K9-11 Pet Emergency! Ep 1 [Comedy] [Free] [Demo] [Cute]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

K9-11 Pet Emergency! Ep 1 [Comedy] [Free] [Demo] [Cute]

#1 Post by skyeworks »

MISS WATCHING CARTOONS!?
WANT TO SEE SOMETHING CHEESY AND SILLY?! PLAY THIS GAME!!!
CAN'T GET ENOUGH CHEESE? THEN THIS GAME IS FOR YOU! DON'T LIKE CHEESE?!
HOW DARE YOU, YOU HORRIBLE HEATHEN! GO AWAY
PLEASE PLAY MY GAME ANYWAYS. I'M DESPERATE

Hey, Pets. Owners being mean? Giving you too many baths when you smell perfectly fine like that skunk that you just rolled over this morning? Introducing the K9-11 police office! A dog run police office created just for situations just like this! (Like a mix between Secret Agent and cop) Help other dogs out with their problems while trying to solve the mystery of who framed your father of joining up with the EVIL cats! WAIT! Did you say that there's a squirrel outside your window AND IT'S RUNNING AROUND?!?! HOLD UP! CALL THE ENTIRE FORCE!!! WE NEED BACK UP!! K9-11 Dog police force for Dogs by Dogs!

You play as a Good boy fixing Solving Important Pet emegencies such as

Where did that ball go?
I want what dad is eating!
Running away of a machine of immense power that is sucking away the life off of floors.
Help me HIDE from the vet!
How to PROTECT the house from EVIL EVIL MAILMEN?
And MORE

Lot's of zany cute Good boys/girls with problems. UNIQUE PORTRAITS AND TOTALLY NOT A RECOLOR. (okay, I lied about one or two.)

ImageImage
(AND MORE because there's way too many dogs in the picture already and Squeezing in all the dogs would make it hard to see them.)
BUT WAIT HERES MORE:

Evil. Sassy. Cats
(well, they aren't totally evil but let's not pretend they are good. )

Also note: her "hair" is not a dye job but like some colors of Afghan Hounds
have that kind of coloration.

(I'm planing on doing a sequel which will include cat problems, Birds, fish, lizards, rodents AND SNEKS...but only if people are interested.)
Completed:
~Writing- (Got the summary and the first chapter done. Game will be short so I can finish it!)
~Sprite Art---99% (I'm actually done, but there would be times where surprised! I need another expression. so leaving this at 99%)
~Illustrations -
~Background art -
~User Interface 100% (YAY)
~Coding ~20%

Link can be found Right here!
OR
HERES A MIRROR
]

I put in a simple leveling system thing!
Pass or fail the calls!

Comic book like cutscenes when you send in the hounds!

Questions:

Is the art okay? Is flat coloring okay for this or should I shade this? (I actually never really drew dogs, cats that often....I'm actually usually drawing people.)
Would you play something like this? (it's not a otome or bishojo novel and you don't romance anyone except doggy treats.)
Do you like the characters so far?
What would you like to see from this game?
Any general comments?
The demo is short but is it interesting? Did you like any of the dogs?
It's my fun, silly game, hopefully the comedy isn't cringey.
Last edited by skyeworks on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dark Sentinel
Regular
Completed: Five in Frills

Re: K9-11 Pet Emergency! Ep 1 [Comedy] [Free] [Demo] [Cute]

#2 Post by Dark Sentinel »

1. Art is okay. Flat color looks good enough... well, if unsure, try shading, if unsure even after that show it people around and let them decide. But I'm okay with the flat color. it sorta fits.
2. Lol yes. Even if I'm not really the dog person. Though romancing dog treats?..
3. Yuuuup.
4. Honestly? En Dachshund viz terrible terrible German accent for ze love. And hopefully not only phone action. I mean, it's not a bad thing, but well, field operations would be good as well.
5. Nothing really.
6. Demo is good. Needs more dogs, so far Sean and Tarzan would be around "best".

Good luck with further development!
щ (ºДº ) щ

PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

#3 Post by PMscenarios »

Is the art okay? Is flat coloring okay for this or should I shade this? (I actually never really drew dogs, cats that often....I'm actually usually drawing people.)
Is the art amazing? No, but it seems fine and even charming for the concept. I guess the cover image/main menu pic is the weakest for me.
Would you play something like this? (it's not a otome or bishojo novel and you don't romance anyone except doggy treats.)
Well, I did try to download the demo, so I'm clearly interested, unfortunately the way you classified the "pc" version means the itchio app doesn't let me download it because it's "not available on windows".
Not all stories need to be romance. I like the idea, and the unique perspective of having it come from a dog's view.
Sure. They're more fleshed out than I was expecting from a pitch like this.

Can't really comment on anything else until I've played the demo.
(I could download it outside the app, but then I'd never get around to playing it)
ImageImageImage

skyeworks
Regular

#4 Post by skyeworks »

Dark Sentinel wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 am 1. Art is okay. Flat color looks good enough... well, if unsure, try shading, if unsure even after that show it people around and let them decide. But I'm okay with the flat color. it sorta fits.
2. Lol yes. Even if I'm not really the dog person. Though romancing dog treats?..
3. Yuuuup.
4. Honestly? En Dachshund viz terrible terrible German accent for ze love. And hopefully not only phone action. I mean, it's not a bad thing, but well, field operations would be good as well.
5. Nothing really.
6. Demo is good. Needs more dogs, so far Sean and Tarzan would be around "best".

Good luck with further development!
:D Haha, Basically that was my thought process as well! I didn't shade them not for lack of talent insert messy colored thingy here (Warning curse words.) I wanted to kinda do flat like tom and jerry or loony toons but I didn't know if people might not like it. Like say sometimes certain styles would turn people off and I wanted to avoid that but if flat is working then it's great for me!

Eh, It's not really romancing haha mostly a one sided love where a dog would stare lovingly at the doggy treat but alas it's on top of the kitchen counter and it's a really beautiful and sad story where the Dog Romeo cannot meet his beautiful and precious Juliet. ISN'T IT SO TRAGIC?!

4= OH MY GOD I DID NOT INCLUDE A WIENER DOG THAT SPEAKS BAD GERMAN I HAVE TO FIX THAT ASAP. THAT IS AMAZING. As a Agent, hmm I have to see if I can use him for something!

5-Sean is one of my favorites. I love writing his interactions with Rex. A dog that speaks in all caps. He's crazy. "WE MUST ELIMINATE THE SQUIRREL THREAT"

Also, I want to ask you if you tried to "send in the hounds" at any point? My sister said that people might abuse that.

skyeworks
Regular

#5 Post by skyeworks »

PMscenarios wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:21 pm Is the art okay? Is flat coloring okay for this or should I shade this? (I actually never really drew dogs, cats that often....I'm actually usually drawing people.)
Is the art amazing? No, but it seems fine and even charming for the concept. I guess the cover image/main menu pic is the weakest for me.
Well, I did try to download the demo, so I'm clearly interested, unfortunately the way you classified the "pc" version means the itchio app doesn't let me download it because it's "not available on windows".
Not all stories need to be romance. I like the idea, and the unique perspective of having it come from a dog's view.
Sure. They're more fleshed out than I was expecting from a pitch like this.

Can't really comment on anything else until I've played the demo.
(I could download it outside the app, but then I'd never get around to playing it)

OMG I AM SO SORRY! it's my first time using itchio (Literately just made an account so I can upload this game somewhere.) I think I fixed it. I didn't know I had to classify the games. haha. I just uploaded it and thought I was done. When you commented, I JUST NOTICED THAT I COULD CLASSIFY IT. haha

and I also took a precaution of uploading on my drive as a mirror here.

Hopefully, you can play it, now. Thank you so much for telling me! I would have never known about the classifying things.

The storyline is pretty light-hearted and well not too serious.

PMscenarios
Regular

#6 Post by PMscenarios »

I just downloaded the demo through the app, so it seems to be working fine now.
ImageImageImage

skyeworks
Regular

#7 Post by skyeworks »

Some new UPDATES!:
NEW MENU. (okay so I just switch the colors a bit so it would flow better)

I put in a simple leveling system thing!
Pass or fail the calls!

Comic book like cutscenes when you send in the hounds!

PMscenarios
Regular

#8 Post by PMscenarios »

I finally got around to playing this, and I ended up absolutely loving it!

Everything is bright and cheerful, but most of all, Rex's emoting is soo good. It made him immediately endearing to me - especially his pouty face and his aggressive/engaged face.
Have to confess though, I just solved every situation by sending in the hounds, because it was just too much fun. Owner in bathroom? SEND IN THE HOUNDS! Ball gone? SEND IN THE HOUNDS! :lol:

Also really intrigued by what happened with Rex's father. Conspiracy? Frame-job? :shock:

Gonna play through it again and actually try to answer the calls properly this time..

Keep it up!

Writing is good, there's some mistakes and misspellings that look like they were just not caught in editing, but overall not much to note.
ImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

This looks hilarious. Campy comedy games like this are so much fun, especially as a break between playing longer, more serious visual novels. I played qualifiedbadger's "Date a Fidget Spinner" games the other day and I figure I can expect something just as entertaining here. ^_^

also i would totally play a cat sequel after this one is finished

skyeworks
Regular

#10 Post by skyeworks »

HELLO EVERYONE!

I AM ALIVE! YAY!

Due to hurricane Harvey, I had to put this project on hold but now I am actively working on this project again!

I have finished a second demo part on this project (Then I"ll just finish the rest of this project) But this is important because it introduces all major characters in this one as well as set the game's objective!

I'm pretty excited for this! But one thing is that It's not going to be a short game anymore.

https://skyefrost.itch.io/k9-11-emergen ... econd-demo

skyeworks
Regular

#11 Post by skyeworks »

PMscenarios wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:34 am I finally got around to playing this, and I ended up absolutely loving it!

Everything is bright and cheerful, but most of all, Rex's emoting is soo good. It made him immediately endearing to me - especially his pouty face and his aggressive/engaged face.
Have to confess though, I just solved every situation by sending in the hounds, because it was just too much fun. Owner in bathroom? SEND IN THE HOUNDS! Ball gone? SEND IN THE HOUNDS! :lol:

Also really intrigued by what happened with Rex's father. Conspiracy? Frame-job? :shock:

Gonna play through it again and actually try to answer the calls properly this time..

Keep it up!

Writing is good, there's some mistakes and misspellings that look like they were just not caught in editing, but overall not much to note.
Sorry for the REALLY REALLY late reply!
1: Rex's emoting is my favorite! I wanted him to be the most expressive dog since the dog he was based on was like that as well!
2: That's was something that I was kinda conflicted about! I loved the idea of sending the hounds for everything and it just makes it that much funnier but I was torn between putting something so that people cannot do so or a penalty or just simply let people play the way they want to.
3: This will be answered soon~
4: hahahaha! :oops: I do not have a proofreader so what I do is that I just play the game a bunch of times and read it out loud. And Grammar is a kinda weakness of mine! I tried fixing a whole bunch of them. :D I'll have to work hard to try to reread more!
Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:56 pm This looks hilarious. Campy comedy games like this are so much fun, especially as a break between playing longer, more serious visual novels. I played qualifiedbadger's "Date a Fidget Spinner" games the other day and I figure I can expect something just as entertaining here. ^_^

also i would totally play a cat sequel after this one is finished
Sorry for the REALLY REALLY late reply!
YAY! I love comedy games too! I hope you would like it as well! Though to compare it to "Date a fidget spinner" is such an honor lol. I cannot compete in humor, honestly!
I'm probably not going to make a cat sequel, but fingers cross if people like this game enough!

niannn
Regular
Completed: Keynote, Die.Alone?, The Villaintine
Projects: The Villaintine: Sepia
Tumblr: niaaannn
itch: niannn

#12 Post by niannn »

Is the art okay? Is flat coloring okay for this or should I shade this? Yes ~ I'm actually all pro with flat colors xD (since it's easier to do more sprites and all but I do agree with one comment that if it needs shading then that's okay xD)
Would you play something like this? Yes :D (see more on my itch.io review, hehe)
Do you like the characters so far? I love them all and I like how you are able to capture dog traits and add some humanized qualities as well
What would you like to see from this game? I would say more shenanigans but I think you already have that nailed down :D
Any general comments? I'm looking forward to this and would love to know more about where you based the characters on or their actual real-life counterparts
The demo is short but is it interesting? Did you like any of the dogs? It's fun and interesting :D I like all of the dogs, especially Rex

That being said, I'm looking forward to the full release of this VN :D
Image Image ImageImage

skyeworks
Regular

#13 Post by skyeworks »

niannn wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:57 am Is the art okay? Is flat coloring okay for this or should I shade this? Yes ~ I'm actually all pro with flat colors xD (since it's easier to do more sprites and all but I do agree with one comment that if it needs shading then that's okay xD)
Would you play something like this? Yes :D (see more on my itch.io review, hehe)
Do you like the characters so far? I love them all and I like how you are able to capture dog traits and add some humanized qualities as well
What would you like to see from this game? I would say more shenanigans but I think you already have that nailed down :D
Any general comments? I'm looking forward to this and would love to know more about where you based the characters on or their actual real-life counterparts
The demo is short but is it interesting? Did you like any of the dogs? It's fun and interesting :D I like all of the dogs, especially Rex

Oh, good. I just didn't want to shade because having to shade on top of the many dogs I wanted to add seems like a lot of work. (Though I would totally be okay with it if I didn't have to program, :3 I love making the arts but the programming is what eats up the time.) Especially this is supposed to be a small game but turned longer. (It was a parody of crime buddy cop movies)

Though it's my fault as I just make things as needed having a basic outline as opposed to doing everything (writing it all out first with placeholders then doing the arts last)

Oh, there will be more shenanigans, especially with Rex as the main character! He's all fired up now and Uncle sparky probably can stop him. I was afraid with a huge cast of characters that there might be one or two that might need work but I'm glad that this isn't an issue! :D I'll probably put those (Info about the dogs. Real vs game) in extras or during the credits. More pictures! I hope I'll get to finish this time barring no hurricane!

niannn
Regular
Completed: Keynote, Die.Alone?, The Villaintine
Projects: The Villaintine: Sepia
Tumblr: niaaannn
itch: niannn

#14 Post by niannn »

skyeworks wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:57 am
niannn wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:57 am Is the art okay? Is flat coloring okay for this or should I shade this? Yes ~ I'm actually all pro with flat colors xD (since it's easier to do more sprites and all but I do agree with one comment that if it needs shading then that's okay xD)

Oh, good. I just didn't want to shade because having to shade on top of the many dogs I wanted to add seems like a lot of work. (Though I would totally be okay with it if I didn't have to program, :3 I love making the arts but the programming is what eats up the time.) Especially this is supposed to be a small game but turned longer. (It was a parody of crime buddy cop movies)

Though it's my fault as I just make things as needed having a basic outline as opposed to doing everything (writing it all out first with placeholders then doing the arts last)

Oh, there will be more shenanigans, especially with Rex as the main character! He's all fired up now and Uncle sparky probably can stop him. I was afraid with a huge cast of characters that there might be one or two that might need work but I'm glad that this isn't an issue! :D I'll probably put those (Info about the dogs. Real vs game) in extras or during the credits. More pictures! I hope I'll get to finish this time barring no hurricane!
I know right xD if I didn't have to shade than I wouldn't do it since it will be faster to create sprites while making sure that you take note of everything that needs to be done. As I watched in the Game Dev Underground Channel, there's always a 10% that although tedious needs to be done (am I making sense? haha). And yep, programming does take time so sometimes I try to not make my VN complicated as well.

And I really liked your idea and the overall art (it makes me look forward to the game more!). I'm looking forward to the shenanigans and to know certain key characters (and know what's really up with Rex's Dad). Also, yay, extras (I really want to know more about what dogs they are inspired off of)! Anyways, will we ever see a human character? Like Rex's owner perhaps? Like see Rex live the double life of being a good boy and a good boy cop ?
Image Image ImageImage

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

#15 Post by bobconway »

This... is exactly what I needed right now. It's adorable and looks polished and has adorable animals in it. What isn't to love?

Is the art okay? Is flat coloring okay for this or should I shade this?
I think it looks fine, and works well for the game

Would you play something like this?
Yes!

Yes! They all have such personality, even if they're just calling in briefly. I really like the interactions between the gruff older uncle and the eager young recruit (Sparky and Rex).
The character portraits are also super adorable, and emotive.

What would you like to see from this game?
Just... more, I guess. This is exactly what I was wanting, and I'm intrigued by the mystery as well as amused by the 911 callers asking for help with things that totally make sense as dogs.

Any general comments?
I tend to take notes as I'm playing a game, so...
- The little things, like bouncing animations, are kind of perfect, and I'm kind of a fan of the meta interface explanation at the beginning.
- Minor nitpick: When you select an option at the beginning to ask Sparky, the options you select don't go away.
- "-When can I go out to the fields?!" probably doesn't want the leading -
- "The creator isn't very good at drawing machinery." :D :D :D
- Maya is adorable!
- The portrait for Rex sending in the troops is perfect
- The ball was never thrown? :o
- All caps with Sean, including the choices, are great
- Rex never says his name to Chica, but she thanks him by name
- The little comic interludes when you send in the hounds are great
- "You welcome" Not sure if that typo is intentional or not
- "How cold! Even when it's concerns... Your father?" should be "it"
- Dog jumping scene! So great!
- "...You promised?"
- Gizmo! :D
- "Didn't we just talked?"
- Sparky didn't show you closing procedures on your first day? Or is that an excuse to get you alone to talk about your dad?
- "You think I would just give on your dad just like that?"
- "But why chose a cat?"

The demo is short but is it interesting? Did you like any of the dogs?
The demo is great! Two days plus just enough of the overarching plot was enough to really get an idea of the game and its humor.

See my other games here or find me on Twitter