Music for sexual scenes (SFW)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Fealow

Music for sexual scenes (SFW)

#1 Post by Fealow »

So I'm currently working as a composer for an adult themed game, I've got a signifigant amount of experience under my belt, but i've sort of ran into a small roadblock for the next set of tracks I need to write. Basically, despite how long i've been writing music I've never once had to write anything for a scene that involves love making or spontaneous sexual activity or something that just sounds sexy in general. These scenes also have an element of humor to them as well as they're more often than not spotaneous and happen based on a player's response/s.

With that in mind are there any composers here who have any experience with this and would be willing to share some advice or resources I can take a look/listen to get me moving in the right direction? Kinda looking for what sort of musical elements can typicaly be found in this kind of music. I've gotten as far as listening to smooth jazz and funky saxphone tracks to see if anything sort of fits the feel of these scenes, but nothings really sticking with me so far.

Thanks.

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

Re: Music for sexual scenes (SFW)

#2 Post by Dovahkitteh »

While I'm not a composer myself, I've had to provide references and direction for the composers who make the tracks for our games' sexy scenes. It's very difficult to find something that sounds romantic and not cheesy -- especially if you want it to be a general enough song to be used for other non-NSFW scenes, as well.

The instrumentation should vary some based on theme, in my personal views. For our fantasy game Requiescence, we went with harp/piano to evoke "tenderness," and the whole song is fairly emotional (and also used for some SFW emotional scenes, too). You can hear that theme here.

However, for a lot of more modern games, there tends to be a frequent pattern of floaty feeling synths and a kind of particular beat. Here's an example of the NSFW-scene song from Phantom Thief Jade, and here you can find the NSFW-scene song from DMMD. You'll also notice a pretty identical vibe in this song from CAGE-OPEN-.

Lucky Dog's sexytimes song is slower and a bit jazzier, which fits the early-mid 1900s setting.

Note that these are all Japanese VNs aside from Requiescence, so that might account for some similarities in style. But hopefully this helps a bit!

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

Fealow

#3 Post by Fealow »

Thanks for the response i'll definetly take a look at those samples!

Only problem I've got is that the project im working on is a western VN so theres probably going to be some genre/arrangement differences that are required. My biggest concern however is the humor element I mentioned. Even though there are scenes that are more emotional and a result of building a relationship, a lot of them are spur of the moment "didn't see that coming" scenes. So i'll have to mull that over a bit longer.

J-Ray
Regular

#4 Post by J-Ray »

It depends on the scene, of course...
For sweet scenes Smooth Jazz music should be relevant; for scenes with more deep feelings involved, I think something with Noir mood could be good. New Age might work as well, but that humor element you've mentoned...
Anyway, as it music should respond to visual content, it's hard to give a 100% advice :)

Fealow

#5 Post by Fealow »

Had a bit of an idea come to mind for the humorous aspect.

I was thinking that maybe it's better to focus less on the sexyness of these scenes as the acts that take place in them speak for themselves so attempting to reinforce them with anything sensual/sexy sounding is likely going to miss the mark and be more distracting than anything else e.g. having some fun in a public changing room, a park in the middle of the night, a helping hand in a hospital etc... is less romantic and more promiscuous or risque which lends itself to humor. So with that said I was thinking along the lines of a bassoon and/or bass calrinet for that low key comical/playful sound. I'm sure you've probably come across this type of music before somewhere.