maybe they could discuss a few ideas about what might be the cause or the history of this place-they don't have to be right but it's something I would like to hear at this point.

Ohh, illusions! I like it!

Damian "Of course. I had to blemish my perfect complexion with a cut in order to sate the damn thing." Oh, goddamn it, there is more than one great idiot in this universe, who will just bleed because some runes said so. Actually he seems a bit worse than K - using the word complexion kinda implies to me that he cut his face instead of his arm or hand or something.

OMG they're actually taking a moment to discuss all this magic stuff!

"I know piss all about magic but I think it's wise to be careful around these things". Ah yes, I TOTALLY see how submitting yourself to a random blood ritual is playing it safe. ".... this sort seems especially fishy". BLOOD MAGIC IS FISHY?! You don't say!!!

K: "My eyes drift closed and I let myself linger deep in my thoughts" I actually like this section, I just wish there was a little more detail there: which people aside from his mother is K thinking of now? Why did some locations leave an impact on him, what experiences did he have there, that he is remembering them now?

Damian; "I mean you look rather unseasoned, you know? There aren't any hairs on your chin, even." None on yours either, D. Also, this doesn't sound as posh and highborn as D was being described earlier.

D "... you've traveled a year, but for what exactly? Do you even know why you're here?" OMG rashness doesn't excuse traveling alone for a full year without a care for what lay at the end of that journey!

"You can read Peccatum too?" OMG the runes do have a name! That would have been nice to know at the beginning in the first scene with the runes.

K "I'd better be careful or I'm going to wind up with a scar" Yeah, don't worry about the blood magic ritual or anything, at least you won't have a scar! I didn't get the impression that K was vain.

K and D "Should we really go through with this?" - ".... I'm not sure we have a choice" You freaking idiots had every chance not to choose to go through with this!

K "I never went to a mage school, but I don't think they encourage blood rituals-" OH I WONDER WHY!!

D "Well the last altar didn't have any horrible consequences" -Yet. That you know of. And you had no idea that would be the case before you two started with blood magic shenanigans.

"A wiry man with dark hair, standing near the door with his arms folded over his chest." Again, we can see this characters sprite so there isn't a need to describe him again, since for the most part we can see what K sees. In addition it sorta contradicts what we see here - this character doesn't look very wiry to me at all. He looks brawny, substantial. Does K have a different idea of "wiry"? In what other ways does his perspective differ?

?? "I'd like to give you a slow painful death, like every spellslinger deserves." Well, if you don't, K's stupidity might take care of it.

D "Chopping our heads off? Hang on a bloody moment!" Since when did D become British?

"I've heard tales that some regions aren't fond of mages but this seems extreme." What tales? Which regions? Where? What are their names? Why is there a mistrust of mages? No need for an essay, but an additional few lines like, "the last king of xxx had been assassinated by a mage, and the distrustful sentiment still lingered, even ten years following the event" could really flesh out the world here.

??? "Very few people know that this place even exists." How? Why not?

K "His height means it only takes a moment for him to be standing a couple feet in front of me." What I get out of this sentence is that he's crossing the distance between them by taking long strides. If that's the case I think it could be worded a little better here.

Kaul "You needn't worry while I'm around. I'll make sure he doesn't try to stick the point end of his blade where it doesn't belong." Ahahahahahahha~ innuendo!

C "When we're done with this ridiculous alliance, I'll cut it off and shove it down your throat." Easy, C. He's very easily provoked, isn't he? He's coming off as a bit too one note here for me at this point but I suppose there's time for that to change."

Kaul "Carrault hates all mages. A bitterness that lingers from his time living in Nahor." OMG a place with a name!

If Kaul is blind maybe it could have been mentioned a bit before that when he turns towards other people he's not looking directly at them- a mention here and there would help set this up for this reveal.

Kaul "Little of what I know is certain. I could only glean information from old history books and hearsay." I wish SOME PEOPLE had tried to do the same before showing up at this blasted cathedral.

K "I'd rather know something than nothing at all." Then why did you get here so unprepared?!

Interesting visions, went on the Kaul route.

Demo End

Overall Pros:

Character sprites

Backgrounds look suitably creepy, a decent number of different looking ones

Nice lighting effects

An interesting set up for the story, an intriguing mystery to unravel.

Overall Cons:

The frequent use of dark backgrounds make them all sorta run together in my mind.

Takes a little too long for any basic information about this cathedral to be revealed.

Basic world detail is lacking in a lot of areas.

Would love some more information about Kymil and especially his uncle.

I'm glad I decided to check this out. I'm definitely interested in seeing your next project.

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#14 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Wow, thank you for the incredibly detailed reply, Artalija! I definitely agree with a lot of your comments -- many of them are things we noticed ourselves later on in development. Unfortunately, due to voice acting and time constraints from Kickstarter, we didn't really get to go back and revise a lot of the things we wanted to. I would like to remake parts of Req one day, certainly; I think it suffers in a number of ways from "First Project" syndrome.

If you decide to play the full game, I think you'll see a few of the things you mentioned resolved (more information about Kymil/his uncle, for example).

We also tried to remedy a lot of the mistakes we made in Req for our current project, Chess of Blades. The absurdly long prologue/intro is certainly one of them.
If you're interested in playing the demo for COB as well, we'd love to hear more of your detailed feedback on its Lemma thread! It's super helpful to hear this kind of commentary from an unbiased viewpoint. :)

Image Image

Jain
Regular

#15 Post by Jain »

I'm definitely interested in checking out Chess of Blades!