Artist opinions needed!

Art threads specific to a single artist.
alleyneangel
Projects: A Trial of Hearts
Organization: Novel Thought Studios
itch: alleyneangel

Artist opinions needed!

#1 Post by alleyneangel »

Hello ^_^

My sister and I are trying to make our first visual novel, but artist I am not. We are relying fairly heavily on free content and we found the perfect sprites on tokudaya.net. However we needed the girl to have a more medieval looking dress. So, I decided to try my hand at editing her dress on photoshop (yay for youtube tutorials :lol:) As I have a rather underwhelming amount of practice involving anything much more complicated than a stick figure, I'm sure there are some details that I've overlooked, or something that I've missed that would make the dress look a bit cleaner, or whatever. I'm hoping I can get some second opinions and advice here. Is there something else I should add/take away? Does it look ok? Or, ya know, if it completely sucks please let me know that too because then I'll just change the time frame of the visual novel setting and promise to never art again :lol:

Edited dress (all credit goes to tokudaya.net I just edited the dress a bit):
Elaine.png
Original for reference (all credit goes to tokudaya.net):
MainGirl1 Normal.png

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Artist opinions needed!

#2 Post by Mammon »

This edit is pretty good. I'm actually weirded out more by her lacking eyebrow than the things you changed, and the 'cleavage' looks quite natural as if this is the original. With the white stripe thing, your character is standing 45° to the left so the belt's centre should too and the white stripe hanging from it should be curved to the left. The sleeve looks a bit clumsy, maybe make a skin-tight sleeve that fans out around the end (or not at all), those are easier to draw for the likes of you and I.

I can't tell if you're allowed to do this though, as I don't read japanese. Are you sure that they allow modifications to their sprites? Just asking to be sure.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

alleyneangel

#3 Post by alleyneangel »

Oh, haha I forgot to put back her eyebrow 😅 It's there in the psd file, I just took it off because I didn't want to accidentally delete it while fixing a screw up that I made on her face...

And thanks! I shall fix the belt and the sleeve.

Also, I ran it through google translate and emailed them to be sure. They do. ^_^

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

Threads that refer to one specific artist go into the Personal Art forum.

Moving.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

alleyneangel

#5 Post by alleyneangel »

oh, sorry about that!

alleyneangel

#6 Post by alleyneangel »

Mammon wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:22 am This edit is pretty good. I'm actually weirded out more by her lacking eyebrow than the things you changed, and the 'cleavage' looks quite natural as if this is the original. With the white stripe thing, your character is standing 45° to the left so the belt's centre should too and the white stripe hanging from it should be curved to the left. The sleeve looks a bit clumsy, maybe make a skin-tight sleeve that fans out around the end (or not at all), those are easier to draw for the likes of you and I.

I can't tell if you're allowed to do this though, as I don't read japanese. Are you sure that they allow modifications to their sprites? Just asking to be sure.
Alright, I think I addressed those corrections. Is this better?
Attachments
Elaine.jpg

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#7 Post by Mammon »

alleyneangel wrote:Alright, I think I addressed those corrections. Is this better?
Most certainly, it looks great! Nice sleeves! Maybe add a bit of curve to the currently straight lines of her dress split, it is bellowing out after all. Other than that, nothing to improve!
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

alleyneangel

#8 Post by alleyneangel »

Thanks! Will do ^_^ this took me a while but I'm glad I did it, because now I know I can 😁