What do you think of my art?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
pikabyunn
Projects: webcomic : Chronicles of Esteria (WIP)

What do you think of my art?

#1 Post by pikabyunn »

Hi, kind of new here.

I've been lurking about the game devving part of these forums for years now and a friend gave me a gentle push in the back to finally make an account and join the forums.
I'm not quite familiar with this scene (aside from following how games progressed until release) So I'm not sure if my art is suitable enough to open commissions here, get in on collaborations for some of my favourite game genres or if I need to change anything. So I'm opening a little "what do you think" thread as my first thread.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: What do you think of my art?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

Your BGs are fine for a free project, I think, but not detailed enough to be used in a commercial game. Still, at a low enough price I think you can probably still do commissions to improve your skills.

You will easily be able to do commissions for character art though. There is some room for improvement, particularly in regards to, again, fine detail and maybe some proportions, but it's definitely within the threshold of "people will pay money for it".

Cakey
Regular
Deviantart: Ilsaaaaa

#3 Post by Cakey »

I think it is very good and makes very nice, mysterious atmosphere. It could be made in awesome game. Girl with dark skin and crooked nose makes me smile from satisfaction. I like that you make various characters and backgrounds are nice but if you would want to merge it into a game you would have make things mathing with details. Backgrounds seem to be not finished and polished enough.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#4 Post by Steamgirl »

Personally I really love your art! If it was me, I'd collaborate with you on a project, and check out games that you'd be the main artist on. There's just something really appealing about the characters... they've got life to them... volume... dynamism. Your examples don't immediately make me think "this could be commercial" but somehow I get the feeling a lot of them are more doodles than finished pieces?

The backgrounds are a bit rough but I think the painterly style could work pretty well. It reminds me a bit of Jacob's Island (here's a link to their (sadly unsuccessful) Kickstarter page). Very sad they went on hiatus after the Kickstarter, the demo is REALLY good imho.

Somehow I get the feeling you'd be really good at CGs, even though none of the art you've shown is "complete" enough to be a CG.

If you're interested in having a stab at making a CG or a background for Stranded Hearts feel free to PM me. ^_^

Ibitz
Regular
Projects: Magical Disarray (WIP)
Organization: Ibitz Visual Novels
Deviantart: http://ibitz.deviant
itch: ibitz

#5 Post by Ibitz »

I think your art is nicely done. It has a sort of Fairytale-esque feel to it, which makes me love it a lot. I could see your type of art in a fantasy VN based on things like Thumbelina or whatnot. You do a really good job at drawing, especially with backgrounds. I'd be interested to see what more you can/could do.

Ibitz is a self-taught coder/artist who works alone on their games. All games I create are freeware. If you need any help with coding or creating your game, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.